Forum Settings
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 14, 2015 6:26 AM

Jul 2014
Sure I expected something more conclusive.
Aug 19, 2015 12:10 PM

Jan 2013
Mushishi will be missed dearly. I'm so incredibly happy that all of it got adapted.

I wonder why people expected closure out of this movie though. Is there a thing such as closure to a series like this?

Anyway, loved it.
Aug 20, 2015 10:59 PM

Mar 2015
Beautiful as always. The art was really fantastic. It will be missed.
Aug 21, 2015 4:14 AM

Jan 2014
MadRoosterr said:
Conan2k5 said:
Great Episode, not one of my favorites but a good farewell to this masterpiece of a series. Although I know that Mushishi is not predominantly about Ginko and more about bis travels and the people and the Mushi he meets on them, I would have loved to see a reunion with Tanyuu(the woman with the black leg) and a final conclusion to the Forbidden Mushi. All in all I will Miss this series greatly and especially its OST.

Completely agree. Ginko and Tanyuu OTP

I felt that overall, the second half of the second season was a bit lacking in Ginko's interaction with others. It didn't do anything to decrease the quality of the series, but it felt different, much more lonely. I missed Tanyuu, I missed the doctor, I missed characters like Suzu (Ginko x Suzu, and Doctor x Inkstone Lady OTP's for me), and in general Ginko seemed to get much less involved with or attached to the people he met along the road.

I think this was a choice, specifically for the last part of the series, to show how it is for Ginko 95% of the time, and how it ultimately must be. I also think Ginko's offer to take Kaya's place fits with this, and is much less selfless that it may seem. Remember that in the end he will be consumed by the darkness anyway. That's a fact, though one perhaps only Ginko himself dares to acknowledge. Trading places with Kaya would thus only hasten the inevitable, and at the same time perhaps even provide a better alternative.
LaionidasAug 21, 2015 4:18 AM
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 21, 2015 10:55 AM

Jan 2008
So it ends on a sad note. What a bummer. What, they couldn't have taken the life of a deer, wolf, or a monkey? They were about to take Gingko's life, so it didn't have to be any specific person or animal. Those beings even admitted that they fucked up, yet were still going to take a sacrifice. That's like God himself saying "I fucked up. But you're still going to hell for something you didn't do." WTF!? Nothing resolved with that girl's disabled leg from way back when, no sense of closure, and they give us an asspull of a finale with the theme of "People die. Deal with it."--garbage ending.
Aug 24, 2015 11:53 AM
Nov 2012
I liked Mushishi. It had some great episodes and some not so great episodes, which made me lower my rating to 9/10.
I really liked Hihamukage, since it was what I liked about Mushishi the most so I rated it 10/10.
The first 10 episodes of Zoku Shou were okay, but not great, so overall 8/10.
Odoro no Michi seemed to be starting something interesting, but in the end, it was left at an interesting point, without any closure later, so 8/10.
The 10 episodes of Zoku Shou 2nd were more to my liking, meaning more pessimistic and heavy, but not as great as the best parts of the first season of Mushishi, or Hihamukage, so 9/10.
The last episode Suzu no Shizuku was nice, but didn’t seem like a good FINAL episode. The scale was too small, so 9/10.
In my opinion, there should be something about the Forbidden Mushi in the Final Arc. Something progressed about that matter in Odoro no Michi, but it was just left at that point. That’s a bit of a downer, since it could have been extremely interesting.

What could be made there? Let’s see…

Still, definitely a show worth watching.
kenzuAug 24, 2015 12:04 PM
Aug 29, 2015 3:37 PM

Sep 2014
men am gonna miss this show~~
i heard it adapted the last chapters of the manga....this is just sad.
thanks for the hard work ginko-senpai.

Bookmeter ╠╣ class summon
Aug 31, 2015 10:05 AM

Nov 2009
Mushishi is poplular, right? I wish the mangaka drew Mushishi 2!
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Sep 6, 2015 8:42 AM

Jul 2012
A beautiful anime had just come to an end.

Conan2k5 said:
Great Episode, not one of my favorites but a good farewell to this masterpiece of a series. Although I know that Mushishi is not predominantly about Ginko and more about bis travels and the people and the Mushi he meets on them, I would have loved to see a reunion with Tanyuu(the woman with the black leg) and a final conclusion to the Forbidden Mushi. All in all I will Miss this series greatly and especially its OST.

That would have really made me happy. Sadly, they didn't show much about Tanyuu and maybe this is how the story should be.

SamiiSep 6, 2015 9:34 AM
Sep 11, 2015 12:52 PM

May 2011
I was really nervous for Ginko there for a bit, knowing this was the end and not having read the chapters. A beautiful way to show the way people can be connected to all that is around them. Although, as others have said, not a favorite arc for me, still, I'm content.
Sep 13, 2015 3:36 AM
Nov 2014
It's really sad to see such an amazing series like Mushishi comes to an end, but all good things must comes to an end sooner or later. I'll miss you Ginko, specially his hair :D

The story was really tragic, I feel bad for Kaya and especially her family. Being choosen to be the lord of a mountain at such a young age...sad. I was really worried about Ginko for a sec, I thought he would sacrificed himself at the end. Glad he didn't.

Ginko's journey continues but it's rather sad that we won't experience it again... :( Amazing art, great animation to boost and fantastic atmosphere. What's not to love ?
Sep 13, 2015 5:28 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, that art.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 25, 2015 6:25 AM

Jul 2013
I expected something stronger like the eps from Zoku Shou 2 tbh, but it didn't disapoint me at all, luckily I found it in HD, and gosh, the art, sound effects, it was all perfect. When those bells rang at the end it gave me goosebumps, that part was so beautiful... Thanks to a fb page I found out this show and watched all of it and I regret nothing.

Well, that's it, 10/10 show, hope to find another anime on this level. See ya.
Sep 25, 2015 5:20 PM

Mar 2013
Ginko being consumed by the mountain or becoming the new mountain lord would've been the perfect ending. the open ending isn't bad but it doesn't feel like closure :/

RIP best show
Sep 27, 2015 3:57 PM

Apr 2014
I can't believe it has finished. It is the most climatic and emotional series i've ever watched. i will miss this show but it's obviously that i'll come back to it soon. But now i fell at least month break from anime. To sum up it's masterpiece, i can't say which episode is better and which worse. Every episode has something special in, that's the reason why this anime is so incredible, each episode give you different sensations. Ending destroyed me.
Oct 6, 2015 12:30 PM
Mar 2011
So, it ended. It was a good and unique show (I still cannot find anything similar to this). I also hoped to see the recurring characters (the narrator, the guy, the book lady...). But it was just like a usual episode. And it was the last. I wish the manga continue and develop the world, but I don't know if it's possible...
Oct 7, 2015 8:58 AM
Feb 2012
For some reason I had a different picture in mind when reading the title. And since it's the last arc I figured I would involve Ginko's personal situation more and that woman whose legs are cursed (can't remember her name but the one that clearly loves Ginko).

Still, it ended like it began- with a bittersweet mushi story and beautiful music. Thank you for the incredible journey, Ginko, and farewell.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Oct 22, 2015 5:44 PM

Sep 2015
Beautiful conclusion to an amazing anime. There really is nothing quite like Mushishi
Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier
Oct 24, 2015 4:35 PM
Jun 2014
I now have that empty feeling you get when you finish an anime that you wish never ended. The only thing I was disappointed with here was that there was no real closure to the show. Nothing really changes for Ginko; he's the same guy in the first episode as he is here in the last. Still, what an awesome journey it was.
Nov 2, 2015 2:05 PM

May 2012
Damn I can't believe this is the last part of the magnificent franchise Mushishi :/
Really amazing episode/movie I must say, it really captured the complete atmosphere once again and so beautifully I must add, even with all the rather dark and sad moments!

Really great but ow so sad this is the last part! This franchise is a true masterpiece!
Nov 8, 2015 8:08 PM

Jul 2009
I had few thought like this throughout the whole series, but this tipped the scale.
Those mushi and that damned circle of light are too fucking cocky. It really makes me wanna slap this version of Earth with shit tonne of gray goo, and dismantle the whole planet to base elements.

What now shiny bastards? Where's your precious mountain now? Oh, I'm sorry. It was turned into carbon/silicate soup that will be turned into my Niven Ring! No entry for shiny assholes.
Nov 9, 2015 7:59 AM

Aug 2008
Goodbye Mushishi.
Mushishi is surely the most exceptional anime out there, and will always be.

I'm definitely going to rewatch the whole franchise again.
Nov 26, 2015 8:49 PM
Jan 2010
It was a good movie, but the ending was crap. A very sad ending. Tearjerker.

Anime should not end like this. Kaya should survive.
Nov 28, 2015 9:12 PM

Mar 2012
Farewell Ginko, the ever-wanderer, off to have adventures beyond what we will witness.

Although the series ends perfectly with the final piece of calligraphy paper fading out, a part of me wishes they ended with Ginko saying "Until we meet again.".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I put off watching this for as long as I could resist because I didn't want the journey to end.
But now that it's over, I should like to rewatch Mushishi from the beginning again, someday.

I thought this poetic excerpt from this blog post summed up the episode poignantly:

"The more we have the more we lose, and the more we lose the more we appreciate the sweet, terrible sadness that life is. The sound of bells in the woods may just as beautiful as when we heard them as a boy, but a man who hears them no longer does so with the same ears. He knows their significance, and that changes everything."

lostinanime: Mushishi - Drops of Bells
xxxATiONJan 12, 2016 10:48 PM
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Dec 8, 2015 5:55 PM

Jul 2014
This was an amazing special. I'll miss this show.

5/5
Dec 22, 2015 5:56 AM

Aug 2008
Poor Kaya. Thanks for everything Mushishi and Ginko. One of the greatest show. I will miss you.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 27, 2015 8:12 AM

Nov 2011
NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT'S DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNE

FUCK YOU

NO

NO

FUCK NO

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
Dec 30, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
Fare thee well, favorite anime... 10/10
Jan 5, 2016 9:54 PM

Jun 2008
xxxATiON said:

I put off watching this for as long as I could resist because I didn't want the journey to end.
Me too. I've watched the first series like 4 or 5 times, and just went through Zoku Shou for the 3rd time.

I wonder if the events of this story actually happened before ep 11 of season 1, The Sleeping Mountain. Here's a summary refresher:

I say that because Ginko was talking to Kaya as if he's never met any human in the role of the Mountain Lord before. If ep 11 happened after this, doesn't contradict what happened here; the law said they won't choose another human to be the Lord, and Mujika wasn't born/chosen as one, he took over as one.

While this episode doesn't tie up all the loose ends (for example, Tanyu and the forbidden mushi, whether she'll get rid of it and travel with Ginko; whether Aya and Ito were able to reunite or if too much time had passed; whether Adashino will finally be able to see mushi etc), I feel like it does have some sort of closure:

Ep 1 of Zoku Shou season 2 showed Ginko as a kid interacting with the mushi banquet, where the laws of nature allowed him to live despite what he did. I felt like it's come full circle with him going to meet the laws of nature willingly.

So while it's not a grandiose finale, I feel like it's a fitting one. Ginko shares his thoughts about where we all fit within the cycle of life, which is what the whole series is about.

Now I have the same feeling I get when I reach the end of a good slice of life anime, a bitter-sweet feeling, much like the end of a lot of Mushishi episodes.
MapleRoseJan 5, 2016 9:57 PM
Jan 7, 2016 12:01 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
xxxATiON said:

But now that it's over, I should like to rewatch Mushishi from the beginning again, someday.

I thought this poetic excerpt from this blog post summed up the episode poignantly:

"The more we have the more we lose, and the more we lose the more we appreciate the sweet, terrible sadness that life is. The sound of bells in the woods may just as beautiful as when we heard them as a boy, but a man who hears them no longer does so with the same ears. He knows their significance, and that changes everything."

lostinanime: Mushishi - Drops of Bells

Same, as much as I was excited about this movie, and how I had countless of times, opened the tab to the movie and loaded it, yet to never actually watch it. I was denying the end of Mushishi, but I finally faced it. And it was way beyond my expectation. I too will rewatch this series one day.

I love Enzo's posts on Mushishi, he always has something interesting to say. He mentioned mono no aware, which is exactly what I thought of after this episode. Suzu no Shizuku really hits home the theme of impermanence of life, as well as the continuing cycle of it. Kaya's words about her being the mountain, experiencing life and death of different plants and creatures, was beautiful. Such awareness and nature and life couldn't have been described any better. That's why I don't think this was tragic, because while Kaya, as a human, yearned for the warmth of a family, she also experienced something much bigger. Her life was short, but I think she was satisfied in the end. After seeing Ginko trying to sacrifice for her, she realized the significance of being the Lord of the Mountain, and at least she did have the experience the happiness of being with her family.

Mushishi is special because it doesn't always make me cry at the death of character, but sometimes, unknowingly, tears drop down at the beauty in certain scenes. In Suzu no Shizuku, all of the sudden, tears were flowing out as the bells dropped down. This series is so magical in the way it evokes emotions without really trying to. Kaya is somewhere they can never reach, but she isn't far away, this is line that I've heard before, but never has it been so fitting.

The ending was more than I could ever ask, it was neither happy nor sad, and showed the essence of nature and life. Together with the ED song and Ginko's last words, I couldn't help but smile and cry. It's really hard to say goodbye to such a timeless and beautiful series, I'm still quite emotional even though I finished it almost an hour ago.
Jan 7, 2016 2:25 AM

Jan 2013
I really liked the opening song, so good :)
Didnt expect the mountain to be so understanding ... or Kaya to give up herself for Ginko at the end.

Truly beautiful ending, as expected from Mushishi.

Mushishi is an one of a kind for sure, and this movie proves it yet again.

10/10
Jan 8, 2016 1:46 AM

Sep 2011
Finally got around to this... And wow, really good final arc. 9/10. Really sad to see the girl go off like that, but I'm so happy Ginko didn't get poofed away there.
Jan 12, 2016 11:08 PM

Mar 2012
MapleRose said:

Me too. I've watched the first series like 4 or 5 times, and just went through Zoku Shou for the 3rd time.

I wonder if the events of this story actually happened before ep 11 of season 1, The Sleeping Mountain. Here's a summary refresher:

I say that because Ginko was talking to Kaya as if he's never met any human in the role of the Mountain Lord before. If ep 11 happened after this, doesn't contradict what happened here; the law said they won't choose another human to be the Lord, and Mujika wasn't born/chosen as one, he took over as one.

Now that is an interesting point and quite possible. Actually, has anyone tried outlining a timeline of Ginko's travels? I know the stories hop back and forth between years and I'm not even thinking about mushi from Fragrant Darkness.

tingy said:

I love Enzo's posts on Mushishi, he always has something interesting to say. He mentioned mono no aware, which is exactly what I thought of after this episode. Suzu no Shizuku really hits home the theme of impermanence of life, as well as the continuing cycle of it. Kaya's words about her being the mountain, experiencing life and death of different plants and creatures, was beautiful. Such awareness and nature and life couldn't have been described any better. That's why I don't think this was tragic, because while Kaya, as a human, yearned for the warmth of a family, she also experienced something much bigger. Her life was short, but I think she was satisfied in the end. After seeing Ginko trying to sacrifice for her, she realized the significance of being the Lord of the Mountain, and at least she did have the experience the happiness of being with her family.

Mushishi is special because it doesn't always make me cry at the death of character, but sometimes, unknowingly, tears drop down at the beauty in certain scenes. In Suzu no Shizuku, all of the sudden, tears were flowing out as the bells dropped down. This series is so magical in the way it evokes emotions without really trying to. Kaya is somewhere they can never reach, but she isn't far away, this is line that I've heard before, but never has it been so fitting.

The ending was more than I could ever ask, it was neither happy nor sad, and showed the essence of nature and life. Together with the ED song and Ginko's last words, I couldn't help but smile and cry. It's really hard to say goodbye to such a timeless and beautiful series, I'm still quite emotional even though I finished it almost an hour ago.

That was beautifully said. After the end of each episode, I feel such a strange sense of melancholy and calm, mixed with contentment. If I was feeling restless or anxious before, I'm relaxed now thanks to Mushishi.
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Jan 13, 2016 12:59 PM

Feb 2013
So ends the best, most faithfully adapted anime ever. Farewell Ginko.
Jan 13, 2016 5:36 PM

Aug 2011
that was incredibly sorrowful ending and yet so beautiful.

circle of light were cruel to take kaya away. although that world is bound by nature's law. there's nothing that ginko could do. at least we know that mountains truly understands now.
at least ginko made it alive.

overall 10/10
Jan 29, 2016 4:45 AM

Oct 2013
No more Mushishi :( 10/10.
Feb 7, 2016 12:08 AM

Oct 2013
The finale portrays the core concept of the series very well. "If only human as part of the nature could accept everything as it is, there would be harmony among the nature."

It matters not to me if any previous issues solved or not, the series already told me that "Everything is only as it is.".

I can only hope to hear from you again, Gingo. Farewell ;_;
Feb 12, 2016 4:32 PM

Jul 2011
Well, some of closure would have been fine, but oh well, still good.
Feb 16, 2016 1:21 PM

Nov 2010
Absolutely stunning and beautiful..
It reminds me of the teachings of Taoism...
A big thank you towards the entire Team ...
Feb 21, 2016 4:50 PM
Apr 2011
One of the most soothing - relaxing animes i've ever watched each episode of it brings a smile on my face along with Ginko & his cigarettes :) ,
overall it was a great ending fit of a fantastic anime as this, yet was abit saddenned by kaya gone but it's still the main conclusion of the anime that we will follow the laws of nature & it's arrangement no matter what as humans we try to go distinct by our emotions & wisdom but it's that that makes us humans.

10/10 everything, ending was superb, Ginko you shall be missed reallly.
Apr 3, 2016 11:26 PM

Jul 2012
Shoot no more Mushishi after this? ):

Wish it could've gone on forever with unlimited stories to tell.
Apr 6, 2016 6:35 AM

Jun 2007
I can't get myself to watch this. Mushishi is the pinnacle of storytelling, the crystallization of what's best in anime. I don't want Ginko's story to end.
Apr 13, 2016 4:55 AM

Nov 2011
It was a fantastic ride, Mushishi is truly unique and beautiful. But I still feel kinda dissapointed, because I really hoped for more Ginko backstory and a bit more focus on him, than the mushi and people he meets. Oh well.
Apr 16, 2016 11:17 PM

Jul 2007
Now to figure out who's selling the series + this special via a box set.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Apr 17, 2016 5:24 PM

Feb 2015
Great episode real sad to see that this will be the last time I watch any new Mushishi content.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2016 6:52 AM
Jul 2008
Nuage said:
Just finished it.

Well, that was a beautiful anime, I can't see any flaw.

Thanks you for everything Ginko. :'(

seconds after that the beauty got ruined by this.. :(
May 21, 2016 4:16 AM

Aug 2014
Just as great as Mushishi 2005 and 2nd season episodes.
Love you Mushishi.
I dont know where i will find something similar to this.
Jun 8, 2016 9:25 PM

Apr 2009
Sad to see this show go away.
Thanks for the every night with a cup of tea Mushishi. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 6:49 AM

Dec 2013
Seems like some words like beautiful, amazing, smooth, fantastic etc invented for this series. What a time to be alive, really.
Jul 10, 2016 4:07 AM

Feb 2016
So in this era they had already invented gunpowder. Beautiful and calm episode as always with some intense moments in the middle part and nice looking landscape.

The dialogue in the mushi's banquet was intriguing. The ending part when the bells were ringing again was simply amazing. Overall rating goes like this 7/10.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is this the last of the anime?

AnnaSartin - Dec 28, 2016

2 by Sephir7 »»
Jul 23, 2022 4:18 AM

» Ginko´s Appearance

Pakumen- - Oct 1, 2019

1 by AntiMoba »»
Jul 12, 2020 6:21 AM

» Is this a separate story from Seasons?

ExTemplar - Sep 16, 2015

1 by Seyfert »»
Sep 22, 2015 2:21 PM

» Would it really only be available this November? (Unconfirmed)

Seyfert - Jun 13, 2015

16 by Daddy-O »»
Aug 17, 2015 12:44 PM

» How long is this film?

Kuandohan - Jun 22, 2015

2 by Kuandohan »»
Jul 11, 2015 9:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.