Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 9, 2014 11:23 PM

Oct 2009
My vocabulary deck has been strictly set to 10 new words a day since I started it.

The progress may seem slow at first but before you know it a year has gone by and you know 3600 words that you wouldn't have known otherwise. It seems like every few months I have a revelation about how many more words I can recognize in songs and anime than I could a few months before.

Even slow progress is progress so my advice to anyone is to get the ball rolling and stick with it.
Jul 9, 2014 11:32 PM

Nov 2012
I have learnt Japanese before and that was before I got into anime. I only did it because I had some experience in Chinese and I needed to choose a language to learn at school. I never really enjoyed learning it though watching anime did motivate me a little. I can still read and write hiragana and katakana though I'm a bit slow.

I've recently fallen out of love with Japanese culture so learning the language is a lot less attractive to me now. I'm not letting anime be a reason to learn it because I feel that's silly when I'm much more interested in learning other languages first. Perhaps a trip to Japan might change my mind, but until said time arrives, I'm not too interested.
Jul 10, 2014 2:09 PM

Dec 2013
This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there's an app/device yet that will recognize spoken, foreign languages and instantly/reliably translate it for you (& vice versa)? I always make a concerted effort to speak a foreign country's language, but I often wonder what's more embarassing: me butchering the pronunciation, or utilizing an electronic "broker" LOL.
Jul 22, 2014 5:25 PM
Mar 2014
Honestly, I wanted to learn japanese for that reason, but one thing led to another, Korean is so much easier for me! Hangul is so much simpler than Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji! xD
Jul 22, 2014 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
Been studying for six years and now practice my speaking regularly with some of my Japanese friends over skype. It's not easy and it's not something that you're going to be able to master in a year or two. It takes a lot of hitting the books. Even after six years of practice I still mess spelling and speaking up all the time. Going to be studying abroad in Tokyo in 2 years to hopefully localize my pronunciation. If you're really committed than keep at it but just know that it is a long hard road ahead.
Jul 30, 2014 4:14 PM

Jul 2014
I got to learning it and dropped it like a week ago - I'm gonna pick it up I swear c;!! I don't understand the difference between hirogana and katakana though why are they the same yet different x_x
Only an idiot starts a fight he can't win. — Sora
Jul 30, 2014 4:24 PM

Jan 2012
I probably fall into this category. I learned all my kana over a year ago now and was starting to learn kanji ect but since I became an official student I have had less time. I honestly think to learn a language you have to be immersed in it so I plan to learn when I get to Japan. Being multilingual has no drawbacks though, I only wish I had been encouraged to learn another language earlier.
Aug 1, 2014 4:49 PM

Jun 2011
Well, I can say cramming the language into a single summer is not SUPER effective, but it does give progress if committed. For these two months, I've learned 350ish kanji, but unfortunately really slowly going through the grammar.

If anyone can recommend some simple mangas or visual novels, that would be great. not some ridiculous stuff like btooom. :P Perhaps will attempt to read them after finishing -enough- of kim tae's stuff.
Sep 4, 2014 2:53 AM

Sep 2014
It's been a year since I started learning japanese.. No problems so far.
Learned the romaji version first though ._.
私 は あ な た が 私 を 養 う た い !

Pages (3) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 36 minutes ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 7 hours ago

37 by Shirayukin »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

24 by Rinenka »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

34 by MadanielFL »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

8 by Dizzy-san »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.