Forum Settings
Forums

[Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Character

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Sep 2, 2014 4:16 PM

Jun 2012
Botato said:
Kaimon said:
Frieza is pretty underrated. One of the best villains in mainstream shonen and he can't even get 150 favorites </3
No. Because of the fucking 5 minutes.

In the manga it actually felt like it was around 5 minutes, Toei is always fuckin' shit up
Sep 3, 2014 10:25 AM
Dec 2013
Always felt that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin was underrated, with only 75 member favourites. The kid is a resilient underdog. Hell, he even has his own Wikipedia article in the English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My%C5%8Djin_Yahiko

Nefertari Vivi from One Piece feels underrated too, with only 86 member favourites.
wildhoodSep 3, 2014 11:51 AM
Sep 3, 2014 10:28 AM

Feb 2010
JumpinJackCrash said:
Always felt that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin is underrated, with only 75 member favourites. Dude is a resilient underdog. Hell, he even has his own Wikipedia article in the English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My%C5%8Djin_Yahiko

He's pretty cool, but I think there are just too many more memorable characters in Kenshin that take away some of his votes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 3, 2014 10:52 AM

Nov 2010
over/underrated opposed to what? my foot?

there is no way to compare or check how "popular" a character is... as they don't have a rating system like anime/manga has. and so is this game is just one total biased cesspool!

just like the original topic this is based of was... now people actualy try to discuss it. this topic? you could just rename the damn thing to "wich character do you think sucks the most"

and so it's all subjective...
Sep 3, 2014 11:23 AM

Sep 2013
Overated (in comparison to other characters in the show): Oskar von Reuenthal.

What's so good about him? I found his character to be cool in the start (ermeghard, his eyes are from two different colors :O) but then... oh silly boy.

I liked

Mittermeyer >
OBERSTEIN >
Sep 3, 2014 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
JumpinJackCrash said:
Always felt that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin was underrated, with only 75 member favourites. Dude is a resilient underdog

Went from a tag-along kid to a full fledged party member to a a top tier in the verse, Yahiko's pretty great, not even having 100 favorites is sad
Sep 3, 2014 11:27 AM

Apr 2014
This guy is underrated, only 55 Fave.
Sep 6, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
fst said:
Jack_Noir said:
Bernard Wiseman

This guy is beyond underrated.

He's a fucking hamburger. Are you telling me hamburgers are underrated?

I will never be able to eat a hamburger the same way again..
Sep 6, 2014 7:29 PM

Aug 2014
overrated - alucard. gayest and most overpowered character with worst style in anime history. red suit and glasses, blah...

but even worse is dante (DMC). a cheap failure copy of alucard. even worse style, even more gay and even more ratshit. almost justin biebers level shit...
but why peoples are mistaking me with trolls so often?
Sep 6, 2014 7:36 PM

Nov 2013
Trollbenger said:
but even worse is dante (DMC). a cheap failure copy of alucard. even worse style, even more gay and even more ratshit. almost justin biebers level shit...
There's a special place in hell for people like you.
Sep 6, 2014 7:39 PM

Sep 2011
fst said:
Jack_Noir said:
Bernard Wiseman

This guy is beyond underrated.

He's a fucking hamburger. Are you telling me hamburgers are underrated?
ahh i see war in the pocket is for meat lovers and zeta gundam is for vegetarians.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 6, 2014 8:30 PM

Jan 2014
FloatsBoats said:
Mayuri is underrated based solely on this video

+9000.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 6, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
The top character list is actually pretty awful though it's understandable as it's just correlates with the # of people who have seen the show.

Over rated
LeLouch - I just really disliked almost everything about him. From Character design to his nature to w/e made me drop Code Gaess years ago before ep 20 of S1. This isn't a fair assessment cause I haven't seen the whole series. But I definitely hated him throughout all of S1 and not in the good way as "man he's a really well written character that makes me despise him".
Sasuke - I think most people hate him but he's really an awful character. His back story was cool for the first 100 episodes, but then as he grew up he should have realized he's being a fucking idiot with terrible motivations that really don't make sense.
For comparison in Naruto, what Pain was doing made sense as a villain. When he discussed shit with Naruto when he was laying on the ground, his discussion made sense. With Sasuke he had a terrible history, but he's also had amazing people around him willing to cure his emo bitch ass.

Under rated
Xerxes Break - really liked him in Pandora Hearts even if the anime wasn't solid & he remains cool throughout the manga
Binbouda Momiji - She's just fucking hilarious. Her VA was amazing in the anime
Revy - As ridiculously stupid as Black Lagoon is, I think her character is actually done really well & fairly believable minus lol some characters can have every gun in the room pointed at them and not get hit by a bullet wtf.

After looking at the list a little more, I might make a better post in the future on some way under rated chars. Noticed Revy's fairly high and Break isn't too far down either despite those animes/mangas not being near as popular as the ones ahead of it.
RagesEntitySep 6, 2014 8:50 PM
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 6, 2014 9:06 PM

Nov 2012
Underrated Badass: Smoker

SuperRedSep 6, 2014 9:10 PM
Oct 4, 2014 2:35 PM

Nov 2013
Lancer from Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works TV is underrated.
Awesome and badass as hell.
Oct 4, 2014 2:44 PM

Jun 2013
Mods please lock this thread it's so cancerous why do we have it. /s
Oct 4, 2014 2:53 PM
Feb 2014
Here we go again
Oct 4, 2014 3:13 PM

Apr 2014
Issei
Oct 4, 2014 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
Overrated: Kaneki, who is pretty much an grown up version of Ichigo, wanked to death like he is the 2nd coming of Goku. Erza, a mary sue.

Underrated: Meliodas, he is pretty much Natsu done the right way.

Oct 4, 2014 6:48 PM

Jan 2014
Underrated: Lelouch Vi Britannia. Not everyone is hailing him yet.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 4, 2014 7:19 PM

Sep 2014
Chippo from Inuyasha is very underrated as a character.

He helps releaves tension(which the series builds up a insane amount of), and he basically plays a little brother role to Inuyasha(have you seen how Inuyasha's half brother acts for like 85% of the series=enough said)
Oct 4, 2014 10:54 PM

Jan 2014
OR-Kakashi from Naruto, don't get me wrong, he's pretty cool, but he's getting way too much attention.

UR-Kaiji-Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji, this guy is one of the most realistic characters I have ever seen in an anime
Oct 4, 2014 10:58 PM

Dec 2013
esdeath (though i like her) and half the snk characters. how on earth does sasha have over 1000 favourites?
Oct 4, 2014 11:40 PM

Apr 2014
The trap from Steins;Gate is underrated.
I can't help but fall for him when he first got introduced.
Oct 5, 2014 2:48 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
i thought UR/OR anime was unlocked for a second.....you people disappoint me

anyway UR: Usopp, people tend to hate him because they think he's annoying, but actually hes one of the funnier straw hats and is a well made character. His nose is very nice and is actually different to all the other cliche noses in anime. Hes definitely top tier
Oct 5, 2014 3:00 AM

Dec 2012
The first two examples are exactly what I had in mind when I said that, haha.

The third one is great too.
Oct 5, 2014 3:04 AM
Dec 2013
tsudecimo said:
DrGeroCreation said:
Underrated - [color=purple] [b] URD [/color] [/b]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GSxJtjE.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/znZTn5F.png[/MG]

Wow, she is really hot, even though I find those face drawings to be unattractive. But I typically find dark skinned anime characters to be extremely attractive.
Yeah i agree, but who doesn't?
Lol, i have never seen hate for dark-skinned females like ever. You just can't hate them and i can see why. *_*
Hana from Captain earth though. just saying, if she was white, she wouldn't be as attractive as she is brown. Same goes for the examples above!
Oct 19, 2014 4:16 PM
Dec 2013
Mikasa said:
justbob said:
Shikamaru- Naruto

One of the smartest ninja out of the Konaha 11 and develops from a lazy bastard to a strategist/leader

How is he smart again?

Iirc his smart moments were either very simple or just other characters lacking common sense in order to fall for his tricks.
You need to re-watch his fight with Hidan. One of the smartest ideas ever.

But I think Shikamaru's father is more underrated, he is the true genius and is a great leader. Wouldn't be surprise if he was ever a Hokage.
Oct 19, 2014 4:24 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah somehow take the blood of a ninja, place it on the attacking blade just as it hits and cut self to make it look like the attacked work. All the while expecting offender who is a professional killer to not notice the one thing he's doing -or the fucking test tube in shikamaru's hand, or whatever that was-, take him to the forest, wait for hidan to pin him down, expect him to perform a ritual instead of just killing him directly while he's down, and then wrap him up in shadow-paper-bomb things.

This shit inspires Fast and Furious movies.

How is this smart?!
End Zionazism
Oct 19, 2014 4:40 PM
Dec 2013
Mikasa said:
Yeah somehow take the blood of a ninja, place it on the attacking blade just as it hits and cut self to make it look like the attacked work. All the while expecting offender who is a professional killer to not notice the one thing he's doing -or the fucking test tube in shikamaru's hand, or whatever that was-, take him to the forest, wait for hidan to pin him down, expect him to perform a ritual instead of just killing him directly while he's down, and then wrap him up in shadow-paper-bomb things.

This shit inspires Fast and Furious movies.

How is this smart?!
Did his plan work? You answer that. He thoroughly analysed his opponent considering him being the target, took Hidan to the forest because also had an advantage where his shadows would work better. And if that fight doesn't make you happy, there are other examples :
Shikamaru vs Tayuya
Shikamaru vs Temari
Oct 19, 2014 4:48 PM

Mar 2012
This is some really stupid reasoning. Don't mean to be mean....

"He is smart because his plan worked"
Regardless of what the plan was, how complex it is, how much thought and trickery is put into it.

"Billy tricks an entire galaxy with a switcheroo, plan worked on all of them, because they have the IQ of a wet carrot, and because the author (Mikasa) said so, so it must mean Billy has genius-level intellect"

His 'plan' was heavily reliant on a lot of guessing, and little analysis.

Sure, tricking Hidan into wounding Kakuzu to the "Crushing" soundtrack was pretty fucking cool but it doesn't change the fact that the entire "plan" leading up to it was convenience just for the sake of fulfilling that one single cool idea that the author failed to execute thoroughly.
End Zionazism
May 7, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2015
I'm going to friggin bump this thread!

Overrated:
Kurisu Makise, she's the 2nd most favorited character here, how?? Other than smart, I don't find any appealing things of her, also she's not a super well explored character.

Hachiman Hikigaya, an edgy and also unexplored character, people only like him because they're either edgy, lazy or just pessimistic as their self insert. Can't even treat girls kindly, this attitude pisses me off.

Also I kinda agree with the OP, C.C is overrated.

And lastly, you guys already know who.

Yes, ACYKA LANGLEY SORYUU! Fuck this bith! Shes just a cancerous devil who can't solo even 1 angel yet still wanted to be treated better than Shinji, feels superior to Shinji and whines alot about it. That EoE scene? So what? Shinji did that better before. Deconstructing Tsundere? Oh pls, Taiga did better than her.

Underrated:
Shiki Ryougi, because she is the embodiment of Wuji itself. Taoism is really complex bruh.
Yuri Nakamura, the same goes to all charismatic leader female characters, we need more of them!
Kirei Kotomine, I barely see he got many fans here, he only seeks on his different way of pleasure and can justifies on why he is right.
Shirou Emiya, the deconstruction of Seigi no Mikata himself with a super complex characterizations. Duh do peeps nowadays still haven't READ THE FUCKING VN?
May 7, 2016 9:19 AM

Aug 2014
You said:
Yes, ACYKA LANGLEY SORYUU! Fuck this bith! Shes just a cancerous devil who can't solo even 1 angel yet still wanted to be treated better than Shinji, feels superior to Shinji and whines alot about it. That EoE scene? So what? Shinji did that better before. Deconstructing Tsundere? Oh pls, Taiga did better than her.

Underrated:
Kirei Kotomine, I barely see he got many fans here, he only seeks on his different way of pleasure and can justifies on why he is right.
Shirou Emiya, the deconstruction of Seigi no Mikata himself with a super complex characterizations. Duh do peeps nowadays still haven't READ THE FUCKING VN?
Mah man, good to see someone else getting it.

Asuka is definitely the devil herself, I felt bad for Shinji but couldn't feel any sympathy for this so called amazing character whatsoever. Not even her past really struck me as amazing or anything, and how people see her as "tsundere done right" is beyond me.

For Kirei, to be fair, HF is when he truly shines. You don't get to see the badassery incarnate until then, and VNs isn't that popular a medium anyway. Zero Kirei is cool overall, but still not someone who is noteworthy imo.
Shirou is...well the animes aren't all that great when it comes to properly characterize him, and beside that, lots of people seem to forget the point of the UBW anime anyway, so that one is understandable aswell.
May 7, 2016 9:25 AM

Apr 2014
Underrated : Jean from SnK.
This guy is responsible in making SnK an enjoyable series, his existence gave a new nuance to the series and gave a pretty good dynamic overall, if not for his existence SnK would be some plain boring monotone gorefest.
May 7, 2016 9:28 AM

Mar 2015
You said:
I'm going to friggin bump this thread!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!
good work bruh, let's go to work

Overrated:
Kurisu Makise, she's the 2nd most favorited character here, how?? Other than smart, I don't find any appealing things of her, also she's not a super well explored character.

Don't touch my waifu

10/10, @JKayW

Shiki Ryougi, because she is the embodiment of Wuji itself. Taoism is really complex bruh.
Yuri Nakamura, the same goes to all charismatic leader female characters, we need more of them!

10/10 again, needs more Shinji though.
May 7, 2016 9:35 AM

Jul 2013
tr1ckst3r said:
Underrated : Jean from SnK.
This guy is responsible in making SnK an enjoyable series, his existence gave a new nuance to the series and gave a pretty good dynamic overall, if not for his existence SnK would be some plain boring monotone gorefest.
Peach it. I don't think that SnK is bad, but Jean character was something that made me enjoy the series more. Too bad he gets overshadowed by other characters T_T

Oh, well, at least he has his own version of the opening :)
May 7, 2016 9:39 AM

Jun 2015
Overrated: Taiga from toradora. Awful annoying bratty tsundere. Stella from rakudai, same reason plus hardcore fanservice and cocksucking. Esdeath from akame ga kill, poor excuse of a villain. Ikki from rakudai, generic mc plus extra plot armor.

Underrated: Eiha from chaos dragon, tragic character who just wants to find meaning in life. Julis from asterisk,may be a tsundere but really shows some backbone and can be a badass at times,much tougher than most tsunderes. Adlet Mayer from rokka, amazing mc, quick thinking and has lots of skills. Hajime from gatchaman crowds, simply a genius, revolutionary character that changes people's perspective on things. Akari from chaika, badass af and uses a hammer, also has a hilarious personality.
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
May 7, 2016 9:58 AM

Apr 2015
jirachi3x said:
Overrated: Taiga from toradora. Awful annoying bratty tsundere.

I dislike tsundere but character wise, Taiga is the most well written tsundere I've ever seen. She depicts on how does tsundere in real life. I mean, a rl tsundere usually are those who comes for that kind of family background, and also she depicts that tsundere is actually a childish fear and denial behavior and when ones become mature, it will subsides. They later reconstruct tsundere in the series, which is great.
May 7, 2016 10:06 AM

Jun 2015
You said:
jirachi3x said:

I dislike tsundere but character wise, Taiga is the most well written tsundere I've ever seen. She depicts on how does tsundere in real life. I mean, a rl tsundere usually are those who comes for that kind of family background, and also she depicts that tsundere is actually a childish fear and denial behavior and when ones become mature, it will subsides. They later reconstruct tsundere in the series, which is great.
You said:
jirachi3x said:

She isnt one of the best. She is what is worng witht the archtype. She over exaggerates her role so badly. There is no person in real life who acts that bratty for a tsundere. Probably one of the worst written tsundere characters. Misaka from to aru is a much better example of a well written tsundere. The best tsundere characters are the ones who have tsundere as a personality trait and not as their entire character.
May 7, 2016 10:36 AM

Apr 2015
jirachi3x said:
You said:

You said:

She isnt one of the best. She is what is worng witht the archtype. She over exaggerates her role so badly. There is no person in real life who acts that bratty for a tsundere. Probably one of the worst written tsundere characters. Misaka from to aru is a much better example of a well written tsundere. The best tsundere characters are the ones who have tsundere as a personality trait and not as their entire character.

There is and Taiga have a legit reasonings to be so, which is:
May 7, 2016 11:07 AM

Aug 2014
jirachi3x said:
Stella from rakudai, same reason plus hardcore fanservice and cocksucking. Ikki from rakudai, generic mc plus extra plot armor.

Underrated: Eiha from chaos dragon, tragic character who just wants to find meaning in life. Adlet Mayer from rokka, amazing mc, quick thinking and has lots of skills.
Stella and Ikki? They don't have more than 600 and 500 faves respectively, it's not really that much in the first place. Additionally, I don't see people say "Stella and Ikki are such amazing character, some of the best ever" but rather "well they are ok characters who aren't that easy to hate for an ecchi/harem show", so I don't think they are overrated at all.

Eiha is a boring character. She is so obssessed with whatever the MC is named (Ibuki?), partly because of duty but also because of the promise she made with that loli I can't remember the name of. She doesn't have good development, and her backstory wasn't explored enough for me to consider her a tragic character that you just want to sympathize with. And I do like Adlet, but well he comes off a generic MC at first, so I can understand why not so many people would like him at first.
May 7, 2016 11:09 AM

Jun 2015
You said:
jirachi3x said:

I know that but like i said, she overexaggerated her role. They tried to bring up all this serious shit but completely ruined it by making her act unrealistic. Its clear they wanted to make her as tsun as possible just because people like that character trait. I might have actually taken her problems seriously if she was a realistic character but nope, you need to please the fans
May 7, 2016 11:13 AM

Apr 2015
jirachi3x said:
You said:

I know that but like i said, she overexaggerated her role. They tried to bring up all this serious shit but completely ruined it by making her act unrealistic. Its clear they wanted to make her as tsun as possible just because people like that character trait. I might have actually taken her problems seriously if she was a realistic character but nope, you need to please the fans

She isn't even the most tsun character.
May 7, 2016 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
Snappynator said:
jirachi3x said:
Stella from rakudai, same reason plus hardcore fanservice and cocksucking. Ikki from rakudai, generic mc plus extra plot armor.

Underrated: Eiha from chaos dragon, tragic character who just wants to find meaning in life. Adlet Mayer from rokka, amazing mc, quick thinking and has lots of skills.
Stella and Ikki? They don't have more than 600 and 500 faves respectively, it's not really that much in the first place. Additionally, I don't see people say "Stella and Ikki are such amazing character, some of the best ever" but rather "well they are ok characters who aren't that easy to hate for an ecchi/harem show", so I don't think they are overrated at all.

Eiha is a boring character. She is so obssessed with whatever the MC is named (Ibuki?), partly because of duty but also because of the promise she made with that loli I can't remember the name of. She doesn't have good development, and her backstory wasn't explored enough for me to consider her a tragic character that you just want to sympathize with. And I do like Adlet, but well he comes off a generic MC at first, so I can understand why not so many people would like him at first.

Well i actually have heardpeople say that about stella and ikki, and ive seen it a lot. Maybe we are just looking in different places
May 7, 2016 11:25 AM

Jun 2015
You said:
jirachi3x said:

The ending of toradora is what sealed the deal for me hating the series
May 7, 2016 11:34 AM

Apr 2015
jirachi3x said:
You said:

Why? its the best ending I can ever think
May 7, 2016 11:40 AM

Jul 2010
I don't find any appeal on Kanade Tachibana, I don't get why she is so loved, I don't even find her cute?? but she has way too many favorites.

About underrated characters, I wish Baccano characters could have more faves.
May 7, 2016 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
You said:
jirachi3x said:

The ending of toradora was an example of an ending trying to be original by doing different stuff when it never needed to. They elope, then come back, then Taiga leaves, then comes back. All this pointless stuff that could have been done much more simply and realistic. And the scene where Taiga pops out of the locker was corny and stupid af.
May 7, 2016 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
jirachi3x said:
You said:

The ending of toradora was an example of an ending trying to be original by doing different stuff when it never needed to. They elope, then come back, then Taiga leaves, then comes back. All this pointless stuff that could have been done much more simply and realistic. And the scene where Taiga pops out of the locker was corny and stupid af.

That's the way to show on how childish Taiga is, she is confused on what she should do on that condition, and that's pretty normal for a childish teen when they're on a condition that forced ones to be mature. That locker scene was intended to reconstruct the tsundere trope, which means it is okay even for a "mature" teen to be shy when wanting to meet her friends she didn't even contact when and during transfer. Tsunderes are basically a shy person but in heavy denial in their shyness and fear. They are usually childlike.
May 7, 2016 12:45 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Locked

This thread was necro'd from two years ago, and it probably should've been locked when the OLD O/U thread got trashed. Right now, this one'll be locked cuz it's mainly filled with old simple listing + spam. I'll consider remaking a new one and asking Luna, but for now it's locked.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - Yesterday

63 by AzafuseKingTora »»
43 seconds ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - 28 minutes ago

3 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

tappioca - 9 hours ago

63 by ZakuF_ »»
6 minutes ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

64 by Xenofight »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - 3 hours ago

19 by animegamer245 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.