Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2014 4:19 AM
Jun 2014
"“Like Batman, all of us hide behind our masks and use them to help define ourselves for others. We all have secret identities of a sort, hidden behind our smiling social-networking profiles or our happy church faces." - Paul Asay.

So the other day my friend was like, "what happened to you? You used to be this funny guy who didn't give a fak which you kind of still are but now you're more of this mature shy guy." It's so true. A lot of people I know who aren't as close to me as my childhood friends are think I'm this innocent mature guy which I'm not. I don't know if I've changed for the better. I remember my first day at high school back in the day. I was scared before my first day but when I started, I approached so many of the older guys and we cracked so many jokes.I miss being loco roco. That corporate life makes me sick. Look what it's done to me!!!!!!! I need to break this mature mask of mine, where's the sledge hammer? Remember seeing an old friend who I hadn't seen for five years and the first thing he did when he saw me was pull a face that I use to pull.
KaiwaiikillahJul 16, 2014 9:26 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 16, 2014 4:20 AM

Apr 2013
like 9 or 10
an egomaniac and a fool

Jul 16, 2014 4:22 AM

Mar 2013
Approximately 34 different masks
Happy Halloween
Jul 16, 2014 4:22 AM

May 2011
I have three:
the outgoing mask which I maintain on the internet,
the shy and submissive mask I show in real life,
and the selfish and dark mask I know I truly am when I'm not wearing either of those.
Jul 16, 2014 4:24 AM

May 2009
3, I guess. One around friends, another around family and the last one around everybody else. There's only one person I feel comfortable being what I consider my true self around.
Jul 16, 2014 4:27 AM
Dec 2010
Well, I tend to be really formal to strangers and then after just a tiny bit of conversation I turn into "instant best friend"-mode or something. Personalities develop throughout the years, so I guess it's nothing new. I estimate that I'm wearing -1((5i)^2) masks.
Jul 16, 2014 4:36 AM
Jul 2018
I wear alot it depends who I'm with....
If I don't know the person then I'm so shy... which I hate
Jul 16, 2014 4:37 AM
Aug 2012
Maybe 6
Jul 16, 2014 4:39 AM
Jun 2014
Gekishin said:
Maybe 6

May I buy one, sir?
Jul 16, 2014 4:39 AM
Jun 2014
Gekishin said:
Maybe 6

May I buy one?
Jul 16, 2014 4:40 AM
Jun 2014
bacchi said:
3, I guess. One around friends, another around family and the last one around everybody else. There's only one person I feel comfortable being what I consider my true self around.

I'm fun self when I'm around friends and family but when I'm with people at work I'm like *_*
Jul 16, 2014 4:47 AM

Jul 2012
I dunno.

Lately? I've been trying to be pretty real to myself on the internet, still going to count it as one.

Then there is the out in general public mask, the pissed off, don't fuck with me, get out of my way look. I like people to avoid me and get out of my way when in populated areas.

There's the mask I use for work that's a general asshole but with respect/submissive to those that sign my paycheck.

Then there is the one for ladies where I try and seem "more" than I really am.

...and finally there's the one for irl friends where I try and seem more fun than I really am.

Almost forgot the one around family.

So 6.
Jul 16, 2014 4:56 AM

Dec 2008
Zero, I'm not hiding anything.
Jul 16, 2014 5:13 AM

Jun 2008
I don't call them masks, simply different sides of your personality. People who don't know you obviously simplifies your personality to a few traits. People are complex, but not everyone have masks which seems to imply that you're trying to hide a part of yourself to someone. It's more like there's often very little opportunities to show who you really are. At least that's how it is with me.
Jul 16, 2014 5:15 AM

Mar 2014
I have a closet full of masks. I've been trying to toss away as many as I can and only keep the ones that I believe are the honest ones. For a long time I swapped between them, not knowing which one was mine. When a mask fools even the wearer, it's time to throw it out.
Jul 16, 2014 5:26 AM

May 2013
I am anonymose xD we are legion expect us :PPPPPPP never forget
Jul 16, 2014 5:48 AM

Apr 2014
I own a wolf mask. (that doesn't mean I act like a wolf)
Jul 16, 2014 6:18 AM

Oct 2012
3, maybe. school, internet, in front of other people~

mask is useful to hid your true self after all.
Jul 16, 2014 6:23 AM
Aug 2012
LashLethal said:
Gekishin said:
Maybe 6

May I buy one?

Not for sale, sorry
Jul 16, 2014 6:29 AM

Jan 2014
just 1, the quiet mask. When I'm with my buddies I let the real weirdness flow out and ramble on, they always get a kick out of it.
Jul 16, 2014 6:29 AM

May 2009
LashLethal said:
bacchi said:

I'm fun self when I'm around friends and family but when I'm with people at work I'm like *_*

I'm not sure I'm fun even around friends, I'm easygoing, but still kinda reserved. I'm a prime and proper lady around family and just socially inept when it comes to interacting with everybody else lol. Those are my 3 masks I suppose, though the last one is more of an issue than a mask I willingly don.

I don't work, but during my internships, I actively avoided people I worked with.
Jul 16, 2014 6:59 AM

May 2012
Jul 16, 2014 7:02 AM
Dec 2010
SoupEmperor said:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jul 16, 2014 7:15 AM
Jul 2018
This is the only mask I own and need
Jul 16, 2014 7:29 AM
Jun 2014
Starchaser187 said:
This is the only mask I own and need

You's a killer?
Jul 16, 2014 7:29 AM
Jun 2014
SoupEmperor said:

Meine nigga. You must sell me one.
Jul 16, 2014 7:32 AM

May 2012
LashLethal said:
SoupEmperor said:

Meine nigga. You must sell me one.

Sorry, I need all of them
Jul 16, 2014 7:32 AM
Jun 2014
bacchi said:
LashLethal said:

I'm not sure I'm fun even around friends, I'm easygoing, but still kinda reserved. I'm a prime and proper lady around family and just socially inept when it comes to interacting with everybody else lol. Those are my 3 masks I suppose, though the last one is more of an issue than a mask I willingly don.

I don't work, but during my internships, I actively avoided people I worked with.

"proper lady" ahaha. I've learned that there's no point in getting attached to people at work because if you leave or they leave, you'll lose contact with them.
Jul 16, 2014 7:33 AM
Jan 2014
A few
Jul 16, 2014 7:39 AM

Aug 2008
Knowing that one keeps track of such things tells me far more about them than their masks could ever hope to conceal.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jul 16, 2014 7:52 AM

Jul 2014
There is no "masks" it all simply depends on the environment you're in.
Its like saying someone is wearing a mask because he's usually the goofy type but now is crying his eyes out when he's in a funeral. Its ridiculous, there are no masks all of them are a part of your overall personality.
People aren't 2 dimensional like in your chinese cartoons.
Jul 16, 2014 7:55 AM
Apr 2014
I'm always the same. I don't wear any masks. Like some people say, "I hate everyone the same" hehe
Btw I don't go to church -last time I went was last Christmas lol.
I'm rude with my "parents" and I chose not to have anyone close to me (friends or any kind of relationship) because I don't like having someone near me.
So basically I don't give a shit that others might think ill about me.
In RL I'm a shut in. But I have to make a correction - a wear a mask: MAL is the only place where I'm friendly and sociable, because I feel closer to people around here than RL. :)
Jul 16, 2014 8:01 AM

May 2012
kurai-ookami-san said:
I'm always the same. I don't wear any masks. Like some people say, "I hate everyone the same" hehe
I'm rude with my "parents" and I chose not to have anyone close to me (friends or any kind of relationship) because I don't like having someone near me.
In RL I'm a shut in. But I have to make a correction - a wear a mask: MAL is the only place where I'm friendly and sociable, because I feel closer to people around here than RL. :)

people who hate their irl life (friends, family, environment they're in etc..) always try to be nice with people on the internet.
Jul 16, 2014 8:06 AM
Jun 2014
kurai-ookami-san said:

Are you joking?
Jul 16, 2014 8:10 AM
Jun 2014
SoupEmperor said:
kurai-ookami-san said:

people who hate their irl life (friends, family, environment they're in etc..) always try to be nice with people on the internet.

Aye, unless your parents are dicks to you, thou should not hate them. Remember that it was your mum who bestowed her tit upon thee when thou cried for milk.
Jul 16, 2014 8:14 AM

Feb 2013
Seven.

Each one looks a lot like me.
Jul 16, 2014 8:29 AM

Jun 2014
About 4 masks.
Jul 16, 2014 8:33 AM

Jul 2012
I may seem like I have masks, but I am kind of random when it comes to moods.

I used to have a bad attitude problem, I guess that could be a mask.
Jul 16, 2014 8:33 AM

May 2014
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

-Oscar Wilde
I've been here way too long...
Jul 16, 2014 8:37 AM

Oct 2013
I do wear a mask in real life. Everyone around me think I'm a quiet, shy, religious nerd (except my close friends, they probably think I'm a perverted nerd). My parents are conservative muslim, so I was raised in a religious environment. But, I've secretly been an agnostic for 2 years, and no one around me knows about it, even my close friends.
Jul 16, 2014 8:42 AM
Apr 2014
LashLethal said:
SoupEmperor said:

Aye, unless your parents are dicks to you, thou should not hate them. Remember that it was your mum who bestowed her tit upon thee when thou cried for milk.

well...my mom divorced two times. And it was about to do it for the third time, half year ago. And I also grew up apart from them. So yeah they are dicks.
But I paid them back for everything. A lot. And I'm still going to do it until...forever lol
Jul 16, 2014 8:45 AM
Apr 2014
SoupEmperor said:

Well...people on MAL are nice. Even those who troll are nice in their own way lol.
I mean MAL community is the closest thing to anime life I've seen. And for me Anime world > RL.
Jul 16, 2014 9:23 AM
Jun 2014
kurai-ookami-san said:
LashLethal said:

well...my mom divorced two times. And it was about to do it for the third time, half year ago. And I also grew up apart from them. So yeah they are dicks.
But I paid them back for everything. A lot. And I'm still going to do it until...forever lol

Sorry to here that man.
Jul 16, 2014 9:31 AM
Apr 2014
LashLethal said:

Sorry to here that man.

Don't be. Thanks to all I've been through I'm the person I am today. Both good and bad situations.
And surprisingly (even for me) is that I'm happy. There's no need to feel sorry for me. :)

You should feel sorry for those who live being a fake
Jul 16, 2014 9:36 AM

May 2012
kurai-ookami-san said:
LashLethal said:

Sorry to here that man.

Don't be. Thanks to all I've been through I'm the person I am today. Both good and bad situations.
And surprisingly (even for me) is that I'm happy. There's no need to feel sorry for me. :)

You should feel sorry for those who live being a fake

glad to hear you're proud of who you are
Jul 16, 2014 9:55 AM

Nov 2013
I wouldn't call them masks.
I'm very open about my beliefs. Those who know me better get to experience more of my personality.

I can see you

Jul 16, 2014 10:12 AM

Dec 2013
LashLethal said:
"“Like Batman, all of us hide behind our masks and use them to help define ourselves for others. We all have secret identities of a sort, hidden behind our smiling social-networking profiles or our happy church faces." - Paul Asay.

So the other day my friend was like, "what happened to you? You used to be this funny guy who didn't give a fak which you kind of still are but now you're more of this mature shy guy." It's so true. A lot of people I know who aren't as close to me as my childhood friends are think I'm this innocent mature guy which I'm not. I don't know if I've changed for the better. I remember my first day at high school back in the day. I was scared before my first day but when I started, I approached so many of the older guys and we cracked so many jokes.I miss being loco roco. That corporate life makes me sick. Look what it's done to me!!!!!!! I need to break this mature mask of mine, where's the sledge hammer? Remember seeing an old friend who I hadn't seen for five years and the first thing he did when he saw me was pull a face that I use to pull.

If you want to take off that mask you may ask Naruto, he kinda does it for free..

Jul 16, 2014 10:18 AM

Mar 2013
Vanser said:
Zero, I'm not hiding anything.
Jul 16, 2014 10:32 AM

Jan 2014
I have countless masks that I wear. And underneath those masks you will find nothing.
Jul 16, 2014 11:49 AM

Jan 2014
I'm very conscious of how I'm perceived by other people, so when I first saw this thread I had thought I'd have quite a few, but it's more likely that my personality simply changes drastically based on my mood.

I don't know, probably none, but 3 or 4 if any, I suppose.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

36 by Crawlie »»
8 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
11 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
43 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 hour ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.