Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 7, 2014 8:05 PM

Aug 2008
Baddie007 said:
Sheees, a filler episode with some rocket science in it.

It definitely feel like a filler. We got repeated scene where characters keep on talking how the competition is being targeted

-Tatsuya tell Erika and Leo that the competition every year is being target
-Toshi having dinner with Kyoko where they talk about the competition being target
-Kyoko meeting with Tatsuya and tell him the competition is being target
-Jumanji and Hanzo,again having conversation to tell us the competition is being target

We got four pointless filler scene. I don't mind if they keep it short but this shows just like to drag all the talk as lengthy as possible. It's all over the place.

Another scene that annoy me is where Suzune tell Chiaki that Gary Stu is ahead of everyone....as if we didn't know that already
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 7, 2014 11:07 PM

Mar 2010
b1GZZ said:
Ahahahah I just laughed so hard when that girl told Chiaki that she could surpass Tatsuya...

batossai said:
hella boring i almost fell asleep.

Wut?! Seriously? I thought it was amazing tho. Am I the only one here that likes "information flow" in anime? It's one of the best parts to enjoy, at least for myself. This "information flow", the story and the actions scenes are really worth watching, I think it's amazing. Well, I guess that most of the people like more the action part than the story itself but that's just how different every taste is.

I just love how much information this story needs to support the main plot, it's just too perfect.
Amazing episode as always. Predicting epic scenes in the next episode! =D

dunno it felt like a bunch of pseudo-science filler to me, and it didnt really explain the motivation of the antagonist. i know the antagonists want to steal information and the relic, but they could be fleshed alot more.
Sep 7, 2014 11:42 PM

Aug 2008
batossai said:

dunno it felt like a bunch of pseudo-science filler to me, and it didnt really explain the motivation of the antagonist. i know the antagonists want to steal information and the relic, but they could be fleshed alot more.

Speaking about pseudo-science filler, the pseudo-science filler might impress and fool scientifically unintelligent people with all those fancy terminology.Some might think they are now scientifically intelligent just because they watch anime with science infodumps but in real life,they are still not a smart person. This show basically a fanfiction anyway. However, as an engineer who have been expose with science,physics and mathematics,when all those pseudo-science filler being throw to the audience,I feel like I am reading a downgrade version of my textbook and listening to a downgrade version of lecturer. So boring and uninspiring.
ZapredonSep 8, 2014 12:48 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 8, 2014 1:33 AM

May 2013
Zapredon said:
Speaking about pseudo-science filler, the pseudo-science filler might impress and fool scientifically unintelligent people with all those fancy terminology.Some might think they are now scientifically intelligent just because they watch anime with science infodumps but in real life,they are still not a smart person. This show basically a fanfiction anyway. However, as an engineer who have been expose with science,physics and mathematics,when all those pseudo-science filler being throw to the audience,I feel like I am reading a downgrade version of my textbook and listening to a downgrade version of lecturer. So boring and uninspiring.

Because it isn't show for engineers, but teenagers. IMO info-dump in Mahouka is the best part of show (and, aside from audio-visual, the only good one).
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Sep 8, 2014 1:41 AM

Apr 2009
Zapredon said:
batossai said:

Obviously. It's like the people who think that PsychoPass or Ergo Proxy are smart for the same reason. Meanwhile, actually intelligent/smart series like Texhnolyze or Ghost in the Shell (or even Hunter x Hunter in a more trivial sense) manage their infodumps way better because there is actual content and vision behind it to *work* with abstract concepts, scientific theories, etc. within the show instead of just farting them at the viewer in the hopes that he thinks he just listened to something incredibly smart instead of just wasting minutes on (for its field) well-known and most of the time redundant information told in a contrived manner.

PS: That doesn't mean PP or EP are bad, they are just pretentious at times. That's ok. Still 100 times better than Mahouka.
NidhoeggrSep 8, 2014 1:47 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Sep 8, 2014 2:23 AM
Jun 2014
Zapredon said:
batossai said:

Nidhoeggr said:
Zapredon said:

Obviously. It's like the people who think that PsychoPass or Ergo Proxy are smart for the same reason. Meanwhile, actually intelligent/smart series like Texhnolyze or Ghost in the Shell (or even Hunter x Hunter in a more trivial sense) manage their infodumps way better because there is actual content and vision behind it to *work* with abstract concepts, scientific theories, etc. within the show instead of just farting them at the viewer in the hopes that he thinks he just listened to something incredibly smart instead of just wasting minutes on (for its field) well-known and most of the time redundant information told in a contrived manner.

PS: That doesn't mean PP or EP are bad, they are just pretentious at times. That's ok. Still 100 times better than Mahouka.

It's funny how you guys want to talk big, when you need to think about this. Mahouka isn't an anime that's meant for being intelligent or whatsoever. It's trying to tell us how our logic works in a fictional world of Mahouka, so there's no need to feel smart or whatoever when you watch Mahouka... The fact that you guys want to sound smart is something I personally am questioning how you guys are in the real world... Especially you Zapredon :)

There's only one thing I agree with this whole comment and that is the bolded part. The way they handle with info dumps in Mahouka is not the best way to handle it for those people that don't really care about these stuffs.
Sep 8, 2014 2:37 AM

Apr 2009
It's not about wanting to think or something similar, it's about organic writing. Do you know what good authors do? They do their damn research!
What is good research? Well, it's asking actual scientists or people who are knowledgeable on their respective field and incorporating this into your work. That is not to say you cannot be unrealistic when you write fiction, but it should follow internal and - in least when you change specific scientific theories to your liking - external coherence as well.

Take the so called genius kids, for example. Tatsuya seems to be one of these, same for Sora in NGNl and Johann in Monster. What is the difference between Johann and the rest, you ask? Well, if someone is THIS much above his peers at such a young age there are usually reasons for it. Be it a rare genetic anomaly or a specific upbringing. Johann can be so manipualtive and out of this world because Urasawa knew that he had to give him a fitting backstory to make him not seem like a ridiculously contrived character. So he created one, that - just like organic storytelling works most of the time - created several other necessities for his story to work and also gave him a weakness, potential characters that could rival him should the author need them, etc. That's good storytelling.

Here, the author just throws tons of theories he just found interesting into his story, not even caring about the implications just to make his main character is overpowered as possible. The coherence just isn't there, it is a mess. All of these infodumps amount to nothing because in the end they are either really long descriptions on what can be basically summarized as "This is a magic missile/shield/projectile/fireball and it is strong" or other really basic and trivial concepts that are common knowledge. Yeah, I know... "magic is science hurr"... Well, if magic is science than it should have a lot more implications than the ones we are shown here! In the end, it is just needlessly drawnout bullshit that was put in it so a few teenagers and otaku can think this is really special instead of just another generic fantasy harem series with an overpowered protagonist and an imouto that wants the d. That's not good storytelling.

PS:
I study politics.
Yes, there are some political issues tackled in this show. No, they are not well-handed. The writing is inherently racist, national-conservative, backwards, sexist and almost puritanical at times and I think you (This is an unspecific you, btw) are a horrible person for liking this. And no, I will not discuss it here because MAL is not the place to discuss actual political theories with a bunch of weeaboos who will not get it anyway.
NidhoeggrSep 8, 2014 6:19 AM
Sep 8, 2014 2:55 AM
Jun 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
It's not about wanting to think or something similar, it's about organic writing. Do you know what good authors do? They do their damn research!
What is good research? Well, it's asking actual scientists or people who are knowledgeable on their respective field and incorporating this into your work. That is not to say you cannot be unrealistic when you write fiction, but it should follow internal and - in least when you change specific scientific theories to your liking - external coherence as well.

Take the so called genius kids, for example. Tatsuya seems to be one of these, same for Sora in NGNl and Johann in Monster. What is the difference between Johann and the rest, you ask? Well, if someone is THIS much above his peers at such a young age there are usually reasons for it. Be it a rare genetic anomaly or a specific upbringing. Johann can be so manipualtive and out of this world because Urasawa knew that he had to give him a fitting backstory to make him not seem like a ridiculously contrived character. So he created one, that - just like organic storytelling works most of the time - created several other necessities for his story to work and also gave him a weakness, potential characters that could rival him should the author need them, etc. That's good storytelling.

Here, the author just throws tons of theories he just found interesting into his story, not even caring about the implications just to make his main character is overpowered as possible. The coherence just isn't there, it is a mess. All of these infodumps amount to nothing int he end because in the end they are either really long descriptions on what can be basically summarized as "This is a magic missile/shield/projectile/fireball and it is strong". Yeah, I know... "magic is science hurr"... Well, if magic is science than it should have a lot more implications than the ones we are shown here! In the end, it is just needlessly drawnout bullshit that was put in it so a few teenagers and otaku can think this is really special instead of just another generic fantasy harem series with an overpowered protagonist and an imouto that wants the d. That's not good storytelling.

Well I'm not the guy who will go in with this. I won't try(because I already will know the outcome) to explain what is good or bad storytelling in my opinion. Basicly, you don't like the storytelling of Mahouka and will never like it. Everyone's different and my opinion isn't everyone's opinion and the reason why I won't try to convince you if your explanation is right or wrong from my perspective. I respect everyone's opinion, aslong if they've a valid reason to explain it. I only wrote my previous comment, because both of you sounded all high and mighty, which was really funny to read, while being ridiculous to call out names for no real reason. Especially that other user Zapredon.
Sep 8, 2014 2:59 AM

Apr 2008
TKMike said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Here, the author just throws tons of theories he just found interesting into his story, not even caring about the implications just to make his main character is overpowered as possible. The coherence just isn't there, it is a mess. All of these infodumps amount to nothing int he end because in the end they are either really long descriptions on what can be basically summarized as "This is a magic missile/shield/projectile/fireball and it is strong". Yeah, I know... "magic is science hurr"... Well, if magic is science than it should have a lot more implications than the ones we are shown here! In the end, it is just needlessly drawnout bullshit that was put in it so a few teenagers and otaku can think this is really special instead of just another generic fantasy harem series with an overpowered protagonist and an imouto that wants the d. That's not good storytelling.

Well I'm not the guy who will go in with this. I won't try(because I already will know the outcome) to explain what is good or bad storytelling in my opinion. Basicly, you don't like the storytelling of Mahouka and will never like it. Everyone's different and my opinion isn't everyone's opinion and the reason why I won't try to convince you if your explanation is right or wrong from my perspective. I respect everyone's opinion, aslong if they've a valid reason to explain it. I only wrote my previous comment, because both of you sounded all high and mighty, which was really funny to read, while being ridiculous to call out names for no real reason. Especially that other user Zapredon.

Don't waste your breath. That person is always like that. Just ignore them
Sep 8, 2014 3:14 AM
Jun 2014
Nidhoeggr said:

PS:
I study politics.
Yes, there are some political issues tackled in this show. No, they are not well-handed. The writing is inherently racist, national-conservative, backwards, sexist and almost puritanical at times and I think you (This is an unspecific you, btw) are a horrible person for liking this. And no, I will not discuss it here because MAL is not the place to discuss actual political theories with a bunch of weeaboos who will not get it anyway.

Nice to know that. Now I know that I can't take you serious at all like Zapredon and another user that he already knows himself well enough(atleast I hope so, since I've stated it already multiple times too:p)

Darklight0303 said:

Don't waste your breath. That person is always like that. Just ignore them

Yeah, I will follow your advice.
Sep 8, 2014 5:00 AM

Aug 2008
Nidhoeggr said:

Yea, exactly. All those infodump are unnecessary. So if let just say Mahouka is not trying to be intelligence, then what are those infodumps for? Nothing but a waste of time. I can only imagine infodump is there just to make the show look smart. If you want to tell us how logic work in Mahouka,then you can do it in more interesting way. Hey,even Naruto explanation on how Jutsu and Chakra work are better than Mahouka. Not to mention Naruto don't neglect plot for infodump while Mahouka on the other hand allow infodump all over the place.Unfortunately,all those info dump in Mahouka just make things boring which is why many people in the other thread,such as CLBGM said Mahouka is boring but some people just don't get it and accuse him of trolling. If the infodump is to explain how logic works,it make things more boring. If it try to make Mahouka look smart,then as engineer,the pseudo science filler certainly uninspiring and sound like a joke. Whichever the case those infodump are for,it fail miserably.

ZapredonSep 8, 2014 5:44 AM

Sep 8, 2014 5:24 AM

Aug 2008
jakkubus said:

Because it isn't show for engineers, but teenagers.

Too deep for engineer,but somehow not for teenagers these days.

It just a matter of time for teen empowerment in our world.
ZapredonSep 8, 2014 5:46 AM

Sep 8, 2014 6:11 AM

Apr 2009
Zapredon said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Yea, exactly. All those infodump are unnecessary. So if let just say Mahouka is not trying to be intelligence, then what are those infodumps for? Nothing but a waste of time. I can only imagine infodump is there just to make the show look smart. If you want to tell us how logic work in Mahouka,then you can do it in more interesting way. Hey,even Naruto explanation on how Jutsu and Chakra work are better than Mahouka. Not to mention Naruto don't neglect plot for infodump while Mahouka on the other hand allow infodump all over the place.Unfortunately,all those info dump in Mahouka just make things boring which is why many people in the other thread,such as CLBGM said Mahouka is boring but some people just don't get it and accuse him of trolling. If the infodump is to explain how logic works,it make things more boring. If it try to make Mahouka look smart,then as engineer,the pseudo science filler certainly uninspiring and sound like a joke. Whichever the case those infodump are for,it fail miserably.

Yet, every Mahouka episode is like this:

Store clerk: “3000 JPY pleas… What, you're giving me 10000 JPY!? Why?!“

Customer: “What, you don't know? I'll explain it. When paying at the cash register, when presented with a bill whose value is larger than the amount needed, the store side of the transaction needs to prepare the « difference » between that and the price of the merchandise I'm « Buying ». In technical jargon, this is called « change ».”

Back then when the earliest forms of trading surfaced, humanity solely relied on « barter » to exchange goods. With « barter », an individual possessing any surplus of value, such as a measure of grain or a quantity of livestock could directly exchange that for something perceived to have similar or greater value or utility, such as a clay pot or a tool. The capacity to carry out barter transactions is limited in that it depends on a coincidence of wants.

“Normal students usually only use 1000 JPY or 5000 JPY bills, so it's pretty normal for you to be surprised if I present you with a 10000 JPY bill all of a sudden.”

Store clerk: "Ugh... I lost..."
Other customer: "He's a genius..."
Other customer 2: "Wonderful!"
Imouto: "NII-SAMA SUBARASHIIII~"
Other female character: "SUGOI~"

Pretty damn deep - not pretentious, drawnout and dumb at all! We just do not "get" the concept and theory presented to us here, you see... all we want is action and fanservice. We just cannot comprehend the amazing storytelling in this show.

PS:
Sure, TKMike. Go ahead, I take people who defend the writing in this not seriously anyway.
NidhoeggrSep 8, 2014 6:25 AM
Sep 8, 2014 8:02 AM
Feb 2014
Huh, I nvr thought dis would escalate this bad.

If you keep saying these things, I'm gonna have to inform you of a phrase:world-building.

Basically, what the author here is trying to demonstrate what Mahouka's universe is all about: sci-fi with a new take on magic. Basically the whole scene is meant to show the applications of the magic-system on the world and adds more depth to the world itself, which is what an actual sci-fi is supposed to do.(BTW, I checked with some ppl and they confirmed the stuff could work that way.)

And Zapredon? The article you linked to is pure, total garbage. The fact is, Mahouka does not discriminate against any race in general (shown in Visitors arc). In fact, the politics work just fine(I also study politics). The fact is, Japan can only be attacked by neighbourhooding China, as it is a island nation and the nearest country is either Korea or China and both are under the GAA. Any other country would require a huge amt of resources just to mount such an operation and would not justify the benefits reaped (unless its a full-scale invasion). Also, Japan has been under a ceasefire only with the GAA, and ceasefires can be easily broken without political backlash.
I spent my time here nowadays: [url=forums.spacebattles.com]Spacebattles Forums[/url]

Its been a while since I came to MAL. Ignore my old posts please, they were dumb.
Sep 8, 2014 8:08 AM

Aug 2008
MagicianX26 said:

The fact is, Japan can only be attacked by neighbourhooding China, as it is a island nation and the nearest country is either Korea or China and both are under the GAA.

In Code Geass,Britanian which is so far away from Japan attack Japan.

Sep 8, 2014 8:12 AM
Jun 2014
Zapredon said:
MagicianX26 said:

The fact is, Japan can only be attacked by neighbourhooding China, as it is a island nation and the nearest country is either Korea or China and both are under the GAA.

Well no shit, since it was basicly the world vs Britania....... And the Britanian only attacked everyone as far as I can remember.....
Sep 8, 2014 9:12 AM
Oct 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Zapredon said:

Customer: “What, you don't know? I'll explain it. When paying at the cash register, when presented with a bill whose value is larger than the amount needed, the store side of the transaction needs to prepare the « difference » between that and the price of the merchandise I'm « Buying ». In technical jargon, this is called « change ».”

Back then when the earliest forms of trading surfaced, humanity solely relied on « barter » to exchange goods. With « barter », an individual possessing any surplus of value, such as a measure of grain or a quantity of livestock could directly exchange that for something perceived to have similar or greater value or utility, such as a clay pot or a tool. The capacity to carry out barter transactions is limited in that it depends on a coincidence of wants.

“Normal students usually only use 1000 JPY or 5000 JPY bills, so it's pretty normal for you to be surprised if I present you with a 10000 JPY bill all of a sudden.”

Pretty damn deep - not pretentious, drawnout and dumb at all! We just do not "get" the concept and theory presented to us here, you see... all we want is action and fanservice. We just cannot comprehend the amazing storytelling in this show.

PS:
Sure, TKMike. Go ahead, I take people who defend the writing in this not seriously anyway.

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT?????? GUAHHH....SO SMART!!! BRILLIANT!!!!

You just describe every freaking fiction in the world.

All well, for me, it's just that the infodump and technobable in Mahouka is interesting because...well it's different from those that we have seen, like for example Negima, Bleach...etc....

You should be surprised that how many people actually understand this kind of stuffs.

Like the STANDARD MODEL in Physics.

Yes, note the word "MODEL"', the Standard MODEL is just a theory and model aim to explain physical properties in the universe, one day perhaps a better MODEL will surface to better explain things.

All the "science-magic" things in Mahouka (Psion, CAD...etc...) is also just a MODEL that the author builds along with the settings he thinks that would make a interesting story.

oh well, in the end, people enjoy it because it is JUST INTERESTING to read, NOT because they feel smart doing it. Just like games, people play because it is FUN, not because it is fashionable or anything

One last thing, for the "Stu" that many have been accusing Mahouka for. Well, it can't be helped if you feel that way, because the ANIME is just that. For me and many who actually enjoy the series, the simply way describe Mahouka is that it is a "WHAT IF" story and settings.

Unlike many series out there in which the MC needs to gain strength to do anything, here we have a protagonist whose power is not the issue, and he even processes great intellect. But then, WHAT WOULD HE DO? Ruling the world? Destroying the world?

This is not One Piece where the strongest man (or former strongest a.k.a Whitebeard) roamed free in the open sea, there are many restrictions that Tatsuya has to put up with, and it is INTERESTING to see how he deals with those.

Haizzz, well, today I just feel a bit high so....LOL
Sep 8, 2014 10:05 AM

May 2013
UltraZulwarn said:
All well, for me, it's just that the infodump and technobable in Mahouka is interesting because...well it's different from those that we have seen, like for example Negima, Bleach...etc....

Same here. Almost everything else in this show sucks.

Unlike many series out there in which the MC needs to gain strength to do anything, here we have a protagonist whose power is not the issue, and he even processes great intellect. But then, WHAT WOULD HE DO? Ruling the world? Destroying the world?

Nope, just spoil rich brats and develop new cutting-edge technology in free time after school.
Sep 8, 2014 10:42 AM

Nov 2012
This episode was meh.......
Ending was a bit promising, hopefully next episode there will be some action.....
Sep 8, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2008
jose21 said:
Ending was a bit promising, hopefully next episode there will be some action.....

Oh you have no idea
Sep 8, 2014 10:52 AM

May 2013
Darklight0303 said:
jose21 said:

Oh you have no idea

Are you saying that it wont be like always? I mean, bad guys suddenly appear and then even more suddenly Tatsuya wipes floor with their faces and everything goes on like nothing happened. Will it be different this time?
Sep 8, 2014 10:58 AM

Apr 2008
jakkubus said:
Darklight0303 said:

Oh you have no idea

Are you saying that it wont be like always? I mean, bad guys suddenly appear and then even more suddenly Tatsuya wipes floor with their faces and everything goes on like nothing happened. Will it be different this time?

I am saying there will be plenty of action just as the poster wanted. Stop trying to start shit every time someone says something good about the show. It's really fuckin annoying
Sep 8, 2014 11:05 AM

Nov 2012
jakkubus said:
Darklight0303 said:

Oh you have no idea

Well, that happens on pretty much every anime. I wish the bad guys would win for once, but that's how it is, at least they save you from the usual animes where suddenly after all hope is lost and after watching the MC cry like a bitch, he gets stronger out of nowhere and beats the bad guys.
Anyway, I admit it is getting a bit boring, but I'll continue watching cause I'll never lose hope and keep rooting for Tatsuya X Mayumi. I am aware that is very unlikely, but just let me dream.
Sep 8, 2014 11:20 AM
Jun 2014
jose21 said:

Well, that happens on pretty much every anime. I wish the bad guys would win for once, but that's how it is, at least they save you from the usual animes where suddenly after all hope is lost and after watching the MC cry like a bitch, he gets stronger out of nowhere and beats the bad guys.
Anyway, I admit it is getting a bit boring, but I'll continue watching cause I'll never lose hope and keep rooting for Tatsuya X Mayumi. I am aware that is very unlikely, but just let me dream.

hahaha love your bolded partXD

Abouy Tatsuya x Mayumi, I personally think the chance of that will happen is higher then you think compared with the other girls :o Heard from LN readers that Tatsuya may have a feeling for MayumiXD There's also an interesting part in the LN between Tatsuya and Mayumi, when I started reading the LN this week and there was an interesting part that the anime apparently skipped between those two:)
Sep 8, 2014 4:46 PM

Aug 2008
jose21 said:

It certainly sound promising,warship is coming...but I have a feeling Tatsuya is just going to fart in the warship direction and sink the damn thing.

What I fear most is that in the middle of action,we got another boring infodump yet again. Hopefully,I was wrong.

Nidhoeggr said:
Zapredon said:

LOL! Good one. I don't think info dump is that hard to understand but it just boring.
I watch an anime for the plot/storyline not explanation on how magic in Mahouka or jutsu in Naruto work.

We want a plot/storyline(a good one of course). If they really want to give infodump,they should make a short special at the end of the episode explaining how this magic work. It's a big mistake doing it in the middle of the show.

jakkubus said:

Guys, are you watching something else beside Naruto-like animes or harems?

That's the impression I've been getting as well. If you only watch Naruto-like anime,then Tatsuya will appeal to you since he's different from most generic action battle shounen male lead but in reality,he's not that original or special. I think Inaho from Aldnoah Zero might also appeal to same type of audience who like Tatsuya. I could be wrong though.
ZapredonSep 9, 2014 12:23 AM

Sep 8, 2014 11:16 PM
Sep 2014
3 remaining ep will be epic! material burst & cocytus x2!! haha
plus i hope madhouse animating the part wen mayumi stick out her tounge on tatsuya she was like : P so cute
Sep 9, 2014 12:58 AM
Sep 2014
jose21 said:

not some actions dear, but rather full of action tht will giv you chills *__*
Sep 9, 2014 1:03 AM

Aug 2008
LMorgana said:
jose21 said:

Any lengthy infodumps/explanation on magic?

Please tell me the presentation is the last one for now.

Sep 9, 2014 1:20 AM

Apr 2008
Zapredon said:
LMorgana said:

Any lengthy infodumps/explanation on magic?

Please tell me the presentation is the last one for now.

Given the anime hasn't really featured that much of the novel's inner monologues or the side narration of how things are done, I doubt it
Sep 9, 2014 3:06 AM

May 2013
LMorgana said:
jose21 said:

So there will be action like in 16 ep? Not rapidly broken off after a moment?
Sep 9, 2014 8:50 AM

Dec 2013
The anime did it's job in that it got me interested enough to pick up the Novel. After reading through the first two arcs, I've come to the conclusion that I would really love to have a second season to see how things go after this one. Does that make any sense?

Oh, and one question about the story thus far, can someone explain to me what the purpose of Fujibayashi's meeting with Haruka-sensei was? Of all the scenes preparing for the invasion of Yokohama that's expected to come, that particular scene stuck out like a sore thumb. I just didn't understand why one would even bother warning the other about boundaries. So was Haruka trying to uncover Tatsuya's secret identity or something? Why warn her now? Why not like since the beginning of the first arc?

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the next three episodes, and hoping there'll be a second season (the stuff that comes afterwards seems so much more interesting than what we saw in the previous arcs).
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 9, 2014 11:01 AM

Apr 2008
L-Ryoshi said:
The anime did it's job in that it got me interested enough to pick up the Novel. After reading through the first two arcs, I've come to the conclusion that I would really love to have a second season to see how things go after this one. Does that make any sense?

Oh, and one question about the story thus far, can someone explain to me what the purpose of Fujibayashi's meeting with Haruka-sensei was? Of all the scenes preparing for the invasion of Yokohama that's expected to come, that particular scene stuck out like a sore thumb. I just didn't understand why one would even bother warning the other about boundaries. So was Haruka trying to uncover Tatsuya's secret identity or something? Why warn her now? Why not like since the beginning of the first arc?

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the next three episodes, and hoping there'll be a second season (the stuff that comes afterwards seems so much more interesting than what we saw in the previous arcs).

Yes Haruka was sniffing around Tatsuya and Miyuki and given his position both in the military and as a Yotsuba, she got off lightly with just that warning
Sep 9, 2014 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
I don't really understand about their presentation....Gravity type...what? I don't even remember its name. It'd be nice if someone can explain it on simple term for me....or maybe not. Either way I think it's not too relevant with the plot of the story so be it.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Sep 9, 2014 11:33 AM

Apr 2008
tiya_n said:
I don't really understand about their presentation....Gravity type...what? I don't even remember its name. It'd be nice if someone can explain it on simple term for me....or maybe not. Either way I think it's not too relevant with the plot of the story so be it.

You'd be surprised
Sep 9, 2014 12:04 PM
Oct 2013
Darklight0303 said:
tiya_n said:

You'd be surprised

id have to look back but isn't it Cold Fusion in a nutshell
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Sep 9, 2014 2:54 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: Removed off-topic argument. Please comment on the episode and the series, not other participants in the forum.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 9, 2014 5:32 PM
Jul 2011
So to Tatsuya, Leonhart always being with Erika while schooltime is natural to him.
While Erika brushes off as just a mere training, she is really supporting Mikihiko and Mizuki to be close together.
To think Erika is not even considering pursuing forward her own love because she does not have one yet, but pushing others into loving.

But really, what did Kirihara or Hattori was it, who mentioned that there are too many foreigners in the building.
Isn't that just too much to be suspicous about, after all Thesis Competition is about, I forgot, but I think many foreigners would be interested in it because it involves magic combined with science.
It is more than alright to be suspicous, but this bad feeling I'm having, the meaning of what he said when there are too many foreigners.
I can't help but think of the word isolation.
I"m just overthinking though.
Sep 9, 2014 6:13 PM
Oct 2013
rladls717 said:
So to Tatsuya, Leonhart always being with Erika while schooltime is natural to him.
While Erika brushes off as just a mere training, she is really supporting Mikihiko and Mizuki to be close together.
To think Erika is not even considering pursuing forward her own love because she does not have one yet, but pushing others into loving.

But really, what did Kirihara or Hattori was it, who mentioned that there are too many foreigners in the building.
Isn't that just too much to be suspicous about, after all Thesis Competition is about, I forgot, but I think many foreigners would be interested in it because it involves magic combined with science.
It is more than alright to be suspicous, but this bad feeling I'm having, the meaning of what he said when there are too many foreigners.
I can't help but think of the word isolation.
I"m just overthinking though.

the foreigner question/comment: Yes people from other countries would come to this but from past experience its ok see 3 ppl from USNA (as an example) but what they were seeing was 30 ppl from USNA which is highly irregular. There not saying that having visitors from another country was odd it was the number of them that was. Oh and even if its a "scientific" community gathering all magic research is still a national pride/security issue so the JSF are highly suspicious of foreigners at this function.
“How strange and foolish is man. He loses his health in gaining wealth. Then, to regain his health he wastes his wealth. He ruins his present while worrying about his future, but weeps in the future by recalling his past. He lives as though death shall never come to him, but dies in a way as if he were never born”
― Imam Ali as
Sep 9, 2014 7:35 PM

Mar 2010
TKMike said:
Zapredon said:

Nidhoeggr said:

It's funny how you guys want to talk big, when you need to think about this. Mahouka isn't an anime that's meant for being intelligent or whatsoever. It's trying to tell us how our logic works in a fictional world of Mahouka, so there's no need to feel smart or whatoever when you watch Mahouka... The fact that you guys want to sound smart is something I personally am questioning how you guys are in the real world... Especially you Zapredon :)

There's only one thing I agree with this whole comment and that is the bolded part. The way they handle with info dumps in Mahouka is not the best way to handle it for those people that don't really care about these stuffs.

Then it shouldnt try to be intelligent, all that "explaining" is just filler. They slap on some scientific terminology to waste time. hence it being a pseudo-science filler. i wouldn't even call it an "infodump" because it would have made as much sense if it was pure gibberish.
Sep 9, 2014 9:17 PM

May 2014
darkreaperix said:
Zapredon said:

So if Britannia was the one that attacked Japan in Mahouka and not the GAA (i.e China) you will have no problem???????? :heh hahahahahahahahahaha.Anyway almost all races have good or bad people here.No one was actually qualified to be really evil.They just did things that they seem to be good for their country.Or for revenge,which I don't see as that bad,even other anime's has the MC's revenge as the focal point of the story :)

@battosai It isn't really filler as the author tried to explain every magic and tech that the series has shown so far.So no one complains about ass pull power ups or WTF was that magic :)
Sep 9, 2014 11:53 PM
Oct 2013
darkreaperix said:
darkreaperix said:

So if Britannia was the one that attacked Japan in Mahouka and not the GAA (i.e China) you will have no problem???????? :heh hahahahahahahahahaha.Anyway almost all races have good or bad people here.No one was actually qualified to be really evil.They just did things that they seem to be good for their country.Or for revenge,which I don't see as that bad,even other anime's has the MC's revenge as the focal point of the story :)

@battosai It isn't really filler as the author tried to explain every magic and tech that the series has shown so far.So no one complains about ass pull power ups or WTF was that magic :)

Ya'll do realize that in CG the Holy Britianian Empire is located in the Americas and not Europe right? and ofc in that anime universe the level of technological difference of the subjection of Area 11 was 3 generations atleast whereas in MKR the difference in tech between Japan and GAA is one generation.

be that as it may your comparing apples to oranges here and you cant make a 1 to 1 conversion.
― Imam Ali as
Sep 10, 2014 1:28 AM
Jun 2014
batossai said:

Then it shouldnt try to be intelligent, all that "explaining" is just filler. They slap on some scientific terminology to waste time. hence it being a pseudo-science filler. i wouldn't even call it an "infodump" because it would have made as much sense if it was pure gibberish.

There are people who find it actually interesting and the reason why they like those explanations.... Explaining stuffs =/= being intelligent. I simply don't view it as an intelligent anime, it simply let's know the world of Mahouka much better by explaining the logic around it, which I personally really like. If you don't, then don't watch it, simple as that :)
Sep 10, 2014 3:17 AM

May 2013
darkreaperix said:

Despite all those explanations Mahouka still has asspulls like e.g. Tatsuya using Decomposition against Blanche.
Sep 10, 2014 3:25 AM

Apr 2008
jakkubus said:
darkreaperix said:

Despite all those explanations Mahouka still has asspulls like e.g. Tatsuya using Decomposition against Blanche.

That's not an asspull given the power of the Yotsuba by default in this world >_>
Sep 10, 2014 4:44 AM

May 2013
Darklight0303 said:
jakkubus said:

That's not an asspull given the power of the Yotsuba by default in this world >_>

And when we hear, that he is Yotsuba? In 2nd volume?
He casted it out of nowhere, when he was still portrayed as a weak magician.
Also in the same manner you can explain almost all of asspulls in other animes (e.g. Ichigo is half-human, half-Shinigami, half-Quincy, half-whatever so by default he can do anything).
Sep 10, 2014 5:46 AM

Mar 2010
TKMike said:
batossai said:

There are people who find it actually interesting and the reason why they like those explanations.... Explaining stuffs =/= being intelligent. I simply don't view it as an intelligent anime, it simply let's know the world of Mahouka much better by explaining the logic around it, which I personally really like. If you don't, then don't watch it, simple as that :)

I never said that people wouldnt like it or shouldnt like it or anything to that effect, my original comment was a reply to someone who asked me why i found the episode boring, and i said it felt like pseudo science. you claimed that i thought the show was trying to be intelligent and i was trying to be intelligent or something by calling it a pseudo science filler, and i was explaining to you why i thought that it is. that does not mean that i don't like the show. Don't jump to conclusions next time.

To me the explanations were convoluted and did not offer much in terms of the logic of the show or actually explaining anything, hence why i called it filler, if you like it that's cool.
Sep 10, 2014 9:01 AM
Sep 2014
jakkubus said:
LMorgana said:

even greater action compared to ep 16 which is onlt a bit of whats coming. its great because everyone will truly shine in thpse moments.i mean everyone. evry student they'll reveal what other abilities they can. lets just wait patiently kay? :)
Sep 10, 2014 9:54 AM

May 2013
LMorgana said:
jakkubus said:

even greater action compared to ep 16 which is onlt a bit of whats coming. its great because everyone will truly shine in thpse moments.i mean everyone. evry student they'll reveal what other abilities they can. lets just wait patiently kay? :)

Looks promising.
Sep 10, 2014 12:29 PM
Apr 2008
batossai said:
TKMike said:

I never said that people wouldnt like it or shouldnt like it or anything to that effect, my original comment was a reply to someone who asked me why i found the episode boring, and i said it felt like pseudo science. you claimed that i thought the show was trying to be intelligent and i was trying to be intelligent or something by calling it a pseudo science filler, and i was explaining to you why i thought that it is. that does not mean that i don't like the show. Don't jump to conclusions next time.

To me the explanations were convoluted and did not offer much in terms of the logic of the show or actually explaining anything, hence why i called it filler, if you like it that's cool.

I'll have to agree with batossai there. The explanation made no sense whatsoever. As someone who is very much interested in Nuclear energy of course I was listening very closely.

If you really are interested in science, go on reading, if not ignore the following paragraph:
Just look at the slide with the reaction loop. Generation of Plasma and Coulomb Force Control sound fine (if you ignore the fact that if that was possible there'd be tons of easier ways to generate energy out of nothingness than nuclear fusion). Then Gravity Control? I totally did not get why you would need gravity control to as it would seem move a piston to compress?/transport? the gas to the cooler which uses vibration magic to cool down the gas to supposedly not melt the container. But now comes another issue: The gas we are talking about is Hydrogen. Where did the Helium go? That's what fusion is all about fusing 2 Deuterium (Heavy Hydrogen) to 1 Helium Atom. There a lots of other issues you should be able to see if you know high school physics like the lowering of the coulomb force, which would break not only the physical laws of electromagnetism but the whole concept of Conservation of energy. Same with the vibration magic, you can't just take vibration energy out of the system into nothingness.

Long story short. The whole thing was throwing scientific terminology at people trying to sound smart and hoping no one would notice.
If you are trying to make magic a form of science you should at least try to make the concept fit into the known scientific context in a way where high school physics are covered. Meaning especially that the most basic law of energy conservation has to be obeyed. () You could make up some magic hyperspace where you temporarily(!) dump energy you pull out of the system for example.
There are enough anime out there which expand the known scientific laws in a way that is still logically sound if you don't use the Maxwell equations to prove it wrong or something.

More science following:
Take Fullmetal Alchemist for example. The concept of alchemy makes sense, it conserves mass. E=mc^2 is a bit of a problem there since the energy of the bonds between p+ and n0 in different nuclei are never addressed, but can be explained away with some of the mass being converted into energy for those bonds.
Index does a better job as well. If you look closely you'll also see lots of things breaking conservation of energy (like teleportation), but as a whole everything seems a lot more plausible. And scientific explanations always seem logical if you take the concepts of the scientific expansion (ESP and Magic) into account.

The LN explains a lot of things unlike the Anime. But like in this episode most of those explanations are just gibberish. The thing that makes this interesting for me are the characters. I kinda like having this seemingly all powerful protagonist, but the science unfortunately is crap mostly.
Sep 10, 2014 1:25 PM

May 2013
Huy said:
If you really are interested in science, go on reading, if not ignore the following paragraph:
Just look at the slide with the reaction loop. Generation of Plasma and Coulomb Force Control sound fine (if you ignore the fact that if that was possible there'd be tons of easier ways to generate energy out of nothingness than nuclear fusion). Then Gravity Control? I totally did not get why you would need gravity control to as it would seem move a piston to compress?/transport? the gas to the cooler which uses vibration magic to cool down the gas to supposedly not melt the container. But now comes another issue: The gas we are talking about is Hydrogen. Where did the Helium go? That's what fusion is all about fusing 2 Deuterium (Heavy Hydrogen) to 1 Helium Atom. There a lots of other issues you should be able to see if you know high school physics like the lowering of the coulomb force, which would break not only the physical laws of electromagnetism but the whole concept of Conservation of energy. Same with the vibration magic, you can't just take vibration energy out of the system into nothingness.

That issue with Hydrogen gas disturbed me too, but I thought it was mistranslation. Container is probably protected with Reverse Absorb magic or something like that. Also magic in Mahouka is not turn-energy-into-effect like Naruto or FMA, but basically reality warping.

Index does a better job as well. If you look closely you'll also see lots of things breaking conservation of energy (like teleportation), but as a whole everything seems a lot more plausible. And scientific explanations always seem logical if you take the concepts of the scientific expansion (ESP and Magic) into account.

Teleportation in Toaru is just like movement, but in 11 dimensions instead of 3.

Also you got nice nick, but I doubt, that you want to know what it means. :P
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
Yesterday, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
Apr 19, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.