Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 2, 2009 10:57 AM
May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I would usually be busy during this time, but it just happened that my class got canceled today, so...;).

Good episode, it was mainly from chapter 1 of the manga, and there are 17 chapters plus 3 specials, so I think we can get at least 15 episodes for this series. Deviated a little from the manga, but the main plot remained the same, so I'm happy :).

And Kuroko is awesome. That is all.
throwaway513846Oct 2, 2009 11:00 AM
Oct 2, 2009 11:42 AM

Apr 2009
*Waiting, RAW or subs :B*

I WANT my biri biri!! *-*
Oct 2, 2009 11:48 AM

Dec 2006
i was so impressed. i mean i was expecting either

1) a direct adaption of the manga: panel by panel, word for word, much like the kannagi anime, or
2) an indirect adaptation of the manga, distorted by lots filler and extraneous bullshit, a la the excel saga anime.

what i got was neither but i believe it will be superior to both. as asdf already said above, obviously they changed many things such as the more in-depth depiction of the level testing at tokiwadai, how mikotosama meets uiharu and saten, the whole gekota thing, the attempted kidnapping by the bank robbers, etc., but i'm sure it was in order to make the one chapter fit perfectly in the allotted time. obviously the work of an experienced director.

just the right amount of character development, just the right amount of action.

unfortunately i missed the op because tokyo mx wasn't appearing in the keyhole channel listing until after 12:30 but i liked the ed instantly. it reminded me of some of the better, high-powered anime themes i have heard in the past. the scene with touma is a great tie-in for people who only know the index anime - at first i thought it was actually a reused scene from index but then when it went on longer and stopped on mikotosama i realized what they were doing with it. i'm not disappointed with the consistency with index at all. the show has preserved the completely different tone from the railgun manga and that is all that is important. of course it remains to be seen how they handle it as things get darker but - so far, so good.

speaking of, i noticed that they are working very hard to highlight saten. those of us who have read the manga know why this is, but, again, i was impressed. i'm actually going to go out on a limb here and say the manga may have been better had they paid this much attention to saten early on.

yes, you can tell she was hinamori amu, but it's not nearly as distracting as i had imagined it would be. uiharu of course has the voice of the nimble toyosaki aki and is absolutely flawless. could not ask for more. perhaps she will be overshadowed in the anime by saten, but that's yet to be seen. if they continue to take things at this pace, i'm sure every character will get plenty of time for us to get to know them again.

and the music! i was so afraid after i learned they would be using the index anime's music that they would screw it up again and only play the same track over and over every episode but so far they have had a great variety, mostly nonintrusive and highly appropriate selection of the tracks.

as asdf was getting at, we might expect them to end with the end of vol 3 if they really do one chapter per episode and it's 26 episodes. i think that may be realistic.

one last thing - as a late night anime they are clearly pushing the ecchi angle, but it's nothing that's untrue to the original material, and i have to say, i'm glad it's all there. i won't go into too much detail because i know no one cares, but i really identify with many aspects of kuroko's personality - when i read the manga, i look at mikotosama as if i were kuroko, and so it's important to me that all that be in there.

looking forward to one of the greatest anime ever made. i am happy to be alive today.
Oct 2, 2009 1:18 PM

Nov 2007
It was really cool.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 2, 2009 4:19 PM

Jan 2009
Ayako just released the subs.......very fast, when I;m done downloading them, I;ll post again. Just tells you guys the subs are out.
Oct 2, 2009 4:22 PM

Sep 2008
tsubasalover said:
It was really cool.
You know, you can write a summary too even though you didn't start the thread.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2009 4:54 PM

Jan 2009
It was Ok, nothing more. The action was pretty cool and the characters seemed good, but the teleport-er one (I don't know the names yet and don't feel like looking it up) seems really annoying.

The animation, can't say much, the Ayako release wasn't very good quality, but it looked pretty good.

Overall, the second best anime I;ve watched this fall (1. Armed Librarians 3. Kampfer)
Oct 2, 2009 5:01 PM

Sep 2008
ELISA <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2009 5:02 PM

Nov 2006
Saten is way too Amu for me. Not really pleased with her voice so far. I was pleasantly surprised with Uiharu's, though. Guess Toyosaki Aki is more diverse than I thought.

The OP is growing on me little by little. Still disappointed Kawada is not doing it. Interested in the ED because Elisa's songs are hits or misses for me.

Really like how Uiharu and Saten look in their anime forms, but everyone is still just a little too pudgy for my tastes. I'll get over it.

Harumi looks really good in the OP.

Enjoyed Mikoto's DOKO MITTENNO YO and KUROKONOKOKORO. And of course's Amu's 'atashi wa betsuni'.

Overall better than I was expecting. :>

HawthorneKitty said:
ELISA <3
That was the OP (fripSide), not the ED.
Oct 2, 2009 5:24 PM

Apr 2008
Enjoyable first episode, can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Oct 2, 2009 5:24 PM

Sep 2008
windy said:

HawthorneKitty said:
ELISA <3
That was the OP (fripSide), not the ED.
Curses more singers that sound good in English, no wonder it sounded a little lighter...
Oct 2, 2009 5:26 PM

Jun 2009
not bad=]
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Oct 2, 2009 5:47 PM
Jun 2009
Cant wait to see touma again his part in this side story is funny as hell and whenver mokoto is around him she always blushes and cant spit out words even though we wont see him much he probley has the biggest influance on her so yey Touma and BTW i wish they just made a sequel to the orignal index and not this but whatever works:)
Oct 2, 2009 5:56 PM

Jun 2008
Totally digging this, especially Kuroko's sexual aggressiveness. Saten reminds me of Mio from KON for some reason, maybe it's the looks.

Oh, and the Gekota part totally fulfilled my tsundere quota.
Oct 2, 2009 5:57 PM

Aug 2008
Exactly what I expected, even with high expectations.

Great episode, and great opening.
Oct 2, 2009 5:59 PM

Apr 2009
Pretty good first episode. Can't really say much more about it as nothing important plotwise has really happened yet apart from the obvious "the two pairs of girls become friends".
Oct 2, 2009 6:01 PM

Sep 2008
That beat my expectations :) Well I have been hoping for it to be good since I actually quite enjoyed To-Aru Majutsu but this seems very promising. Kuroko annoys me a bit though, but besides from that it seems like it will be really good. Wonder if Touma and Index will actually have proper appearances or anything instead of Touma's face being hidden like in the ending.

Hope this will change my mind about wanting another season of To-Aru instead. (Which I am sure will be made anyway)
Oct 2, 2009 6:07 PM

Jun 2008
Like windy I was also hoping for a Mami OP, it feels weird not to have the I've utahime singing the theme songs, and I've had more disappointments than good surprises with ELISA's works.

It's nice to hear Satou Rina's voice again after a few months. I never watched Shugo Chara so I don't know how much Saten resembles Amu, but Itou's performance last season on Yakyuu Musume and Manimani caught my attention, so I'm happy to be able to watch her play a character with a different personality type. And Toshiaki sounded just like always for me, that Yui tone in her voice looks like it'll never fade away. I'd like to hear her in more serious roles to test her range, like we've seen with Horie Yui these past couple seasons.

The animation was not surprising in the sense that everyone was expecting something good from the first episode of Index's side story. I hope it stays consistent throughout the series, and that they manage to distribute the action scenes in a way not to have any particularly boring episodes.
Oct 2, 2009 6:14 PM

Apr 2008
That was a good start xD

Oct 2, 2009 6:14 PM

Dec 2007
so episode 1 was subbed and i just watched it.
the episode was okay i would say. nothing special but it does have some potential id say.

i rate it 3/5 for the first episode and hope that this anime will get better.
i heard the manga for this anime is really good so i might be checking that out some time soon :D
Oct 2, 2009 6:21 PM

May 2008
This was great, i love the new characters haha but i hope we get to see Touma in this season

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Oct 2, 2009 6:24 PM
Jun 2009
Toma will be in this he has by far the biggest impact on mokoto she is madly in love with him if u read the light novels everythime she see's toma she blushes and studders and YES toma will be in this a fair amount so that the only reason why im watching it personally i think this show will flop they should have just made a sequel to to aru no index not this cuz there is so much not covered in the last anime and the story goes on for a long time i hope they make a sequel to that one but yeah back to the point toma will be in this and yes motoko is beyond in love with toma and he is the reason she does so many things go toma!!
Oct 2, 2009 6:26 PM

Jul 2007
Hmm... this is not that bad so far ... the ending song is pretty good as well

Hope it doesn't turn out like index ... blah I didn't like that >.>"
Oct 2, 2009 6:26 PM

May 2008
How many shower and panty-checking scenes do we really need?

Eugh, another horrible show for this season.

protoman96 said:

one last thing - as a late night anime they are clearly pushing the ecchi angle, but it's nothing that's untrue to the original material, and i have to say, i'm glad it's all there. i won't go into too much detail because i know no one cares, but i really identify with many aspects of kuroko's personality

Wow, that was deep. It's almost as if you're a typical ronery lolicon otaku male.
Oct 2, 2009 6:55 PM

Nov 2006
Jonny12 said:
Toma will be in this he has by far the biggest impact on mokoto she is madly in love with him if u read the light novels everythime she see's toma she blushes and studders and YES toma will be in this a fair amount so that the only reason why im watching it personally i think this show will flop they should have just made a sequel to to aru no index not this cuz there is so much not covered in the last anime and the story goes on for a long time i hope they make a sequel to that one but yeah back to the point toma will be in this and yes motoko is beyond in love with toma and he is the reason she does so many things go toma!!
MIKOTO*. jesus.
And no, Touma is not going to be in it a fair amount. He has little cameos that get littler as the series goes on.
Oct 2, 2009 7:09 PM

Jul 2008
llamaben said:
Exactly what I expected, even with high expectations.

Great episode, and great opening.
Oct 2, 2009 7:18 PM

Jul 2008
wow that teleporter girl really created a 5 step plan for disaster after misaka saw it
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 2, 2009 7:36 PM

Apr 2009
Good start so far, very enjoyable.
let see where it goes from here.
Oct 2, 2009 8:00 PM
May 2009
hikky said:
How many shower and panty-checking scenes do we really need?

Eugh, another horrible show for this season.

For your information, one - the only one that was in the manga.
I probably won't change your opinion about this anime, but if you decide that an anime is "horrible" because the developers were trying to be faithful to the manga they were adapting from, then you're going to be missing out on a lot. And also, it's only the first episode. Give it a chance.
throwaway513846Oct 2, 2009 8:16 PM
Oct 2, 2009 8:10 PM

Apr 2009
not a bad start, i'm kind of hoping to see the clones some more but that won't happen from the look of things
Oct 2, 2009 8:12 PM

Nov 2007
I like the parallel they did with Mikoto and Touma in the OP, adds to the whole spin-off thing. Good start to the series.
KantarouOct 2, 2009 8:24 PM
Oct 2, 2009 8:40 PM

Apr 2009
Seems like a great show from the first episode, but I hope they add some sort of plot instead of just random bad guys popping up.

*Has not read the manga*
FaithoftheFallenJan 15, 2010 8:42 PM
Oct 2, 2009 8:42 PM

Apr 2008
Started out slow, but ended in a good way.
Oct 2, 2009 8:44 PM

Feb 2009
Finally an episode of Fall 2009 that didn't bore me to hell. Even though it wasn't that great (I remember Index's first episode being better) it's still enjoyable. Contrary to Index though, I hope this gets better every episode instead of throwing random shit at us like in TAMnI.

The ED (or OP) was pretty good, nice animation and the music wasn't too terrible.
Oct 2, 2009 8:58 PM

Jun 2008
lol, did anyone catch this?

Oct 2, 2009 9:02 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed this particular episode, but my feelings remain very mixed. On the one hand, I quite like the concept and just the name railgun is enough to catch my interest, but Index turned out so utterly mediocre. These two new girls could definitely grow on me, but Kuroko is... Well, it's not like I don't laugh at all, but she's just so over the top all the time. I don't know how tolerable she'll be as a main character.

Edit: Hah, nice find. I didn't notice at all.
Oct 2, 2009 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
Coin VS Car.
Coin wins.
Mikoto wins.
Oct 2, 2009 9:36 PM

Sep 2008
MISAKAAAA

fanservice was moe.
Oct 2, 2009 9:41 PM

Jul 2008
lmao great episode XD
looking forward in watching this series
im also looking forward to Touma's appearance XD
Oct 2, 2009 10:02 PM
Feb 2009
johny, give it up, he's a side character in this anime, he won't stand out, it may be true in the parent story but this is about the 4 other ppl
Oct 2, 2009 10:27 PM

Sep 2008
canders5 said:
johny, give it up, he's a side character in this anime, he won't stand out, it may be true in the parent story but this is about the 4 other ppl

what he says is true.

though the scenes that he briefly appear in will be great to watch animated

to explain some things about the story, this begins prior to episode 1 of TAMNI, and later will move at the same timeframe as the TAMNI. Basically we see what the Judgment have been doing while our Level0 has his nun problems
hopefully what i wrote will be vague enough to avoid spoilers
Oct 2, 2009 10:45 PM

Sep 2008
quicksilverzx said:
lol, did anyone catch this?
You could have resized that picture you got from Sankaku and posted the Toradora one what was coupled with it...
Oct 2, 2009 10:58 PM

Jun 2008
YES, a show with the REAL star of To aru majutsu no index.

BiriBiri was awesome as usual, this is truly awesome, A WHOLE SEASON with BiriBiri X Kuroko.

Hopefully that idiotic Index won't show up, also BiriBiri doesn't need Touma, after all she already has Kuroko.

1 Episode of Railgun > 24 episodes of Index
Oct 2, 2009 10:59 PM
Jul 2009
Good pacing on action and development. Okay story. Hasn't really wowed me yet.
Oct 2, 2009 11:08 PM

Dec 2007
Pretty good start, looking forward to this.

Coin vs Car? Coin wins every time!
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]
Oct 2, 2009 11:11 PM

Sep 2007
Lol. I liked this episode. It was surprisngly funny and action was paced well.

Oct 2, 2009 11:24 PM
Dec 2008
yes, yes, and yes!

mikoto > Index
science side > magic side

and so it begins :D
Oct 2, 2009 11:57 PM

Sep 2009
Just finished the first episode. It definitely surpassed my expectation for the show...maybe even surpassed it. It did change some parts of the story but they did it well (for now)... Hope to see more greatness of Mikoto ^^ Biri Biri~~!
Oct 3, 2009 12:55 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty good start. Biribiri was awesome as always :3
Oct 3, 2009 1:20 AM

May 2009
First episode deeply impressed me. Hope it stays that way.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Proselyt - Jan 29, 2010

165 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 10, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Jan 22, 2010

131 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

throwaway513846 - Jan 15, 2010

153 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

UnknownFact - Jan 2, 2010

170 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 2:08 PM

Poll: » Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

throwaway513846 - Dec 25, 2009

225 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 9, 1:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.