Forum Settings
Forums
New
Would you pay Crunchyroll and Funimation to watch anime?
Aug 31, 2014 8:33 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Ae you all know, some group such as Funimation did such good deed, licensing anime.

In fact, they have so much free time and went through the trouble of editing each anime, putting on a censor to ever single ecchi anime.

Waa why are they cutting out all the good scene. OnO
I want my money back. :c
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 31, 2014 8:36 AM

Jul 2013
Buy the official releash if you want uncensored cartoon tits.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2014 8:39 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Oh ho, didnt know there were that option
Aug 31, 2014 8:47 AM

May 2013
>implying I spend my hard earned neet-bucks to watch chinese cartoons.
Aug 31, 2014 9:35 AM

Nov 2012
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 31, 2014 9:02 PM

Jun 2008
I pay Netflix, so no!

I torrent mah shit and If I like it enough, I buy it.
Fair deal, no?

If I like Manga more, I but it.
Fair Deal, no?
I ship things I want! Why? Because it's fun!
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!
I don't come with a security label!

My anime list hasn't been updated for a really long time, so it's not accurate!

Aug 31, 2014 9:16 PM

May 2010
i pay for internet.
Aug 31, 2014 9:18 PM

Apr 2013
Aug 31, 2014 9:19 PM

Dec 2013
I only pay for CR, but when they don't have the anime I want I just google it
Aug 31, 2014 9:32 PM

May 2010
deanzel said:

"downloads into gif folder"
Aug 31, 2014 9:38 PM

Mar 2014
I would pay to watch anime, but a pirate's life for me.
Aug 31, 2014 9:42 PM

Jun 2008
ReignSixx said:

Yes!
What he says!

"Do what you want cause a pirate is free,
You Are a Pirate!"

You're A Pirate by
Lazytown
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!

Aug 31, 2014 9:53 PM

Jun 2010
this thread
>watching FUNImation licenses
>browsing CR

Nice try anti-piracy police.
Aug 31, 2014 10:14 PM

Sep 2011
Quick question,

Are anime on Crunchy Roll in high quality?
Aug 31, 2014 10:17 PM

Jun 2008
OriginANIME said:
Quick question,

I think you have to pay to watch them HD, but SD is fine usually on CR.

Aug 31, 2014 10:25 PM

Oct 2013
FUNimation no, god fuck no. Alright first the GOD DAMN PLAYER, it's awful. End of story. Second their app cost FUCKING $10 WHEN U CAN'T EVEN PLAY SIMULCAST EPISODES IN IT. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/funimation/id478356656

I've been subscribed to Crunchyroll even since January 2012, never regretted one bit of it, I don't really care watching the latest episodes as soon it's available.

OriginANIME said:
Quick question,

Yes. One Piece just like in FUNimation's takes like 2 hours before the HD comes out, don't know why.
Aug 31, 2014 10:25 PM

Jun 2010
OriginANIME said:
Quick question,

If you're okay with your cartoons in awkward 10bit and ignore the awful subs, yea, quite.
Commie rips their raws anyway.
Aug 31, 2014 10:28 PM
May 2007
I live in Japan now so I either rent my anime (yes, rentals are still alive and well in Japan while every corner blockbuster back home are now gone), watch it through free service providers like yahoo gyao, or watch it in theaters if i am interested in it
Aug 31, 2014 10:28 PM

Nov 2012
OriginANIME said:
Quick question,

Depends on what you consider quality. If only having it in high-resolution is enough for you, then yes. If you want more quality pirating is the way.
Aug 31, 2014 10:29 PM

Sep 2011
Well I wouldn't be so against paying for anime monthly if they supported high quality (as in 720p+) anime with great subs.

Until then I'll keep streaming and supporting the business by buying the legit copies (DVD/Bluray) and other anime merchandise.
Aug 31, 2014 10:29 PM

Oct 2013
xbobx said:
OriginANIME said:
Quick question,

If you're okay with your cartoons in awkward 10bit and ignore the awful subs, yea, quite.
The translations are considered awful by most rippers since Crunchyroll's translators never puts TLN thus they don't do on-screen translations as well, they only do the voices AFAIK (U know when something is written on a paper or some shit).
Aug 31, 2014 10:36 PM

May 2010
[quote=R4vel]
xbobx said:
OriginANIME said:
Quick question,

The translations are considered awful by most rippers since Crunchyroll's translators never puts TLN thus they don't do on-screen translations / typesetting .

fixed :)
Aug 31, 2014 10:38 PM
Jun 2009
I watch on crunchy roll and watch their stupid ads so no, I don't pay money. I'm so far behind in watching anime I really don't need to watch new stuff an hour after its premiered
Aug 31, 2014 10:55 PM

Jun 2010
OriginANIME said:
Well I wouldn't be so against paying for anime monthly if they supported high quality (as in 720p+) anime with great subs.

>with great subs.
great subs.

Oh, boy.
Anime will be dead before CR have decent subs.

@edit:
R4vel said:
The translations are considered awful by most rippers since Crunchyroll's translators never puts TLN thus they don't do on-screen translations as well, they only do the voices AFAIK (U know when something is written on a paper or some shit).

If it was only this, then it was bearable. GG did shit like this and people still downloaded their subs. CR doesn't have any idea how to use freaking honorifics and keep messing up with the most simple expressions, 101 stuff like itadakimasu.
xbobxAug 31, 2014 11:05 PM
Sep 1, 2014 1:03 AM

Sep 2011
xbobx said:
OriginANIME said:

>with great subs.
great subs.

Oh, boy.
Anime will be dead before CR have decent subs.

@edit:
R4vel said:

If it was only this, then it was bearable. GG did shit like this and people still downloaded their subs. CR doesn't have any idea how to use freaking honorifics and keep messing up with the most simple expressions, 101 stuff like itadakimasu.

Very noob when it comes to CR so whats exactly wrong with their subs? Not synced properly? Wrong translations? Ugly? What is it? I'm curious now. LOL
Sep 1, 2014 1:05 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
pay to watch anime? ha. hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

seriously for me nope, im too poor, otherwise i probably would to help out the companies n shit
Sep 1, 2014 1:14 AM
May 2011
I buy them and pay for subscriptions
Sep 1, 2014 1:15 AM
Jul 2018
I never pay to watch stuff.
Sep 1, 2014 1:25 AM

Jun 2009
I do buy DVDs of shows I liked enough (and that get released here...)

Same goes for manga. As for paying some online viewing site? No.
Sep 1, 2014 1:43 AM

Jan 2014
Seeing how much of a pain in the ass it can be to find decent torrent for anime sometimes, I MIGHT consider starting to purchase some shows. Even more file uploading sites are being taken down nowadays, it feels like pirates are gonna have a tougher time to get around.
Sep 1, 2014 2:16 AM

Jan 2009
OriginANIME said:

Very noob when it comes to CR so whats exactly wrong with their subs? Not synced properly? Wrong translations? Ugly? What is it? I'm curious now. LOL

As far as English grammar and translation accuracy are concerned, their subs are professional-level. They are the best available according to fansub reviewers speaking both languages (http://www.crymore.net).

They sometimes don't write honorifics (-kun, -chan) and their typesetting is not as flashy as some fansubs. Some think their translation is bad because of that. Many fansub groups copy CR script and some of them add -sama, -kun and colourful karaoke to meet these people's needs.
OkiuraSep 1, 2014 5:19 AM
Sep 1, 2014 2:32 AM
Dec 2013
Not me. I'd rather pay for anime to own as DVDs, instead of paying to watch online. The only reason to pay to watch on Crunchyroll is if you want to watch the latest episode of an anime while it's still new (instead of waiting a week if you don't pay) and not be guilty about it. Not to mention that these legal anime websites aren't likely to have every anime you want to watch in it.

I don't even think it's possible to watch something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes legally online.
Sep 1, 2014 2:37 AM
Jul 2013
When I feel like it.
Sep 1, 2014 1:10 PM

Jun 2010
Okiura said:
OriginANIME said:

As far as English grammar and translation accuracy are concerned, their subs are professional-level. They are the best available according to fansub reviewers speaking both languages (http://www.crymore.net).

They sometimes don't write honorifics (-kun, -chan) and their typesetting is not as flashy as some fansubs. Some think their translation is bad because of that. Many fansub groups copy CR script and some of them add -sama, -kun and colourful karaoke to meet these people's needs.

"Are you new or something?" oh no wait, your join date is from 2009.
Nice try CR dev.

"professional-level" doesn't mean shit. There are tons of English licensed manga and anime with ridiculous translations.
As I said before, if hardsubs and typesetting were the problem, CR would be way more famous by now and not hatted by 50% of the internet as a community.
I'm also puzzled by what you take as "translation accuracy". Translating Itadakimasu to "Yay, let's eat" is bullshit.
Also, when Nichijou aired, they didn't get some references and puns so they just left a plain shitty question mark instead of subbing it.
They did something similar with Haruhi's time-warping stuff as well. I'm just glad they didn't take GuP, otherwise we would probably see "HeavyArmourConductingMixedMartialArts" for senshado.

Not to mention that they're always "adapting" some expressions to give a Murrica-feel to them.
Some subs (commie) sucks because they write their Weaboo shit all over the place, but I still don't like Amerikkan slangs on my animu.

As far as QUALITY is concerned, it's Daiz 10bit stuff. Basically the same from the fansubs rips but upscaled to mess with your player.
If you want speed, go for HS. They usually take 2~3 hours.
Sep 1, 2014 1:12 PM

Mar 2014
No, consider torrenting anime atonement of Japan for raping the Chinese in WWII.
Sep 1, 2014 1:59 PM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
if they had all the anime i'd want to watch i'd gladly pay some money but they don't have many series in my region..
Sep 1, 2014 2:03 PM

Jun 2014
Paying to watch anime will probably will be my last resort.
Sep 1, 2014 2:16 PM

Jun 2014
Why pay for it when you can pirate it?
Sep 1, 2014 2:34 PM

Jan 2009
xbobx said:
Nice try CR dev.

I'm sorry, but this grammatical construction fail to convey any meaning or idea from your part. Why should I trust your opinion on translation over someone more familiar with English and Japanese ?

The art of translation is to faithfully convey the transmitter's speech in the most natural way to the receiver's ear, and adaptation is part of the translator's competence. Subtitles should be even smoother and more discrete so that the viewer wouldn't be distracted from the image and the story. So, maximum accuracy with minimum distraction, if you can do that, you're a pro.
OkiuraSep 1, 2014 3:04 PM
Sep 1, 2014 8:14 PM

Oct 2013
xbobx said:
Okiura said:

Nice try CR dev.

"professional-level" doesn't mean shit. There are tons of English licensed manga and anime with ridiculous translations.
As I said before, if hardsubs and typesetting were the problem, CR would be way more famous by now and not hatted by 50% of the internet as a community.
I'm also puzzled by what you take as "translation accuracy". Translating Itadakimasu to "Yay, let's eat" is bullshit.
Also, when Nichijou aired, they didn't get some references and puns so they just left a plain shitty question mark instead of subbing it.
They did something similar with Haruhi's time-warping stuff as well. I'm just glad they didn't take GuP, otherwise we would probably see "HeavyArmourConductingMixedMartialArts" for senshado.

Not to mention that they're always "adapting" some expressions to give a Murrica-feel to them.
Some subs (commie) sucks because they write their Weaboo shit all over the place, but I still don't like Amerikkan slangs on my animu.

As far as QUALITY is concerned, it's Daiz 10bit stuff. Basically the same from the fansubs rips but upscaled to mess with your player.
If you want speed, go for HS. They usually take 2~3 hours.
Also I noticed a lot that they change the proper translations to fit the situation but a lot of the times it backfires, like 'shut up' would be 'you're annoying' instead and I see a fair amount of 'shush' in their subs.

Oh and aren't Commic and GG down? I see most people using HorribleSubs now but they're not fan sub they literally just copy FUNimation's/Crunchyroll's
Sep 1, 2014 8:33 PM

Jun 2013
ReignSixx said:
I love you whoever made this gif <3
Sep 1, 2014 8:40 PM

Jan 2013
I used to pay for CR, but it's not worth the money. I'm planning on purchasing some of my favorite anime. Anyhow, don't cry about wanting a new season of your favorite anime if you never helped to support the creators...
Sep 1, 2014 8:46 PM

Jun 2010
Okiura said:

I'm sorry, but this grammatical construction fail to convey any meaning or idea from your part. Why should I trust your opinion on translation over someone more familiar with English and Japanese ?

The art of translation is to faithfully convey the transmitter's speech in the most natural way to the receiver's ear, and adaptation is part of the translator's competence. Subtitles should be even smoother and more discrete so that the viewer wouldn't be distracted from the image and the story. So, maximum accuracy with minimum distraction, if you can do that, you're a pro.

That grammatical construction wasn't meant to convey any meaning or idea from my part.
the [pun intended] on "Nice try _____." was implied.

You're correct, a translation should also do adaptations, but there's a limit to them.
If the source material is modified beyond the limit, it looses its primordial characteristics, not to mention that every work translated by said company will end up patterned with the same feeling to them. Sometimes you sacrifice formal grammar rules and elaborated adaptations in order to maintain the simplicity or originality of some dialogues.
You don't need to trust "my opinion", just google it or ask around (just not on MAL) and see for yourself.
e.g: In the very reply on this thread, I criticized Commie for their constant weeaboo injections, but I do acknowledge their GuP subs. "Panzerfahren" was marvelous and honesly, better than Tankwondo.
Besides, I don't know why you're bringing up the subs layout again, I already said this isn't the point.

R4vel said:

Oh and aren't Commic and GG down? I see most people using HorribleSubs now but they're not fan sub they literally just copy FUNimation's/Crunchyroll's

GG died long ago I guess.
Well... Daiz and CR are killing fansub anyway [pun intended]
Commie is still up, tho. Like CoalGuys, CoalGirls, Underwater (they dropped everything), FTW and I believe Mazui & UTW are still around as well.
(but not right now, since they are being DDoS to oblivion)
Sep 1, 2014 10:27 PM

Jan 2009
Distraction = Unnatural, awkward sentences trying too much to do word for word translations + honorifics + visual choices

Frostii are still around too. The heroes responsible for Kaiba subs.
I think fansubbers should concentrate on what they did best, discovering unlicensed hidden gems (not ripping dual audio releases).
Sep 2, 2014 2:05 AM
Mar 2014
NEVER FAQING EVER PAY FOR IT best things ever are always 4 free <3
Sep 2, 2014 2:30 AM
Feb 2014
i only pay if i really like the series and therefore i buy a hard copy of it
I only read books i have already read
Sep 3, 2014 5:49 AM
Sep 2014
In fact, they have so much free time and went through the trouble of editing each anime, putting on a censor to ever single ecchi anime.

Waa why are they cutting out all the good scene. OnO
I want my money back
Sep 3, 2014 6:01 AM

Mar 2014
I don't ever pay but I have a crunchyroll account I'm using from a friend.
Sep 3, 2014 6:04 AM

May 2012
I've had a Crunchyroll subscription for a few years now. I only watch a few shows a month, but $7 is hardly going to break the bank, and I like the feeling of legitimacy it provides.

I find these complaints about CR's translations laughable considering a good portion of their staff used to work as fansubbers.

I do wish they would provide translations for the OP/ED songs, but that's very problematic given the byzantine ways of the Japanese music industry. Sam Pinansky managed to get his lyrics for the songs in Sakamichi no Apollon approved by the music publishers involved, but it didn't happen until halfway through the show. They reedited the show on CR to add the lyrics.

I buy DVD/BD releases of my favorite shows, and occasionally buy OST CDs as well, especially for shows like Bartender and Dennou Coil that will never be released in the West.

I still watch fansubs for shows that will never be licensed like Hyouge Mono.
SeijiSenseiSep 3, 2014 6:07 AM
Sep 3, 2014 6:05 AM

Nov 2009
. . . Paying for anime is a thing? Well darn.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

49 by Zimmu »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

44 by Gensouori »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

47 by LoveYourEyes »»
12 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

36 by Lhundrup »»
13 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

21 by Horshu »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.