Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 21, 2014 7:56 PM

Oct 2014
Share and discuss your favorite metal bands and albums.

I dig lots of power metal:

...epic heavy metal:

...black metal:

...traditional heavy metal:

...and progressive metal:
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 22, 2014 4:03 AM

Mar 2014
Manilla Road rules indeed.
didnt know all bands you showed, but they all sound good indeed. still regret not getting that Celtic Frost record when i saw it at a 2ndhand shop for dirt cheap.. one of my biggest mistakes. did get some Venom, Saxon and Black Sabbath records from there, also a copy of Apocalyptic Raids (2nd or 3th press) for dirt cheap. they closed down before i could get back to pick up that Celtic Frost (also slayer Helloween and Iron Maiden..)

these days i mostly listen to Heavy/Speed Metal. (also NWOBHM, to lazy to be very sepecific)

and Sludge Metal.

wich kinda contradict eachother.

listen some other genres of metal too, like Doom, Power, Thrash etc. but i barely listen to Death Metal anymore. sure there are some exeptions, but i just don't care much for it anymore.
pretty picky about Black Metal too.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 22, 2014 2:37 PM

Mar 2012
video of a typical metal fan

Oct 22, 2014 3:11 PM

Feb 2013
SenpaiKilla said:
video of a typical metal fan

Damn right, Thrash4lyfe.
Oct 22, 2014 7:08 PM

Oct 2014
gizter13 said:
didnt know all bands you showed, but they all sound good indeed. still regret not getting that Celtic Frost record when i saw it at a 2ndhand shop for dirt cheap.. one of my biggest mistakes. did get some Venom, Saxon and Black Sabbath records from there, also a copy of Apocalyptic Raids (2nd or 3th press) for dirt cheap. they closed down before i could get back to pick up that Celtic Frost (also slayer Helloween and Iron Maiden..)

these days i mostly listen to Heavy/Speed Metal. (also NWOBHM, to lazy to be very sepecific) and Sludge Metal. wich kinda contradict eachother.

listen some other genres of metal too, like Doom, Power, Thrash etc. but i barely listen to Death Metal anymore. sure there are some exeptions, but i just don't care much for it anymore.

Excellent! It seems like we're going to get along quite well. If you like ADX, I'm sure you also probably like Sortilège, High Power, or Warning.

If you're into old school death metal, there are plenty of recent bands that keep that era alive and well:

What are your black metal preferences? I'm really picky about the second wave, but the first has so many amazing bands! Bathory, Venom, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Death SS, Running Wild (first two albums, in a way), Kreator (when they were Tormentor), Sodom, Mefisto, and so on.
Oct 23, 2014 6:50 AM
Jun 2014

Back in the day when metal ruled the world
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Oct 23, 2014 7:27 AM

Mar 2014
ShokParis said:
gizter13 said:

these days i mostly listen to Heavy/Speed Metal. (also NWOBHM, to lazy to be very sepecific) and Sludge Metal. wich kinda contradict eachother.

Excellent! It seems like we're going to get along quite well. If you like ADX, I'm sure you also probably like Sortilège, High Power, or Warning.

If you're into old school death metal, there are plenty of recent bands that keep that era alive and well
What are your black metal preferences? I'm really picky about the second wave, but the first has so many amazing bands! Bathory, Venom, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Death SS, Running Wild (first two albums, in a way), Kreator (when they were Tormentor), Sodom, Mefisto, and so on.

Sortilege are great yeah, but don't have anything from them. need to look up the other two, heard of High Spirits , but never listened to them)
i do have a bad habbit of comfusing the names of Sacrelege (crust) and Sortilege almost everytime...

yeah i like older DM sound, still listen to Obituary, (early) Bolt Thrower and actualy prefer later Death though, really love the Symbolic ablum.
also like Macabre, they are just a really fun listen.
but just dont feel like listening to death metal that much.
from newer bands i got Vampires first record, decent band, but really overhyped if you ask me. the Demo was so much better too.

with black metal i indeel like the first wave/pre BM stuff (nice to see Death SS get mentioned, you like Paul Chains solo stuff?), and some more atmospheric stuff, not into the whole try to be as extreme as it can get thing.
i like bands like Skagos, Leech, Terzij De Horde and Peste Noire.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 23, 2014 2:59 PM

Sep 2014
Some classics

Dillinger Escape Plan
Lighting shit on fire, amp being ripped apart by crowd, fire breathing, fire extinguishers...

Some more mathcore
Daughters. Such an underrated band.

Black Metal

Cybergrind

The_Dust_EaterOct 23, 2014 3:21 PM
Oct 23, 2014 3:33 PM

Oct 2014
gizter13 said:
Sortilege are great yeah, but don't have anything from them. need to look up the other two, heard of High Spirits , but never listened to them)
i do have a bad habbit of comfusing the names of Sacrelege (crust) and Sortilege almost everytime...

High Spirits is decent retro metal, yeah. I like Another Night. It's a solo project by the bassist and vocalist from Superchrist.
[quote=gizter13]yeah i like older DM sound, still listen to Obituary, (early) Bolt Thrower and actualy prefer later Death though, really love the Symbolic ablum.
also like Macabre, they are just a really fun listen.
but just dont feel like listening to death metal that much.[/video]
The first two or three Obituary albums are all that matter for me. Bolt Thrower has some great stuff, but I never gave them that much of a chance. I prefer Death in the

Spiritual Healing era, as I felt that was the perfect hybrid of both raw aggression and sheer technicality. Human is honestly a little forgettable, but

its first half is excellent. I need to hear more Macabre.

Have you checked out Dead Congregation? Greek bands never disappoint.

gizter13 said:
with black metal i indeel like the first wave/pre BM stuff (nice to see Death SS get mentioned, you like Paul Chains solo stuff?), and some more

atmospheric stuff, not into the whole try to be as extreme as it can get thing.
i like bands like Skagos, Leech, Terzij De Horde and Peste Noire.

Same here, man. When it comes to the second wave, I mostly listen to early Immortal, Dissection, Mutiilation, Necromantia, Countess, and so on. Mayhem isn't as great as most of the "kvlt" kiddies make them out to be, apart from the admittedly impressive Deathcrush EP.

I mostly know Death SS for their Evil Metal EP. I know that they've had some weird things going on later in their discography.
Oct 23, 2014 4:10 PM

Mar 2014
ShokParis said:

Same here, man. When it comes to the second wave, I mostly listen to early Immortal, Dissection, Mutiilation, Necromantia, Countess, and so on. Mayhem isn't as great as most of the "kvlt" kiddies make them out to be, apart from the admittedly impressive Deathcrush EP.

I mostly know Death SS for their Evil Metal EP. I know that they've had some weird things going on later in their discography.

also do not listen to Mayhem. Deathcrush is a cool album, but never really blew me away or anything.

as for Death SS, i only own the only own the 1977 - 1984 compilation, thats where all the good stuff is at indeed. not too fond of their later releases. the first ablum is still fine, but kinda boring. but do not feel its worth listening to anythnig from them since the 90's.
they lost a big part of their sound when Paul left when they split up in 84. Paul Chains first solo stuff still had this huge Death SS feel to it, but he really started experimenting a lot after that bringing some great Doom records to this world

also for Obituary i only own the first 2 albums. both amazing albums.
Dead Congregation never really cought my interest.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 23, 2014 6:18 PM

Mar 2014

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2014 9:21 PM

Sep 2014
LOL that aqua teen hunger force movie intro was by Mastodon @ 0:55
Oct 23, 2014 9:35 PM
Aug 2014
I don't know about y'all, but I'm voting for "The Satanist" by Behemoth as Metal Album of The Year. As soon as picked it up and listened to it, I immediately said, "This is the best Metal album this year" lol

Opeth's Pale Communion could win Progressive Rock album. I think it should. Then again, Opeth has one of the most versatile and best discographies in Metal, and music overall.
Oct 24, 2014 1:59 AM

Oct 2014
gizter13 said:
also do not listen to Mayhem. Deathcrush is a cool album, but never really blew me away or anything.

as for Death SS, i only own the only own the 1977 - 1984 compilation, thats where all the good stuff is at indeed. not too fond of their later releases. the first ablum is still fine, but kinda boring. but do not feel its worth listening to anythnig from them since the 90's.
they lost a big part of their sound when Paul left when they split up in 84. Paul Chains first solo stuff still had this huge Death SS feel to it, but he really started experimenting a lot after that bringing some great Doom records to this world

also for Obituary i only own the first 2 albums. both amazing albums.
Dead Congregation never really cought my interest.

Sounds good. I'll check out some of Paul Chain's solo stuff.

Do you like any Attacker? One of the best USPM bands, ever.

Oct 24, 2014 8:34 AM

Mar 2014
Otoha_Karas7 said:
I don't know about y'all, but I'm voting for "The Satanist" by Behemoth as Metal Album of The Year. As soon as picked it up and listened to it, I immediately said, "This is the best Metal album this year" lol

as i never liked Behemoth to begin with our opinions are not going to be the same. any other outstanting releases this year?
looking back there have been some nice releases this year, such at the long awaited Skaven Discography LP (it had been promised since like 2010).
have to admit i havn't heard anything as impressive as some albums from last year though.
Noothgrush is actively doing releases again, they got a new EP wich kicks ass, aswell as a live album and a cover album.
but my favorite untill now might be The Body's ''I Shall Die Here'' album. but not as good as last years ''Christs Redeemers'' by them.
they also did a collab with Thou, who also released a new album earlier this year. so that was pretty cool.
now that i look at it, i mostly got new releases from Sludge/Doom bands this year (Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, Bismuth, Acid Deathtrip, Herder, Sunn etc.), only 3 from Speed Metal bands.
and some local (mostly punk) stuff.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 24, 2014 12:42 PM
Aug 2014
gizter13 said:
as i never liked Behemoth to begin with our opinions are not going to be the same. any other outstanting releases this year?

And that's perfectly fine. What is it that you don't like about Behemoth? If I may, I think you should give it a try. This record is very, very different. Their musical shift was both shocking and genius, in my opinion. Especially the last track, very powerful stuff.

looking back there have been some nice releases this year, such at the long awaited Skaven Discography LP (it had been promised since like 2010).
have to admit i havn't heard anything as impressive as some albums from last year though.

Agreed, this year did have some nice releases, but nothing like last year.

now that i look at it, i mostly got new releases from Sludge/Doom bands this year (Eyehategod, Electric Wizard, Bismuth, Acid Deathtrip, Herder, Sunn etc.), only 3 from Speed Metal bands.
and some local (mostly punk) stuff.

Nice, wait what the hell? I had no idea Electric Wizard had released an album.
I know Mastodon isn't as sludge as they used to (I'm a fan of their progressive route), have you checked out "Once More Round The Sun"? I thought it was a great record.

" The Ways of Yore" by Varg Vikernes erm...I mean Burzum, was not bad. I enjoyed the Ambience.

I also enjoyed "Catacombs of The Black Vatican" by Black Label Society. It's what you'd expect from a BLS album, but it's better? Zakk's always been good at making the more emotion type songs, so, Angel of Mercy really stood out for me.

"War Eternal" by Arch Enemy wasn't bad, the new vocalist is pretty good. But, I feel Arch Enemy has sort of run out of ideas...am I the only one?

"Tibi Et Igni" by Vader was pretty damn good, strong 7-8/10.

"The Joy of Motion" by Animals As Leaders was very, very impressive. I give it a 9/10. Easily their best work to date.

"Celestite" by Wolves in The Throne Room was...different. I liked it though. Experimentation and Ambience has always caught my attention.

Patiently waiting for Vasenia's new album, which will be out on the 27th of this month.

This isn't Metal, but "Distant Satellites" by Anathema was very, very good. It's another of my favorites for this year.

Other than that, yeah..pretty average year.
Otoha_Karas7Oct 24, 2014 1:30 PM
Oct 24, 2014 1:27 PM

Mar 2014
Otoha_Karas7 said:

And that's perfectly fine. What is it that you don't like about Behemoth? If I may, I think you should give it a try. This record is very, very different. Their musical shift was both shocking and genius, in my opinion. Especially the last track, very powerful stuff.

skiped through it earler, it sounds pretty good technicaly, but it just doesnt do anything for me. just not into that kind of sound in general, never really been into bands like that.

kinda tough about getting the new WITTR album as my first of them when i heard of them working on one, but nah, honestly wasnt expecting an ambient album. never got it in the end. was hoping for something more along the way of Diadem of 12 Stars.

i also did not know about the new Electric wizard abum to he honest. didn't hear a thing about it until after it was realeased already.
seems a lot of people complain about it, but i like it, its a bit more atmosphere ridden than the stuff like Witchcult Today.

i could've seen multiple of the bands you named last summer at a festival. Behemoth, BLS and Mastodon played there. but i didn't. dont listen to Mastodon, but Cult Of Luna (which i went to see) played the exact same as Mastodon anyway. kinda stupid move if you ask me.

Otoha_Karas7 said:
Agreed, this year did have some nice releases, but nothing like last year.

the year is not over yet, last year on the christmass eve Doom (crust punk) released their new album, first in over 10 years. and its one of my favorites that year.
going t see Orange Goblin next week, i'll get their new album there, see if it's any good. more into their older stuff.
gizter13Oct 24, 2014 1:32 PM
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 25, 2014 6:06 PM

Sep 2014
This thread is so br00tal!
Oct 26, 2014 11:25 AM

Mar 2014
how 'bout Swedish Death Metal back in 2011?

Oct 26, 2014 1:28 PM

Oct 2014
Kirie_Himuro said:
I'd agree first wave black metal/proto-black is definitely great stuff although I do like some second wave. I just prefer it sounding rawer and having the black/thrash combination. Beherit are probably one of my favourite black metal bands, fits into early second wave I would say. I don't like their recent releases since recently reforming though. Marko Laiho also did two ambient "dark ritual music" by himself around 94 to 96 I think it was.

Japan also has some great bands that I've mentioned before in some other threads such as Abigail, Sigh and Sabbat among others.

NWOBH I also like quite a bit bands such as Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Tank and so forth as well as the more classic stuff.

There's honestly too much to mention.

Many of those bands I love -- especially Sabbat. Gezol is pretty much the Japanese incarnation of Cronos, but he's more than just that. I love all his work, from the pre-Sabbat days of early splits and EPs to the latest Metalucifer recordings. My current favorite Sabbat album is Evoke, with Sabbatrinity and Karisma right behind.

Since we're on the subject of Japanese metal bands, how about Hellen, Terra Rosa, Volfeed, Crowley, Prowler, Mein Kampf, or Rommel?

Medieval Steel is pretty good, but I'd rather listen to Omen, Manilla Road, Heavy Load, or Vault (obscure epic heavy metal band from the Netherlands).
Oct 26, 2014 1:39 PM

May 2014
I know a lot of metal fans don't really like Deafheaven too much because "they're not actually black metal" and all that jazz, but I've been listening to their new single quite a bit lately and I love it. It's definitely one of my favorite singles of 2014.

Oct 26, 2014 2:00 PM

Mar 2014
Kirie, what took you so long? expected some comments from you way earlier.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 26, 2014 3:01 PM

Dec 2007
I've only ever been able to get into doom (started with old Sabbath, natch). Traditonal, stoner, funeral, sludge.. all that good stuff; slow and down-tuned is the way. Although I'm rarely in the mood for it nowadays. Most other genres are either too extreme or too cheesy for me.

Seems a bit less popular than death, black, thrash, power, and all the rest, unfortunately.
SchnickelFritzOct 26, 2014 3:16 PM
Oct 26, 2014 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
Kirie_Himuro said:
Some of the Japanese bands you mentioned I used to listen to awhile back, but admittedly I haven't looked into them for sometime. I'll have to do so again. Metalucifier is a lot of fun. Gastunk I personally find to be a pretty good band, they have lots of punk and hard rock influence. Yasuyuki's other bands (the guitarist, singer, etc from Abigail) has other projects I enjoy such as Barbatos and Cut Throat. G.I.S.M., Sex Machineguns (from what I've listened to), Loudness, Endless Dismal Moan, Jurassic Jade as well as Boris I also like. Boris jump over the place with their genres though so I adore some albums, but others I'm not very fond of. Flower Travellin' Band I also like although they're more heavy psych/hard rock which personally I'm pretty big on with Japanese bands as well.

I like those other bands you mentionedl, but I just decided to post Medieval Steel at the time haha.

Early Loudness is a different beast from what they're like on their popular releases. As much as I like Thunder in the East, I find myself coming back to Disillusion the most.

If you love female vocals, then I think you'll certainly enjoy Terra Rosa:

Here's Vault:
Oct 26, 2014 3:19 PM

Oct 2014
Also, how many people here love Fates Warning as much as I do? The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian are all classics! Even the band's debut is quite solid, I might add...

I also really liked the Arch / Matheos effort from 2011. Too bad about John Arch not wanting to do shows often.
Oct 26, 2014 3:24 PM

Jun 2013
Metal Jesus will rock your soul
Oct 26, 2014 3:46 PM

Mar 2014
ShokParis said:

Here's Vault:

never heard of them.. i am terribly uneducated about my country's scene. discovered Emerald some time ago. really love them.

but other than that i mostly know new/active bands.

also my favorite japanese band is Corrupted. unlike most people i've heard, i prefer their later releases.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 26, 2014 4:22 PM

Oct 2014
Vault is good stuff. Sword of Steel is an even better release.

The only Emerald that I'm familiar with is the Christian USPM band of the same name. Gonna check them out right now.
Oct 27, 2014 4:56 PM

Oct 2014
Very much into Black/Thrash, Death/Thrash, NWOBHM, First Wave Black Metal, some second wave black metal, OSDM (Old School Death Metal,) Power Metal, Doom metal, Sludge metal, Traditional heavy metal, and a bit of progressive metal.

Been getting into Amebix, Morbid, Perversor, Hell, Summon, Vallenfype, My Dying Bride (early), Midnight, Darkthrone, Napalm Death, Disfear, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Sodom, and alot more.

ShokParis said:
Also, how many people here love Fates Warning as much as I do? The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian are all classics! Even the band's debut is quite solid, I might add...

I also really liked the Arch / Matheos effort from 2011. Too bad about John Arch not wanting to do shows often.

Fates Warning The Spectre Within album is the best imo.
Oct 27, 2014 5:19 PM

Mar 2014
Kenshiro666 said:

Been getting into Amebix, Morbid, Perversor, Hell, Summon, Vallenfype, My Dying Bride (early), Midnight, Darkthrone, Napalm Death, Disfear, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Sodom, and alot more.

Amebix!! amazing band. love them so much. after all this time, they still have very distinctive sound unlike most 80's bands that have been imitated 1000's of times.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 27, 2014 5:20 PM

Sep 2014
Pretty good death metal spinoff.
Oct 27, 2014 7:52 PM
Aug 2014
SchnickelFritz said:
I've only ever been able to get into doom (started with old Sabbath, natch). Traditonal, stoner, funeral, sludge.. all that good stuff; slow and down-tuned is the way. Although I'm rarely in the mood for it nowadays. Most other genres are either too extreme or too cheesy for me.

Seems a bit less popular than death, black, thrash, power, and all the rest, unfortunately.

Doom Metal eh?

Check out:

Abstract Spirit -Funeral Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "Tragedy And Weeds", "Theomorphic Defectiveness"

Ahab -Funeral Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "The Call of The Wretched Sea", " The Giant"

The Angelic Process -Drone/Doom Metal"
Recommended album: Weighing Souls with Sand

Black Bloned Angel -Drone/Doom Metal-
Recommended album: "Bliss And Void Inseperable"

Black Magician -Doom Metal-
Recommended album: "Nature Is The Devil's Church"

Black Sun Aeon -Death/Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "Darkness Walks Besides Me", " Blacklight Deliverance"

Blood of The Black Owl -Stoner/Doom Metal-
Recommended album: "Blood of The Black Owl"

Candlemass -Doom Metal-
Recommended album: "Nightfall", "Ancient Dreams", " Tales of Creation", "Candlemass"

Daylight Dies -Death/Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "Dismantling Devotion", "A Frail Becoming"
(Dismantling Devotion is one of my favorite albums)

Earth -Drone/Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "Earth 2 - Special Low Frequency Version", "Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions", "HEX; or Printing in the Infernal Method"

My Dying Bride -Death/Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light", "A Map of All Our Failures", "Turn Loose the Swans"

Paradise Lost -Gothic/Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "Gothic", "One Second", "In Requiem"

Pelican -Sludge/Doom Metal-
Recommended albums: "The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw", "What We All Come to Need"

Sunn O))) & Boris -Drone/Doom Metal-
Recommended album: "Altar"

Just a bit of Doom Metal. Enjoy
Oct 27, 2014 8:10 PM

Oct 2014
Solitude Aeturnus and Sleepy Hollow are also incredible bands.

Also, Paradise Lost's debut is the only really good thing that they released.
Oct 27, 2014 8:35 PM
Aug 2014
ShokParis said:
Also, Paradise Lost's debut is the only really good thing that they released.

Coming from someone who thinks Sleepy Hollow is an "incredible band" lmao

Even "Tragic Idols", their last album, was rated higher and better received.

Kirie_Himuro said:
The Angelic Process are an excellent band in my opinion, nicely blended elements of other genres as well outside of Metal. I find it be ethereal and beautiful music especially if you let it just wash over you. I also feel there's a very melancholic tone to it, even more so since Kris' death. "Burning in the Undertow of God" is my favourite song on that album.

100% description.
My favorite is the titled track. It's so apocalyptic.
Otoha_Karas7Oct 27, 2014 8:39 PM
Oct 27, 2014 9:46 PM
Jul 2018

Oct 28, 2014 3:41 PM

Sep 2014
Just found out about a one man black metal band near where I live. Strange, since black metal isn't big around here.
warning: it's very lo-fi, bordering on the noise genre
Oct 28, 2014 4:03 PM

Mar 2014
Otoha_Karas7 said:

Doom Metal eh?

speaking of doom. going to Dutch Doom Days this weekend. only on the sunday, will be seeing the legendary Saint Vitus. got to see Candlemass and the mighty Pentagram earlier this year.
Acid Deathtrip are also playing. great dutch sludge(kinda) band.

last year Dresden/Leningrad (dutch doom band) played DDD too. really love them.

aswell as Funeralium (Funeral Doom) and Doomed (Death/Doom). pretty nice day that was.

have you heard the new Sunn O))) collaboration already? got it in the mail today. i like it.

The_Dust_Eater said:
Just found out about a one man black metal band near where I live. Strange, since black metal isn't big around here.
warning: it's very lo-fi, bordering on the noise genre

check this out. there's something beautiful about the riffs.
gizter13Oct 28, 2014 4:21 PM
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 28, 2014 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
I'd like to mention another japanese band - Coffins

My recent discoveries are Abhorrence - Vulgar Necrolatry (one of the best demos I ever heard) and Yyrkoon - Occult medicine..I'll put both links in spoiler

Oct 28, 2014 6:06 PM

Dec 2009
Nothing is better than 80s speed metal.

And what ever happened to high-pitched yells?
Oct 29, 2014 4:26 AM

Mar 2014
EndorsToi said:
[spoiler][/spolier]

i only got their split with Noothgrush last year. had heard of them before, but never really looked into them that much, still not that much now though. maybe grab an album someday.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 29, 2014 4:29 AM
Mar 2011
EndorsToi said:

My recent discoveries are Abhorrence - Vulgar Necrolatry (one of the best demos I ever heard) and Yyrkoon - Occult medicine..I'll put both links in spoiler

try Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 29, 2014 4:32 AM
Mar 2011
but oveer all in Japan older metal is better cuase there was more veriation
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 29, 2014 4:50 AM
Jun 2014
Is it me or have Dragonforce's live performances becaome much better ever since they kicked that vocalist out?
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Oct 29, 2014 6:37 AM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:

try Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation

damn, the name seemed familiar. think i remember now. some all Female grind band or something.

Culex said:
Nothing is better than 80s speed metal.

And what ever happened to high-pitched yells?

now that you mentioned it, you can still hear them extended from the lyrics a alot of times,
but just random for the hell of it, i indeed barely hear of anymore.

fond one @ 1:00.

0:38 counts too if you ask me.

can't think of ony others.

still i am a huge sucker for Jon Oliva's way of doing it.
AH, AH, AH, AH, AH! (2:58)
gizter13Oct 29, 2014 6:43 AM
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Oct 29, 2014 9:42 AM

Dec 2013
Usually if a rythm or beat of a song appeals to me I'll like it. Though I've noticed I have a taste for thrash metal more than anything haha. I however enjoy heavy metal, progressive,power,and symphonic. Black and doom are lower on the list though =P.

Also since Japanese bands were mentioned, girugamesh is pretty good.

Oct 29, 2014 6:52 PM

Oct 2014
Otoha_Karas7 said:

Coming from someone who thinks Sleepy Hollow is an "incredible band" lmao

Even "Tragic Idols", their last album, was rated higher and better received.

Gothic rock/metal just isn't that good to my ears, sad to say. The band was a lot better when they had more of a death metal sound to it.

It doesn't matter how popular an album is, because I don't follow merely what the mainstream market says. I judge by my ears before anything else, regardless.
Oct 29, 2014 7:04 PM
Aug 2014
ShokParis said:
Gothic rock/metal just isn't that good to my ears, sad to say. The band was a lot better when they had more of a death metal sound to it.

It doesn't matter how popular an album is, because I don't follow merely what the mainstream market says. I judge by my ears before anything else, regardless.

Not liking it is one thing. I can respect that.
But saying x is not good, or in your case "only their debut is good" due to your preference is wrong. Your little opinion is invalid when a lot of their work has been praised, over the years, by actual critics.

And no, I don't base my opinion on what critics have to say. I'm only bringing it up, because it wouldn't matter if it was your word against mine.

Sorry but, what? Mainstream? Paradise Lost? Lmao, you're silly. I can't even type an argument towards that because of how stupid your remark is.

Basically, I could say the same about all the cheesy ass Power Metal you and others have posted, along with the cookie-cutting Jap bands, but I don't. Because it's my opinion based on my preferences.
Otoha_Karas7Oct 29, 2014 7:08 PM
Oct 29, 2014 7:17 PM

Oct 2014
Otoha_Karas7 said:
But saying x is not good, or in your case "only their debut is good" due to your preference is wrong.

Saying something isn't good is the same as saying you don't like it; it's an opinion. I've heard their later releases, but they just don't do it for me.
Otoha_Karas7 said:
Your little opinion is invalid when a lot of their work has been praised, over the years, by actual critics.

My "little opinion"? Stop being such a fucking fanboy. I even criticize some of my favorite bands. Not everything a band touches is gold. The fact that you'd rather trust a "critic" -- someone who usually knows piss about music -- pretty much shows the whole fallacy of your reasoning. You're like an overzealous parrot.
Otoha_Karas7 said:
Sorry but, what? Mainstream? Paradise Lost? Lmao, you're silly. I can't even type an argument towards that because of how stupid your remark is.

Paradise Lost is known the world over; they're mainstream. I'm talking about how I don't suck up to what the sheep hype up, as if they'd change my life forever.
Otoha_Karas7 said:
Basically, I could say the same about all the cheesy ass Power Metal you and others have posted, along with the cookie-cutting Jap bands, but I don't. Because it's my opinion based on my preferences.

You're just resorting to calling people names for not agreeing with your supposedly "flawless" perspective. I don't think you've actually heard most of the bands that I posted, because a lot of the power metal that I listen to is quite devoid of "cheese".

It's not like I went around insulting any of Paradise Lost's other albums, but merely saying that only their debut and most of Gothic did it for me.

This is supposed to be a discussion, and not a quarrel among children. Stop being so uptight over what someone else has to say that you don't like. Anyway, I have better things to do than to continue this trivial matter. Opinions are opinions.
ShokParisOct 29, 2014 7:32 PM
Oct 29, 2014 7:48 PM
Aug 2014
ShokParis said:
No, saying something isn't good is just an opinion. I've heard their later releases, but they just don't do it for me.

but they just don't do it for me

Yes, that's connected to your preference, to what you like, and don't like. If you personally like something, it doesn't make it good. Just like disliking something doesn't make it bad. It's just you. (Of course, this doesn't apply to actual bad artists/bands/songs, ect.)

My "little opinion"? Stop being such a fucking fanboy. I even criticize some of my favorite bands. Not everything a band touches is gold.

And I agree, but I'm not a fanboy. This started over a band, but I raised a point and turned it into an argument about overall music. Every artist/band has their share of bad music, kind of like some of the bands you've posted (before you do, don't assume I hate Power Metal. A lot of it is cheesy though).

Paradise Lost is known the world over; they're mainstream. I'm talking about how I don't suck up to what the sheep hype up, as if they'd change my life forever.

Sorry but you couldn't be any more wrong. Since you like to throw that word around, like a fucking music snob, you should learn to use it. " Mainstream" is popular culture, familiar and made ton attract the masses, aka trend. If Paradise Lost were mainstream, they'd be headlining fucking Rockstar Energy and Mayhem Fest. But no, actual mainstream bands like Slipknot and Slayer headline those.

If Mainstream means what you say, then older bands like them are also mainstream. Oh wait? No the fuck they're not.

You're just resorting to calling people names for not agreeing with your supposedly "flawless" perspective. I don't think you've actually heard most of the bands that I posted, because a lot of the power metal that I listen to is quite devoid of "cheese".

Resortinflg to calling people names? Because " fucking fanboy" and "overzealous parrot" is just fine and dandy, right? Don't be a hypocrite, please.
And yes, I have, long before they were even posted on here by you. What? You think you're the only one to ever lay ears to such music? Snob at its finest.

t's not like I went around insulting any of Paradise Lost's other albums, but merely saying that only their debut and most of Gothic did it for me.

This is supposed to be a discussion, and not a quarrel among children. Stop being so uptight over what someone else has to say that you don't like. Anyway, I have better things to do than to continue this trivial matter. Opinions are opinions.

No, you said, and I quote "Also, Paradise Lost's debut is the only really good thing that they released.", as a statement. Based on your preferences. As if you were the deciding factor in what is good and what is not. I only questioned your tastes because of what you seem to deem good and bad. That's all. If you had said " I don't like any of their work besides the debut", that would be another thing.

Like the user who said he didn't like Behemoth. He didn't say "hey, all their work sucks", he merely said HE didn't like them.

You're saying one thing then going back by saying " No, I only meant X doesn't do it for me." Stick to what you said.

And yeah, this could stay a discussion thread. Hell, this could have gone very different. I could have asked "Oh why dom't you like their work past their debut?", but no, you said their work past their first wasn't good.

So really, this wasn't about damage controlling for some band, it was what people think they can write off simply because it doesn't pique their interests.

I'm sure you do have better things to do, yet you replied.
Otoha_Karas7Oct 29, 2014 7:52 PM
Oct 29, 2014 7:50 PM

Oct 2014
Otoha_Karas7 said:

Not liking it is one thing. I can respect that.
But saying x is not good, or in your case "only their debut is good" due to your preference is wrong. Your little opinion is invalid when a lot of their work has been praised, over the years, by actual critics.

And no, I don't base my opinion on what critics have to say. I'm only bringing it up, because it wouldn't matter if it was your word against mine.

Critics you say? Who cares about them?! Their just made of people that just don't understand music and being bias. Real metalhead don't care about the critics, they judge the music for themselves and not let other tell them what to listen to on the radio.

Let just focus on discussion our various taste in metal. Not here to start flame war.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» godzilla minus one is one of the best sci-fi movie ever made!!11!!1

FruitPunchBaka - 11 hours ago

2 by LightWorker »»
23 minutes ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

31 by scarydragon »»
29 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7645 by Maumuu »»
42 minutes ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

41 by HopiumAddict »»
1 hour ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3413 by k00lmagn3t »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.