Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 13, 2015 2:08 PM
Mar 2015
I just finished Chihayafuru S2, and it just made its way into my Favorite Anime list, that thing was amazing, the 50 episodes took like 3-4 days to watch. Im wondering, do you guys think there is going to be a 3rd season, or should there be one? I strongly believe a third season is a MUST. I have no idea how well the anime did in Japan but I'm sure it can't be that bad, it was made by Madhouse after all. Or is it based off of a manga that is missing material? I'm just wondering if anyone has information or just simply thoughts on that matter at hand.
Jun 13, 2015 2:21 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=28805

They've covered 17 volumes in these 2 seasons. The manga is currently at volume 27. So yes, there should be enough content for a full third season as it is already

As for when/if that'll actually happen... I don't know. Depends on Madhouse
Jun 13, 2015 2:27 PM
Mar 2015
Lancehot said:
I'd just love another 25 episodes of Chihaya repeatedly winning her poem snap game but always needing one more game before she plucks up the courage to ask her childhood crush to the prom which he wouldn't go to because he's now a sulky twat but she doesn't want to admit that he's changed so fuck me what a crock of shit.

Which childhood friend are we talking about here?
Nov 15, 2015 4:53 PM
Nov 2014
SomeAnimeNerd said:
Lancehot said:
I'd just love another 25 episodes of Chihaya repeatedly winning her poem snap game but always needing one more game before she plucks up the courage to ask her childhood crush to the prom which he wouldn't go to because he's now a sulky twat but she doesn't want to admit that he's changed so fuck me what a crock of shit.

Which childhood friend are we talking about here?

They are talking about Arata, but who tf likes arata, i mean like come on, I'M ROOTING FOR TAICHI
Nov 18, 2015 4:34 AM

Jan 2014
That's like asking for Spice and Wolf 3 which is like asking for Half Life 3 which is never going to happen so... No. I don't think so, anyway.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2015 4:28 AM
May 2015
The manga is ongoing and the manga and anime both versions of Chihayafuru are massive hit, so there will be season 3 but when we don't know. Madhouse hasn't started any project I season 3 but in future we will be able to season 3 and most probably season 4 also. <Arata fan>
Mar 23, 2016 9:28 AM

May 2013
IT"S BEEN 3 GODDAMN YEARS. ANNOUNCE S3 ALREADY.

#rage out
Apr 5, 2016 7:47 AM

Feb 2015
SomeAnimeNerd said:
I just finished Chihayafuru S2, and it just made its way into my Favorite Anime list, that thing was amazing, the 50 episodes took like 3-4 days to watch. Im wondering, do you guys think there is going to be a 3rd season, or should there be one? I strongly believe a third season is a MUST. I have no idea how well the anime did in Japan but I'm sure it can't be that bad, it was made by Madhouse after all. Or is it based off of a manga that is missing material? I'm just wondering if anyone has information or just simply thoughts on that matter at hand.

3 years will be in june.

1. First will be movie based on anime

then...

2. in 2017r. we will see season 3 of Chihayafuru

Picture was cut but I can confirm Chihayafuru in 2017 r. A little more patience ;)
Apr 8, 2016 1:56 PM
Sep 2009
Seriously? Season 3 is happening? 2017 can't come soon enough!

I re-watched 1st two season couple months ago and enjoyed them just as much as 1st time around.
Apr 8, 2016 11:50 PM

May 2012
During my trip to Japan this past March, I was wondering about this fresh-sounding Jpop song I kept hearing time and again. It turns out it was Perfume's FLASH, which is inspired by Chihayafuru! It's actually the theme for the live action film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNS2RX5olk
Apr 14, 2016 12:42 PM

Sep 2012
LastHeaven said:
SomeAnimeNerd said:

3 years will be in june.

then...

Picture was cut but I can confirm Chihayafuru in 2017 r. A little more patience ;)

YES! Words cannot described how elated I am to read the news about a third season (though I don't really care for the live-action film). Reading the manga is great, but it's even better to see the karuta matches animated!

I hope Chihayafuru is licensed in the near future too.
Apr 14, 2016 1:24 PM
Feb 2012
The first 2 seasons released do not contain English subs. Though I found both seasons intense with excellent pacing and art direction these shows must carry more favor in Japan than elsewhere. As for a Season 3 I would hope it follows the lives of the main players more than the stratagem intricacies of regional competition. I also wish someone would English sub Seasons 1 & 2.
Apr 14, 2016 5:16 PM
Mar 2015
bemusedBohemian said:
The first 2 seasons released do not contain English subs. Though I found both seasons intense with excellent pacing and art direction these shows must carry more favor in Japan than elsewhere. As for a Season 3 I would hope it follows the lives of the main players more than the stratagem intricacies of regional competition. I also wish someone would English sub Seasons 1 & 2.

Season 1 & 2 are subbed fam. In like 999999 places.
Apr 14, 2016 7:09 PM
Feb 2012
SomeAnimeNerd said:
bemusedBohemian said:

Season 1 & 2 are subbed fam. In like 999999 places.

The simulcasts are subbed. You are correct. My statement was in fact an oversight re that. However, the anime BDs to be released won't be. This show would have been a nice addition in my hard copy collection but since I don't understand Japanese I'll avoid buying the series. Sorry about the confusion from misstating certain facts.
Apr 20, 2016 8:38 PM
Apr 2016
Where can I get the Manga series that is English subbed??
Jul 9, 2016 9:38 PM
Jan 2015
LastHeaven said:

Please do not use fake images to falsely raise up people's hope.

That image is a crop of the Season 2 Blu-Ray box set:

There are NO announcements/evidence of a Season 3 in 2017!
Sep 8, 2016 10:07 AM
May 2010
I'm wondering if they're waiting for the manga to get to the point where they can do a three or four cour run because given that the first two seasons covered about 93 chapters, the remaining 80 or so chapters might be enough for three or four cour, even more perhaps. If it sold well enough, it's not impossible that they might end up waiting for the manga to end and give us a mostly filler free adaptation worthy of being the final puzzle. One of the reasons I think this is the cause is that each of the two previous seasons has been a single year, but the last year already is almost as much as both the previous years combined. It's definatly coming however, If a series was popular enough to spawn a two cour sequal and two live action adaptations, it's only a matter of time until season three rolls along.
Oct 12, 2016 8:10 AM
Mar 2013
Seriously why would someone like Taichi !?
Oct 23, 2016 1:58 PM

May 2013
akisame__ said:
LastHeaven said:

3 years will be in june.

then...

YES! Words cannot described how elated I am to read the news about a third season (though I don't really care for the live-action film). Reading the manga is great, but it's even better to see the karuta matches animated!

urm since you read the manga I want to ask does the continuation of s2 have more romantic developments or it will be more focused on karuta?
Oct 27, 2016 1:46 PM

Sep 2012
Krasa said:
akisame__ said:

urm since you read the manga I want to ask does the continuation of s2 have more romantic developments or it will be more focused on karuta?

Feb 2, 2017 2:13 AM
Jan 2016
... so it's 2017 and clearly still no sign of a season 3...

Does anyone know if the movie is any good at least?
Feb 5, 2017 9:46 AM

Apr 2014
Nadimi said:

The movie is actually very strong, to my surprise. It's very competently directed, especially during the karuta scenes and the more emotional moments (very intense and engaging stuff there, just like in the anime). The cinematography is quite strong and appealing, as well. In other words, it's a very a cinematic production, and it's not half assed whatsoever.

The best part of the movies to me is the supporting cast. Each character is well portrayed and given enough screen time to honor their source material counterpart; I loved shinobu's and Sudo's casting. And Desk-kun really surprises in the first film. Though sadly nikuman-kun----I mean nishida is regulated to comic relief compared to the other four main members.

Anyways, despite some changes and character exclusions, I think the two films perfectly capture the artistry and passion of the anime. It's inspirational and can be deeply affective and moving, especially near the end of the first film which had me tearing up.

So, I'd say definitely give the two movies a watch if you're a fan of the anime. I think the they are truly excellent, though it's probably cause I'm a huge fan of the series. Also, the karuta scenes are truly excellent and intense!
Feb 5, 2017 10:50 PM
Jan 2016
heyheyhey13 said:
Nadimi said:

The movie is actually very strong, to my surprise. It's very competently directed, especially during the karuta scenes and the more emotional moments (very intense and engaging stuff there, just like in the anime). The cinematography is quite strong and appealing, as well. In other words, it's a very a cinematic production, and it's not half assed whatsoever.

The best part of the movies to me is the supporting cast. Each character is well portrayed and given enough screen time to honor their source material counterpart; I loved shinobu's and Sudo's casting. And Desk-kun really surprises in the first film. Though sadly nikuman-kun----I mean nishida is regulated to comic relief compared to the other four main members.

Anyways, despite some changes and character exclusions, I think the two films perfectly capture the artistry and passion of the anime. It's inspirational and can be deeply affective and moving, especially near the end of the first film which had me tearing up.

So, I'd say definitely give the two movies a watch if you're a fan of the anime. I think the they are truly excellent, though it's probably cause I'm a huge fan of the series. Also, the karuta scenes are truly excellent and intense!

Thank you so much for your detailed review and insight. It definitely makes me want to watch the movies so I'll make sure to look into that.

I'm also a big fan of the series and therefore felt somewhat underwhelmed after finishing the second season and realizing there wouldn't be another one anytime soon...

Oh well, at least we still have the manga and the movies to read and watch, respectively :) And the anime to re-watch, of course :P
Feb 6, 2017 7:08 AM

Apr 2014
Nadimi said:
heyheyhey13 said:

Thank you so much for your detailed review and insight. It definitely makes me want to watch the movies so I'll make sure to look into that.

I'm also a big fan of the series and therefore felt somewhat underwhelmed after finishing the second season and realizing there wouldn't be another one anytime soon...

Oh well, at least we still have the manga and the movies to read and watch, respectively :) And the anime to re-watch, of course :P

Cool! Lemme know what you think of it when ya do watch it.

And yeah, they totally need to make a season three, four, and five..... cause that would be awesome
Feb 13, 2017 8:33 PM
Jul 2018
No news for a third season but this is a very nice summary. I think the Live Action director made some interesting choices and included elements from the manga that were omitted by those who created the animated series - while omitting or repurposing other elements in turn. Each version cleverly created to offer a slightly different view of the same universe. Each can stand on its own and is in many respects unique but holds up in comparison to the other versions. Not carbon copies by reinterpretations and re-imaginings in a different medium - a different medium each creator understood deeply and used to their advantage.

... other reason to drop in, you probably already know this, but filming for a third live action movie will begin sometime this spring.

Maybe interest in the new English translation of the manga will also generate renewed interest in the continuation of the animated series. Certainly hope so.
Mar 5, 2017 3:23 PM

Dec 2013
Excellent manga, excellent anime, completed by excellent live action movie, the last time something like this happened was during Nodame reign.

S3 NOW!!!
Sep 7, 2017 12:26 AM
Apr 2017
*awaits season 3*
Oct 1, 2017 2:49 AM
Oct 2017
Season 3 please? Any news about the release?
Oct 16, 2017 4:51 PM
May 2016
I want to watch a 3rd season, NOW!!! please šŸ˜£

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.