Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2014
My friend started an anime club in school last week which was intended for a small number of people but after seeing the turnout(55 people) it was declared a success. For a non-sports club we have the highest numbers lol.

The club due to age reasons was split up into under 15's(the majority) and over 15's(now down to a dozen T_T.
under 15's decided to watch SAO (yeah it's age appropriate).
While me and the rest in the other club haven't fully decided, even though we watched the 1st eps of Akame ga Kill and Parasyte the Maxim.
We also had the idea of following an airing anime in January as winter season starts at the same time as the next school term but it has to be on Crunchyroll (uk region-locked)
So I was wondering do you MALusers like watching anime as a group?
All credit goes to Sacred.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 12, 2014 11:50 AM

May 2014
No never, I hate watching things I enjoy with people who can't appreciate it.

Most anime watchers over here think Naruto is the best ever.
I've been here way too long...
Dec 12, 2014 11:50 AM

Jul 2012
wtf that's sad you had to split. I feel bad for all the mature kids in the U15 group who want to watch better different shows rather than SAO.

I go to my university's anime club on occasion (friends! yay) and we watch sometimes. Last time I watched something with them was Noragami episode 1, and it was pretty fun.

Not a huge fan of group simulwatches tho
Dec 12, 2014 11:53 AM

Oct 2012
I used to go to anime club in undergrad since some of my friends ran it, watching Boogiepop Phantom and getting mindfucked as a group for 12 weeks was pretty amusing.
Dec 12, 2014 11:57 AM

Jul 2014
Don't know of any clubs
Dec 12, 2014 11:58 AM

Jun 2014
RinArcher said:
Unfortunately, there were no Anime Club in my school. But if you mean by conventions, I take a ride to my local one in Ontario a few times to see whats going on over there.

Wait are we talking about internet clubs or real life clubs here?

Real life clubs and I have yet to go to an anime convention, they seem awesome though.

TheConquerer said:

Well I would hate it if everyone had the same opinions on a certain anime.

mayukachan said:
wtf that's sad you had to split. I feel bad for all the mature kids in the U15 group who want to watch better different shows rather than SAO.

I go to my university's anime club on occasion (friends! yay) and we watch sometimes. Last time I watched something with them was Noragami episode 1, and it was pretty fun.

Not a huge fan of group simulwatches tho

Yeah I'm sure there are mature kids in the under 15 club and yeah I'm seriously hoping that the university I applied to has a club.
Dec 12, 2014 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
Feaor said:
I used to go to anime club in undergrad since some of my friends ran it, watching Boogiepop Phantom and getting mindfucked as a group for 12 weeks was pretty amusing.

Hope I can achieve that sensation that you felt and yeah I only have 6 months left of school so that fricking sucks.
Dec 12, 2014 12:03 PM

Jul 2012
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Yeah I'm sure there are mature kids in the under 15 club and yeah I'm seriously hoping that the university I applied to has a club.

You guys should have a vote on what to watch and people can switch over to a different group if they want to.
Dec 12, 2014 12:03 PM

Jun 2014
Cookieking said:
Don't know of any clubs

Well I hope you find one asap.
Dec 12, 2014 12:06 PM

Nov 2013
Haven't started university yet, and we didn't have any clubs in HS, don't really know if they even have clubs in university either.
Dec 12, 2014 12:06 PM

Sep 2013
Watching anime in a group, oh lord :(

Sao >> AGK thou :) just saiyan

Tell the 15's to watch Tiger and bunny- ghost hunt- Yondemasu Yo,Azazel-san
Dec 12, 2014 12:07 PM

Jul 2012
ichii_1 said:

The first two (idk about the third) are pretty good choices.
Dec 12, 2014 12:08 PM

Jul 2014
Anime club? nah. the last thing i need are weebs crying beside me shouting "da feeelz"
Dec 12, 2014 12:09 PM

Dec 2012
Hah,weebs.

TheConquerer said:

Dec 12, 2014 12:09 PM

Jun 2014
mayukachan said:

You guys should have a vote on what to watch and people can switch over to a different group if they want to.

We did have a vote for the anime chosen before we split the club.
Options: being age appropriate
Naruto 1
SAO 2
Black Butler 3 who do you think was gonna win!!!!???

If other students wanna switch, they should ask the teacher directly themselves(who is an avid anime fan themselves) and so its not my problem.
Dec 12, 2014 12:10 PM

Jul 2012
Why are the choices so mainstream? Some "sommelier" of anime (haha Denkigai reference) should put some more unknown titles down.
Dec 12, 2014 12:11 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
ichii_1 said:

The first two (idk about the third) are pretty good choices.

We watched Tiger and Bunny in my anime club, I watched the first couple of episodes but then I couldn't go to the club anymore due to having a soul crushing work load :|

Jan 2013
Nope don't have one. All the people who are into anime in my uni either have shit taste or are heavily into League. Which is really really sad

Jun 2011
no but wish i could have tried it out.... though im sure i would have hated it
Dec 12, 2014 12:14 PM
Feb 2014
lolno, I've been told too many bad things about how they're all one massive circlejerk that if you're different, good fucking luck. Also it's full of weeaboos and assholes and then the gaming elitists who hate anime.

Why would mine be any different?
Dec 12, 2014 12:15 PM
Aug 2013
Well I live in the UK largest oil and gas city. Yeah as U guess most study engineering. Well there are a couple of people who say they seen this and that and some casual watchers to whom we sometimes discuss anime and give recs

Pretty good convo
Dec 12, 2014 12:15 PM

Jun 2014
Okashi_sama said:
Anime club? nah. the last thing i need are weebs crying beside me shouting "da feeelz"

I don't know what the f*ck you're on about as my group combined are very knowledgeable about anime but then again I don't know if you're describing what you've experienced.
Dec 12, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2014
RyanEnsign said:
Haven't started university yet, and we didn't have any clubs in HS, don't really know if they even have clubs in university either.

I wish you good luck but then again you can maybe create one.
Dec 12, 2014 12:17 PM
Feb 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
Okashi_sama said:

I don't know what the f*ck you're on about as my group combined are very knowledgeable about anime but then again I don't know if you're describing what you've experienced.

I'd like a field note on exactly what they've watched, perhaps this would be a wonderful anthropology project.
Dec 12, 2014 12:19 PM

Jun 2014
VitaminCaim said:
Nope don't have one. All the people who are into anime in my uni either have shit taste or are heavily into League. Which is really really sad

Am I meant to feel sympathy for you and some people don't have the luxury to discuss anime with a friend and not over the web.
Dec 12, 2014 12:20 PM

Jun 2014
Lancehot said:
pokeguy123 said:
Well I live in the UK largest oil and gas city.

Couldn't you just say Aberdeen?

Same as well.
Dec 12, 2014 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
Nicoreos said:

I'd like a field note on exactly what they've watched, perhaps this would be a wonderful anthropology project.

From Gundam to Bebop to Elfen Lied to School Days to Higurashi to Railgun etc.
We've seen a lot combined to make a fair judgement on anything.
Dec 12, 2014 12:26 PM

Jun 2014
pokeguy123 said:
Well I live in the UK largest oil and gas city. Yeah as U guess most study engineering. Well there are a couple of people who say they seen this and that and some casual watchers to whom we sometimes discuss anime and give recs

Pretty good convo

Which uni you at? RGU or Aberdeen.
Dec 12, 2014 12:28 PM
Sep 2014
Clubs?... :D
My school has nothing like that... you chose your majors and that's it :/
Dec 12, 2014 12:30 PM

Sep 2013
Yup go to my Uni's club. Went occasionally to a Meetup Club and go to Anime North
Dec 12, 2014 12:32 PM

Jun 2014
JohnnyBme said:

Unlucky mate.
Dec 12, 2014 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
Theaterofhope said:
Yup go to my Uni's club. Went occasionally to a Meetup Club and go to Anime North

That's nice.
Dec 12, 2014 12:45 PM

Aug 2008
I have been attending a 16+ anime society weekly since 2008. We are not a part of any Universities or colleges, just a group of adults who love anime and going to the pub ^^
Dec 12, 2014 12:46 PM
Feb 2014
RinArcher said:
Nicoreos said:
lolno, I've been told too many bad things about how they're all one massive circlejerk that if you're different, good fucking luck. Also it's full of weeaboos and assholes and then the gaming elitists who hate anime.

Why would mine be any different?

Hopefully your just baiting or trolling but if not, I feel sorry for you.

Probably had a lot of unpleasant experiences in your childhood. And I am probably right if my guesses are correct on what happened to you (seeing as your projecting yourself here if you are indeed being honest about your thoughts on this).

JohnnyBme said:

Where do you live?

The one thing I kind of regret when I was in school is never starting up a club about anime, it really is pleasant to have something to talk about in school you can relate with others, sports wasn't a thing for me so I could never really talk about that like most people did in my school.

I remember there being one guy who enjoyed Cricket so intensely, he started up a club and had like 25-30 people just watching Cricket being played on a projector at lunch time, since he was my friend, I went there and I had to say it was pretty pleasant to be there with a really enjoyable atmosphere, even if I couldn't relate to them as I wasn't a big cricket fan or anything.

Not saying you should start up a club or anything, just suggesting things to you as I never really did it so I don't know how the paperwork for doing that stuff is.

Who are you to tell me what to think? I actually have plenty of friends IRL who like anime, but not one of them is part of my college's club because we all know they're a bunch of fucked up weirdos who probably aren't presentable. Are you saying I have to be what I described to be a "respectable" anime fan? Anime is a hobby for me, not my life, so please, let's not make equally bait responses in return.
Dec 12, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2014
No.
Dec 12, 2014 1:02 PM

Aug 2013
yeah..., I prefer to keep my interest in anime to myself. It's not something I exactly pride myself in enjoying. + There are some legit weirdos out there. (i.e: the anime/weeb club from my old highschool.)
Dec 12, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2014
RinArcher said:
Nicoreos said:

Who are you to tell me what to think? I actually have plenty of friends IRL who like anime, but not one of them is part of my college's club because we all know they're a bunch of fucked up weirdos who probably aren't presentable. Are you saying I have to be what I described to be a "respectable" anime fan? Anime is a hobby for me, not my life, so please, let's not make equally bait responses in return.

I never asked about your friends, or what you were doing IRL either, and I never bothered to tell you what to think. I'm just telling you I feel sorry for you if that's your experience with the people around you. As you say, you probably just met "assholes."

Sorry if my post triggered you, I didn't mean it that way and I'm not trying to bait or insult you either.

Yeah he's right in avoiding those assholes.
Dec 12, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2014
RevInity said:
yeah..., I prefer to keep my interest in anime to myself. It's not something I exactly pride myself in enjoying. + There are some legit weirdos out there. (i.e: the anime/weeb club from my old highschool.)

Best avoiding them.
Dec 12, 2014 1:14 PM

Jun 2014
RinArcher said:
I guess I should list out that I have also met real life assholes with really disgusting habits for anime.

I don't know why people like to classify others into a 1D category of "Telling you what to think" or "Being against me and everything I stand for." Or as commonly put, the 'us vs them' mentality.

Guess you can't even sympathize with others without being attacked, such is life I guess.

Though there is this one really funny clip of hardcore otakus in a convention attempting to mimic loli girl voices and they had it recorded and put on youtube, its really cringeworthy and funny stuff. Too bad I can't find the video now...

Aww... I wanna see this video, it sounds hilarious.
Dec 12, 2014 1:45 PM

Mar 2013
If this forum is any indication, meeting anime fans in real life is a bad idea.
Dec 12, 2014 1:49 PM
Feb 2014
fst said:

Not really. Just the zealous weeaboos and the ones who don't shut the fuck up.
Dec 12, 2014 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
fst said:

irl fans are much nicer than this forum and less on the elitism side though
Dec 12, 2014 1:52 PM

Mar 2013
Ok time for my backup excuse.

clubs/cons are expensive.
Dec 12, 2014 1:55 PM

Jul 2012
fst said:

I'd agree but then again, college is pricy in general and I doubt I'll ever hang out with people after graduating so I'm using my extra time to meet people now.

RinArcher said:
I have met them, they aren't as great as you think they might be.

I've met them in high school. It helps if you don't say any shit about their favourites. I'm good at lying ;D
Dec 12, 2014 2:13 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
fst said:

I'd agree but then again, college is pricy in general and I doubt I'll ever hang out with people after graduating so I'm using my extra time to meet people now.

That sounds bleak.

But for me it's more fun hanging around people who are in my program. We may or may not have surreptitiously added "hentai" as an interest on somebody's resume.
Dec 12, 2014 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
fst said:
That sounds bleak.

But for me it's more fun hanging around people who are in my program. We may or may not have surreptitiously added "hentai" as an interest on somebody's resume.

LOL @ the resume thing

All the compsci kids (in my courses) are only into video games (smash and World of Warcraft) and Legend of Korra and they're all guys, so I don't have much in common. :< It's nice talking to lifesci girls instead who like the same anime as me lol
Dec 12, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
fst said:
That sounds bleak.

LOL @ the resume thing

All the compsci kids (in my courses) are only into video games (smash and World of Warcraft) and Legend of Korra and they're all guys, so I don't have much in common. :< It's nice talking to lifesci girls instead who like the same anime as me lol

By Senior year most of the people in my major's hobby was alcohol and commiserating about how much work we have lol. I got way more into Anime in grad school so I never really ran into that many people outside of a couple that watched anime.
Dec 12, 2014 2:46 PM

Apr 2013
No i'm not, even if there's a club in my school i'm not joining it either, well it's just a bunch of freak I say and there's no point joining it
Dec 12, 2014 2:47 PM

Dec 2013
I'm a part of Haruhiism Indonesia since back in 2006, the club is still very active irl up until now.

Dec 12, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2014
i know of no anime clubs near me and i'm literally the only person i know that watches anime. sobs.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

18 by Absurdo_N »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 52 minutes ago

7 by Paul »»
5 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
7 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

8 by Zefyris »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.