Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2014 1:45 PM

Jun 2013
Pros:

The MC. This is one of the few mechas (that have a kid MC) who literally does not cry and whine when something goes bad. In fact, it might be the ONLY one. No emotion to deaths whatsoever. That is amazing. I love it.

The OST.

The visuals and production values were amazing as before.

The pacing is great, a lot of action and not much dragging.

The terran mech designs were cool. Not just the aesthetics, but the mechanics in particular. I like the leg wings, the daggers, the helm and visor design, and the overall grunt feel to them. Ground mechs are awesome so I'm glad they don't have super thrusters or anything.

The main characters all seem pretty interesting. They are all human. 99% of anime have completely fake acting/looking characters. I'm sorry, but nobody acts like your favorite anime character unless they are in a mental facility.

I love the color palette. They went for a more realistic and gritty atmosphere, and more believable characters. No pink hair girls or other otaku bullshit like that (yet).

Split half way between the Martian mechs. Some of the designs I like, but..

Cons:

The OST is cool but I just hope they don't keep repeating that one song every time something epic happens (the one played in the Martian ships breaking through the atmosphere in the 1st ep and again in this ep during the friend's death). It will get stale.

The "toying around" with your enemy trope is one I dislike. In some cases it works, as in when there's an incredibly mentally disturbed character, but in this case it was a general who should be serious and, above all, smart.

I like the CGI, but in 2 scenes in particular it just looked like the 3DCG mechs were pasted on top of the 2D background. I know that is literally what it is, but they could have disguised it better. Most of the scenes blended them in with the environment well, but a couple scenes felt like a bad 2002 film.

Hate everything about the big purple mech except for the head section. Everything else from the design to the mechanics can pretty much suck on my balls.

------------------

8/10 for the series overall so far.
Jul 12, 2014 1:47 PM
Jan 2013
I knew the princess will be alive and it looks like Slaine is from earth.
Jul 12, 2014 1:48 PM

Mar 2014
Well now we 100% know the princess didn't die I guess.
"Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?" - Dread Emperor Terribilis II

"I chose glory and success. The box did not contain what was written on the lid." - Sand dan Glokta
Jul 12, 2014 1:55 PM

Aug 2011
Loving the music so far...

Also did Yuki die or did she just get badly hurt?
Jul 12, 2014 1:55 PM

Oct 2013
well gg Okojo dam a lot happened this episode
Princess is still alive obv saw thsi coming after watching the first episode
that purple mech reminded me of a pimp mech jsut slapping people XD
decent episode a lot of action O_O
[/quote]
Jul 12, 2014 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
mechs are getting better,good background music during the fight

I like inaho a bit too much, its kinda rare to see this kind of character a lot. But I like his personality
Jul 12, 2014 2:01 PM

Sep 2013
I think everything is great so far, the action, the animation, especially the gorgeous soundtrack, the story and premise also have loads of potential but the only thing I don't like is the main protagonist. Yeah, it's great not to have a generic cry baby all the time, I also ignored his total lack of emotions in the first EP since I would have had reacted similar but now his "coolness" is getting a bit annoying. I enjoy his grey-haired twin brother more.

Otherwise, 5/5 for this episode. I enjoyed every minute, even watched the OP five times. Great stuff.
Jul 12, 2014 2:01 PM

Oct 2013
I hope they actually start spending time on the characters soon, but the action has been great the plot is promising; I'm pumped for the next episode.

Dat music
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Jul 12, 2014 2:02 PM

Mar 2013
I liked this episode. Opening is great. OST and that death reminded me of SnK.
Jul 12, 2014 2:05 PM

Oct 2007
I feel like Aniplex did there homework with Idaho. Its like what do people always bitch about with mecha shows and how can we convince people with the bare minimum effort that ours is better. Give him more nuance? Fuck that that's too much work let's make him just a robot with no personality at all since that way people can't bitch about him being whiny.

The fact that people think this is what passes for a good well conceived character so far just because he gives people none of their usual stupid shit to bitch over says it all. Aniplex knows their audience and how to at the very least keep the bitching early on. It also says a lot that the things people are praising so far are not anything like good characterization and nuance behind the conflict but the generic Sawano OST and the faux cool edgy factor the show tries to cram down the viewers throat.
Jul 12, 2014 2:12 PM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I feel like Aniplex did there homework with Idaho. Its like what do people always bitch about with mecha shows and how can we convince people with the bare minimum effort that ours is better. Give him more nuance? Fuck that that's too much work let's make him just a robot with no personality at all since that way people can't bitch about him being whiny.

The fact that people think this is what passes for a good well conceived character so far just because he gives people none of their usual stupid shit to bitch over says it all. Aniplex knows their audience and how to at the very least keep the bitching early on.

I don't think I've watched many Aniplex shows before. I like the MC because he is different, I had no doubt in my mind that we would get another emo protagonist when the school setting was shown. But I was happy to be wrong. I wouldn't say he's a robot, and I'd definitely argue he is more human than 90% of action/mecha anime characters, or even 99% if we are counting otaku/harem/ecchi shit. And this is coming from someone who likes Kamille, Amuro, etc.

In fact, one of my favorite things of 00 was Setsuna. Sure, he reacted to his friends' deaths, but he was mature, didn't bitch, and always kept a level head (outside of some heated battle scenes). In a lot of ways, Idaho is like Setsuna.

Call me a bad person but.. I'm actually not sure if I would cry for a friend's death. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, being completely honest. Maybe I'm a robot too.
ex_necrossJul 12, 2014 2:25 PM
Jul 12, 2014 2:14 PM

Jul 2013
Why didn't Inaho try harder to save his friend? It looked as if he was purposely losing his grip on his hand and didn't care at all. Surely, he could've used some kind of force to pull him back in. Although he has this indifferent attitude right now, I predict he'll has an unnecessary breakdown that'll throw everyone off.

Yes, I like the fact that he steers away from the typical whiny male characters we always get, but at least show some kind of emotion when necessary.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jul 12, 2014 2:16 PM
Aug 2008
from the phone call with his sister, the MC seems have mental problem.

she says someting like "remember what i say, you need to see your surrounding and think for yourself, then make decission based on that". She specifically says that the MC need to remember her instruction about how to act normal :/

childhood trauma, a bit of autism (actually its not called autism but i dont remember the term), or maybe a psychopath variant
Jul 12, 2014 2:36 PM

Jun 2014
If the kids work out a way to beat the enemy when the military might of earth couldn't then this'll be another drop for me.
Jul 12, 2014 2:48 PM
Dec 2013
Demi_V said:
Why didn't Inaho try harder to save his friend? It looked as if he was purposely losing his grip on his hand and didn't care at all. Surely, he could've used some kind of force to pull him back in. Although he has this indifferent attitude right now, I predict he'll has an unnecessary breakdown that'll throw everyone off.

Yes, I like the fact that he steers away from the typical whiny male characters we always get, but at least show some kind of emotion when necessary.

He's a time traveler. He's been through this before. Wouldn't be the first time Urobutcher pulled that.
Jul 12, 2014 2:54 PM

Mar 2014
Inaho reminds me more and more of what would happen if Oreki Houtarou was in an action anime lol. At least the princess is alive...
Jul 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Mar 2013
They're piling on the hammy villain sue way too hard this episode to try to get me to hate them. Hopefully that'll change soon. They can't possibly keep that up for 24 episodes, can they?

Also, minor point, but I don't like how the vehicle doesn't squat on it's rear suspension with the giant mech on the back, but meh...
Jul 12, 2014 2:59 PM
Jul 2011
lol you prepare 15 years for the invasion and none of your weapons work. nice...
Jul 12, 2014 3:01 PM
Nov 2011
I had high expectations for this one,but honestly it reeks of Guilty Crown level terribleness.
Jul 12, 2014 3:03 PM

Feb 2014
Okisuke-kuuuun!!! Okisuke-kuuun!!! Noooo!!!

Uh, I'm so glad that there WASN'T anything like that.

I really like characters so far and mainly Inaho. Finally someone refreshing and different from all those screaming freaks that go basically insane when they witness death or dramatic situation and think that shouting 50x one's name gonna help them.

back on topic, so far, so good. I'm wondering what is Princess going to do next. Will she try to contact Martians and get back? Or maybe if Inoha and others find out her identity will they abduct her and negotatie with Martians with Princess as their hostage?

With those questions on mind, I can't wait for next episode!
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jul 12, 2014 3:07 PM

May 2009
Well, OP spoiled Hase-kun voiced guy death, he wasn't present in it.
Jul 12, 2014 3:13 PM

Feb 2012
damn his friend died, his sister died? and he shows no emotion except were going to war... the princess &witness should start speaking up
Jul 12, 2014 3:16 PM

Feb 2013
idk, I don't mind if Inaho isn't the normal screaming for his friends guy, but can he at least show some emotion? Or does he have a form of autism?
Jul 12, 2014 3:19 PM

Nov 2013
OST is good.
Inaho needs to stop being so stoic.
Some mecha action.

Slaine > Inaho for now.
Jul 12, 2014 3:20 PM

Apr 2011
I predict that they will pull a twist in episode 3 - the MC will die in an incredibly dumb way due to his uber-aloofness.

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this show decently well so far, even though it's done little to differentiate itself from similar series yet.
LambdaDeltaGammaJul 12, 2014 3:29 PM
Jul 12, 2014 3:24 PM

Jan 2011
Chabe said:
If the kids work out a way to beat the enemy when the military might of earth couldn't then this'll be another drop for me.

Lets get real here :D Its anime :)

Get the pun?
Jul 12, 2014 3:28 PM

Jun 2012
Come on Inaho, show some concern!
If not for your dead "friend", at least for your own sister!
Jul 12, 2014 3:30 PM

Jul 2013
meh the animation isn't that good, and it is the typical mecha kind of battle, where the little bugs spend all their ammo in the enemie that has the new toy, and he doesn't get a siingle scratch
as many ppl said this has many things simillar to code geass, and although this show isn't doing so good, it manages to keep people interested and watching
Jul 12, 2014 3:30 PM

Mar 2009
Good episode... looking forward to the next one.
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Jul 12, 2014 3:36 PM

Jun 2013
retepeters said:
meh the animation isn't that good, and it is the typical mecha kind of battle, where the little bugs spend all their ammo in the enemie that has the new toy, and he doesn't get a siingle scratch
as many ppl said this has many things simillar to code geass, and although this show isn't doing so good, it manages to keep people interested and watching

?
The show is doing fine. It's just not an overhyped mess like SAO2 and Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga Kill.
Jul 12, 2014 3:36 PM

Oct 2012
An okay episode I guess. My only gripe is that Inaho is a bit too unrealistic. I mean his expression didn't even change when he saw okujo die. He may be those kinds of idealistic main characters. But seriously he feels like a robot devoid of any feelings and it makes it a bit uncomfortable to watch him.The rest was fine though.
Memories may fade, but that doesn't mean there isn't any point in making them.
Jul 12, 2014 3:37 PM

Oct 2007
ex_necross said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

The fact that people think this is what passes for a good well conceived character so far just because he gives people none of their usual stupid shit to bitch over says it all. Aniplex knows their audience and how to at the very least keep the bitching early on.

I don't think I've watched many Aniplex shows before. I like the MC because he is different, I had no doubt in my mind that we would get another emo protagonist when the school setting was shown. But I was happy to be wrong. I wouldn't say he's a robot, and I'd definitely argue he is more human than 90% of action/mecha anime characters, or even 99% if we are counting otaku/harem/ecchi shit. And this is coming from someone who likes Kamille, Amuro, etc.

In fact, one of my favorite things of 00 was Setsuna. Sure, he reacted to his friends' deaths, but he was mature, didn't bitch, and always kept a level head (outside of some heated battle scenes). In a lot of ways, Idaho is like Setsuna.

Call me a bad person but.. I'm actually not sure if I would cry for a friend's death. In fact, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, being completely honest. Maybe I'm a robot too.

Setsuna had good reasons for why he is the way he was and it formed a core part of the framework of the show along with his and his comrades journey. I can only hope the same came ne said for Inaho in the end though with half the length of time that Gundam 00 had its going to be tricky.
Jul 12, 2014 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
lonelyintrovert said:
An okay episode I guess. My only gripe is that Inaho is a bit too unrealistic. I mean his expression didn't even change when he saw okujo die. He may be those kinds of idealistic main characters. But seriously he feels like a robot devoid of any feelings and it makes it a bit uncomfortable to watch him.The rest was fine though.

Because most anime characters are realistic. Like I said before, nobody acts like your average anime character outside of the mental hospital. Inaho is more realistic than 99% of anime characters. Actually, everyone in this series seems very human.

Kaioshin_Sama said:

Setsuna had good reasons for why he is the way he was and it formed a core part of the framework of the show along with his and his comrades journey. I can only hope the same came ne said for Inaho in the end though with half the length of time that Gundam 00 had its going to be tricky.

24 episodes seems long enough. Setsuna's character was pretty much established within the first 18 or so episodes. By the time the Trinity gang was introduced, we pretty much knew Setsuna through and through.
Jul 12, 2014 3:39 PM

May 2013
Pretty solid episode. Although I do have some worries that we won't be seeing any real 'human' characters on the side of the Martians other than Slaine and the not dead princess -- the rest seem like a mass of mustache twirling racist sadists. With all the Gundam parallels we've been seeing so far it's hard to believe they'd drop the moral grays of that series in favor of a more black and white conflict. If you're going to lift shit from Gundam make sure to lift the compelling bits as well.

Also, not too crazy about the emotionless male lead. They've so far got a nice defined cast of personalities and for some reason decide to make the least interesting one the protagonist. Why do you do these things anime? :T
Jul 12, 2014 3:40 PM

May 2014
As much as I like my silly action and explosions, it is baseless and hollow, evaporating any tension or drama there is, I'm just watching it for the directing and pretty visuals.
It's well done, the illusion of tension is there, but it's so flimsy I can't immerse myself as I want. The characters aren't sympathetic in any way, there's no feeling of a war setting, just forced drama on you, which again doesn't work without affectionate characters, of which there are none. And the cartoony antagonists are SO good for any serious war drama, and ofc Inoha still being the PTSD kid.

3/5 - OK, again.
T3hSourceJul 12, 2014 3:44 PM
Jul 12, 2014 3:41 PM

Feb 2014
TheNextChamp said:
idk, I don't mind if Inaho isn't the normal screaming for his friends guy, but can he at least show some emotion? Or does he have a form of autism?

Screaming isn't by any means "normal". Just japanese anime creators like to use this to make scenes more dramatic and desperate because they don't know any better.

If compared to real life, a lot of people tend to not show their real emotions on the surface but bury them deep within. If any tragic or dramatic situation occured, they would be mostly stunned, confused, not capable of immediately grasping the situation in front them fully or immersed in anger.

I'm not excluding that one may react by shouting and screaming but how they usually perform and time it in anime is purely pathetic and awkward. As example you can take any tier 2 anime with drama tag or some shonen battles.
slovak125Jul 12, 2014 3:45 PM

there, Holyland exists.
Jul 12, 2014 3:43 PM

Jun 2008
Adair said:
Loving the music so far...

Also did Yuki die or did she just get badly hurt?

She is alive but hurt.

Anyway 15 years and Terrans havent developped a better tecnology? And the princess seems pretty powerless. Im sensing a love triangle.
Anyway I feel sorry for Slaine...watching his people die.
I believe that Inaho displayed for the first time an emotion: when his friend died he decided to fight. Also what I like about Inaho:
- He didnt scream like the typical MC watching his sister get owned.
- He is calm cool and collected, qualities you need in a leader and mostly, in a war.
- He didnt say he was fighting alone like the typical mc -i can do everything by myself bla bla-. He included his friends in his plan.
He said "let's fight, its our turn now", so he is counting in his friends to fight alongside him even though he doesnt want to put them in danger but he knows how to evaluate the situation pretty well: they need to fight or they'll die.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Jul 12, 2014 3:47 PM

Mar 2010
All the suspense was gone after about 5 minutes of this episode when I realized that there's no way Terran real robots can beat Martian super robots. So unless Japan have some Gundam super prototypes stashed away I don't see any possible "war" happening. So far it's a disaster survival show where martian super robots play the role of the disaster.

Okisuke's death seemed relatively painless as he got evaporated pretty quick so he's got that going for him which is (kinda) nice.

I lie Inaho's reactions to everything. Kinda change of pace from typical whiny mech pilots from Gundam although I hope there's gonna be some character development for him later in the show. Although the almost guaranteed love triangle between him,the princess and Slaine is going to be annoying
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jul 12, 2014 3:50 PM

Nov 2013
WhisperBit said:
All the suspense was gone after about 5 minutes of this episode when I realized that there's no way Terran real robots can beat Martian super robots. So unless Japan have some Gundam super prototypes stashed away I don't see any possible "war" happening. So far it's a disaster survival show where martian super robots play the role of the disaster.
Or the knights turn against each other and our highscool kids take advantage of the situation or something.

WhisperBit said:
Okisuke's death seemed relatively painless as he got evaporated pretty quick so he's got that going for him which is (kinda) nice.
This made me laugh out loud. Okay I'm a horrible human.
Jul 12, 2014 3:51 PM

Jul 2014
didn't like the story so far, but the intense pressure keeping me awake from watching this.

and the enemy is too overpower -_-

is there miracle or divine power in this series?
a dual-sword wielder, fire element in right arm and ice element in left arm
Jul 12, 2014 3:53 PM

Mar 2013
Orulyon said:
Anyway 15 years and Terrans havent developped a better tecnology?

Not that it makes for good writing, but it's not that surprising, is it?

Boeing, General Dynamics and North American began design studies for what would become the B-1 in 1963; the Rockwell B-1A finally entered service in 1986, 23 years later.

The USAF issued a requirement for an Advanced Tactical Fighter in 1981. In 2005 the F-22 entered service, 24 years later. Granted the fall of the USSR got in the way but with complicated military hardware, long, expensive, protracted development cycles are the norm.
fstJul 12, 2014 3:57 PM
Jul 12, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2011
Wooo~ I think I wet my pants a few times, love the difference in power (Gundams vs everything else) and that OST..... chills :D
Jul 12, 2014 3:55 PM

Apr 2011
Botato said:
WhisperBit said:
Or the knights turn against each other and our highscool kids take advantage of the situation or something.

Orrr the entire series is just the Terrans slowly and inevitably getting wiped out. What a hilariously tragic subversion of everyone's expectations that would be, haha.
Jul 12, 2014 3:55 PM

Mar 2014
soo at the end even the assault was martian's plan!!! I want their butt kicked
butt their robots are to OP (is like the Gundams in 00 but with steroids) well,
I want to see what the princess is gonna to do next (come back to the martian
side or stay/help the Earthlings).
Jul 12, 2014 4:00 PM

Nov 2013
LambdaDeltaGamma said:
Botato said:

Orrr the entire series is just the Terrans slowly and inevitably getting wiped out. What a hilariously tragic subversion of everyone's expectations that would be, haha.
Considering this is Trollobutcher we're talking about, that's not a far fetched speculation at all actually.
Jul 12, 2014 4:04 PM

Feb 2014
Botato said:
LambdaDeltaGamma said:

Considering this is Trollobutcher we're talking about, that's not a far fetched speculation at all actually.

How did he earn that nickname? :D

there, Holyland exists.
Jul 12, 2014 4:06 PM
Jul 2013
The OST and the feels of people dead.

Good episode, but I don't like how Inaho is so fucking calm after all the bullshit he's been through.
Jul 12, 2014 4:08 PM

Mar 2013
slovak125 said:
Botato said:

He didn't. Nobody calls him that.
Jul 12, 2014 4:08 PM

Nov 2013
slovak125 said:
Botato said:

Madoka Magica Rebellion. 'Nuff said.

fst said:
He didn't. Nobody calls him that.
I do.
Jul 12, 2014 4:09 PM

Sep 2013
Decent episode. I'm not expecting very much from the next episode, seeing where this is currently going, but the action was entertaining, so I'll keep watching for sure.

6/10 for this ep.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.