Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 30, 2015 3:57 PM

Jul 2014
Bloodshade said:
Red_Tuesday said:
If you've got a normal to enthusiast CPU, VLC is the best option.

People who complain about VLC mostly have mobile or outdated chips under the hood.

Other software render things more easily, but if you have the horsepower (and not THAT much is needed) VLC always has the best end result.

I personally can't stand the poor rasterization of subtitles in other software.

What is rasterisation? Which other softwarea are you referring to?

Refering to MPC, and poor rasterization means "not clean outline", I.E. the text is often aliased.

Jaggies on subtitles is my #1 pet peeve with media players.
May 30, 2015 8:26 PM

Dec 2014
Red_Tuesday said:
Bloodshade said:

What is rasterisation? Which other softwarea are you referring to?

Refering to MPC, and poor rasterization means "not clean outline", I.E. the text is often aliased.

Jaggies on subtitles is my #1 pet peeve with media players.

You are saying you had this problem with MPC - HC?

I don't think i noticed that with mpc or vlc. It plays almost identical to me. I just find VLC to be a lot less convoluted than MPC.
May 30, 2015 10:54 PM

Feb 2013
The whole point of using MPC-HC (nightly) is so you can use MadVR and xy-VsFilter.

The whole point of using MadVR is for it's smooth-motion setting. (it's hard to notice at first... until you shut it off... then ouch! my eyes!)

The whole point of using xy-VsFilter is because it is the only thing that renders SSA/ASS subs perfectly. (and I like karaoke and moving signs)

VLC is "easy". It's just not the best.

* I do not use ReClock. It caused frameskip/resync issues for me.
* MPV is the best I've found for linux, not perfect though.
May 30, 2015 11:47 PM

Dec 2014
BurntJelly said:
The whole point of using MPC-HC (nightly) is so you can use MadVR and xy-VsFilter.

The whole point of using MadVR is for it's smooth-motion setting. (it's hard to notice at first... until you shut it off... then ouch! my eyes!)

The whole point of using xy-VsFilter is because it is the only thing that renders SSA/ASS subs perfectly. (and I like karaoke and moving signs)

VLC is "easy". It's just not the best.

* I do not use ReClock. It caused frameskip/resync issues for me.
* MPV is the best I've found for linux, not perfect though.

I have the smooth-motion setting enabled (avoid motion judder). I notice it more on live t.v. shows and movies than in anime. Its still barely there. I also have madVR set to the highest preset for rendering.

This anime uses SSA subtitles. I don't think I see a difference.
May 31, 2015 12:16 AM

Sep 2011
Don't know. I've always used VLC. It's a simple program, has a lot of great features. It's reliable and I've never had any issues.

Honestly could careless what people use to watch anime as long as they enjoy it. Don't know why there needs to be some sort of 'elitism' towards media players. I guess it's just another way for some people to look down on what they perceive as 'peasants.'
May 31, 2015 3:49 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Bloodshade said:
I have the smooth-motion setting enabled (avoid motion judder). I notice it more on live t.v. shows and movies than in anime.

I used it when I was watching Arslan Senki. You can definitely notice it in scene with a lot of motion going on and in camera pans.

Your screenshots aren't very useful for comparison,they're too small, and windowed. this page has pretty much all you need to know about madVR. There's comparison screenshots at the bottom if you click on 'categories: madVR'.

As for xysubfilter, it only works (for now) with softsubs. And, are you actually using it? I don't know if you know this already, but first you have to turn off MPC's internal subtitle renderer (menu > playback, uncheck 'auto-load subtitles'). Then set it up properly (so that the subs are rendered at the same size of your pc screen or tv). To make sure right click on the video and go to 'filters' and check if 'xysubfilter (madVR)' is there.
May 31, 2015 8:27 AM

Dec 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
Bloodshade said:
I have the smooth-motion setting enabled (avoid motion judder). I notice it more on live t.v. shows and movies than in anime.

I used it when I was watching Arslan Senki. You can definitely notice it in scene with a lot of motion going on and in camera pans.

Your screenshots aren't very useful for comparison,they're too small, and windowed. this page has pretty much all you need to know about madVR. There's comparison screenshots at the bottom if you click on 'categories: madVR'.

As for xysubfilter, it only works (for now) with softsubs. And, are you actually using it? I don't know if you know this already, but first you have to turn off MPC's internal subtitle renderer (menu > playback, uncheck 'auto-load subtitles'). Then set it up properly (so that the subs are rendered at the same size of your pc screen or tv). To make sure right click on the video and go to 'filters' and check if 'xysubfilter (madVR)' is there.

They aren't small. Open them up on a different tab. What's there to know about MadVR? All I had to setup was rendering preset. I chose the highest tier because I have a pretty high end gpu, r9 290amd, not an nvidea. Not sure if that makes a difference. I also enabled smooth motion. I don't see any artifacts when I watch. I did the test for delayed or dropped frames, and there wasn't any. But on another part of the statistics it said there 1 frame drop every 30 something seconds. I use kcp so everything should be automatically setup the right way but I'll double check later. And yes I do remember seeing madvr and xysubfilter in filter options when I right click on the video.

I couldn't find the comparisons in the link you posted. Also I'll post screens of my current settings later on. Can't be at the desktop right now. God I hate typing on smart phones. -sigh-
BloodshadeMay 31, 2015 8:42 AM
May 31, 2015 7:45 PM

Dec 2014
BatoKusanagi said:
Bloodshade said:

The way you explained it seems like it had to be these current settings which I already have. It came like this default.

BloodshadeMay 31, 2015 7:53 PM
May 31, 2015 7:55 PM

Mar 2015
i'm a proud vlc user, I like the traffic cone on my screen
May 31, 2015 7:58 PM

Dec 2014
deftsu said:

LMAO. The funny thing is I said the same thing to myself when I tried mpc. It automatically made itself the default player for mkv files. I was freaked out how different it looked (icons) on my screen. I changed it back to vlc default right away. The cone looks better as an icon.
May 31, 2015 8:07 PM

Feb 2015
I use KMPlayer because I like their subtitles
May 31, 2015 8:20 PM

Mar 2015
Bloodshade said:
deftsu said:

LMAO. The funny thing is I said the same thing to myself when I tried mpc. It automatically made itself the default player for mkv files. I was freaked out how different it looked (icons) on my screen. I changed it back to vlc default right away. The cone looks better as an icon.

exactly!
May 31, 2015 8:28 PM
May 2015
I've used both. Currently using MPC-HC. I've never had any problems so unless you start analysing minute details (which the average pc user probably won't do) it's really just down to personal preference.
Oct 5, 2021 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
Sorry for reviving an old thread -- if this is not acceptable then I'll make a new one -- but if I may ask, what is the best media player to use in 2021?
I use VLC and I get some nasty artifacts on my videos. The file is mkv, 1080p x265 10bit. I honestly don't really know what the latter two things mean but apparently it's important. If VLC is the best player, then what settings should I change in order to remove artifacts? All video settings are default.
People seemed to love MPC, but it is discontinued now.

Can anyone here help me out?
Oct 5, 2021 5:30 PM

Nov 2008
I don't understand why the video player scene on PC is so freaking bad. I use MPC-HC, but there are a bunch of improvements I'd like to see on the dead program.

Oct 5, 2021 5:41 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
I'm still using pre much the same stuff I used 5 years ago when I posted in here lol

MPC-HC + madvr + lavfilters
Oct 7, 2021 5:34 AM

Mar 2008
Ezekiel said:
I don't understand why the video player scene on PC is so freaking bad. I use MPC-HC, but there are a bunch of improvements I'd like to see on the dead program.

Because you probably use Windows and many of the people really into programming have more a thing for making Linux FOSS but because they don't make money even then they make it a side project and eventually fall way behind.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
3 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

29 by _Nette_ »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.