Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 8, 2014 7:53 PM

Dec 2013
I wanted to play a bullethell shooter so I decided to play Touhou. I'm downloading the 6th one right now but do I need to play the original ones from the 90's to understand any story details?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2014 8:23 PM
Mar 2012
I've asked the same on a Touhou forum not so long ago. They told me that it was not necessary, since there is not really a storyline between the games. You could play them in the order that you want, but if you want to know each character that appear in the games that follow, you should play them in order starting from the 6th one.

Everyone seems to say that the starting point is the 6th game and the first five are more for the hardcore fan of Touhou that want to play them all. So that's what I personnally did.
Nov 8, 2014 8:30 PM

Feb 2013
^ What he said.

My understanding from more hardcore fans is that EoSD is the popular one for newbies to start off with these days. I suppose because it's more easily accessible? So you're probably on the right track.
Nov 8, 2014 8:41 PM

Nov 2008
You don't really miss anything if you start on the 6th game.

The creator himself said that 1st-5th did not exist. xDD

So EoSD is the 1st game of Touhou

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Nov 8, 2014 10:07 PM

Jun 2011
The story in the Touhou games is just silly nonsense, the main motivations for the battles in Gensokyo seem to be either misunderstandings or boredom. You don't need to take it that seriously.

DenjaX said:
You don't really miss anything if you start on the 6th game.

You miss out on the gameplay. The first two games aren't very good, but 4 and 5 are great.
NarmyNov 8, 2014 10:11 PM

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

5 by H1ruma »»
35 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
9 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
Yesterday, 5:15 PM

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.