Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 18, 2014 5:19 PM

Jun 2014
I was interested in getting into the manga of One Piece but I'm rather confused on how manga works. Do you guys typically read manga online or do you buy each chapter? I heard he chapter costs around 15 dollars and that seems to crazy to be able to dish in 15 dollars a week for a chapter. Am I missing something? Or does the 15 dollars include several chapters but they ship sepreately each week? If someone could clarify how purchasing manga works I'd appreciate it.
Previously: BlueXRam
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 18, 2014 5:23 PM

Apr 2014
chapters, as in volumes?

Are you talking about volumes?

If you're lucky, you can get your manga at your local bookstores (like Barnes and Nobles).

For people who don't have the money, they get it at the library.

I mostly read it online and/or borrow it from the library.

If you're really not sure about buying a manga, read a few chapters online (or at the bookstore) to see if you like it or not.
TobiOrNotTobiJun 18, 2014 5:27 PM
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Jun 18, 2014 5:25 PM

Jun 2012
Wait, what? If One Piece were $15 each chapter, the total cost of the Manga would be 11,250 USD.

Nine chapters are compiled into each volume give or take for weekly Manga, One Piece is a mass produced WSJ release so it should run you for no more than 8 USD for a volume. That's about 600 USD if you're planning on collecting the entire series.

I personally try to buy 10% of what I read online, but I wouldn't buy something unless I really liked the series or felt attached to it in some way.
Jun 18, 2014 5:35 PM

Jun 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Wait, what? If One Piece were $15 each chapter, the total cost of the Manga would be 11,250 USD.

Nine chapters are compiled into each volume give or take for weekly Manga, One Piece is a mass produced WSJ release so it should run you for no more than 8 USD for a volume. That's about 600 USD if you're planning on collecting the entire series.

I personally try to buy 10% of what I read online, but I wouldn't buy something unless I really liked the series or felt attached to it in some way.

Okay that makes more sense that it's nine chapters per voulme. But for instance I see reviewers review a new one piece chapter every week. So if manga is only sold in a volume does that mean the only way to read a chapter right when it comes out is by online?
Jun 18, 2014 6:32 PM

Apr 2013
Tarheelram said:

So if manga is only sold in a volume does that mean the only way to read a chapter right when it comes out is by online?
basically yes. And even then you have to wait for a few hours until they finish translating it (One Piece isn't bad because it's really popular, but sometimes in other series you know that there's been a chapter out for months without a translation.)

The quality in the volumes is obviously a bit higher and buying One Piece ain't a bad choice because it has high re-readability. I would still recommend reading it online first, because spending money on a manga you might potentially dislike is a waste.
Jun 18, 2014 6:33 PM

Jun 2012
Tarheelram said:
Okay that makes more sense that it's nine chapters per voulme. But for instance I see reviewers review a new one piece chapter every week. So if manga is only sold in a volume does that mean the only way to read a chapter right when it comes out is by online?
Popular series get translated within a week the chapter is released in Japan, the vast majority of Manga are originally published in anthology style magazines, that is what is translated online months before being put into a volume.

It's illegal, but it's inevitable.
Jun 18, 2014 6:47 PM

Jul 2013
One Piece and some other Shonen Jump series also have those boxsets that are awesome value.

A lot of money to jump in blind...but eh
Jun 18, 2014 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
I read most of my manga online. I can't really afford to buy a whole lot, and my local libraries don't really have any available.
Jun 18, 2014 7:51 PM
Mar 2012
100% online. If I bought everything I read, it would take three lifetimes to pay for them all. I do buy light novels of my favorite series though.
Jun 20, 2014 7:54 AM

Apr 2014
I read online of necessary but I've been trying to buy at least a few volumes of things I really enjoyed to support the creator. If your going to buy one piece I suggest the box set cause its really nice and comes with the one shot I believe.
Jun 20, 2014 8:11 PM

Mar 2011
Read online...

Sadly there are not sold here....(the one i read)
Jun 21, 2014 9:06 PM

Jul 2013
I read most stuff online but I'll buy it if it's something that seems worth my money and actually has an official translation

I have to order it online because the nearest Barnes and Noble is over an hour away.
My family is a treasure, you need a map and shovel to find them.
Aug 23, 2014 2:42 PM

Dec 2011
I think most people start their manga reading career with older, completed series at the library or local bookstore. Unfortunately, the selection at those sources is small and soon exhausted. If you find you have a deeper interest than can be met by them, online sources are the way to go. How much, when, and how you support the artists and translators is up to your conscience. Right now, even though it's illegal, it's very hard for anybody to regulate the market. So, read what you like online and find a community that fits your values.
Aug 23, 2014 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
I take daily trips to Japan's anime/manga black market.
Aug 23, 2014 3:12 PM

Feb 2013
either bought or through the library

only use scans when necessary
Aug 23, 2014 4:30 PM
Jul 2014
sadly in my country u can only buy each volume for 10 euros and they only sell bleach naruto DB one piece death note and thats almost it.

long duration mangas i will never buy them, maybe OP, but i would love to buy those with 50-100 chapters, but they dont sell any and i dont know any trustworthy site online to buy them :(
Aug 23, 2014 5:10 PM

Jun 2008
I buy a few series that i really like, but for the most part i read all my manga online.
No use going to the library since my local library doesn't have a good collection of manga.
Aug 23, 2014 9:27 PM

Sep 2013
I read most of my manga online but there's a few series I like buying physical copies of. I don't have any complete sets yet though so my manga collection is just a bunch of first volumes of multiple different series.
Aug 23, 2014 11:22 PM

Oct 2013
Right Stuf they sell by the retail price so it's pretty much the best, although I think u only get free shipping when u spent over $150 I think ..
Aug 23, 2014 11:28 PM

Jul 2012
I read online but I'll buy select chapters just to show support for the mangaka
Aug 24, 2014 1:29 AM

May 2014
I mostly read online. I only buy manga when I really like the series.
The purchased items are usually sequels.
(In my country's currency a tankobon makes 10$x400....)

BU / / / / / dev
Aug 24, 2014 9:32 AM

Jul 2014
My library has a decent amount of manga. If I can't find something I want to read there then I reluctantly read it online. And reading online is something I'm having to do more and more lately.

Cupquake said:
Tarheelram said:

So if manga is only sold in a volume does that mean the only way to read a chapter right when it comes out is by online?
basically yes. And even then you have to wait for a few hours until they finish translating it (One Piece isn't bad because it's really popular, but sometimes in other series you know that there's been a chapter out for months without a translation.)

Or years as is the case of Waltz. The series has been finished since early 2012 but so far only 9 chapters have been translated. It's damn frustrating.
Aug 25, 2014 3:33 AM

Oct 2008
I read online and buy whenever I have the money.
Said that, I only buy manga I really like or manga I'd like my (probably when born, if i have) sons to read.
If it has solution, don't bother; and if it hasn't, why bothering?

Do you like manga? http://gunjoteam.com
Aug 25, 2014 3:59 AM

Sep 2010
I read online since all my money goes towards anime or video games. Plus I don't have much room atm for a lot of volumes.

I plan to collect my favorite series like Magi and 07 Ghost. I wish Viz would get the K spinoffs I would love those in my collection along with the light novels.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 26, 2014 6:19 AM

Jun 2013
Most people read manga online, where they are translated by "scanlation" groups; as unless you're from Japan, locally sold manga is of very low variety and often incomplete.

I do know of one bookstore in my city where one can ask for a book that's not in the shelves to be delivered or imported. They then ask for your contact information and inform you when the book is available. But it can be a lengthy wait and potentially expensive. (A friend of mine who bought the Vagabond and Neon Genesis Evangelion omnibuses said it took several months)
Aug 26, 2014 6:25 AM

Mar 2013
from torrent
Aug 26, 2014 6:25 AM

Jul 2008
By reading online :D
Aug 26, 2014 12:03 PM

Aug 2014
I would love to buy them , but where I live there is no chance of that happening
I read them online.
Aug 28, 2014 3:46 PM

May 2013
Just because of the fact that I prefer to read things in a book format, I buy all my manga (for the most part) with some small exceptions. The fact that I do it this way though, accounts for why I've read so little manga, especially compared to how much anime I watch. The only anime I read online is Kenichi, because it has no license, and Dragon Ball...because I never want to buy that. lol
Aug 31, 2014 6:51 AM

Jun 2014
I've started reading Magi online. Really enjoying it, never thought I'd have so much fun reading a manga. Also I'm planning on continuing to buy the volumes of Seven Deadly Sins.
Sep 4, 2014 7:21 PM

Apr 2012
Supercolin said:
I take daily trips to Japan's anime/manga black market.

Really? I also take daily trips to Japan, only I simply walk into manga stores with a sack, stuff it with manga, then promptly leave. The Japanese ignore strangers, after all.
Sep 5, 2014 3:25 PM

Feb 2014
I buy what I can find in bookstores, otherwise I read it online or from an app.
Sep 5, 2014 3:55 PM

Apr 2013
pirating
Sep 6, 2014 10:39 PM
Mar 2013
I read online
On Batoto mostly
Yare Yare Daze
Sep 9, 2014 7:41 PM

Jun 2014
Tsukiaki said:
I read online and buy whenever I have the money.
Said that, I only buy manga I really like or manga I'd like my (probably when born, if i have) sons to read.

I do this too! Vampire Knight is my favorite manga so I'm currently trying to collect all of the books.
Sep 17, 2014 12:13 PM

Mar 2007
I get all my manga from Kinokuniya, a Japanese bookstore. I have 2 locations near me. Their online store is great too. Free shipping for orders over $50. I use their website when the store is out of stock. They'll get the book from Japan and then ship it to me free that way.
Sep 17, 2014 7:42 PM

Aug 2014
Amazon a lot right now...Barnes and Nobles when I can't wait for something any longer and need to have it now.
Sep 18, 2014 4:41 AM
Apr 2013
Manga typically come out in Volumes which contain a number of chapters (the number can vary from series to series). I usually read manga online and if i encounter a must-have i purchase it (online via Amazon,Archonia or AnimeCornerStore).
Sep 18, 2014 4:47 AM

Jan 2013
How about Japanese fans? Do they have to wait when a volume is released to read the chapters?
Sep 18, 2014 7:08 PM

Mar 2008
BlueXRam said:
I heard he chapter costs around 15 dollars and that seems to crazy to be able to dish in 15 dollars a week for a chapter.
Anyone who has payed this much money for a single chapter has been swindled. Most single manga volumes I've bought contain 4-6 chapters and cost anywhere between $8-$18 depending on the series. The manga I've bought costing more than $12 were hardcover or had a special cover. Exceptions may be found on various auction sites where manga volumes sometimes sell under $5.

As a couple people have mentioned, Barnes & Noble is a pretty great way to go if you're looking to buy manga. Right Stuf, as R4vel has touched on, is also a decent option that is actually better for you as single volumes and omnibus edition manga volumes of One Piece are cheaper there.
R4vel said:
Right Stuf they sell by the retail price so it's pretty much the best, although I think u only get free shipping when u spent over $150 I think ..
Economy shipping is free for anyone located in the US who buys over $49 worth of items.
MagicalEmi said:
I get all my manga from Kinokuniya, a Japanese bookstore. I have 2 locations near me. Their online store is great too. Free shipping for orders over $50. I use their website when the store is out of stock. They'll get the book from Japan and then ship it to me free that way.
Thanks for this, MagicalEmi! :D I had not heard of Kinokuniya until now, and this is very helpful.

Sep 18, 2014 7:35 PM

Sep 2011
Mostly read online.
Sep 18, 2014 7:39 PM

Jun 2014
MisterLuffy said:
Mostly read online.

Yeah I read online too but not most of the time,I find it more amazing when you're holding the book.. smelling the paper, and especially the feel... oooh yeah! *chills* ( > ◡ < )
Sep 18, 2014 7:40 PM

Aug 2014
Zeebrah said:
MisterLuffy said:
Mostly read online.

Yeah I read online too but not most of the time,I find it more amazing when you're holding the book.. smelling the paper, and especially the feel... oooh yeah! *chills* ( > ◡ < )
The feeling you get when you have no money! Hell Yea!
Sep 18, 2014 7:45 PM

Jun 2014
Gotsupermilk said:
Zeebrah said:

Yup, unfortunately that's the bad thing it's expensive ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ
Sep 18, 2014 9:19 PM

Mar 2009
I have a CR manga subscription, so I can get some from there. I tend to stick to fan translations otherwise as they are often either the only ones available, or the only ones available in a timely fashion. Hopefully CR's selection will expand in the next few years...
"When he will, the weary world
Of the senses closely curled
Like a serpent round his heart
Shakes herself and stands apart."
- A.C., Equinox I/I
Sep 18, 2014 10:19 PM

Sep 2011
Zeebrah said:
Gotsupermilk said:

Yup, unfortunately that's the bad thing it's expensive ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ

And that's why I read online XD
Sep 19, 2014 3:20 AM

Jan 2013
I read manga online or from my library.
If I liked the series, then I buy the books.
Sep 22, 2014 9:27 AM

Feb 2014
I read online if I can't get ahold of a physical copy. I read all my physical copies at the library, and if they can't get it/have it already then I read online. Or if it's a Tokyopop title that's out of print.

Sep 22, 2014 9:32 AM

Dec 2013
I read most of mine online, but I do buy some.
If it's a series that I just know I'll love (Hunter x Hunter, Bakuman., FMA) then I'll blind buy it. If it's one i'm not sure about then i'll read it online first and then decide if it's worth buying.
Plus, a lot of manga isn't really out in the US, so it's kind of impossible to avoid reading online if you want to continue ones that are still publishing.

If I buy them then I usually buy from Rightstuf
Sep 24, 2014 7:54 PM

Jun 2014
I read mine online for the most part, but if there's a series I truly love I'll go out and buy all the volumes, hah
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1056 by Francis_0 »»
9 minutes ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

377 by Nissy »»
18 minutes ago

» When will be the next chapter of One punch Man released ?

MagrMal - Apr 23

3 by GudBoy »»
2 hours ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

67 by rurina-chan »»
4 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.