Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2014 10:45 PM
Nov 2010
I really enjoyed this episode. The feels and the performance was amazing...and the dialogue was just....perfect. I llicited to me all the feelings...of being in a recital..in an old theater...at watching a captivating performance that gives you performance..and most importantly the moment when you first lay eyes on a girl and determine she's absolutely beautiful. I love the metaphor of bringing color to life....everything about this anime evokes out my memories and feelings of the past..of feelings things and living and experience things. I hope this trend continues. Absolutely can't wait till the next episode.

I personally felt her performance was exactly characteristic of Beethoven with the huge contrast and strong powerful emotions.

As this episode winded down at the end, I googled the song to find another live performance just to confirm my interpretation of her performance was as characteristic of Beethoven as I thought. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_e_aPeeBMo

I also get the feeling that Tsubaki loves Kousei. Just the way she could understand him and so was tuned in to him at the concert was really singular in focus and filled with the kind of empathy that makes me thing this is gonna be a love triangle as well.

Kaori is definitely enchanting~ dunno what is about blondes in anime...lol xD
Oct 17, 2014 10:45 PM

Sep 2014
The animation is beautiful. It's making me fall more and more in love with it. I'm actually feeling nervous about the dating situation going on. I want Kousei to get with Kaori, but I don't know/think she will feel that way about him. Plus there is the friendship between Kousei and Ryouta. But I think he may be willing to put that into jeopardy to be with her.
Oct 18, 2014 1:30 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
That was a beautiful performance in both animation and sound departments. On closer examination, the art isn't exactly exceptional as I had initially thought but I think the bright colour palette they decided to use more than makes up for that and there is quite a degree of attention to detail.

Even at this point you can start to draw the lines between what are going to be a load of one way love, but I am looking forward to seeing the two perform together maybe sometime not too far in the future!
Oct 18, 2014 1:36 AM

Apr 2014
Really reallly like this anime so far ! So many good anime this season I wish I had more time...
Really loved her performance !
Oct 18, 2014 3:45 AM

Apr 2009
I was in ambivalence over this series since it's only the early episodes but much like the main character in this episode, I don't want to see it at first (because it might suck sooner or later) and the feeling...uhmm yearning to see more of this (because of the uncertainty of their fate at the end of it all.) Anime gods help me, I'm turning into a tsundere! @_@ It's not that I like it or anything... I just wanted to see it! LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 18, 2014 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
What did Kousei mean by "It's like what my mother left me scatters away" @ 18:55 and "You exist inside spring" @ 19:38?
Oct 18, 2014 4:25 AM

Feb 2010
Next episode please.

I hate myself for picking this series too early -___-
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Oct 18, 2014 4:45 AM

Jan 2014
honestly, I love this show very much. However, after reading the manga until chapter 17, I realized that I'm going to put this anime on-hold and I'll continue after episode 14 or maybe more. Anyway, it's an interesting story, but I'm gonna continue later.
Oct 18, 2014 6:12 AM

Apr 2013
that was fantastic
Oct 18, 2014 6:31 AM
Jul 2013
I really really like the animation - the bow movement when Kaori plays the violin was nicely detailed and the music is really nice. Honestly very impressed by this adaption so far
Oct 18, 2014 6:32 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode, the animation is just too beautiful. Looking forward the drama~
Oct 18, 2014 7:01 AM
Jul 2013
Josh- said:
Now I feel like listening to some violin music. Anyone have any recommendations? If so, I'd appreciate some, as I have no idea where to start.

Helmut Lachenmann - Toccatina
Oct 18, 2014 7:05 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
PoLoBreak said:
What did Kousei mean by "It's like what my mother left me scatters away" @ 18:55 and "You exist inside spring" @ 19:38?

First one he was talking about how his mum always put the importance of winning first but as you saw this episode, Kaori not giving a stuff about that and playing just because she enjoys it blows away those principles his mother taught him. Second one, err I don't think there was any deeper meaning in there, he basically said Kaori appeared in spring, since it's set during spring right? Well April's right there in the title.
Oct 18, 2014 7:31 AM
Jul 2013
For those who are interested:
This episode actually brought up a couple of relevant issues that have been around a while.
There are actually people (quite renown musicians, competition winners etc.) who are against the mentality of competitions and concurs (and want them eradicated), because they don't create musicians. But breed stale performers that play dots on paper. To win concurs, you basically have to play the pieces "the accepted way" perfectly. The problem with this is that there isn't really a 'right' way of interpreting a classical work. The scores in those times were rather vague (because the performers were trained in certain ways, so they know the conventions) and tempo markings, articulation, etc. was considerably different in the common practice era compared to how they now (one reason is because of the metronome). Of course there are performers who research these things and try to do 'historically informed performances' but even in these performances, there are still huge deviations (Some people even dismiss this idea altogether).
Taking this into consideration, what Kaori was doing wasn't really that radical as the head judge made it seem. This episode did a really good thing by critiquing his mentality (because a lot people in real life have this mentality). But having said that I'm not sure if I like this series or not...
Oct 18, 2014 7:58 AM

Jan 2014
Okey, so this one is going to be anime of the season (maybe even of the year)

Emotions is really strong here. Reasonable and interesting characters, good themes and ideas. That's my thing. ^^
Oct 18, 2014 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
This week's episode was too great, And we have 20 episodes more to go !
I really have a high expectation of this series since it reminds of Nodame Cantabile's feeling, the performance of was great despite she knew her violin playing was off to the original song.

She wasn't looking for winner tittle, she was spreading her love of music through her performance.
Honestly i could see which pairing will be up on the scenes towards the end of the episode, damn can't wait for another eargasm :D

Oct 18, 2014 11:33 AM

May 2010
She owned the stage, amazing performance! Loved the animation, too.
Oct 18, 2014 12:31 PM

Mar 2013
Love this anime,
Amazing Episode.
Oct 18, 2014 2:20 PM

Jun 2014
Is it too early to give this anime a 10?
Oct 18, 2014 2:41 PM

Jul 2008
Let's enjoy while the setting is light. When the feels finally hit, I don't think anyone will be safe.
Oct 18, 2014 4:39 PM

Apr 2011
Very good episode. The girl's performance was amazing and I'm just in love with this amine. Great story and the animation is just beautiful.
Oct 18, 2014 6:18 PM
Aug 2013
I'm really liking this anime. I wasn't even waiting for it to air, and now I can't wait until the next episode.

I figured she likes Kousei because she got really nervous/shaky when asking him what he thought of her performance.

I'm absolutely loving the poetic lines Kousei says when thinking of Kaori, its just so romantic.
Oct 18, 2014 7:40 PM

Jul 2012
YES. This show fills my Gin no Saji, Chihayafuru, Nodame Cantabile and Sakamichi no Apollon void all together!

I liked that in the middle school competition, you can hear that they're middle schoolers. Like, they purposely made the violins not completely in tune and very imperfect. I also like how the main guy was cheering on the player.

The animation is so amazing when she plays the violin! Omg, this is like Nodame but with a higher budget (obviously because it's newer)

One thing I didn't like was the random comedic moments. Kind of out of place in this show, because it tries for drama/serious more? Also, the cheesy dialogue about love and whatever doesn't really suit a second episode. And the way they ended this episode was...odd?

Otherwise, I absolutely loved this episode and it held onto episode 1's quality. This is by far the most consistently good show this season out of the 27 I'm following.
Oct 18, 2014 7:46 PM

Jun 2012
FueledbyKass said:
I'm really liking this anime. I wasn't even waiting for it to air, and now I can't wait until the next episode.
Same here, just glanced at the title, and only decided to pick it up after it started airing. Now, as far as my first impressions of the season goes, it's right up there in the top 5.

I really loved Kaori's performance part, really nice to get the whole thing. It almost got me clapping at the end. There's absolutely nothing right now that's decreasing my hype. Love it.
Oct 18, 2014 7:55 PM
Nov 2013
Pretty good, the bad part is that it will be sad to wait one week for just one episode. I should watch this kind of show after the airing period, but whatever. I couldn't wait for it anyway. I love the premise and the story until now, and characters seem quite likable. Sound is great, and the visuals are probably the best thing I see in a long time. It reminds me of Honey and Clover somehow. Hope it's as good as.
Oct 18, 2014 8:57 PM

May 2013
OMG I can NOT wait for them to play music together. Going to be so chilling.

Totally getting Sakamichi no Apollon vibes. I wish we could get another jazz anime, but this will definitely work for now.
Oct 18, 2014 9:06 PM

Jul 2012
Garudan said:
Totally getting Sakamichi no Apollon vibes. I wish we could get another jazz anime, but this will definitely work for now.

I know right. I'd kill for another one, maybe even longer than Sakamichi no Apollon and not just about a pianist. >_<
Oct 18, 2014 9:39 PM
Oct 2013
Haven't read the manga but I'm going to speculate the lie was Kaori telling Kousei that he's the substitute/friend A when he's really the one she likes.
Oct 19, 2014 2:24 AM

Jul 2012
Another love comedy. But really well done. My only worry is that 22 episodes is too long, and it will fall flat with 2-3 love twists and end up with something lame.
Oct 19, 2014 4:14 AM

Oct 2014
Impressive performance in the second episode. <3 hope this keeps up. 5/5
Oct 19, 2014 4:20 AM
Jul 2011
idk i fken hate ntr, love triangles and unrequited love... if thats the forced melodrama its going to incorporate it can go fuck it self
Oct 19, 2014 6:49 AM

Feb 2013
Was there something wrong with Kao-chan's hand? It seems kinda shaky from this part...
Oct 19, 2014 6:52 AM

Jul 2014
klasmiit-gamay said:
Was there something wrong with Kao-chan's hand? It seems kinda shaky from this part...

That moment was as same as Arima's hand shaking, he knew something had happened on her so Arima gave him a slight soft compliment

Oct 19, 2014 8:02 AM
Apr 2014
Seiryuu2 said:
klasmiit-gamay said:

That moment was as same as Arima's hand shaking, he knew something had happened on her so Arima gave him a slight soft compliment

Even though it doesn't seem like it, she is actually quite self-conscious and insecure, despite her personality. Arima did give her a compliment, so she could feel a bit better for herself. She herself knows about Arima and how he used to play, as he was a "celebrity" in the classical music world. Her playing is also different from others, so people would judge her differently.
Oct 19, 2014 8:31 AM

Jul 2013
Man, the author just outright copied Nodame and changed the setting to middle school. So here we have another girl so uberly talented yet playing haphazardly and in her own style while the male MC is also supremely talented yet has a childhood trauma that hold back his progress.

That being said I'm just glad there's another anime like this even if it's just a copy and the production value is also really high. How I wish Nodame was made in this Blu Ray era and with this kind of budget (although all of Nodame's budget may have gone to the orchestra)
Oct 19, 2014 9:04 AM
Apr 2013
My entire week has pretty much become "why isn't the next episode of this out yet."

As an aside, can anyone explain why it's 'shigatsu wa' and not 'shigatsu ni' ? I would have thought shigatsu wa kimi no uso would be more like "April is your lie" rather than "Your lie in April" (only a beginner and particles are still complicated)
Oct 19, 2014 11:14 AM

Feb 2012
It was an okay episode, thinking of just marathoning in one go after it airs b4 i lose interest.
Oct 19, 2014 5:07 PM

Jul 2012
MoeGod said:
That being said I'm just glad there's another anime like this even if it's just a copy and the production value is also really high. How I wish Nodame was made in this Blu Ray era and with this kind of budget (although all of Nodame's budget may have gone to the orchestra)

True. And maybe I wouldn't call it a ripoff yet...The main characters are still a bit different. I think Kaori will be less of an airhead compared to Nodame (not that Nodame is bad or anything ofc) while Kousei is less of a tyrant compared to Chiaki and more "emo"ish lol
Oct 19, 2014 6:21 PM

Nov 2012
Hmm I kinda like it so far. Looking forward to hearing more music!

Only thing is that the humor seems too forced. Also the romance seems like it's gonna be one of those "sad boy falls in love with manic pixie dream girl" type deals.

But they did drop some hints regarding Kaori's character beyond her just being the passionate, bubbly love interest who doesn't follow the rules and is the opposite of the protagonist. Her complex is that she needs affirmation for her performances, perhaps. (Her hand was trembling after Kousei initially gave a lukewarm response to her question.) So she's not as confident as she looks. I guess her and Kousei will grow together and balance each other out.
Oct 19, 2014 6:37 PM

May 2013
Getting major Nodame Cantabile vibes, along with a liberal helping of Honey and Clover. Not that that's a bad thing, if you're going to take inspiration from shows about the arts and romance, might as well take from the best.

Seriously though, I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. I was bit wary due to the series composer being Yoshioka Takao -- aka the guy who's behind a fuckton of ecchi -- but he's proven that he can do other shit before, and I guess this is further proof. Very high quality stuff here.

Though I guess the manga its based on is still running? Can anyone say how close it is to finishing? Are we going to get yet another unfinished anime series? I certainly hope not -- there's nothing worse than an unfinished romance.
Oct 19, 2014 6:44 PM
Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
MoeGod said:

True. And maybe I wouldn't call it a ripoff yet...The main characters are still a bit different. I think Kaori will be less of an airhead compared to Nodame (not that Nodame is bad or anything ofc) while Kousei is less of a tyrant compared to Chiaki and more "emo"ish lol

No this manga is not a rip off Nodame. It has a different story to tell. Just lean back and enjoy. Oh, and Kousei is the hero of this story, not Kaori. And I earnestly hope this season covers the best Bro Con I have read in a manga.

As for the title, Japanese allows a wealth of interpretations, but I think the better translation would be "Speaking of April, that lie you told..." would best describe what I think the writer wanted to say. "Wa" is a subject marker, and that means something much, much different than using a temporal marker like "ni".
Oct 19, 2014 7:19 PM

Jul 2012
Starmac said:
Though I guess the manga its based on is still running? Can anyone say how close it is to finishing? Are we going to get yet another unfinished anime series? I certainly hope not -- there's nothing worse than an unfinished romance.

The manga will end at the same time as the anime, so this is confirmed to be a complete anime. :)
Oct 19, 2014 7:27 PM
Nov 2013
I'm watching Nodame Cantabile right now, just because some of you are saying it's similar. But I'm surprised with the fact that they are extremely different. The only similarity is that both are about classical music lol. The story is different, goals are different, characters are completely different, music is different, roles are different, setting is different, demographic is different, even the focus is totally different... Well, can't say much because this is in the beginning, but there's nothing alike '-'

Either way, Nodame is quite a surprise, pretty good show. Hope they manage to develop this nicely as well.
Oct 19, 2014 7:47 PM

May 2013
mayukachan said:
Starmac said:

The manga will end at the same time as the anime, so this is confirmed to be a complete anime. :)

That's a relief to hear! I guess all we gotta' do now is sit back and enjoy the show -- it's sure to be a good one!
Oct 19, 2014 9:15 PM

Feb 2010
The performance was awesome, I hope the music in this gets as much focus as it did in Nodame Cantabile.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 19, 2014 9:18 PM

Nov 2011
loved the episode, cant even get enough of that opening
Hate Keeps me warm
Oct 19, 2014 9:19 PM

Jun 2009
God damn that Violin scene was great. Glad I've picked this up, it's quite good so far.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 20, 2014 4:12 AM

Mar 2013
Those implications... I think she actually loves Kousei and is just acting.
Oct 20, 2014 4:46 AM

May 2009
klasmiit-gamay said:

It's called foreshadowing, which you could point out to some blind morons that future drama isn't out of nowhere.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.