Forum Settings
Forums

***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 13, 2014 2:15 AM

Jan 2013
AirStyles said:
SolviteSekai said:
This thread proves that MAL prefers edge over fun.

I don't think that's a fair judgement. (Seeing Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and Gintama being so popular on the site)

Fun anime are fun, but sometimes, it's hard to "see the fun" when you're not happy with how the anime/writing turned out.

Thats when you get over it, instead of crying like a pseudo-intellectual, as though your cartoons are somehow more mature than everyone elses cartoons.
Sep 13, 2014 2:26 AM

Jun 2008
OP, did you really think people were going to read that fucking wall of text?
Sep 13, 2014 2:26 AM

Jun 2009
SolviteSekai said:
AirStyles said:

I don't think that's a fair judgement. (Seeing Gurren Lagann, Code Geass and Gintama being so popular on the site)

Fun anime are fun, but sometimes, it's hard to "see the fun" when you're not happy with how the anime/writing turned out.

Thats when you get over it, instead of crying like a pseudo-intellectual, as though your cartoons are somehow more mature than everyone elses cartoons.

Did I even cry over this?

All I did was pointing out you're generalizing the whole of MAL unfairly, and provide another point of view.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2014 4:23 AM
Sep 2014
***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:11 PM
Sep 13, 2014 4:31 AM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:11 PM
Sep 13, 2014 4:39 AM

Jan 2013
SolviteSekai said:
This thread proves that MAL prefers edge over fun.

That's a small minded generalization.
Sep 13, 2014 4:47 AM
Jan 2013
san_sevieria said:
[I]

SSY contains no wanton fanservice, no unnecessary gore, and no harem for those who seek to gratify their wishes vicariously. No product placement, no OP featuring/promoting a popular band, no ending that prioritizes leaving room for a potential sequel over delivering the best ending. Most important of all, it respected its viewers by treating them as intelligent human beings instead of wallets made from dried testosterone. It’s a smart, tasteful, and self-respecting show that gives us a feel for what the medium is capable of achieving at its purest.

In the end, although SSY was critically hailed as a masterpiece in just about every aspect, it attained one of the worst BD/DVD sales numbers for its time. Meanwhile, SAO was almost universally panned by non-fanboy viewers, yet it was a smashing financial success.

This thread was clearly made to force down everyone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibility.

Your reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

So what does SSY have? Nothing special! judging from what you said.

Convince me, a neutral party of its worth...

l
genesic123Sep 13, 2014 4:52 AM

Sep 13, 2014 4:47 AM

Jan 2012
SAO is truly legendary.
you sound poor
Sep 13, 2014 4:54 AM

Jan 2013
genesic123 said:

This thread was clearly made to force down everone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibily.

You reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

l

Have you seen it? no. will you ever? probably not as you are a casual fan.

This thread is obviously not for people who haven't seen both shows...that much should be obvious
Sep 13, 2014 4:56 AM

May 2014
genesic123 said:
san_sevieria said:
[I]

SSY contains no wanton fanservice, no unnecessary gore, and no harem for those who seek to gratify their wishes vicariously. No product placement, no OP featuring/promoting a popular band, no ending that prioritizes leaving room for a potential sequel over delivering the best ending. Most important of all, it respected its viewers by treating them as intelligent human beings instead of wallets made from dried testosterone. It’s a smart, tasteful, and self-respecting show that gives us a feel for what the medium is capable of achieving at its purest.

In the end, although SSY was critically hailed as a masterpiece in just about every aspect, it attained one of the worst BD/DVD sales numbers for its time. Meanwhile, SAO was almost universally panned by non-fanboy viewers, yet it was a smashing financial success.

This thread was clearly made to force down everyone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibility.

Your reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

l
theres no need to prove that ssy is better than sao. that fact is self evident to everyone who has watched both shows
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 13, 2014 5:06 AM
Jan 2013
TheNaturalPerm said:
genesic123 said:

This thread was clearly made to force down everone's throats that ssy is better than sao.

You have not proven that ssy is the other possibily.

You reasoning is as superficial as sao.

Its "smart", "great".

l

Have you seen it? no. will you ever? probably not as you are a casual fan.

This thread is obviously not for people who haven't seen both shows...that much should be obvious

You are holding all of anime into account.

Just saying

How much do you know of this show over all other anime to declare it a masterpiece?

Sep 13, 2014 5:24 AM

Oct 2013
both suck
Sep 13, 2014 5:50 AM

May 2014
Brobot said:
both suck
you havent seen either of them troll

fuk off lol
Sep 13, 2014 6:00 AM

Jan 2013
genesic123 said:
[

You are holding all of anime into account.

Just saying

How much do you know of this show over all other anime to declare it a masterpiece?

I've seen it. that's how much I know about that show. DUH. your statement is rather dumb.
Sep 13, 2014 6:09 AM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:12 PM
Sep 13, 2014 6:12 AM

Oct 2010
People who say that those who haven't watched SSY and SAO shouldn't have a word in here are clearly close-minded and haven't got the point of the OP at all. This is the best excuse I could come with to participate in this thread, sorry

Anyway, I understand that frustration, but are the so-called "good" shows going to become less accesible from now on? No, not really. If they have been rare, they will keep being rare, consistantly so. Meanwhile, the mainstream will follow its natural flow of popularity and money making. The point is, it is legitimate to complain about the lack of rare gems but it is futile. We have to take advantage of the current situation where everything is relatively easy to watch and/or get, including the stuff that is outside of the mainstream tastes.
Sep 13, 2014 8:04 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 10:05 AM

Oct 2013
^ Please stop your bitching now, and stop acting like SSY can't be criticize, I've seen plenty negative reviews of it.

Just as how you think it's one of the best thing you ever watch, other people think it's garbage, mediocre, waste. And that can be said for any anime.

I still haven't watch this series yet, but I'm bracing myself to be disappointed, because people always overrate things.
Sep 13, 2014 10:09 AM

Jul 2013
OnlyTemporary said:
Brobot said:
both suck
you havent seen either of them troll

fuk off lol

They both do suck though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2014 10:20 AM

Jan 2013
keragamming said:
^ Please stop your bitching now, and stop acting like SSY can't be criticize, I've seen plenty negative reviews of it.

Just as how you think it's one of the best thing you ever watch, other people think it's garbage, mediocre, waste. And that can be said for any anime.

I still haven't watch this series yet, but I'm bracing myself to be disappointed, because people always overrate things.

indeed, over-praise is never good and of course every series has its flaws...I went into attack on titan thinking it would blow my mind. haha. yeah. should've known better
Sep 13, 2014 10:22 AM

May 2012
keragamming said:

You wouldn't like it. SSY has characters, and world building, I know that isn't your taste. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.
Sep 13, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2013
PoeticJustice said:
keragamming said:

You wouldn't like it. SSY has characters, and world building, I know that isn't your taste. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.

Yea, and the 336 anime I've completed doesn't have any of that.
Sep 13, 2014 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:

Admit it, you're just butthurt because you gave Sword Art Online a good rating and OP is dissing an anime you gave a good rating.
To think is the living of the believer. To believe, is to think.
pw: qwertyuiop
Sep 13, 2014 10:34 AM

May 2014
keragamming said:
the only things ive seen people complain about ssy are the homophobes who freak out over the gay kissing and the turds who say their eyes bleed cause they want all anime to have animation as good as redline
Sep 13, 2014 10:37 AM

Oct 2013
Kokororin said:
keragamming said:

Admit it, you're just butthurt because you gave Sword Art Online a good rating and OP is dissing an anime you gave a good rating.

More like annoyed. Butthurt though? Nah. SAO is far from my favorite series. Only a few series would make me get butthurt from people talking shit about it, I think you can guess what the first one is. ;)

@OnlyTemporary
I didn't see anyone criticizing anything like that. I saw the animation it isn't bad at all. Oh, and thnx for the spoiler. ;)
keragammingSep 13, 2014 10:44 AM
Sep 13, 2014 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
and here I though that this is a peaceful thread..
Sep 13, 2014 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
crosx said:
keragamming said:

As much as you don't like the series, you have to remember that their is plenty of people that actually likes the series as well, hence why it's popular. you maybe denying it, but sao will most likely stand the test of time more than ssy, simple because it's a well known series.

ssy, will be remembered but only by a small amount of people. It doesn't have a big impact on the industry. It doesn't seem like a series that will be memorable. It will probably be forever underrated, if it's as good as what people are saying.

Popular anime dies, good anime no.

Then why is DBZ still popular after being completed 20 years ago?
Sep 13, 2014 11:08 AM

May 2014
sullynathan said:
crosx said:

because everyone has a nostalgia boner for it
Sep 13, 2014 11:09 AM

Feb 2010
sullynathan said:
crosx said:

On the one hand because the franchise continuously popped out new movies and stuff since it 'ended' (aka it never actually ended, only the manga did). On the other hand because it's good.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 13, 2014 11:15 AM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:

Worldbuilding is something SSY focused on, is what he/she meant. We rarely get shows that do that.

OnlyTemporary said:
keragamming said:
the only things ive seen people complain about ssy are the homophobes who freak out over the gay kissing and the turds who say their eyes bleed cause they want all anime to have animation as good as redline

yeah seriously. and these few things
"ew pretentious"
"so overrated"
"i dont care for the characters"
and of course, lets not forget "too much gay"
I really want to see a legit unbiased negative review.
Sep 13, 2014 11:17 AM

Oct 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
sullynathan said:

On the one hand because the franchise continuously popped out new movies and stuff since it 'ended' (aka it never actually ended, only the manga did). On the other hand because it's good.

But here on mal, it seems a lot of people think dbz is garbage. It gets no respect here. To be expected though.
keragammingSep 13, 2014 11:22 AM
Sep 13, 2014 11:20 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 11:21 AM

Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:

Worldbuilding is something SSY focused on, is what he/she meant. We rarely get shows that do that.

He she also included characters. -_- Anyways bullshit to that, There is plenty of shows that focuses on world building, please stop overrating this series.
Sep 13, 2014 11:23 AM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:
He she also included characters. -_- Anyways bullshit to that, There is plenty of shows with world building, please stop overrating this series.

Please name some that do it well. I need to watch more ;; I'm not overrating it, but it was more focused on the worldbuilding which is surprising because it was adapted from a novel. The only other show I've seen that did worldbuilding well was Sidonia no Kishi which you also dislike. lol
Characters...SSY had a strong female lead which is what made it good.
Sep 13, 2014 11:26 AM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:
He she also included characters. -_- Anyways bullshit to that, There is plenty of shows with world building, please stop overrating this series.

Please name some that do it well. I need to watch more ;; I'm not overrating it, but it was more focused on the worldbuilding which is surprising because it was adapted from a novel. The only other show I've seen that did worldbuilding well was Sidonia no Kishi which you also dislike. lol

Kemono Shoja erin
Sep 13, 2014 11:28 AM

Jul 2012
^ I'm watching that currently (or at least going to finish it in the future).
Sep 13, 2014 11:38 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 11:41 AM

Oct 2009
People praise it for its focus on "world building", plot and characters - I'll give it that. It does spend a lot of time building atmosphere, is driven by its characters, and defined by its plot.

The problems are, however, that all 3 aspects range from mediocre to garbage. The world is not only lackluster and based on sub par premises as far as dystopian societies go, but also lame as hell; the characters just a bunch of spoiled kids who happen upon certain events and served mainly as plot devices; and the plot is mediocre, forced, unfocused, and full of holes.

In the end you are left with a bad sci-fi that tries to be powerful but is really just bland and obscure in terms of premises.
Sep 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 2012
@san_sevieria:
Oh yes, I've read that before. Looks like the reviewer didn't have the patience to watch it tbh What I liked was the subtly of the show. If you watched it and caught onto all the little bits and pieces (foreshadowing), then the end result would be much more fulfilling as it does make sense and everything's pieced together. The lack of explanation is what made it better.

RandomChampion said:
People praise it for its focus on "world building", plot and characters - I'll give it that. It does spend a lot of time building atmosphere, is driven by its characters, and defined by its plot.

The problems are, however, that all 3 aspects range from mediocre to garbage. The world is not only lackluster and based on sub par premises as far as dystopian societies go, but also lame as hell; the characters just a bunch of spoiled kids who happen upon certain events and served mainly as plot devices; and the plot is mediocre, forced, unfocused, and full of holes.

In the end you are left with a bad sci-fi that tries to be powerful but is really just bland and obscure in terms of premises.

idk man, I've read a fair amount of dystopian novels before watching SSY and it really outdid itself. I see you have high expectations for an anime, but is 2/10 really a suitable rating for SSY or is it just hate? I agree that some of the characters were plot devices but it was used to drive it forward. The plot is not unfocused or forced. It's subtle and written well. I felt as if it was intentionally "unfocused" as in for first time viewers, we wouldn't be able to find the clear ending or goal of it but everything was laid out so that it seamed together in the end.
Sep 13, 2014 11:48 AM

Mar 2014
OnlyTemporary said:
sullynathan said:

because everyone has a nostalgia boner for it

I call bs on that. Nostalgia aside DBZ is popular enough to open in US Theatre's. Even a decade after the movies and DBGT.
Sep 13, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is arguably better than shinsekai Yori in every way and it has a strong female lead.
Sep 13, 2014 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
I've watched half of that and am planning on continuing but I don't see world building as a main focus there. Even Psycho Pass does it better. Reason I compare the two, is that they get compared often and are in the same genre.

Idk about strong female lead. I honestly can't focus on her because of her outfit. I can't help but think she's walking fanservice -.-
Sep 13, 2014 11:56 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2009
mayukachan said:
idk man, I've read a fair amount of dystopian novels before watching SSY and it really outdid itself. I see you have high expectations for an anime, but is 2/10 really a suitable rating for SSY or is it just hate? I agree that some of the characters were plot devices but it was used to drive it forward. The plot is not unfocused or forced. It's subtle and written well.

I have high expectations? The average for my completed anime is 7.5 or something lol

"or is it just hate" - why would I "just hate" something, as opposed to giving it a score I thought it deserved?

In fact, I watched the entire thing instead of dropping it, in case I was missing out on some profound ending (since it got high reviews everywhere).

I guess you call it subtle, I call it shallow lol
Sep 13, 2014 11:58 AM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
I've watched half of that and am planning on continuing but I don't see world building as a main focus there. Even Psycho Pass does it better. Reason I compare the two, is that they get compared often and are in the same genre.

Idk about strong female lead. I honestly can't focus on her because of her outfit. I can't help but think she's walking fanservice -.-

Are you talking about Ghost in the shell? It's true that stand alone complex doesn't focus on world building but that's because it's set in the real world.
Motoko has big boobs but it isn't distracting to me and her suit is practical. I never thought that fanservice was bad in Ghost in the shell because they're cyborgs.
Sep 13, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2012
RandomChampion said:

Did you catch all of the dialogues at the beginning that were hinting to the ending?

If you didn't, I understand why you would call it shallow.

And your average is 5.9 in the mutual shows we have lol

2/10 means like ultimate shit so idk how that matches your criticism.

sullynathan said:
Motoko has big boobs but it isn't distracting to me and her suit is practical. I never thought that fanservice was bad in Ghost in the shell because they're cyborgs.

idk, as a girl, I feel like it's too intentional and it kind of breaks the seriousness of the show. She can do better without that outfit.
but we're getting offtopic oops
Sep 13, 2014 12:07 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2009
mayukachan said:
RandomChampion said:

Did you catch all of the dialogues at the beginning that were hinting to the ending?

If you didn't, I understand why you would call it shallow.

And your average is 5.9 in the mutual shows we have lol

2/10 means like ultimate shit so idk how that matches your criticism.

sullynathan said:

idk, as a girl, I feel like it's too intentional and it kind of breaks the seriousness of the show. She can do better without that outfit.
but we're getting offtopic oops

I did catch some foreshadowing, probably not all of it since i was bored lol....but does that make a good plot?

Can I write any story I want, and as long as I include some well-placed foreshadowing it will make my work have a strong plot?

2/10 is near ultimate shit for me lol - the thing is this 26-episode-long show basically did nothing of significance well....leading to an ultimate boring experience that just drags on and on. Did not capture my interest, there was nothing profound about it, there was no powerful ending - nothing. It was like a generic Miyazaki movie on steriods

that's why i'd rather watch SAO if i had to choose either to watch again, even though that's whack too.
Sep 13, 2014 12:18 PM

Jul 2012
No, I'm not saying just foreshadowing makes it good. Obviously you won't agree with me because you hate it, but the main reason why I enjoyed it was that it made me feel like I finished a puzzle by the end of the show. Like it was complete and everything made sense. The idea of having
made it stuck out for me and the ideas/themes that were put into it as a whole.

Like san_sevieria said, you just don't have the mindset or attention span for the show. And hey, that's not bad. I didn't have the attention span for good shows like Mushishi or Natsume Yuujinchou either.
Sep 13, 2014 12:19 PM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:13 PM
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

7 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

50 by luckyrune »»
5 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 16 minutes ago

1 by rohan121 »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 40 minutes ago

5 by delirific »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.