Forum Settings
Forums

Do you value online friendship the same as IRL friendship?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 4, 2015 12:40 PM

Nov 2014
BunnyMe said:
Touchable friends are better XD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 4, 2015 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
KawaiiWeeabz said:
BunnyMe said:
Touchable friends are better XD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I never understood what that smiley means O_O
Mar 4, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2014
BunnyMe said:
KawaiiWeeabz said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 4, 2015 12:48 PM

Jun 2013
As far as I'm concerned a friend is a friend. It's the connection that matters not so much the medium in which that connection is formed.

I met my girlfriend on MAL over a year ago and we are still together and closer to each other than anyone I met in person first.

As someone else said earlier I think it's easier to get to know someone initially online since you can be more forthcoming, and in person you are usually more inclined to reserve yourself a bit.
Mar 4, 2015 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
CookieGawd said:
BunnyMe said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

What's edgy about touchable friends? D:
Mar 4, 2015 12:57 PM

Jul 2012
I have some great online friends that I love. They honestly know more about me than most anyone I have around me "irl". I value their company as much as any other friend.

The whole distance thing sucks though.
Mar 4, 2015 1:16 PM

Oct 2012
I don't value any kind .-. they serve their purpose and eventually we stop talkin
Mar 4, 2015 1:27 PM

Feb 2015
Sakuyae said:
The two are obviously very different, but I feel like sometimes online friendship can be stronger than IRL friendship. F.e.: A guy/girl you talk with online and play games all day is better than an IRL friend you only talk to every 2 week for 10 minutes.
But it goes the other way around too. Most of the time IRL friendship is stronger.
The one thing that makes me value online friendship so much is that you can become friends with people living in distant countries, and you'd probably never meet them without the internet. It also helps to make you more open-minded, since you get to know people from different cultures.
IRL friendship's advantage is that you can actually see if the person you are talking to is listening to you, while on the internet you can't be sure if the person on the other side is even paying attention. And IRL expression is true and real, while an internet emoticon is over-exaggerated.

I agree, but the thing is, and hate to admit it, online friends stay on a very superficial level. You can't really experience something that isn't confined on a virtual setting. That is very lacking! Be it on aforum, a game or whatever, real friendship needs human contact, it grows out of irl situations, hardships or everyday life which simply are missing in a virtual place. You are not able to see how they are, or behave, in those situations. I have trouble explaining it

I have a lot of experience with online friends. I was head of a RTS game clan, being able to meet really awesome people I really get along with. I considered them my little brothers and spent an insane amount of time with them not just playing, but talking, discussin, so much that we really exceeded the plain "game relantionship". After a 4 years of that we stopped playing but we made a group on facebook where we can keep in touch. I met some of them irl too.
Same goes for forums. I met a few guys like 10 years ago and since then we always jumped from forum to forum together. I consider them more valuable to me than most of my closest irl friends because we simply shared so much. Thanks to them I was able to see the world from a totally different angle, learn a lot of different things..
RollTheJointMar 4, 2015 1:32 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2015 1:33 PM
Dec 2014
I don't have any friends in real life or on internet. Friendship is for naive people to believe in.

I don't socialize at all IRL.
On internet I only talk with a girl here from MAL.

We're not friends but she's fun so I like killing time with her when she logs in. That 'old lady' always manages to make me smile with the silly things she says
Mar 4, 2015 1:45 PM

Dec 2014
I really don't have any IRL friends because the ones I had are stuck in their high school mentalities and act like children.
Mar 4, 2015 1:58 PM

Mar 2008
Ive made better friends online than i have in person so of course i do
Mar 4, 2015 2:00 PM

Nov 2013
KawaiiWeeabz said:
What is "IRL friendship" ? (◡‿◡✿)
You're already my nigga because you're a fellow (✿◠‿◠) user.
Mar 4, 2015 2:01 PM

Dec 2013
Friendship is friendship.
There is no online one & Irl one.
Mar 4, 2015 2:01 PM

Dec 2014
traed said:
Ive made better friends online than i have in person so of course i do
Mar 4, 2015 2:03 PM

Feb 2015
I value real life friendship higher than online, though that doesn't mean I value an online friendship as something worthless. I've met some great people online that I considered good and close friends.

And by online friendship I don't mean simply adding their name to your friends list or occasionally saying hi to them. But someone you spend time with (back when I used to play online games a lot), have good, meaningful conversations with and share things with.
Mar 4, 2015 2:05 PM

May 2014
good irl friend> good online friend > irl acquaintance > online acquaintance
Mar 4, 2015 2:05 PM

Nov 2013
they're of the same importance to me. Real life interaction makes little difference in a friendship to me

however I don't consider people friends frivolously. I use that term very strictly
Mar 4, 2015 2:20 PM

Jun 2014
I value my real friends more. There are some people that i met here who i share a pretty good bond with though.
Mar 4, 2015 2:29 PM

Sep 2014
I do
Mar 4, 2015 2:30 PM

Dec 2014
How can one not value a friendship online? They're a living breathing person just like you are.
Mar 4, 2015 2:38 PM
Nov 2014
Yes.
Mar 4, 2015 2:39 PM

Nov 2014
LAOG said:
KawaiiWeeabz said:
What is "IRL friendship" ? (◡‿◡✿)
You're already my nigga because you're a fellow (✿◠‿◠) user.

Aww, nice (✿◕ヮ◕)
Mar 4, 2015 2:40 PM

Oct 2013
They're on pretty equal status for me. I have much closer links to friend in real life, but that doesn't mean I don't have pretty good friendships with people online. Most of my online friends I'd consider pretty close, I would have had to spend quite a lot of time with over the years. Probably, 6 years or more to qualify them on an equal status as my irl friends.
Mar 4, 2015 2:42 PM

Oct 2010
because u kids are fgts that have never spilled blood together in a pvp game

mmorpg online friends are totally different than anything else so unless you've played and bonded for awhile you're not entitled to an opinion

girlfriend > mmorpg online friend > irl friend > irl bad friend > online non-mmorpg friends
lots of music -
Mar 4, 2015 2:48 PM

Jul 2014
incisorr said:
because u kids are fgts that have never spilled blood together in a pvp game

mmorpg online friends are totally different than anything else so unless you've played and bonded for awhile you're not entitled to an opinion

Yea i met some cool ppl when i played this mmo. I haven't played it in a while though...i miss them...
Mar 4, 2015 4:54 PM

Dec 2014
Nah.
Mar 4, 2015 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
They're just as real to me yeah.
Mar 4, 2015 5:20 PM

Sep 2012
Absolutely not. A friend online can never even begin to compare to a friend IRL, and I'm not going to pretend like they can.

If you think otherwise, you need better friends, or you need to stop thinking so desperately.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 4, 2015 5:20 PM
Mar 2015
I considered them as IRL friends but it's up to the other party how they will label me, but I want to give dignity towards them and treat them as the same because they are still humans.
Slice is a huge nerd and the other is a dork 8)
Mar 4, 2015 5:23 PM

Jul 2013
The close bonds that I form with people online are sometimes even stronger than those IRL. IRL friends take physical maintenance, but online friends I can easily talk to and just meet up with a couple of times a year. But I guess, online friends that you've met IRL aren't really online anymore... just long distance. >.> So maybe I just prefer long distance friendships.
Mar 4, 2015 7:32 PM
Dec 2011
Why I prefer real life friends: Just having their "presence" around is enough. With people you click with, there is no need for forced conversations. We can laugh at anything together. Or hang out and go places together. They are tangible and you can read their body language.

Why I prefer online friends: that mental connection. interesting conversations with different people (sometimes people you probably would never dream of talking to in real life because you're too "different" from one another and probably don't hang out in the same place.

I prefer real life friends since we are actually more likely to help each other with real world problems but I have to admit that I'm more mentally/emotionally attached to my online friends sometimes. I'm not sure if admitting that makes me sad or not.
Mar 4, 2015 7:34 PM

Aug 2014
It depends.
Mar 4, 2015 7:37 PM

Apr 2014
Korrvo said:
Absolutely not. A friend online can never even begin to compare to a friend IRL, and I'm not going to pretend like they can.

If you think otherwise, you need better friends, or you need to stop thinking so desperately.

I disagree

I have friends that I met both IRL and online.

I value both of them. I even met the online friends IRL, and plan on having more get together with them in the future. Some people online are just people. They're just playing games, or hanging out on like-minded sites that you are. It's exactly the same as if you walk into the bar. You're meeting people. Just using a different median.

"Desperation" happens when you desperately seek out friendships rather then just letting it happen. Which can apply to online and IRL equally. Online is just scarier because of the anonymous factor in the face area. Other then that, it's pretty much the same. A person can lie to you just as well IRL, as they can online.
Mar 4, 2015 7:38 PM

May 2009
I did when I was like thirteen and that didn't end so well. So now and days I don't care for online friendships and I am shocked at how quickly people will call you a bestie after a few days of talking and not even knowing your real name.
Mar 4, 2015 7:39 PM

Jan 2014
nah
Mar 4, 2015 7:44 PM

Apr 2013
Yes, I generally do. I find it extremely difficult to make good friends online anyway; there's barely anyone that I've met online who I would consider a friend rather than a friendly acquaintance.
Mar 4, 2015 7:49 PM

Nov 2014
Yes, but its hard to find a good friend in the internet
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2015 7:50 PM

Jun 2014
I value my internet friends more, my real life friends are nonexistent unless you consider me myself and I and my imaginary friends.

Mar 4, 2015 7:51 PM

Sep 2012
cause said:
I disagree

I value both of them. I even met the online friends IRL, and plan on having more get together with them in the future. Some people online are just people. They're just playing games, or hanging out on like-minded sites that you are. It's exactly the same as if you walk into the bar. You're meeting people. Just using a different median.

"Desperation" happens when you desperately seek out friendships rather then just letting it happen. Which can apply to online and IRL equally. Online is just scarier because of the anonymous factor in the face area. Other then that, it's pretty much the same. A person can lie to you just as well IRL, as they can online.
Well, once you meet them IRL, it's not quite the same as a solely internet relationship, and that's what I was referring to.

I'm aware that the only difference is the median, but the median alone is where my problem lies. "Desperation" probably isn't a good way of putting it, I was in a bad mood when I typed that.

I'll admit I'm heavily biased. Personally speaking, I've tried to be good friends with many people online multiple times, and I regret every single second of it.

Inability to read someone, inability to understand them, inability to know who you're truly even talking to, inability to spend some legitimate time with them, inability to truly be yourself around them, inability to comfort and be there for them, etc etc.

There are too many limitations on the internet and every single one has bitten me in the ass multiple times, as well as the people I've attempted to be friends with. It's just such a shallow experience and I've only grown to despise the internet because of it, and I can't wait to rid myself of internet-only socialization the moment I get the chance.

So yeah, a lil biased. Mb for the rash wording in my last post.
KorrvoMar 4, 2015 7:54 PM
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Mar 4, 2015 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
cause said:

I disagree

That person has no idea how to handle relationships, not even worth arguing with over it.
Mar 4, 2015 7:52 PM

Sep 2012
Example A^
Mar 4, 2015 8:00 PM

Jul 2012
Korrvo said:
Example A^

The issues you cited translate into "IRL" relationships as well.

People often hide their true selves or try to be something they're not. Only once you spent enough time with them do their true colors finally show.

Maybe the problem doesn't lay solely in the medium, but in the person who keeps having the bad experiences.
Mar 4, 2015 8:06 PM

Sep 2012
The medium is consistent for all of my social issues. This simply doesn't happen IRL for me.

When I'm talking to someone IRL, I can understand them way better. I can see the expression on their face, I can hear the tone in their voice, I can see what they are talking about first hand. I can have a better understanding of the kind of person they are, and I can act accordingly.

They can also better see who I am and how I act as well. The way I act on the internet and the diction I use in my writing simply does not match their IRL equivalent for me. My personality and tone of voice are way different.

Yea, the problems are there for IRL as well, but they are so minor by comparison than it's not anywhere near as significant as an issue. But with the internet, there's so many more assumptions that have to come into play that it causes so many inevitable issues.

Is that my fault? Am I using the internet wrong? Possibly. I won't deny for a second that I've fucked up a lot, cause I KNOW I've fucked up a lot, but regardless, this would have never happened if this wasn't on the internet.

And understanding is just one issue out of many. The internet is such a shallow experience for so many more reasons than just understanding that I hesitate to refer to anyone online as "friend" anyway, cause I certainly can't act like one on here, nor can I expect anyone else to do the same.
KorrvoMar 4, 2015 8:11 PM
Mar 4, 2015 8:08 PM

Oct 2012
no since the person on the other end would not value the friendship
RRRRRRRRRR
Mar 4, 2015 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
This is of course implying OP has friends IRL, as I think he would know the answer if he did.
Mar 4, 2015 8:26 PM

Apr 2014
The internet has been shallow for you.

It doesn't mean it has been shallow for everyone then.

The "expressions and tones" you hear and see can be lies as well. It's all subjective to your personal qualms.
Mar 4, 2015 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
Korrvo said:
The medium is consistent for all of my social issues. This simply doesn't happen IRL for me.

When I'm talking to someone IRL, I can understand them way better. I can see the expression on their face, I can hear the tone in their voice, I can see what they are talking about first hand. I can have a better understanding of the kind of person they are, and I can act accordingly.

They can also better see who I am and how I act as well. The way I act on the internet and the diction I use in my writing simply does not match their IRL equivalent for me. My personality and tone of voice are way different.

Yea, the problems are there for IRL as well, but they are so minor by comparison than it's not anywhere near as significant as an issue. But with the internet, there's so many more assumptions that have to come into play that it causes so many inevitable issues.

Is that my fault? Am I using the internet wrong? Possibly. I won't deny for a second that I've fucked up a lot, cause I KNOW I've fucked up a lot, but regardless, this would have never happened if this wasn't on the internet.

And understanding is just one issue out of many. The internet is such a shallow experience for so many more reasons than just understanding that I hesitate to refer to anyone online as "friend" anyway, cause I certainly can't act like one on here, nor can I expect anyone else to do the same.

The internet highlighting weaknesses within the person, a plausible explanation.

However the weaknesses still remain and will most likely be evident in all relationships. Hopefully you've learned your lesson by now if that is the case.

Text base communication is shallow and it takes extra effort to be meaningful. Also, there are different types of people in the world and some may be better able to connect over such means that others. One person can't speak for everyone.

While I've changed how I deal with people over the internet(to great success) and in the end I can't honestly say I take online friendships quite as seriously as ones with people "IRL" I still feel there are meaningful connections to be made over the internet. They just have to be approached differently.

To this day there only remains one whom I regret my time with.
Mar 4, 2015 8:27 PM

Jul 2013
Yes
Mar 4, 2015 8:41 PM

Sep 2012
cause said:
The internet has been shallow for you.

It doesn't mean it has been shallow for everyone then.

The "expressions and tones" you hear and see can be lies as well. It's all subjective to your personal qualms.
I'm aware. That's why I said I was heavily biased.

_Myst said:
The internet highlighting weaknesses within the person, a plausible explanation.

However the weaknesses still remain and will most likely be evident in all relationships. Hopefully you've learned your lesson by now if that is the case.

Text base communication is shallow and it takes extra effort to be meaningful. Also, there are different types of people in the world and some may be better able to connect over such means that others. One person can't speak for everyone.

While I've changed how I deal with people over the internet(to great success) and in the end I can't honestly say I take online friendships quite as seriously as ones with people "IRL" I still feel there are meaningful connections to be made over the internet. They just have to be approached differently.

To this day there only remains one whom I regret my time with.
The only thing the internet can highlight is how shitty of a medium it is for communication. Good job at keeping the salt buckets hidden. /s

Yea, there's potential there, but it's not worth the bother. I'm not so desperate that I'd be willing to take something so shallow so seriously. If I'm gonna work for something, I'm gonna go for the stuff that's actually worth a damn.

The only thing internet-exclusive social media is good at is passing the time. Take it any more seriously than that and you're insulting yourself.
Mar 4, 2015 8:48 PM

Dec 2013
but there's an easy way around it!

you just have to meet them in person because of convenience!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 3 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
14 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
31 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.