Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do you think Hunter X Hunter could have been the most popular anime if it wasn't for the hiatuses?

New
Do you think Hunter X Hunter could have been the most popular anime if it wasn't for the hiatuses?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 8, 2015 4:46 PM

Jun 2014
Lolz
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Mar 8, 2015 4:47 PM

Feb 2013
It was pretty easy to find on mangafox
Mar 8, 2015 4:58 PM

Jan 2014
absolutely, I actually preferred the original version. It was a bit slower pace but I think it just had a lot more mature/darker feel to it. If they kept that going through what the 2011 version covered I think it would have attract a lot of fans.
Mar 8, 2015 5:17 PM

Jan 2014
Yeah, don't see HxH getting anywhere near OP's level of popularity. Also, One Piece's gap is only going to keep growing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 8, 2015 5:24 PM

Mar 2012
gedata said:
HxH would probably be over by now without hiatuses. After what happened to YYH, I doubt Togashi would be willing to belt out something as expansive as One Piece.

It's already far more expansive than One Piece.

I know it sounds like an exaggeration but for those who paid attention, GI alone was more "expansive" in terms of context than OP. It's not by chapter count.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 5:24 PM

Sep 2012
gedata said:
HxH would probably be over by now without hiatuses. After what happened to YYH, I doubt Togashi would be willing to belt out something as expansive as One Piece.

I even believe it would have ended with a rushed ending like Yu Yu Hakusho. That kind of schedule isn't meant for Togashi.
Mar 8, 2015 5:26 PM

Aug 2014
What are you smoking? HxH is pretty damn popular in Japan. It just doesn't have a lot of western influence.
Mar 8, 2015 5:28 PM

Feb 2013
Mikasa said:
gedata said:

I know it sounds like an exaggeration but for those who paid attention, GI alone was more "expansive" in terms of context than OP. It's not by chapter count.

Yeah when I said "expansive" I really meant in terms of quantity of story arcs. Had a feeling my post would attract your attention like this but I thought what I meant was clear enough.
Mar 8, 2015 5:29 PM

Dec 2013
If it wasn't for the hiatuses it would've ended a long time ago and it's popularity would be decreasing. HxH could never stand up to One Piece in terms of popularity.
Mar 8, 2015 5:31 PM

Mar 2012
gedata said:
Mikasa said:

Yeah when I said "expansive" I really meant in terms of quantity of story arcs. Had a feeling my post would attract your attention like this but I thought what I meant was clear enough.

Togashi already said he had 3-4 arcs in mind already so he can still pull off Naruto's length if he wanted.
Consequent said:
What are you smoking? HxH is pretty damn popular in Japan. It just doesn't have a lot of western influence.

Yeah but it would have been far more popularerer.
End Zionazism
Mar 8, 2015 5:31 PM

Dec 2012
G_Spark233 said:
If it wasn't for the hiatuses it would've ended a long time ago and it's popularity would be decreasing. HxH could never stand up to One Piece in terms of popularity.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1360235&show=80#msg38592117
Mar 8, 2015 6:11 PM
Feb 2012
Maybe it would however I'm skeptic the quality of its content would remain as it is. Working week in week out is draining afterall.
But he's like 50 year old now anyway so having his monthly hiatus suits him well.
Mar 8, 2015 6:17 PM

Nov 2014
SuperRed said:
Maybe.
Mar 8, 2015 6:39 PM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
G_Spark233 said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1360235&show=80#msg38592117

I don't really understand the logic. You're saying that at that before the hiatus the rankings and sales of HxH were about the same as One Piece, and then you said that without the hiatus, it could easily beat One Piece. But, what make you think the sales and ranking for HxH would have increased more than One Piece's sales and ranking during that time?

Edit: To put it more clearly, what makes you believe that without the hiatus, HxH would have evolved in a different way than One Piece.
SetsukoHaraMar 8, 2015 6:46 PM
Mar 8, 2015 6:58 PM

Mar 2010
No, not a chance.
Mar 8, 2015 6:59 PM

Feb 2013
Totally. Its popular as is. If it managed to run consistently, it would be definitely one of the most popular series out there.
Mar 8, 2015 7:09 PM

Aug 2012
Thread Moved.
Mar 9, 2015 5:41 AM

Dec 2012
SetsukoHara said:

I don't really understand the logic. You're saying that at that before the hiatus the rankings and sales of HxH were about the same as One Piece, and then you said that without the hiatus, it could easily beat One Piece. But, what make you think the sales and ranking for HxH would have increased more than One Piece's sales and ranking during that time?

Edit: To put it more clearly, what makes you believe that without the hiatus, HxH would have evolved in a different way than One Piece.

I just think the hiatuses halted it's momentum, it got an anime very early on, and I think if it was released normally, it would have gained more fans.

YYH was very big, and has a high average (2.4) HxH would have been the same, but with a lot more volumes.
Mar 9, 2015 5:51 AM

Apr 2013
Don't think so, though I haven't watched it so I can't be too sure.
Mar 9, 2015 12:25 PM

Aug 2014
tsudecimo said:

Not really, the (2011) version is not that popular be it west or Japan.

I can understand Japan but the west? What evidence could you have to support that?
Mar 9, 2015 12:31 PM

Jun 2014
Selket said:
tsudecimo said:

I can understand Japan but the west? What evidence could you have to support that?
I wonder that as well. It has already been dubbed in France and Germany, is on Netflix and had good viewership on Crunchyroll.

Edit: Seems like he said "that" popular which is pretty vague but I assume he meant mainstream in which case he's right.But that doesn't negate the fact that the 2011 made HxH more popular in the West especially in the US (1999 was already popular in France and other European countries) since it was not nearly as known before 2011.
AgafinMar 9, 2015 12:39 PM
Mar 10, 2015 12:39 AM

Dec 2012
Selket said:
tsudecimo said:

no English dub
Lower member size than some aired/airing anime

It's kinda popular, but not mainstream to casuals, or really popular inside the internet community.
Mar 10, 2015 7:01 AM

Dec 2013
tsudecimo said:
Selket said:

no English dub
Lower member size than some aired/airing anime

It's kinda popular, but not mainstream to casuals, or really popular inside the internet community.

Still can't believe there's no dub for this anime. There are a lot less popular anime getting dubbed. Although it might be due the large episode count of this anime.
Mar 10, 2015 8:54 AM

Jun 2014
G_Spark233 said:

Still can't believe there's no dub for this anime. There are a lot less popular anime getting dubbed. Although it might be due the large episode count of this anime.

Those anime are either short or started being dubbed while the show was still airing. With HxH, there was some sort of bidding war or something like that while it was airing and Viz said that someone else got the rights. This delayed the process till the end of the anime which makes it's dubbing more improbable. There's also the fact that it might not be suitable for prime timeslot due to its content (except if heavily edited) and it is too risky to dub a very long anime(100+ eps) for a late night slot since there is less exposition (I can't think of any case where that happened).
Mar 10, 2015 1:48 PM

Dec 2013
Agafin said:
G_Spark233 said:

Those anime are either short or started being dubbed while the show was still airing. With HxH, there was some sort of bidding war or something like that while it was airing and Viz said that someone else got the rights. This delayed the process till the end of the anime which makes it's dubbing more improbable. There's also the fact that it might not be suitable for prime timeslot due to its content (except if heavily edited) and it is too risky to dub a very long anime(100+ eps) for a late night slot since there is less exposition (I can't think of any case where that happened).

Interesting. It's too bad there will probably never be a dub for this series.
Mar 10, 2015 3:00 PM

Jan 2011
no,HXH would have been more popular if togashi would have drawn it better from the start.

But the most of people prefer a ninja history without ninjas or the typical friendship, adventure history like One Piece
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Mar 11, 2015 5:06 AM

Mar 2012
As seen here, even with all the advantages, HxH is already more successful than Bleach and Naruto.

P.S this is the chart I asked for before to test out how people's logic works, and was flooded with unintelligent responses, such as comparing 2015 sales vs 2013 sales...seriously...?
End Zionazism
Mar 11, 2015 5:09 AM
May 2009
Probably not. Hunter X Hunter isn't exactly kid friendly, especially for western standards. So won't be airred after school for kids in Europe or America. Either that or a tonne of Censorship.

I mean Hisoka's obession with Gon is pretty much borderline Shotacon and Yaoi.
Not to mention Serial Killing material, Children Assassins etc etc.

But yeah Hunter X Hunter is one of my favourites, even before the remake.
Some scenes were just better in the old compared to the new also it just felt darker.
Mar 11, 2015 5:11 AM
Dec 2011
Nope.

Only to people prisoner of the moment. HxH was only only ever bearable because of MadHouse's portrayal of it. The actual story itself and Togashi's ethics towards the series was abysmally shit ESPECIALLY post GI.

It's actually a good thing for the series's overall current "merit" that it couldn't continue.
Mar 11, 2015 8:30 AM

Oct 2013
Mazaev said:
Nope.

Only to people prisoner of the moment. HxH was only only ever bearable because of MadHouse's portrayal of it. The actual story itself and Togashi's ethics towards the series was abysmally shit ESPECIALLY post GI.

It's actually a good thing for the series's overall current "merit" that it couldn't continue.

Reasons would be good, but who am I kidding, doesn't matter. I care but not that much.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Aug 8, 2016 10:04 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:
Feaor said:
Either way One Piece still crushes both Naruto and HxH in sales.

Oh I missed this. This thread is about how popular it would have been if there weren't any hiatus. Well, when it started in the late 90s, early 2000s(as in when there were no hiatus), it was about as popular as One Piece, both of them having initial prints of ~900k. Also this:

YorozuyaGinSan said:
Certainly. If you look at Hunter x Hunter's weekly jump rankings from the late 90s and early 2000s when Naruto was just starting up, Zombie Powder was a thing, and Stone Ocean was still running you'd see that it was always up there right alongside titles such as One Piece and Prince of Tennis.

Of course every time it comes off hiatus nowadays you see it in the bottom five rankings, which isn't exactly a warm welcome from the Japanese.

I mean to say it could have been the most or second most popular Manga, but the Anime hasn't had any hiatuses so I'm going to assume we're referring to the series in general.

If we're going by sales per volume it's also close to the top and will probably eventually surpass titles such as Fist of the North Star and Rurouni Kenshin.

Nope! One Piece was always more popular than HxH in a particular time.
In terms of initial volumes HxH started stronger due to being of a popular established mangaka, but not even that difference made current volumes of HxH selling more than current volumes of One Piece, that was in front by about 2-3 volumes.

About magazine rankings, HxH was not even close. HxH was disputing the 3rd best overall place of the magazine, where yearly lost most times(if not everytime) to Leader Den Takeshi, while One Piece was the undisputed 1st place.
The anime TV ratings and popularity One Piece was also highly superior.

About volume sales(print numbers because at that time nobody was releasing sales)::

vol. 6 One Piece - 880k
vol. 3 HxH - 750k

vol. 11 One Piece - 1.35 Million
vol.7 HxH - 1.22 Million

vol. 10 HxH - 1.42 Million

vol. 16 One Piece - 2.04 Million
vol. 13 HxH - 1.6 Million

vol. 18 One Piece - 2.11 Million
vol. 15 HxH - 1.56 Million

vol. 19 One Piece - 2.20 Million
vol. 16 HxH - 1.53 Million

vol. 20 One Piece - 2.24 Million
vol. 18 HxH - 1.50 Million

vol. 21 One Piece - 2.30 Million
vol. 19 HxH - 1.495 Million

Aug 9, 2016 2:27 AM

Jun 2014
@bigivelfhq

Your data shows that both of them were more or less equal at the beginning, which was my point (a year and a half ago, that necro tho). If OP vol.6 had an initial print of 880k, then what makes you believe that it's vol.3 print was higher than HxH's third volume print (of 750k)?
Aug 9, 2016 6:42 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:
@bigivelfhq

Your data shows that both of them were more or less equal at the beginning, which was my point (a year and a half ago, that necro tho). If OP vol.6 had an initial print of 880k, then what makes you believe that it's vol.3 print was higher than HxH's third volume print (of 750k)?

I know is necro :P, but it was an interesting thing I wanted to talk about.

I placed HxH 3 volumes of difference with One Piece to make things easier for me, instead of looking at the exact dates the volumes came. If I was exact the difference between the series is more perceptible.

Like I said, if we just compare the volumes per number than HxH due to being made by a famous author(YYH and Level E) got the better of a newbie author(One Piece), but in terms of actual time the volumes came, HxH was always significantly behind One Piece. And they only started with around 20-30 chapters of difference in the magazine, basically just half a year.

About volume 6 of One Piece came in December 3 of 1998. Volume 3 of HxH came in November 4 of 1998. So basically during the same time. At that time One Piece was printing 130k copies more than HxH. It may seem little, but in a beginning series like both of them were, those 130k is a big difference.

Also note that HxH until Chimera Ant arc released around 2-4 volumes per year, so basically like a monthly series. So the sales/print weren't affected by hiatus hell. And in fact is arguable if the hiatus hell had any influence to the sales of the volumes.
Aug 9, 2016 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
Hunter x Hunter if watched by same same number of members watched death Note,I am sure it could reach 9.50 even,Hopefully everyone started watching.
Aug 9, 2016 1:41 PM

Oct 2013
RKarim69f117 said:
Hunter x Hunter if watched by same same number of members watched death Note,I am sure it could reach 9.50 even,Hopefully everyone started watching.

I'm not understanding what you're saying!

Are you talking of TV Ratings? What is the 9.5, viewership?

But if it was watched by the same number of members of Death Note, than it would get the same exact number of viewership! And so less than 9.5.
Aug 9, 2016 2:19 PM

Mar 2012
Anyone who's good at math knows the answer, yes.
End Zionazism
Aug 9, 2016 2:27 PM

Mar 2012
bigivelfhq said:
Agafin said:

Oh I missed this. This thread is about how popular it would have been if there weren't any hiatus. Well, when it started in the late 90s, early 2000s(as in when there were no hiatus), it was about as popular as One Piece, both of them having initial prints of ~900k. Also this:

In terms of initial volumes HxH started stronger due to being of a popular established mangaka, but not even that difference made current volumes of HxH selling more than current volumes of One Piece, that was in front by about 2-3 volumes.

About magazine rankings, HxH was not even close. HxH was disputing the 3rd best overall place of the magazine, where yearly lost most times(if not everytime) to Leader Den Takeshi, while One Piece was the undisputed 1st place.

About volume sales(print numbers because at that time nobody was releasing sales)::

vol. 6 One Piece - 880k
vol. 3 HxH - 750k

vol.7 HxH - 1.22 Million

Comparing 6th to 3rd volumes?

OP six volumes later = 470K boost
HxH only 4 volumes later (with hiatuses): 470 boost

You just committed argumentative suicide with this list. It shows that HxH gained about twice as much momentum being slightly disturbed by hiatuses rather than frequently interrupted.
End Zionazism
Aug 9, 2016 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
Oh quite a impressive answer to the question!
Aug 9, 2016 4:31 PM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
bigivelfhq said:

vol. 6 One Piece - 880k
vol. 3 HxH - 750k

vol.7 HxH - 1.22 Million

Comparing 6th to 3rd volumes?

OP six volumes later = 470K boost
HxH only 4 volumes later (with hiatuses): 470 boost

You just committed argumentative suicide with this list. It shows that HxH gained about twice as much momentum being slightly disturbed by hiatuses rather than frequently interrupted.

Like I said in my post, what I was comparing and arguing was the fact that at a given time One Piece and HxH had around the same sales.

Volume 6 of One Piece and Volume 3 of HxH came around the same time. Until a series gets high boost and impressive print numbers, shueisha normally just provides the number of 1 volume of each year(normally the last one). For One Piece in 1999 was volume 6 with 880k and for HxH volume 3 with 750k. In 2000 One Piece volume 11 with 1.35 Million and HxH volume 7 with 1.22 Million. Note that you don't know how much One Piece volume 10 printed, just like you don't know how volume 8 of HxH did. So you don't have any info about HxH print increasing faster than One Piece. In fact what you have is that both series in their 2nd year increased the same amount 470k.
In 2001 One Piece volume 16 got 2.04 Million, and increase of 690k from the previous year. HxH volume 10 got 1.42 Million so a yearly increase of 200k.
In 2002 One Piece volume 21 got 2.30 million an increase of 260k from previous year. And HxH volume 13 got 1.6 Million(and the series peak) an increase of 180k from previous year.

So in terms of boost and in terms of print numbers One Piece was always bigger in the first years, excepting in the 2nd year that got the exact same boost.

This data doesn't show nothing what you said, given that it doesn't shows data of when HxH was being frequently interrupted, in fact the data stops around 2 years from the frequently interrupted period of time, though that also isn't relevant because I made no argument about that.
But since you brought that point, the series momentum stopped in the end of Yorknew City Arc at volume 13, and it started decreasing during Greed Island. More than the frequency being the cause of the stopping momentum it was the story, also a series as time goes starts approaching its fanbase stable size. The beginning and when it gets its anime is the time where series get biggest audience boost. Both One Piece and HunterxHunter got anime in October 1999, in the exact same week.
bigivelfhqAug 9, 2016 5:10 PM
Aug 10, 2016 12:06 AM

Mar 2012
Yes OP would have sold billions but they didn't print enough copies....backtracking.

Op vol. six was released the same time as vol.3 hxh, so OP had had the advantage of longer exposure, yet HXH gained twice as much momentum, getting the same boost in half the period, stats don't like, HXH crushed OP back then.
End Zionazism
Aug 10, 2016 12:33 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
Yes OP would have sold billions but they didn't print enough copies....backtracking.

Op vol. six was released the same time as vol.3 hxh, so OP had had the advantage of longer exposure, yet HXH gained twice as much momentum, getting the same boost in half the period, stats don't like, HXH crushed OP back then.

It wasn't in half the period. It was in the exact same time, 1 year later.

more volumes doesn't really mean longer exposure. If that was the case monthly series wouldn't be able to dispute with weekly series in a individual volume basis. They can!

With 4 volumes in 1 year and 33 chapters released, the series got exposure enough. Not only to talk about the mangaka being a mega popular one already.
Aug 10, 2016 12:47 AM

Mar 2012
4 volumes and hiatus vs 6 volumes. Yes in one year HxH sold more with 4 volumes with irregular releases compared to OP's 6 volumes. Even if we take the hiatus out of the equation, HxH sold better.
End Zionazism
Aug 10, 2016 1:07 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
4 volumes and hiatus vs 6 volumes. Yes in one year HxH sold more with 4 volumes with irregular releases compared to OP's 6 volumes. Even if we take the hiatus out of the equation, HxH sold better.

In what parallel world did HxH in 1999 sold better than One Piece?

First, is 4 vs 5 volumes, not 4 vs 6. HxH had volume 4, 5, 6 and 7, while One Piece got volume 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

Second, One Piece volume right before volume 7 and in volume 11 had bigger print than HxH volume right before volume 4 and in volume 7. Meaning both of those volumes sold better. And if we consider a regular growth in that year, it means that all volumes of One Piece sold better.

In fact since 1999 to 2004 and later from 2007 to now, One Piece has been the series that sold more yearly. In 1998 it was still a rookie growing, 2005 was dethroned by Nana boom and in 2006 by Death Note and Nodame Cantabile booms.
Aug 10, 2016 1:27 AM

Mar 2012
Yea my bad I included the sixth, still, OP released more volumes and failed to match or beat HxH.

Post 99 is irrelevant to the discussion here.
End Zionazism
Aug 10, 2016 1:40 AM
Mar 2011
no suce its toal has yet to pass seinen manga with less circulation seinen have 1/3 or around thato less circulation than shounen

its not out sold oishinbo in total numbers or g13 so no let alone not outselling db yet that has been ovr fr close on 25 years and HxH is still in its first print run wrre 80 percnt of all sales of a manga take place
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 10, 2016 2:16 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
Yea my bad I included the sixth, still, OP released more volumes and failed to match or beat HxH.

Post 99 is irrelevant to the discussion here.

It matched in boost and did more in print!
Aug 10, 2016 11:11 AM

Mar 2012
No, it under-performed in boost.
End Zionazism
Aug 10, 2016 11:41 AM

Oct 2013
Mikasa said:
No, it under-performed in boost.

And how do you go to that conclusion?
Or denial that both boosts for 1 year of the series?
Or are you counting the hxh vol. 8 and one piece vol 10, evento though se havê no info from them
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

fishergirl16 - Nov 26, 2011

122 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kefkiroth - Nov 19, 2011

125 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:52 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kamuki - Nov 12, 2011

149 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:24 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Keiz - Oct 29, 2011

173 by crumb_fr »»
May 2, 7:50 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kefkiroth - Nov 5, 2011

185 by Nerdason »»
May 2, 5:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.