Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sailor Moon Eternal Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 4, 2014 5:39 AM

Jan 2013
Is there really any more hope that this isn't just Toei attempting to milk another of their old franchises?

After the Mediocre Captain Harlock movie (despite how awesome it looked) I had assumed Toei would stop pooping on their old franchises, but it looks like Sailor Moon is next.

Weak Director, Weak Staff, and now (and yes I know its just one scene) they reveal a weak low budget looking CGI transformation scene.

At this point I'm convinced this is just a giant cash grab. Multiple delays and attempts to disguise what the premise was going to be also dont help.

I am genuinely interested in how others feel, but I don't want this to turn into some kind of flame war.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2014 6:05 AM

Mar 2014
I agree the cgi wasn't that good.

Jul 4, 2014 6:19 AM

Apr 2009
>At this point I'm convinced this is just a giant cash grab.

Well, you said it yourself. I really wish it was something different, but all signs point to a lazy cash in.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 4, 2014 6:20 AM

Jan 2013
Nidhoeggr said:

Well, you said it yourself. I really wish it was something different, but all signs point to a lazy cash in.

Considering Gatchaman, Harlock, and Sailor Moon have all been cashed on, I'm honestly wondering what is next.
Jul 4, 2014 9:23 AM
Jun 2011
SolviteSekai said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Considering Gatchaman, Harlock, and Sailor Moon have all been cashed on, I'm honestly wondering what is next.
actully in the ending credits i could sew that Yamaoka Naoko work on animation which is the best animatori seen
Jul 4, 2014 9:52 AM

Jan 2011
it cant be that bad compared to what Toei did to Saint Seiya Omega
Jul 4, 2014 10:47 AM

Nov 2011
Dunno what you see bad about it. I think the staff is awesome. Although I could have picked 2 other better music composers and that's just because Takanashi is my 3rd favorite. I love the voice actors, especially rooting to hear Makoto, fucking amazing choice. And people I heard were actually saying the animation looks very good, and I think that too, not even mentioning what the old one looked like. Characters look graceful and that's the essence of Sailor Moon.
Jul 4, 2014 10:49 AM

Jan 2013
Morridine said:
Dunno what you see bad about it. I think the staff is awesome. Although I could have picked 2 other better music composers and that's just because Takanashi is my 3rd favorite. I love the voice actors, especially rooting to hear Makoto, fucking amazing choice. And people I heard were actually saying the animation looks very good, and I think that too, not even mentioning what the old one looked like. Characters look graceful and that's the essence of Sailor Moon.

I love the character designs.

However, the music is literally copy pasted from Precure, and the Director is a complete hack.

The chances of this show being legitimately good are fairly low.

I assume people will still try and make excuses for it though, out of embarassment for openly hyping it pre release.
Jul 4, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2008
SolviteSekai said:

However, the music is literally copy pasted from Precure, and the Director is a complete hack.

I assume people will still try and make excuses for it though, out of embarassment for openly hyping it pre release.

I can agree about the music. It is very Precure like.

However, since it is going to be based on the manga and not going to be on the monster of the week train, I can say that it will be good... enough. Besides, this anime is essentially for the Sailor Moon fans. I hardly expect a surge of new anime fans to appear like the old show initiated. I would not call it a failure, really.

In conclusion, is it a cash cow? Maybe. But you know what, it's a miracle that a 22 year old manga gets a chance to be remade with better technology. I expect it to be better than the 90s anime. That's all I'm asking for.
Jul 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Jan 2013
NanoZero said:
SolviteSekai said:

I can agree about the music. It is very Precure like.

However, since it is going to be based on the manga and not going to be on the monster of the week train, I can say that it will be good... enough. Besides, this anime is essentially for the Sailor Moon fans. I hardly expect a surge of new anime fans to appear like the old show initiated. I would not call it a failure, really.

In conclusion, is it a cash cow? Maybe. But you know what, it's a miracle that a 22 year old manga gets a chance to be remade with better technology. I expect it to be better than the 90s anime. That's all I'm asking for.

Plenty of shows get made to follow the manga and then suck because of bad direction.

Its actually really common.

Edit:

It might seem like i want sailor moon to fail. This isnt true. I just want it to see the love it deserves.
Jul 4, 2014 1:09 PM

Jun 2014
of course it's a cash grab
Jul 4, 2014 1:11 PM

Jan 2013
SaintD4nny said:

We'll all i expected from this was a slight face lift with a bit better story. Kind of like FMA:B.

But what it looks like we are getting is leftover music from precure, transformations that look like precure, and a director who worked.... on precure.
Jul 4, 2014 1:15 PM

May 2008
SolviteSekai said:
Plenty of shows get made to follow the manga and then suck because of bad direction.

Edit:

It might seem like i want sailor moon to fail. This isnt true. I just want it to see the love it deserves.

I'm talking about the ones that had an anime already years ago. Those are not so common. Many are in need of remakes, such as Rurouni Kenshin (All of it, not just arcs) and Soul Eater.

But hey, if the only things we can complain about is the music, cgi and the biweekly releases, then I guess it can't be too bad, right?
Jul 4, 2014 1:18 PM

Jun 2014
we are gonna go hollywood style and remake everything
Jul 4, 2014 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
NanoZero said:
SolviteSekai said:

Edit:

I'm talking about the ones that had an anime already years ago. Those are not so common. Many are in need of remakes, such as Rurouni Kenshin (All of it, not just arcs) and Soul Eater.

But hey, if the only things we can complain about is the music, cgi and the biweekly releases, then I guess it can't be too bad, right?

The director is the biggest red flag, but hey, you never know.

I'd be all over a kenshin remake.
Jul 4, 2014 2:11 PM

Apr 2007
I think one of the big issues with the new show is that, while we might like to think that this remake is some sort of reward for the long-suffering fans, it's really not.

When this airs tomorrow, it will be the first new SM animation in almost 17.5 years. Unlike FMA:B, which clearly targeted some of the fans of the first series, this one, despite its odd airing arrangement, appears to a fairly high degree to be looking toward drawing in a new generation as customers. Kids with little to no preexisting notions of how it should look or feel, or that it should be be any different than Precure, which they're familiar with. The similar time gap between the first two Star Wars trilogies provided a lot of the same feelings.

For me, it is disappointing that, at least at this point, it seems that with a bit more effort/money Toei could have satisfied both groups by avoiding the obvious "cutting corners", but that's Toei for you, and Sakai has worked on Toei's One Piece assembly line long enough to realize how to cut costs. It's one of those irritating "Oh, but they were so close!" long-term-fan moments that mean absolutely nothing to a seven-year-old girl watching a clutz transform to a princess for the first time.

The real test, personally, is how well they adapt the manga and preserve the characterizations, which we can fully comment upon a year from now. Until then, I'll try to reserve judgment.

This is going to be a ride.
Jul 4, 2014 7:40 PM
Jul 2012
I think this ties into people's feelings about things that are "close enough but not exact." Humans have a tendency to get a lot more agitated about things that are *almost* what they wanted but not EXACTLY what they wanted.

And so, people are happy that Sailor Moon is getting a fresh look, will have better quality animation, will stick closer to the manga, etc. But because it's not EXACTLY what they want, they're more inclined to be argumentative over it. (I really do not like the CGI stuff. Like, at all. Though, to be fair, it's the obvious distinction that we, as an audience, can see between the CGI and 2D animation that is jarring and likely upsetting to most. It certainly is to me.)

Look at basically any dogmatic disagreement within a religion. These people are disagreeing about the fine points while still accepting the main premise. Their passion is tied to the notion of the other side being *almost* like them but just not quite exactly the same. And this irritates people tremendously.

So we can worry or whine as much as we want, we're gonna get whatever they give us whether we like it or not. Some of us are just setting higher or lower expectations in the hopes that it'll soothe the ache whichever way it goes.
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Jul 4, 2014 10:53 PM

Jan 2013
veluriel said:
I think this ties into people's feelings about things that are "close enough but not exact." Humans have a tendency to get a lot more agitated about things that are *almost* what they wanted but not EXACTLY what they wanted.

And so, people are happy that Sailor Moon is getting a fresh look, will have better quality animation, will stick closer to the manga, etc. But because it's not EXACTLY what they want, they're more inclined to be argumentative over it. (I really do not like the CGI stuff. Like, at all. Though, to be fair, it's the obvious distinction that we, as an audience, can see between the CGI and 2D animation that is jarring and likely upsetting to most. It certainly is to me.)

Look at basically any dogmatic disagreement within a religion. These people are disagreeing about the fine points while still accepting the main premise. Their passion is tied to the notion of the other side being *almost* like them but just not quite exactly the same. And this irritates people tremendously.

So we can worry or whine as much as we want, we're gonna get whatever they give us whether we like it or not. Some of us are just setting higher or lower expectations in the hopes that it'll soothe the ache whichever way it goes.

Theres no real proof that it will follow the manga, aside from Toei saying it will.
Jul 5, 2014 2:10 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Giant cash grab. It's constantly about Sailor Moon merchandise here and the past months.
Jul 5, 2014 3:24 AM
Sep 2007
Why are people always and always complaining about CG?

In the end, we should be grateful we are getting anything at all, since Toei is doing well even with only other titles.

Also, I believe this new Sailor Moon anime will be at very least better than most of "ordinary highschool boy" clones we are getting these days.
Jul 5, 2014 3:43 AM

Jul 2011
Psajdak said:

In the end, we should be grateful we are getting anything at all, since Toei is doing well even with only other titles.

Also, I believe this new Sailor Moon anime will be at very least better than most of "ordinary highschool boy" clones we are getting these days.

I agree completely. Although I am kind of sad that I'll have to wait two weeks for each episode, I am just ecstatic to have the honor of watching a remake, with new art, and everything else! My all time fav anime, I would not hesitate to watch anything new/remake or whatnot~
Jul 5, 2014 4:30 AM

Jan 2010
SolviteSekai said:
SaintD4nny said:

We'll all i expected from this was a slight face lift with a bit better story. Kind of like FMA:B.

But what it looks like we are getting is leftover music from precure, transformations that look like precure, and a director who worked.... on precure.

FMA:B had horrible music compared to the first series but was saved by the superior story and character development.

I am thinking that with the transformations it will all look a bit different and more polished when they do the full senshi transform but maybe i am just being optimistic.
Jul 5, 2014 4:36 AM

Oct 2011
SolviteSekai said:
SaintD4nny said:

so more of Precure... how is that supposed to be bad thing? manga wasn't best thing if I recall, so additions would be good.

also MAL Detectives found that Toei/Bandai did it for cash, almost like they were a company or something. how could they?!
Jul 5, 2014 6:40 AM

Jan 2013
Psajdak said:

You don't have to "be grateful" when you are a consumer.

There is no such thing as consumer entitlement.

If Toei wants to stay in business they have to make their customers happy.
Jul 5, 2014 10:16 AM

Aug 2007
Well, de CGI is really not as amazing of other works that I saw of toei, I mean, precure endings have better CGI (and I think saint seiya movie has better).

And yes, I hate the biweekle release of each episode. I still believe that Toei don't have too much interesnt on Sailor Moon, considering that is one of the best franquise (and one that sells a lot of toys and merchindise).
Jul 5, 2014 1:11 PM

Oct 2011
minimiau said:
Well, de CGI is really not as amazing of other works that I saw of toei, I mean, precure endings have better CGI (and I think saint seiya movie has better).

And yes, I hate the biweekle release of each episode. I still believe that Toei don't have too much interesnt on Sailor Moon, considering that is one of the best franquise (and one that sells a lot of toys and merchindise).
I'm not sure if it does actualy - there has been new stuff added because of new series and anniversary. But does it really sell that much stuff nowadays?

I don't see it in Bandai financial statements (from what I've read they do some SM:C merchandise) and it's not even in TV which might limit potential audience. Kind of weird attitude but well they probably know what to do and either way get a lot of money from Precure and Aikatsu (in this case only Bandai).
Jul 5, 2014 1:49 PM

Jul 2012
Wish they would also get a new seiyuu for Usagi. That's the only other thing bugging me.
Jul 5, 2014 3:59 PM
Mar 2014
did'nt see this thread coming
Jul 5, 2014 5:58 PM

Apr 2008
I'm gonna tell ya this now, because even Takeuchi totally criticized her work.

If the first ep was too strange to you, drop it now. Because if it's going the manga way, it's going to be about the light and squishy lovey dovey mushy stuff.
Jul 5, 2014 8:41 PM

Aug 2013
Wtf is it really biweekly? It's 26 episodes why is that a thing?
Jul 5, 2014 11:24 PM

Sep 2013
Well.. Speaking as a person who never actually watched the original beginning to end due to hearing that it was loaded to the brim with filler... I actually liked the first episode a lot.

I mean okay, the 3dCG transformation sequence was pretty bad looking, but while it is too long, it still doesn't take up much of the episode.

The new art style adds more flare and originality, I actually like it a lot, and besides the 3dCG moments, it looks spectacular to me.

I can't fully judge it yet, due to there only being 1 episode so far, but honestly... I don't see the difference between this and FMA:B in terms of bringing back an old series. FMA:B had 3dCGI sometimes too, but that wasn't what was important, what is important is story and characters, animation and music are the least important things to an anime. They can add flare, or atmosphere, but as long as the story and characters are good, then I don't really see the problem.
Jul 6, 2014 3:14 PM

Jan 2013
Keten said:
Well.. Speaking as a person who never actually watched the original beginning to end due to hearing that it was loaded to the brim with filler... I actually liked the first episode a lot.

I mean okay, the 3dCG transformation sequence was pretty bad looking, but while it is too long, it still doesn't take up much of the episode.

The new art style adds more flare and originality, I actually like it a lot, and besides the 3dCG moments, it looks spectacular to me.

I can't fully judge it yet, due to there only being 1 episode so far, but honestly... I don't see the difference between this and FMA:B in terms of bringing back an old series. FMA:B had 3dCGI sometimes too, but that wasn't what was important, what is important is story and characters, animation and music are the least important things to an anime. They can add flare, or atmosphere, but as long as the story and characters are good, then I don't really see the problem.

There wasnt much story either.
Jul 6, 2014 3:18 PM

Sep 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Well I mean, there's only been 1 episode so far and it was an introductory one. Plus I wasn't saying "IT'S GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS FMA:B" Just that the way it was readapted was the same more or less.
Jul 6, 2014 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
Keten said:
SolviteSekai said:

Well I mean, there's only been 1 episode so far and it was an introductory one. Plus I wasn't saying "IT'S GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS FMA:B" Just that the way it was readapted was the same more or less.

FMA:B was made with the intent of being a good anime.

This shows entire design screams that they did the bare minimum to trick Sailor Moon fans into buying it.
Jul 6, 2014 3:28 PM

Sep 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Keten said:

This shows entire design screams that they did the bare minimum to trick Sailor Moon fans into buying it.

Well I guess it's a good thing I never watched the show a lot as a kid then.

I do kind of see what you mean, but if it is still a good show, I don't really see the problem with that. I mean, it's still an adaption that takes out all the filler, so that's good right? It's not like they are just remaking the exact same show that was released before in every single way and just giving it new animation.
Jul 6, 2014 3:29 PM

Jan 2013
Keten said:
SolviteSekai said:

Well I guess it's a good thing I never watched the show a lot as a kid then.

I do kind of see what you mean, but if it is still a good show, I don't really see the problem with that. I mean, it's still an adaption that takes out all the filler, so that's good right? It's not like they are just remaking the exact same show that was released before in every single way and just giving it new animation.

But its not a good show.

Merely having the same story as the manga does not make a show good.

An adaptation SHOULD follow the manga.

Following the manga is not a good point. It is an expected point that should exist anyway.
Jul 6, 2014 3:32 PM

Sep 2013
SolviteSekai said:

But its not a good show.

Following the manga is not a good point. It is an expected point that should exist anyway.

But by that logic.. doesn't that mean that while this show is bad, you think the original is even worse since while it did follow the manga it had like 50 extra episodes of filler? Thus despite saying this show is bad it's still technically better than the original, thus there was indeed a point to it? o.o
Jul 6, 2014 3:37 PM

Jan 2013
Keten said:
SolviteSekai said:

But its not a good show.

But by that logic.. doesn't that mean that while this show is bad, you think the original is even worse since while it did follow the manga it had like 50 extra episodes of filler? Thus despite saying this show is bad it's still technically better than the original, thus there was indeed a point to it? o.o

This isnt better than the original.

Thats the sad part.
Jul 6, 2014 3:41 PM

Sep 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Keten said:

Thats the sad part.

Yes, but, why is the original superior I guess is what I am asking. I didn't watch it so I need you to tell me. Well if you want I suppose, I guess you don't HAVE to, but I can't really say anything otherwise. xD

Also, how can you say that when there is only ONE episode out so far o.o
Jul 6, 2014 3:44 PM

Jan 2013
Keten said:
SolviteSekai said:

Thats the sad part.

Yes, but, why is the original superior I guess is what I am asking. I didn't watch it so I need you to tell me. Well if you want I suppose, I guess you don't HAVE to, but I can't really say anything otherwise. xD

Also, how can you say that when there is only ONE episode out so far o.o

Yeah, maybe in 2 months when 4 more episodes are out we will know for sure.
Jul 6, 2014 3:47 PM

Sep 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Yeah, maybe in 2 months when 4 more episodes are out we will know for sure.

Ya, not gonna lie, that is kind of annoying that it's bi-weekly. xD Gonna take an entire year for it to finish.
Jul 8, 2014 5:43 PM
Feb 2008
i'm surprised I haven't heard more people complaining about bi-weekly releases tbh. I'm PISSED about it. Honestly, I would rather wait an extra year and have it be a weekly release, it's a real slap in the face to fans when it's already been delayed for over a year already.
Jul 8, 2014 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
Biweekly is fine by me since it means getting the episodes (animation, etc) just right. Though I think criticizing Act 1 (the introductory episode) is a bit too early to tell how the series will go.

Plus, the Japanese Bluray goodies are already hinting Crystal will be both the Dark Kingdom and Black Moon arcs: http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25205

Time will tell.
Jul 8, 2014 11:22 PM

Jan 2013
SailorStarDust said:
Biweekly is fine by me since it means getting the episodes (animation, etc) just right. Though I think criticizing Act 1 (the introductory episode) is a bit too early to tell how the series will go.

Plus, the Japanese Bluray goodies are already hinting Crystal will be both the Dark Kingdom and Black Moon arcs: http://www.sailormoonforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=25205

Time will tell.

This isn't how it works. This isn't a long running series. The show is finished. It is biweekly for other reasons.
Jul 8, 2014 11:24 PM
Mar 2011
SailorStarDust said:

Time will tell.

hes just bais agatest mainstream prime time anime
-------------------------------
justice for the 21
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 9, 2014 12:02 AM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
SailorStarDust said:

Time will tell.

justice for the 21

No i'm not. Dont make baseless accusations.
Jul 9, 2014 12:04 AM
Mar 2011
SolviteSekai said:
FGAU1912 said:

justice for the 21

No i'm not. Dont make baseless accusations.

your one of the crowd of mal
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 9, 2014 3:55 AM

Oct 2009
DrawnIntoIt88 said:
i'm surprised I haven't heard more people complaining about bi-weekly releases tbh. I'm PISSED about it. Honestly, I would rather wait an extra year and have it be a weekly release, it's a real slap in the face to fans when it's already been delayed for over a year already.

Yeah I'm disappointed that it's a biweekly release too. At this rate, it's going to finish airing at the end of spring next year. :/
Jul 9, 2014 4:05 PM
Feb 2008
Longer, it'll take an entire year 52 weeks/26 eps. UGH. Even if it is the first two arcs this is still BS.
Jul 9, 2014 6:30 PM

Jul 2012
galimx said:
mayukachan said:
Wish they would also get a new seiyuu for Usagi. That's the only other thing bugging me.

It's the same VA like in old version. But it doesn't really work well with this modern face-expression Usagi design. Also a little different voice because of years.

I would love if all voice actors were the same. I really miss the VA for Mamoru and Luna. The new ones doesn't fit.

Oh, I know it's her old VA. That's whats bugging me. She aged and she sounds different than what she used to sound like. It's hard to sound all moe at such an old age.

As a new-Sailor-Moon watcher, everyone else's voices fit well.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - May 2, 2015

41 by Eziprez »»
Feb 24, 7:25 PM

» Am I the only one who finds Sailor Moon more "traditionally girly" than Tokyo Mew Mew?

removed-user - Jan 18

1 by a0t3a »»
Jan 19, 2:38 AM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 25 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2015

40 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 2, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2015

37 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:15 PM

Poll: » Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2015

32 by Joca_skljoca024 »»
Jan 1, 2:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.