Jul 20, 2014 4:53 AM
Jan 2013
Nyu so wen will new moderator come??
Jul 20, 2014 5:46 AM

Mar 2013
Frost_Kiss said:
Kineta said:
Thank you to everyone who applied or attempted the questions. Please give me at least a week to process the applications. I will be sending you the "solutions" to your "test", probably before the final decision. So expect to hear from me soon!

That message was written 6 days ago. In other words, the applications will be processed in 1 day or more. Furthermore, the decision on who to pick on the team will be done after the solutions are given, meaning that one more step will have to come in between.

Therefore, it is all speculations as all three actions weren't given the exact time, but expect the moderators to be set and introduced in a week or two from now, maybe even three.
Jul 20, 2014 6:06 AM
Jan 2013
Subpyro said:
Frost_Kiss said:
Kineta said:
Thank you to everyone who applied or attempted the questions. Please give me at least a week to process the applications. I will be sending you the "solutions" to your "test", probably before the final decision. So expect to hear from me soon!

That message was written 6 days ago. In other words, the applications will be processed in 1 day or more. Furthermore, the decision on who to pick on the team will be done after the solutions are given, meaning that one more step will have to come in between.

Therefore, it is all speculations as all three actions weren't given the exact time, but expect the moderators to be set and introduced in a week or two from now, maybe even three.

Nyu, I forgot dat all the ppl time r different. Here, it's 21th :P
Jul 20, 2014 6:36 AM

Mar 2013
Frost_Kiss said:
Nyu, I forgot dat all the ppl time r different. Here, it's 21th :P

I believe it really doesn't matter. As said, the applications will be processed in one day or more. This might sound a little bit rude, but do expect that "or more" to be the case. ;) In other words, try not looking at the horizon when they'll appear. They'll come when they'll come. In all honesty, there is no hurry. Haste tends to bring holes, and long-term looking, we wouldn't want those, would we?
SubbedJul 20, 2014 6:42 AM
Jul 20, 2014 7:08 AM

Oct 2009
Frost_Kiss said:

Kineta said:
Please give me at least a week to process the applications.

Which means it may be few weeks, months, years
Kineta said:
The extension for these specific applications will be until Friday, February 14, 2014 at 23:59 Pacific Time.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=745107&show=120#msg28414293
05-02-14, 12:14 AM

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1163561

It took more than 2 and a half months last time
SerhiykoJul 20, 2014 7:11 AM
Jul 20, 2014 8:23 AM

Jun 2013
It doesn't really matter how long, willing to wait.

At least they're not rushing it or anything.

I actually lost electricity for 5 days (typhoon issues) and it kind of bothered because I thought that Kineta might announce it earlier than usual and I'm not there to know, but now it's all right.
Jul 22, 2014 3:41 AM

Jun 2014
It makes me really sad that people under 17 can't apply. Or I would have. T.T
Jul 22, 2014 4:28 AM

Mar 2013
HitgirlPlatinum said:

If you would have told that you are under 17 in your application but still show dedication and knowledge on the matter, you could have still been accepted, or at least noted.
Jul 22, 2014 5:30 PM
Aug 2013
so when are the results coming its been a week :/
Jul 22, 2014 11:03 PM

Oct 2009
pokeguy123 said:

Jul 23, 2014 1:19 AM

Dec 2012
I expect the mod position soon.

Jul 23, 2014 3:26 AM

Dec 2012
HitgirlPlatinum said:

Huh? What do you mean??

EDIT: nevermind, I went and read it. I skipped that sentence... Well I'm 17 so it doesn't matter
Jul 23, 2014 6:33 AM

Mar 2013
-Turnip- said:
I expect the mod position soon.

Kineta: Last Online: 07-18-14, 11:10 AM (GMT +2)

If she has exported all her inbox in a txt file or something, maybe.
SubbedJul 23, 2014 9:11 AM
Jul 23, 2014 8:46 AM

Sep 2011
pokeguy123 said:
Kina was away for a while and just came back so yeah...
Jul 23, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2013
Tyrel said:

Still hasn't logged on the site, though.

Edit: Here she is! *Kanra-styled scream*
SubbedJul 23, 2014 12:01 PM
Jul 23, 2014 2:19 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Subpyro said:
Tyrel said:

Still hasn't logged on the site, though.

Jesus Christ...

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 23, 2014 2:30 PM

Mar 2013
cyruz said:
Jesus Christ...

Elaborate. And why didn't you quote my edited part, it's such an epic scene if you imagine it.
Jul 24, 2014 6:39 AM

Jun 2014
Subpyro said:
HitgirlPlatinum said:

If you would have told that you are under 17 in your application but still show dedication and knowledge on the matter, you could have still been accepted, or at least noted.

I don't think that it would have been accepted, but I agree that it would have been noted. But never mind that now. I'll apply when I come of age.
Jul 24, 2014 6:51 AM

Mar 2013
HitgirlPlatinum said:
I don't think that it would have been accepted, but I agree that it would have been noted. But never mind that now. I'll apply when I come of age.

Why even comment if you then proceed to say "but never mind that now"? And yes, if you would have proven yourself worthy and mature, there is no reason why you wouldn't have been accepted. You're bringing up pure speculations without any experience on the matter.
Jul 24, 2014 6:51 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
My time estimates are generally dependent on everything going hunky dory in all other areas of the site. Unfortunately, this often isn't the case, so they end up getting extended as I handle other issues that appear in my path along the way.

Thus, a general rule of thumb is to x2 to any time lengths I say which involve me (note: this does not apply to things like Crave/code).

That being said, my estimate of a week was directed at the applicants and not at the final announcement thread. Choosing new staff members is not something that we rush.
Jul 25, 2014 8:53 AM

Jun 2014
Subpyro said:
HitgirlPlatinum said:

Why even comment if you then proceed to say "but never mind that now"? And yes, if you would have proven yourself worthy and mature, there is no reason why you wouldn't have been accepted. You're bringing up pure speculations without any experience on the matter.

I just said how I felt, which I'm sure does not break any rules. And also, it was clearly said that 'You should be at least 17 to apply'. And I don't think it is right to break that rule for just a single individual, no matter how 'mature' or 'experienced' they may be. It wouldn't be fair.
Jul 25, 2014 9:03 AM

Mar 2013
Fairness is not the word you're looking for. If someone proves worthy, it's only fair he/she would be taken on the team. No, what you want to point out is a strictly objective line of restriction. One that cannot be passed by any individual. I'm not a fan of those, that is when it comes to the matter of age. Truth be told, the age limit is there mainly for the sake of the applications that are submitted holding at least some reason. In other words, it is to prevent hyped 12-year-olds of sending in crap and taking Kineta's time, which as seen, she doesn't really have much of it. Therefore, assume the age limit as more of a guideline over being a rule. You know, just as "the more you know" for the future.
Jul 25, 2014 10:26 AM

Jun 2014
Subpyro said:
Fairness is not the word you're looking for. If someone proves worthy, it's only fair he/she would be taken on the team. No, what you want to point out is a strictly objective line of restriction. One that cannot be passed by any individual. I'm not a fan of those, that is when it comes to the matter of age. Truth be told, the age limit is there mainly for the sake of the applications that are submitted holding at least some reason. In other words, it is to prevent hyped 12-year-olds of sending in crap and taking Kineta's time, which as seen, she doesn't really have much of it. Therefore, assume the age limit as more of a guideline over being a rule. You know, just as "the more you know" for the future.

Okay, I get you're point. But I still think that I was right about my own point. The way it is written seems more like a rule than a guideline to me. And also, I don't think that that is the only thing the age limit is for. Cause we can never be sure that there isn't a 17 year old who wouldn't send in crap. It would be biased and foolish to assume that most 12 year olds are immature and most 17 year olds are sensible.
Jul 25, 2014 10:36 AM

Mar 2013
HitgirlPlatinum said:
Cause we can never be sure that there isn't a 17 year old who wouldn't send in crap. It would be biased and foolish to assume that most 12 year olds are immature and most 17 year olds are sensible.

That is true. But then again, a 12-year-old could also lie about his/her age. What would be stopping him/her from doing that? Pretty much nothing. Still, those who cannot even be honest about their age would most likely fail badly in a position as any kind of Moderator on MAL. That is if their application would shine so much for them to be accepted somehow. Regardless, all the Staff positions on this website are insanely hard if we compare them to what they are like elsewhere. Therefore, more than the age, I'm concerned about the users not knowing just what they are going into. But then again, Kineta is smart, so such tend not to be given the status in the first place. As harsh as it may sound, she only does them and the website a favour that way.

Do excuse me if this seems like an useless argument, it's your choice either way. Just in case you'll ever want to apply in the future for any kind of position here, do know exactly what you're going into beforehand.
SubbedJul 25, 2014 10:40 AM
Jul 26, 2014 12:18 AM

Jun 2014
Subpyro said:

That is true. But then again, a 12-year-old could also lie about his/her age. What would be stopping him/her from doing that? Pretty much nothing. Still, those who cannot even be honest about their age would most likely fail badly in a position as any kind of Moderator on MAL. That is if their application would shine so much for them to be accepted somehow. Regardless, all the Staff positions on this website are insanely hard if we compare them to what they are like elsewhere. Therefore, more than the age, I'm concerned about the users not knowing just what they are going into. But then again, Kineta is smart, so such tend not to be given the status in the first place. As harsh as it may sound, she only does them and the website a favour that way.

Hmm. Okay, you win. :) And no it wasn’t like a useless argument to me. I understand. Thanks for giving your time. :)
Jul 30, 2014 1:39 PM

Jul 2014
Pikachu-Pandas said:
what's the base salary

9001 Yen
Jul 30, 2014 1:45 PM

Mar 2013
Wrong currency. There are only points of our great leaders awarded here.
Jul 30, 2014 1:56 PM

Oct 2009
Yes very wrong currency, if you don't know then don't post
Jul 31, 2014 2:31 AM

Oct 2009
tigriss said:
I could do it (if i were accepted) for a month. Then I'm going back to school and I won't have much time. Too bad.

You'll be accepted the day you are going back to school
Aug 7, 2014 9:59 AM

Mar 2013
^ Lemme save that in one folder. :P
Aug 7, 2014 11:43 AM

Oct 2009
Kineta will arrive
Aug 7, 2014 12:01 PM

Mar 2013
She shall arrive indeed. I think.
Aug 7, 2014 12:02 PM
Jan 2013
She will arrive after 15 minutes xD
Aug 7, 2014 12:23 PM

Oct 2009
Frost_Kiss said:
She will arrive after 15 minutes xD

You lost
Aug 7, 2014 1:34 PM

Mar 2013
Everyone does if they are too specific. A totally political and uninformative ETA is the only way to go, otherwise you always miss. So something like "at one point in the future" is good. As well as something like "in a week or more", with the emphasis being on "or more". Kineta smartly took the latter example.
Aug 7, 2014 1:49 PM

Oct 2009
Kineta will arrive on September first (this year)
Aug 8, 2014 3:35 AM
Jan 2013
Serhiyko said:
Kineta will arrive on September first (this year)

See you next month in this treat guys.
Aug 13, 2014 11:01 AM

Mar 2013
Kineta, Kineta, our Kin has no ETA. (Sorry, just had to do it)
Aug 13, 2014 11:13 AM

Oct 2009
Subpyro said:

I already said when she will arrive
Aug 31, 2014 1:21 AM
Jan 2013
Serhiyko said:
Subpyro said:

I already said when she will arrive

Tomorrow Kineta is coming xD
Aug 31, 2014 7:55 AM

Dec 2008
*doki doki*
Aug 31, 2014 11:47 AM

Dec 2012
Uncrowned_King said:
*doki doki*

.. panic?
Sep 1, 2014 10:14 AM

Dec 2012
Perhaps they will wait until the hack is fixed. It is better for MAL iand other users if they focus more time on that.
Sep 1, 2014 3:30 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Sorry everyone. I haven't forgotten about this, trust me... Getting the new DB admin up and running became my top priority so that I could ease some of the workload off my shoulders. You'll hear something from me soon!

It's not the first in our timezone but just for you, Newser.
Sep 10, 2014 5:49 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
The solutions to all applications have been sent out to all applicants!
If you didn't receive a PM from me, please send me a message so that I can panic.

New manga staff announcement to come soon!
KinetaSep 10, 2014 6:02 PM
Sep 10, 2014 5:53 PM

Dec 2012
LOL, who else already knows that they are definitely not getting that job. Just read my PM. It is mostly red.
Sep 10, 2014 9:10 PM

Mar 2013
Alright, this surely was interesting to re-examine. Lesson learnt is that a position of a database moderator is the last one I would fit in as a member of the staff. And, well, I have my eyes on something else anyway. :) I appreciate the relatively detailed reply and solutions, sending in an application just for them was very well worth it. Good luck to everyone, you are all heroes in my eyes for sending in a full application in the first place, whether everything is green or red-yellow gazed.
Sep 10, 2014 11:42 PM

Dec 2008
Subpyro said:
Alright, this surely was interesting to re-examine. Lesson learnt is that a position of a database moderator is the last one I would fit in as a member of the staff. And, well, I have my eyes on something else anyway. :) I appreciate the relatively detailed reply and solutions, sending in an application just for them was very well worth it. Good luck to everyone, you are all heroes in my eyes for sending in a full application in the first place, whether everything is green or red-yellow gazed.

^

At least we can be assured that our new manga mods will be very good.

gg, see ya guys next time.
Sep 11, 2014 6:22 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Just to clarify the application a bit now that everyone got their answers back.
  • Part B (spot the errors) was primarily a test of your attention to detail. There was a "trick" or two, but it primarily required a careful eye and thoughtful processing of the information in each field.
  • Part C was a test of your ability to apply the rules in the guidelines about eligibility. Anyone can quote eligibility rules, but could you use them.
  • Part D focused on your searching skills. Some of you have probably never searched information in Japanese before, but it's something that DB mods need to get comfortable with - especially manga moderators. Everyone gets better at it with practice, but you need to have a little drive to try in the first place.
  • Part A combines the other three parts together in one.

I'll state again that the application doubles as a teaching tool. No one had an application that was 100% green. But it gives us a starting point to determine how motivated you are, how thorough you are, and how much you need to learn.

If you aren't interested in thoroughly searching information in a language that you may/do not understand, then this position isn't for you. If you aren't interested in being critical about all entry fields and assuring that all information on entries is correct and complete, then this position isn't for you. But if you had fun doing the application, want to know where the information you missed came from and want to be able to search obscure information like publication dates of specific magazine issues - then you're in the right place.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
6 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.