Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 19, 2008 10:13 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Deja-vu? Heh, same as the Gundam 00 topic.

I was wondering if I should watch all the other Macross anime before starting this one. There are a lot and if I'm honest, I can tell you I don't have the time to watch them all. But this one seems worth watching, and I'm usually not the one to watch a sequel before a prequel but I don't know how strongly all the Macross anime are connected.

Would be nice if someone could enlighten me, thanks!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 19, 2008 10:40 AM

Oct 2006
I've only seen the first episode, but from what I can tell it isn't very dependent on prior installments - it gives you a very general overview of the premise and that's plenty.

You really should watch some of the other shows eventually though, like the original and Macross Plus
Feb 19, 2008 11:04 AM

Jan 2007
I believe it is in the same timeline with the other Macross's but not necessary to watch. Personally, I won't be watching this till I watch the others.
Feb 19, 2008 11:21 AM

Mar 2007
I think it is possible to watch this and enjoy it, but you aren't really getting the complete experience. In the first episode alone, there were so many references (both visual and in the story) to previous series that it really makes watching it a lot more fun. There is a greater sense of history.

Besides, the original Macross and Macross Plus are simply awesome and should be watched regardless :) I even enjoyed Macross 7 a lot (Max and Miriya ftw!) but I know that I am in a minority there ^^ The only one I think can be skipped is Macross II.
Feb 19, 2008 1:22 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ah~ that#s just so much to watch. Thanks for your opinions guys. I guess I'll try to watch the other Macross anime before I start this one.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 19, 2008 1:36 PM

Oct 2006
I wasn't too fond of Macross II or Macross 7. But Macross Plus is awesome (and pretty short, which should make it easy to watch before) and the original is significantly longer but well worth seeing (it was the first anime I really got into, as Robotech).

Still, I don't think there's any reason to go back and watch them first. You might appreciate Frontier a bit more if you were familiar with and a fan of the earlier installments, but it isn't particularly dependent on them. The several-minute crash course on Macross history at the beginning of Frontier is plenty IMO.
Feb 19, 2008 2:54 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Alright, I'm not sure what I'll do but you guys helped me a lot, thanks!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 19, 2008 4:32 PM

Mar 2007
cyruz said:
Alright, I'm not sure what I'll do but you guys helped me a lot, thanks!

Well, if you don't have the time to watch all of the original Macross, you can always watch the "Macross: Do You Remember Love?" movie. It's like a super-condensed (yet very well animated) version of the TV series, and I think it and Macross Plus would be a good enough crash course before Macross Frontier, if you are strapped for time :)
Feb 19, 2008 4:59 PM

Oct 2006
That's a very good point. cyruz, do that =P
Feb 19, 2008 5:58 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Sounds like a plan, cheers!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 1, 2008 4:22 PM

Nov 2007
If you want to seize close to everything there is to seize about the Macross universe without necesarily watching the whole damn thing, you can watch the recaps in a particular ordre. According to AniDB, this order would be :
Macross Zero
Macross - Do You Remember Love ?
Macross II - Lovers Again
Macross Plus

You have a month before Macross F starts airing. ;)
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Mar 1, 2008 4:31 PM

Nov 2007
Don't bother with Macross II, it's not only non-canon, but it's a 'alternative story' bucket of shit.

If you want to watch it in 'order' then:
Macross Zero
Macross
Macross Plus
Macross Seven
Macross Frontier

Would be the way to go. However, it's possible to watch any of them without having seen the others. They're not all that tied together, none of them share characters or anything. Just the setting. The movies are generally pretty poor, too. Though Macross Plus is technically a movie, it's generally split in to four OVAs.

I wouldn't actually recommend you watch the older stuff, honestly. It might be pretty painful to revisit the ancient animation and stuff. =p Macross Zero, Plus and Frontier would be fine.
Mar 1, 2008 4:57 PM

Dec 2007
I think you can watch it without seeing the others, although i would recommend watching the others anyway seems as SDF Macross is so friggin awesome ;P.

But I agree with Asako, skip out Macross II its set in an alternate dimension and has nothing to do with the plot...
Mar 2, 2008 5:56 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Thanks, I'll stick with what's been recommended before though.

Windspirit said:
You have a month before Macross F starts airing. ;)

No it's actually already airing.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 2, 2008 6:00 AM

Nov 2007
cyruz said:
No it's actually already airing.

Sort of, but not really. The pilot/first ep aired at the beginning of this season, the series starts properly next season. Still a month away. I wouldn't call that currently airing. :\ Right bastards for doing it they are, too. Horrible to tease us with a full episode like that. >.<
Mar 2, 2008 6:09 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ah right, I still gotta watch it. :D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 18, 2008 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
Although watching the entire saga would be the right thing to do. I'm considering that Macross is too old for newcomers.

I watched Macross from the beginning when I was seven. And I kept watching all the series from then on... Recently I watched Macross 7, because I never had the time to do it when it aired, and it was an average experience that nearly crashed my love for the Macross Saga.

I'm considering, that, if you want to enjoy Macross Frontier, you should watch every season, every tiny bits of Macross saga to understand and enjoy the work on Macross F.

But if you can't, or you don't (or simply don't want to watch some old thingy), look after Macross Plus & Zero... Now I'm thinking that Frontier has a lot to do with Macross Zero, because of Sheryl Nome (she probably is the daughter of Mao Nome; or her Granddaughter).

And the ennemies seems to be connected somehow with the plot on Zero. I can be mistaken, but the more we go on the story, the more I'm convinced we'll have to dive further in the whereabout of Protoculture, the Nome's Dynasty, the mayan & probably (it's pure fantasy now), the destiny of Megaroad-1 on which Ikaru Ichijyo, Misa Hayase (his wife) and Lynn Minmay (the heroine of the great war between Earth & Zentradiis) went onboard.

What became of our heroes ?? If Macross Frontier doesn't answer these questions (and I'm sure it doesn't), then I'm dreaming for some ova, or movies in the future to settle the file... And let us know what happen, and what they became at least...

And don't forget, that in Macross, music is a powerful weapon, and also the ties between all of the series... If you pay attention you can hear some Lynn Minmay, Sharon Apple and Fire bomber in the background, the character sang it, because all of these artists are heroes and their song are simply like tales of the past, bond to the memory we have of these awesome show.
May 19, 2008 3:48 AM

Mar 2008
well i watched macross zero before it was gr8,

then i started on frontier, since i was indeed a bit interested in the prequels (but didn't want to spend too much time on them...)

i watched;
Macross: Do you remember love (i heard this was an okay "summary" on the macross saga?)
then macross plus OVA

well i can say i did enjoy them but i guess i have not yet gained a full image on the macross world. some things have become a bit more clearer but i'm still missing some motives (probably because i did not watch the macross series in full), or it could be because i might have been rushing it..

yeh i also notice many things alike in macross F and macross zero, i like it... lol imagine shin and sara showing up :P

anyways watching those did increase my enjoyment of macross F so i'm happy i decided to watch em
thanks for the recommandations in this topic everyone

MAL list updates
May 19, 2008 5:27 PM

Sep 2007
yeah Macross F does a good job of summing up what you need to know but some things like the whole deculture thing might confuse you if you have not seen the original or at least the summary version (Macross: Do you remember love).

Anyway,
- The original Macross (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross lol) is worth watching if you can stand older animes since it is still good
-Macross Plus isn't really necessary at all but it is very good and short so why not watch it
-Macross Plus... also not "really" needed but its an awesome anime at least watch the movie version or the OVA version
-As for the rest the OVAs (not including the Macross 7 ones) such as Macross Flash Back 2012 are all pretty good but not needed
-Macross 7... well... just do yourself a favor and don't watch it... I lasted 10 eps and my IQ dropped 10 points I mean its Macross it HAS to get better right!? but it never did ><
Sep 6, 2010 9:28 AM

Sep 2010
Hope there's still someone interested in this thread after 2 years :D
From what I get, it seems to be the best to see everything if you have the time and patience (and courage to see the old series). So I think I would.
But I have another question. If I'm right Macross Zero has aired long after the original Macross serie. Now I wonder if it's best to watch it chronological (so first Zero and than the rest), or if it's best to see it in the order it aired (so first Macross and so on).
It's like asking if you first have to watch the new Star Wars trilogy or the old.
MerushiOct 7, 2010 4:05 PM

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here
Sep 11, 2010 12:35 PM

May 2010
You don't need to watch the older Macross series at all to enjoy Frontier, everything is fairly self-contained and the only benefit you get from it is the references to the older shows. But I highly recommend watching the original series(or its remake film) to appreciate it more and it is WAY better than Frontier(even though its a great show). As mentioned before, Plus is also worth checking out, but I can't say anything about Macross 7. I tried watching it but I never got that far because it was too odd, but it has great music.
Dec 15, 2012 6:10 PM
Aug 2011
Well I Didn't know there was a sequel before Macross frontier >.< i want to watch all of them and can someone tell me the order it goes?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.