Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 19, 2014 5:05 PM

Jun 2012
I'm not very knowledgeable about the economic position of the anime and manga industry (industries?) in Japan, but almost everyone I know in the US (my friends and net acquaintances) rarely buy anime or manga, very often favoring the piracy option. In my mind, the companies (in Japan) actually producing the anime and manga don't put too much effort into bringing it to foreign audiences (slap some subs on eventually and go!) and a very small proportion of manga is licensed so I'm not sure how much of a problem the piracy is. I'm actually really unaware of how much piracy goes on in Japan itself. Are things sustainable the way they are? Please feel inclined to enlighten me if I'm misinformed about something or other ^^

Back in June/October I recall that Japan was determined to strengthen it's efforts to reduce anime and manga piracy (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.856719-Japanese-Government-Enforcing-Anti-Piracy-Law-on-Anime-and-Manga-Update), but the people of another forum I frequent believed that little would come of it. And it seems that as of yet, little has. Do you believe that this will continue to be the case for the next few years? How do you see the future of the anime and manga industries in Japan and elsewhere? And-what is in the front of my mind-are scanlation hosters such as mangafox, batoto, etc, in danger of being shut down? Should i stockpile terabytes of manga pics for the mangapocalypse!?

I'm very interested in the manga side of this discussion in particular. my scannnns!! (though I do buy a good bit of manga, so I'm not a completely unjust person t.t I think. It's just nice to have it on my phone).

Dec 19, 2014 5:07 PM

Apr 2014
It's like the movie piracy industry. All those pirated (manga or animes) don't necceasarily mean those would have been potential customers. If it weren't for piracy, they would have never even bother to check out said manga or anime.

This applies to almost everything pertaining to pirated Entertainment.
Dec 19, 2014 5:08 PM

Jun 2012
Well of course, especially because otherwise we couldnt even read the langauge. But that doesn't answer many questions... are you implying that nothing will be done? How come Japan feels the need to fight it if things are as you claim?
ArakuraDec 19, 2014 5:15 PM

Dec 19, 2014 5:11 PM

Apr 2014
Arakura said:
Well of course, especially because otherwise we couldnt even read the langauge. But that doesn't answer the question... are you implying that nothing will be done? How come Japan feels the need to fight it if things are as you claim?

It's just a common misconception among these producers/copyright holders. It's really free advertising for them, but they're just dead set on the imaginary profits they would have made.
They'll keep on trying to get rid of all the illegal services, but as we all know well, it's nearly impossible to censor the internet in 1st world countries.
Dec 21, 2014 11:45 AM

Feb 2013
From those anti-piracy announcements 'til now, nothing concrete has been done. The MAFIAA hasn't been able to do anything concrete yet for their intellectual properties, let alone the Japanese. It's a lost war for now, and piracy will prolific for quite a long time. Unless they really find an impregnable method to completely eliminate illegal distribution, nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Dec 21, 2014 6:24 PM

Apr 2012

Piracy tends to do more good than bad.
Dec 21, 2014 7:30 PM

Sep 2013
The manga industry is growing, the number of series that sell over 1 million volumes is higher than ever and will be even higher next year.
The cutoff for the top 30 was 1.9 million this year, that's insane :O
ichii_1Dec 21, 2014 7:35 PM
Dec 21, 2014 11:10 PM

Dec 2014
I feel that it would take a HUGE amount of budget to successfully stop these piracy and illegal acts..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2014 11:49 PM
Apr 2010
I hope new anime/manga dies out completely so I can stop wasting my life on this shit. You're not going to stop pirates, someone somewhere will be dedicated enough to upload whatever for either their own ego-boosting, and/or if they know that someone is depending on them to do it, people always like being praised/rewarded.

More topics from this board

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

379 by LyLord »»
6 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Today, 1:00 AM

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Yesterday, 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.