Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2015 11:51 AM

Feb 2015
You look at any other form of DvD or movie on a site like amazon, and they sell for 0.01 + Delivery, Then you try to buy anime, which you can watch 99% of free online anyway, and it all costs like 20-30 Quid + P&P,

Why?
and does anyone know a website that sells anime or manga that contradicts this?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 22, 2015 11:53 AM

Dec 2012
It's harder to find and rarer, perhaps.
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Feb 22, 2015 11:54 AM

Dec 2012
Why not?™

Sep 2013
Because making anime costs a lot of money

Mar 2014
Because Chinese cartoons
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 22, 2015 11:56 AM

Apr 2013
Maybe the 40% mark up from the cost of importing, and the 25% mark up of your local provider after having bought it at close to if not full retail price. Disclaimer: the numbers used are all arbitrary.
Feb 22, 2015 11:57 AM
Jul 2018
Everyone wants to profit.

They are not charity.

Jul 2014
Uh i stream evrything

Aug 2014
Anime is expensive. Production wise, and price wise.
Feb 22, 2015 12:00 PM

Sep 2013
cupc said:

Consequent said:

A single episode of Friends costs 10 million dollars due to the cast

Anime does not have cast restrictions and due to the absense of CGI an average episode is $120,000 of a Popular show.

Anime isn't expensive

I have to bring this up every thread.
Feb 22, 2015 12:02 PM

Feb 2015
Theaterofhope said:
cupc said:

Consequent said:

Anime does not have cast restrictions and due to the absense of CGI an average episode is $120,000 of a Popular show.

Anime isn't expensive

That's what I was thinking, yet for some reason Even used Copies seem to go for 20$ +, Is it the fanbase driving the price high? or some other factor like people mentioned above ... hmmm
Feb 22, 2015 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
Theaterofhope said:
cupc said:

Consequent said:

Anime isn't expensive

But it can be argued that anime is niché,so ratio price of an episode/watchers is different.
Feb 22, 2015 12:04 PM

Sep 2013
DejWo said:
But it can be argued that anime is niché,so ratio price of an episode/watchers is different.

Yeah pretty much this. They are priced highly because that's how they make the most profit. And believe me, the animation studios still aren't swimming in money. Especially the animators.
Feb 22, 2015 12:04 PM

Dec 2012
btw there is such a thing called bootleg anime DVDs.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DVD-Fate-Zero-Fate-Zero-season-1-season-2-Vol-1-25-End-/151344740749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233cd9798d

i used to go to this asian store where a season of bleach was 2 dollars
[right]
"The big secret to breaking the rules is to make it look as though you're following them."
Feb 22, 2015 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
hakuyu said:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DVD-Fate-Zero-Fate-Zero-season-1-season-2-Vol-1-25-End-/151344740749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233cd9798d

I have always wanted to watch anime in mandarin.
Japanese dub and mandarin subtitles preferably.
Feb 22, 2015 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
DejWo said:
hakuyu said:

I have always wanted to watch anime in mandarin.
Japanese dub and mandarin subtitles preferably.

they have english subtitles :o but like they're really bad...rukia was spelled as "lukia" =.=
[right]
Feb 22, 2015 12:08 PM

Feb 2014
Theaterofhope said:

Anime isn't expensive

You're comparing one of the most expensive western TV shows to produce against a successful anime series.

That really isn't the same thing.
Feb 22, 2015 12:09 PM

Sep 2013
DejWo said:
Theaterofhope said:

Anime isn't expensive

Maybe is has to do with the fact Anime sells more copies in the U.S. than it does in Japan

http://animereviews.co/animepov/believe-it-anime-sells-more-copies-in-the-u-s-than-it-does-in-japan/
Feb 22, 2015 12:09 PM

Jan 2013
Capitalism
Feb 22, 2015 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
Theaterofhope said:
Anime isn't expensive

Let me correct my words a bit. Making good quality anime is expensive.
Better now?
Feb 22, 2015 12:14 PM
Jan 2014
Yarrrrrrrrr
Feb 22, 2015 12:15 PM
Jul 2018
Theaterofhope said:
DejWo said:

Maybe is has to do with the fact Anime sells more copies in the U.S. than it does in Japan

http://animereviews.co/animepov/believe-it-anime-sells-more-copies-in-the-u-s-than-it-does-in-japan/

But that still does mean that anime is not niché.
At least compared to Friends,which always gets reruns and is widely popular.

And they know people who want to buy anime will buy it regardless of price(though there are some limits to that of course). As I said,aren't charity.
Feb 22, 2015 12:15 PM

Nov 2008
Niche market (anime is cheaper in the US except for PonyCan and AoA because most people don't put up with a full set of anime costing $400-$5000 like how Japan does with anime)

Bootlegging anime is not reccommended, it was the go to pre-internet, but anime is cheaper now unless you live in Japan or are buying an AoA or PonyCan licensed anime so save up and buy the official product.

Feb 22, 2015 12:17 PM

Jun 2014
hakuyu said:

Bootleg Anime DVDs are typically of a very low quality. Sometimes they'll sandwich so many episodes on one disc that there's compression artifacts everywhere, and it looks like shit.

I only buy official Anime DVDs. If you want'em cheap, watch eBay, and sometimes you can get really good deals. Just make sure that they're authentic.

Feb 22, 2015 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
Consequent said:
Theaterofhope said:
Anime isn't expensive

Better now?

I'd say that writing is one of the most important aspects of anime,which pretty much decides whether anime is good or not and it does not matter if the writer gets paid two times the average salary as long as he writes good.

Price of anime is mostly affected by animation,soundtrack and voice actors.
But those alone do not make a good anime.

Good example of expensive,yet not so good anime would be Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works TV.
Feb 22, 2015 12:19 PM

Dec 2012
Working_Designs said:
Bootleg Anime DVDs are typically of a very low quality. Sometimes they'll sandwich so many episodes on one disc that there's compression artifacts everywhere, and it looks like shit.

oh yes, i know. i listed them because OP was assuming all anime dvds were expensive. from my experience, they're not that bad. definitely not as good compared to an official BD but still watchable for most people. the problem are the crap subtitles.
[right]
Feb 22, 2015 12:22 PM

Feb 2015
hakuyu said:
Working_Designs said:

oh yes, i know. i listed them because OP was assuming all anime dvds were expensive. from my experience, they're not that bad. definitely not as good compared to an official BD but still watchable for most people. the problem are the crap subtitles.

My problem is I just want the anime physical because I'm a collector, not just so have it, If I want to watch anime, I stream it, but my favourites like Code geass and mirai nikki ( which btw has no region 2 release ) it would be nice to have physical versions, So when I found out how expensive they were, I was kind of shell shocked
Feb 22, 2015 12:25 PM

Feb 2015
By the way, I find that this one is actually quite a bit cheaper

http://www.shopanimedvd.com/default.php
Feb 22, 2015 12:31 PM

Jun 2011
Most English releases of anime aren't that expensive anymore. The Japanese prices of anime are crazy though, I don't know why anyone would pay $500+ just for one series.
Feb 22, 2015 12:32 PM

Dec 2012
joephillingham said:

How much is shipping?
[right]
Feb 22, 2015 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
joephillingham said:

Some stuff from that website are bootlegs, especially everything in the "Import DVD" section. Also, anything that has Malay or Chinese subtitles are bootlegs.

I only buy from RightStuf, and I use eBay for the "out of print" stuff. With RightStuf, everything is guaranteed to be 100% authentic, and they have sales all the time, the biggest ones during Christmas.

Feb 22, 2015 12:35 PM

Aug 2014
DejWo said:
Consequent said:

Better now?

I'd say that writing is one of the most important aspects of anime,which pretty much decides whether anime is good or not and it does not matter if the writer gets paid two times the average salary as long as he writes good.

Good example of expensive,yet not so good anime would be Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works TV.

If people simply watched anime for the "good story", then they might as well be reading picture books with text on them.
Production value is what makes anime anime. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a perfect example. Even with a compelling storyline, what could they had done for the last two episodes.
While the anime had a great story and interesting execution, the last two episodes with no budget completely ruined the entire anime. It's literally what most if not all of the criticism goes to..
Feb 22, 2015 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
Consequent said:
DejWo said:

If people simply watched anime for the "good story", then they might as well be reading picture books with text on them.
Production value is what makes anime anime. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a perfect example. Even with a compelling storyline, what could they had done for the last two episodes.
While the anime had a great story and interesting execution, the last two episodes with no budget completely ruined the entire anime. It's literally what most if not all of the criticism goes to..

You can find good story in most,if not all types of medium. But they might want to watch anime with good story,which is what I am talking about,as we are discussing what makes a good anime.
Statement that last two episodes completely ruined NGE is ludicrous.
If it were so,there would be no EoE nor reboots.
Most?If not all? Train scenes. What about the infamous elevator scene. Or the grand still with "Ode to Joy" in the background. Yes,they were cutting corners.
NGE had low budget,it would be better with bigger budget,I can't argue with that nor will I. But to say that it is ruined by it I find ridiculous and I can't agree with that,considering it's influence,even if general opinion is that something is good =/= being actually good.

Nodame Cantabile had many stills as well,especially during performances,yet I would not call it a bad anime because of it.
Feb 22, 2015 1:02 PM

Oct 2011
I think DVDs in general are just expensive.. like they're not priced very differently than regular TV shows on DVD. Like manga also seems expensive af but if you compare it to the size of a regular book it's about the same
Feb 22, 2015 1:05 PM

Dec 2013
You're just poor.
BAN ME
Feb 22, 2015 1:07 PM
Mar 2011
every episode costs around 1.25 million usd per 30 mins mimmum that is around 400k more than a live action
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 22, 2015 1:33 PM

Jul 2012
Anime isn't expensive to purchase unless its released by Aniplex.
Otherwise prices range from $15 to $60.
Feb 22, 2015 1:38 PM
Sep 2014
Idk why they are expensive.

That being said who wants to mail me some free anime dvds?
Feb 22, 2015 1:39 PM

Oct 2014
I'm poor and I find this offensive
Feb 22, 2015 1:42 PM

Dec 2013
Anime is a much more niche media so in order to make up the cost of licensing, localization and distribution, companies like Funimation and Aniplex charge a bit more to the smaller amount of people they know for sure are going to buy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2015 1:46 PM

Sep 2013
FGAU1912 said:
every episode costs around 1.25 million usd per 30 mins mimmum that is around 400k more than a live action

error

Feb 22, 2015 1:47 PM

Nov 2009
YouAreNotSugoi said:
Anime is a much more niche media so in order to make up the cost of licensing, localization and distribution, companies like Funimation and Aniplex charge a bit more to the smaller amount of people they know for sure are going to buy
Basically this.

Although one could comment that it is a "niche media" because of a rather universal lack on interest in Anime Production Companies marketing outwards. If more money was put in to marketing to foreign countries I think that the anime industry might be a tad bit more stable, due to an increase in consumer base. Although this is pure speculation, there are a million reasons why this could be a bad idea too. But from what I have seen with regards to Nintendo over the last decade or two, this is kind of the opinion I have been having about anime as well.
Feb 22, 2015 1:47 PM

Dec 2013
cupc said:
True but let me show you something
Anime in comparison to western animation is dirt cheap to make
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
Its foreign, foreign stuff is always expensive, and the market for anime is small compared to other mediums so they dont make as much merchandise
Feb 23, 2015 3:01 AM

Aug 2012
Thread Moved.
Feb 23, 2015 3:10 AM
May 2009
joephillingham said:
You look at any other form of DvD or movie on a site like amazon, and they sell for 0.01 + Delivery, Then you try to buy anime, which you can watch 99% of free online anyway, and it all costs like 20-30 Quid + P&P,

Why?
and does anyone know a website that sells anime or manga that contradicts this?

Because being 0.01 Means they are usually on top of the list.
However though the item maybe essentially free. they need to cover their delivery cost.

Depending on the system they choose it might be more expensive. Especially if its overseas.

Other wise its thier method of making more money.
Feb 23, 2015 3:31 AM

Feb 2013
why did no one quote the anime economy yet?
Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

The said:
To a Westerner, the Japanese DVD market seems horribly overpriced. With the average disc running over ¥7,000 (US$92) and only containing 2-4 episodes of a series, the cost of collecting a single show can easily run several hundred dollars -- more than many American fans spend in a single year.

The prices actually stem from a business practice we used to have in America, too: rental pricing. Basically, back in the dawn of the home video business, the industry was constructed in a way where "niche" releases were only meant to sell a few thousand copies, mostly to video rental shops. Prices were high (typically $89.95 in America), but video shops benefited from having a wide and semi-exclusive selection of movies that normal people would never pay for. At those prices, only a few thousand sales could mean over a million dollars of revenue. Initially, video industry people didn't think there was much of a market in selling to collectors.

But the fans proved them wrong. Otaku of all kinds (not just anime fans) started buying the videotapes and laserdiscs, and they bought them at those high prices that were intended just for video stores. There was no reason to lower it. In fact, there were a few experiments to drop the price to a more affordable amount, but that usually resulted in a slight increase in sales -- not enough to make up for the drop in revenue.

When you think about it, that makes sense. Most Japanese people live in much smaller homes, and with many more people than their Western counterparts. In most cases, it simply doesn't make sense for Japanese consumers to build a big home media library. Only the hardcore fans of a particular product will usually want to bother owning a tape or DVD, and everyone else relies on rental shops. Media is a specialty market, not a mass-market one, so prices have stayed astronomically high.

The Japanese Otaku's desire to own anime even at high prices had an unexpected effect: as the rest of the economy tanked and video stores stopped buying every new video release, the otaku kept buying pretty much everything that got released. Before long, the few thousand fans that bought anime DVDs were supporting nearly the entire budget of a show. Even as the rest of the Japanese home video industry lowered their prices to varying degrees, anime stayed at the same high price. It's simply the only way most shows can ever make a profit.
Feb 23, 2015 4:16 AM
Dec 2013
So what you are saying, is that otakus are a bunch of idiots with a lot of money...
Feb 23, 2015 5:18 AM

Apr 2013
@Romagia : Many thanks for that quote. This answered a question that I had for a very long time. I thought quite a bit about it but couldn't find a reason answering it completely. Now this sounds logical. Unfortunately, this also means that the prices of DVD/BR in japan aren't going to go down anytime soon. As someone who order my manga and light novels directly from japan, I was always sad that I had to avoid dvd and br of what I liked due to the sheer ridiculous price that they had. Looks like this will continue like that, but now I know why it will continue~
Feb 23, 2015 5:20 AM

Oct 2008
cupc said:

So does making movies.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 hours ago

26 by Catalano »»
8 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

12 by zoeanime13 »»
13 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 37 minutes ago

7 by Atmogenic »»
26 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 5 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.