Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 18, 2014 1:28 PM

Mar 2013
-Klad- said:
Turn based. It gives you enoug htime to create a strategy which might change the game's course.
You have caught the essence!
Aug 18, 2014 3:47 PM

Feb 2005
Real time. It is much more intuitive and usually allows for a far greater range of approaches to combat.

Turn based is indeed great for tactics and strategy, but most RPGs hardly contain any of this. I've only played some few games, Like the SMT series, where battle tactics actually matters most of the time. Beyond that, most games tend have particular bosses where you might benefit from a strategic approach, but the majority of battles inevitably turn into mindless button mashing, which is a complete waste of a turn based battle system.
Aug 18, 2014 3:56 PM

Jul 2011
Both are okay.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 18, 2014 4:06 PM

Mar 2014
-Klad- said:
Turn based. It gives you enoug htime to create a strategy which might change the game's course.
It's more fun for me to have to make up a quick strat on the fly in real time and I feel like that adds more pressure on the player.
Aug 18, 2014 4:07 PM
Mar 2011
Baman said:
Real time. It is much more intuitive and usually allows for a far greater range of approaches to combat.

Turn based is indeed great for tactics and strategy, but most RPGs hardly contain any of this. I've only played some few games, Like the SMT series, where battle tactics actually matters most of the time. Beyond that, most games tend have particular bosses where you might benefit from a strategic approach, but the majority of battles inevitably turn into mindless button mashing, which is a complete waste of a turn based battle system.

try going in to neo shinryu unprepared abd you ill get a nasty shock most non Srpgs strategy comes form pre planning SRPGs is were you need strategy on he fly
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 18, 2014 4:59 PM

Jan 2013
Turn based with a bits of RNG. Fire Emblem probably being my all time favorite series.
Aug 19, 2014 4:53 PM

Feb 2005
FGAU1912 said:
try going in to neo shinryu unprepared abd you ill get a nasty shock most non Srpgs strategy comes form pre planning SRPGs is were you need strategy on he fly
Yea, I'm sure there are others I haven't played that requires strategy/tactics.
"Strategy on the fly" is kind of an oxymoron though, heh.
Aug 19, 2014 10:12 PM
Sep 2007
IMO, biggest problem with classic turn based battles in RPGs is exactly that it gives player time to think about next move, until s/he finds a pattern in enemy's "movement".
After that it's just about using strong enough skills, and healing, if necessary, which often gets boring.

If you ask me, even if games should be relaxing, they should also put some pressure on player, simply to be more exciting.

That's why these days I prefer action based things, where you actually have feeling of playing the game, not just inputting commands.

As for the enemies, them having the massive amount of HP doesn't help, it just unnecessary prolongs the battles.
Aug 19, 2014 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
Probably turn-based because usually those have a MUCH more in-depth combat system with layers of strategy. Most real-time combat systems just consist of clicking until enemy=dead.
Aug 20, 2014 3:37 AM

May 2014
I usually just look forward to the stories for rpgs.
I would prefer turn based since I like SMT games
Aug 20, 2014 5:43 AM

Jan 2012
Love both. Really love my Tales games. What counts as real time? Elder scrolls?Fallout 3 and nv? Mass effect? If these count then I guess I would lean towards real time but still like both.
you sound poor
Aug 20, 2014 7:09 AM
Mar 2011
as iv said bfore i like both systems for different franchises for expale ys id never play turn baded and FF DQ mega ten and alike i find irt annoying ti play action based

thats why i hated FF XII and XIII FF XII was case of Deep lore and stpry like most Us CRPGs of modern times
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 20, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2011
I used to love turn based because many of my favorite rpgs are like that but now... i'm changing to action-rpg and real time.
Aug 20, 2014 12:03 PM

Oct 2013
Turn Based is good and all but its Real Time 4 me. coz if u was gonna go into a battle in real lfe then thats how itll be, in real time!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Aug 21, 2014 1:54 AM

Aug 2009
I prefer Turn Based,
I'm pretty slow with thinking of a decision so I need that extra time.

Aug 21, 2014 2:41 AM

Mar 2014
I like both so it really doesn't matter to me.
Aug 21, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2014
MetalxSoldier said:
Love both. Really love my Tales games. What counts as real time? Elder scrolls?Fallout 3 and nv? Mass effect? If these count then I guess I would lean towards real time but still like both.

The Tales series counts as Realt Time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

150 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
2 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

531 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
2 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3536 by Skyla »»
2 hours ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

21 by whitebeartigtig »»
8 hours ago

» Contrary to popular belief, Windows 8.1 is still being supported RIGHT NOW

DesuMaiden - Apr 29

7 by whitebeartigtig »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.