Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 4, 2014 12:38 PM
Feb 2013
So, Sora and Shiro aren't blood related.
Jun 4, 2014 12:39 PM
Nov 2013
jesus, this episode was so good. It was a complete mind blown of sora...
Jun 4, 2014 12:39 PM

Oct 2013
What an episode! I do believe, however, that Shiro and Sora's win was just impossible unlike the rest of the games that were played. How could Shiro possibly know where to put the pieces? Even if we assume she figured out how Sora positioned everything because she knew how Sora would play, how could Sora manipulate every move played from the beginning of the game? Eh. I don't know what to think of it. Oh well, it's just an anime
Jun 4, 2014 12:41 PM
Aug 2013
SORA is back :)

They are on their side now. They got this in the bag
Jun 4, 2014 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
Kitoge said:
How could Shiro possibly know where to put the pieces?

Actually on the LN they saw the board before Shiro started to put the peaces... the anime was forced to shorten the story
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

Jun 4, 2014 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
Just when I thought the JoJo-style asspulls can't get more magnificient than episode 6 had...
Jun 4, 2014 12:44 PM

Dec 2010
I think this could have been explained a bit better, but this was certainly a unique way to get someone on your side and to get their memories, and their possible elf girlfriend.

So I guess the actual game with the Eastern Empire will be coming up in the next episode.
Jun 4, 2014 12:45 PM

Oct 2013
DarkMoonWolf said:
Kitoge said:
How could Shiro possibly know where to put the pieces?

Actually on the LN they saw the board before Shiro started to put the peaces... the anime was forced to shorten the story

Oh okay...actually wait...how'd they see the board then? I thought a spell was made to conceal it from them?
Jun 4, 2014 12:49 PM

Jul 2013
ye he is really over powered, but i didn't really get how could shiro play a board game without seing the board... even though she's half kuhako
Jun 4, 2014 12:52 PM
Jan 2013
Botato said:
You're welcome. It was an amusing read though, kinda surprised you made it this far into the show.

Nah, the show isn't Mars of Destruction or SAO lvl bad x.x. Hell this show is actually pretty fucking entertaining to watch if i had to rated it based on it's comedy i give it a 9/10. (Excluding this episode....)
Thanks for actually reading it thou... i had to type that on my Andriod... not the best use of grammar right there.
Jun 4, 2014 12:53 PM

Apr 2014
I admit this episode was rushed and needed a better explanation but it was still good nonetheless.
3/5 for this episode
Jun 4, 2014 12:58 PM

Nov 2013
Kitoge said:
Oh okay...actually wait...how'd they see the board then? I thought a spell was made to conceal it from them?

Too tired to write... gonna copy paste instead:

I'll also add the rest of the chapter, since it will probably answer many questions most people seem to have:

Edit: added references and the rest of the chapter
DarkMoonWolfJun 4, 2014 1:44 PM

Jun 4, 2014 12:59 PM
Oct 2012
dariken said:
Just when I thought the JoJo-style asspulls can't get more magnificient than episode 6 had...

Episode 6 didn't have an "asspull", everything from start to finish followed step by step from what came before.
Jun 4, 2014 1:04 PM

Nov 2011
as a hater of this show, i never thought i'd post this, but this episode was amazing. This episode starts by exploring a bit of Shiro's past, and focus on Shiro's struggle to find her brother and get the memories back. Yes, there was some minor fan-service, but i'm fine with that. Looking forward the next episode!
edit: raised my score (again) for this series because of this episode. be thankful.
DreamingBeatsJun 4, 2014 1:12 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 4, 2014 1:11 PM

Oct 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't really sound like a person showing a lot of confidence in this shows overall appeal. Still the approach to try to convince people by what more or less looks like making concessions as to where the show falls short and dropping expectation levels is an interesting one. If you can somehow make it work then that's pretty impressive I've gotta say.

I'll just offer in the mean time that what if maybe just maybe the act of having to drop that expectation of strong characters in itself makes the show not particularly great for a lot of people. I mean not having strong characters to identify with and experience the show through.....that's a pretty big concession to make for some and can easily be the difference between good and mediocre or even poor. I hope you try to understand that as time goes forward.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not as "vested" in appeal as you are. I do not really care whether the show I like is popular or get so pissed when a show I hate is popular.

Besides, I like the characters and had already pointed out your mistake above.

This is going to sound cliche as fuck, but who are you really trying to convince with all of this hostility, you or me? You make it sound like you're already convinced of your absolute inherent and uncontestable and universal correctness every single time you go to interact with someone, but there's something that keeps nagging at me making me wonder if that's really the case and why it's so important that you win this grand argument you seem to feel you are involved in. Yes that's fine you like the characters, I and other people have a lot of problems with them though so again it comes down to different standards. Now you probably think it's a matter of people just watching it wrong or taking them the wrong way or whatever, but guess what, people are different and there's no right or wrong way to watch a show, just ones own way. You can't just force people to magically adopt a totally different context specific standard for a show and expect it to have the same effect for them I've always felt, it just cheapens the experience and the eventual end rating if you have to make concession after concession of your values and standards of quality just to arrive at a specific reaction or rating. Where's the genuine appreciation in that?

It's a shame you can't grasp this and be able to empathize with other viewers. In every interaction I've had with you or seen with others in this thread you never actually seem to make any sort of real attempt to have a pleasant normal discussion with others or share ideas with them so much as force it on them and act indignant when people don't just arbitrarily agree with you. People have been trying to tell you for weeks now that you are your own worst enemy when it comes to these situations and don't do the show or it's fanbase any favor with the type of behavior you show with the just anti-social, hostile and closed-minded approach to discussing it. I honestly feel at this point that if you didn't absolutely force yourself on people and into direct bitter contention with them every single time you see a post that doesn't exactly conform to your specific views on how to watch and react to this show that nobody would have any reason to pay attention to you anymore. It's pretty ridiculous and pointless man, like I don't feel like being hostile or critical of you on a personal level cause I feel that sort of thing inevitably leads nowhere in the long run and I'd hope it's the same with other people, but you practically give people no choice with your behavior. Very "bad manner" as they would say in a lot of online gaming circles.

Anyway it's a good thing this show is starting to see a lot more reasonable posters on both sides of the fence who aren't either ridiculously passive aggressive over it or super hostile and trolling towards the show cause frankly it's not worth it. As I understand it some people who are fans of the show also feel like the adaptation of the source wasn't as on point as usual this week. It might be off topic but I'm curious to hear more on that front as things go forward.
PeacingOutJun 4, 2014 1:15 PM
Jun 4, 2014 1:16 PM
Feb 2014
Everything was planned :3
Sora and Shiro OP
Jun 4, 2014 1:17 PM

Nov 2011
TraviiN said:
Everything was planned :3
blank OP

fixed. Sora would have lost w/o Shiro
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 4, 2014 1:23 PM

Nov 2013
kitkatxz said:
Botato said:
You're welcome. It was an amusing read though, kinda surprised you made it this far into the show.

Nah, the show isn't Mars of Destruction or SAO lvl bad x.x. Hell this show is actually pretty fucking entertaining to watch if i had to rated it based on it's comedy i give it a 9/10. (Excluding this episode....)
Thanks for actually reading it thou... i had to type that on my Andriod... not the best use of grammar right there.

Well, not that I agree with all of what you said here, but to each his own.
The comedy part however, yeah that's one of the reasons I'm really enjoying this show.
Haha now I understand why the post was not as organized as it could have been, it looked like a giant hate rant and that's why I said I'm surprised you made it this far, sorry for jumping to conclusions :p
Jun 4, 2014 1:28 PM
Feb 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Anyway it's a good thing this show is starting to see a lot more reasonable posters on both sides of the fence who aren't either ridiculously passive aggressive over it or super hostile and trolling towards the show cause frankly it's not worth it. As I understand it some people who are fans of the show also feel like the adaptation of the source wasn't as on point as usual this week. It might be off topic but I'm curious to hear more on that front as things go forward.

Well they left most of the explanations concerning the game away, also apart from 2 scenes they cut most of Sora's struggle against Kurumi. In the LN e. g. you get far more steps in which you see how he slowly forgets who he is and more or less gets mad in the process.

But the problem is that they there was no point at which they could have cut the episode so that the next one would have made sense. There wasn't enough text for 2 full episodes and a complete mood change after one third of the next episode would also have been bad.

It was clear for me that they needed to get it in 1 ep and for that they made a good job, imo.
Jun 4, 2014 1:49 PM
Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
who are you really trying to convince with all of this hostility, you or me?

As I have said before, you really should drop your need to be a martyr.

I have expressed no hostility towards you and have even said that if you lost your need to put people who disagree with you down you could be one of the better posters on MAL.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
You make it sound like you're already convinced of your absolute inherent and uncontestable and universal correctness every single time you go to interact with someone,

That would be you. I state my opinions, and then back them up with quotes or scenes from the show I watch. You said that the sibs haven't developed, I gave you two scenes from two different episodes where they did show development.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
why it's so important that you win this grand argument you seem to feel you are involved in.

Again that would be you. I have no desire to "win" (what would winning on MAL look like anyway), all I do is to respond when people say stuff I disagree with. As on the Mahouka thread, here I back my opinions with actual lines and scenes from the show. For example Episode 6 did make complete sense if one actually listened to what Jibiriru and Sora said, likewise the Chess game did make sense once you realized that all the figures acted like the Chivalry figures they were based on.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Now you probably think it's a matter of people just watching it wrong or taking them the wrong way or whatever, but guess what, people are different and there's no right or wrong way to watch a show, just ones own way.

Actually no, watching a show requires that you pay attention to what is actually on the show, or what the show actually claimed to be. One can clearly be wrong if what they are complaining about was actually answered in the show.

Likewise if a show is tagged etcchi to begin with then someone complaining about it having fanservice is not a legitimate compliant. Likewise being disappointed that a comedy doesn't have drama is also the fault of a viewer, not a valid "opinion".

Kaioshin_Sama said:
and be able to empathize with other viewers.

I empathize well, but pardon if I cannot empathize with someone who goes to a duck farm and is disappointed that it has ducks.

Kaioshin_Sama said:
In every interaction I've had with you or seen with others in this thread you never actually seem to make any sort of real attempt to have a pleasant normal discussion with others or share ideas with them so much as force it on them and act indignant when people don't just arbitrarily agree with you.

Again that would be you. If I wasn't trying to engage people why exactly would I go and list all the lines and scenes that support my argument? Your problem isn't that I don't engage, but rather that you can't respond when I do engage.

Your "engagement" is like this: You: "Sora is a crap character"; me: "what about when he apologized to Steph for insulting her father that was a pretty good scene"; you: "still a crap character".

If that is engagement, so be it.
Jun 4, 2014 1:51 PM
Oct 2010
Now that's a game with guts, having you risk a part of your own existence in every single piece played. It's kind of a shame we didn't see more of Sora's game, but I still loved the episode.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jun 4, 2014 1:53 PM

Nov 2009
i'm calling it, a candidate for one of the best shows of the year! @@@@@
Jun 4, 2014 1:56 PM

Sep 2013
Loved the episode. As always, NGNL doesn't disappoint. This will soar to top 20.
Jun 4, 2014 2:00 PM
Apr 2013
To its credit this show wasn't an easy drop like Mahouka or Black Bullet. The ironic thing, though, is this show is about games with main characters that never lose. In real life people who never lose at games are pretty boring to watch..

So I guess dropping this was the natural progression of things...

Jun 4, 2014 2:05 PM

Apr 2009
ollythirteen said:
To its credit this show wasn't an easy drop like Mahouka or Black Bullet. The ironic thing, though, is this show is about games with main characters that never lose. In real life people who never lose at games are pretty boring to watch..

Watch Akagi or One Outs to see games where the protagonist always wins that are actually very suspenseful.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 4, 2014 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
Wow! What an anime. x3
So, when it comes to making up rules and conditions for games to play in that world, you can literally come up with anything! D:
Having there own existence....gone for a while.......

Damn! What a plot. :3 It was a really good episode, interesting and awesome to watch! x3

I was sad not to see Sora the first half, but he later appeared at the ending.....good to see he is fine. x3

Anyways, good episode, as always! Next episode! Can't wait~! x3
Jun 4, 2014 2:08 PM
May 2014
DarkMoonWolf said:
Kitoge said:

I'll also add the rest of the chapter, since it will probably answer many questions most people seem to have:

thank you. This anime is amazing and this episode is one of the best that i have ever seen. In the other hand there is a lot of information compressed in 20 minutes only (although i can understand why).

I don't understand why people complain about it!
J87Jun 4, 2014 2:15 PM
Jun 4, 2014 2:18 PM

Nov 2013
J87 said:
DarkMoonWolf said:

thank you. This show is amazing and this episode is one of the best that i have ever seen and there is a lot of information compressed in 20 min only (i can understand why though).

Actually today's 20 minutes covered the complete 1st chapter of volume 2 of the Light novel...

I only posted the 5th and 6th part of chapter one.... believe me, a LOT of information was lost during todays episode.

Jun 4, 2014 2:25 PM

Mar 2014
That was a really interesting episode. At the end, I thought Sora & Shiro and Kurami & Fi were gonna kiss lol...
Jun 4, 2014 2:27 PM

Nov 2010
DarkMoonWolf said:
J87 said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
Kitoge said:

thank you. This show is amazing and this episode is one of the best that i have ever seen and there is a lot of information compressed in 20 min only (i can understand why though).

Actually today's 20 minutes covered the complete 1st chapter of volume 2 of the Light novel...

I only posted the 5th and 6th part of chapter one.... believe me, a LOT of information was lost during todays episode.

Well, we can only hope that Bluray version expands the episode. It was clearly visible that they tried their best to include as much as possible while keeping current and next episode cohesive. Apart from that... wow. Just wow.

Now excuse me, gotta read 3rd novel...
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Jun 4, 2014 2:27 PM

Feb 2008
ollythirteen said:

And that's why anime isn't real life... People like you who try to make realistic comparisons are silly, anime is FICTION, the real question you should be asking yourself is: "is the show interesting for me?" not "is this show realistic enough for me?" I'm not hating on your tastes, but when people start to compare anime to real life it just gets plain silly. If you really don't like the show, then that's that, and it's your opinion and people should respect it.

With that said, I enjoyed this episode, I loved the ending scene where they all cried.
Jun 4, 2014 2:30 PM

Jun 2013
Aurioch said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
J87 said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
Kitoge said:

I feel sad because they didn't adapt it all. I would have wanted to wait for one more episode, but oh well.. This fight was great in LN, but it was meh in todays episode.. And that meh was still pretty good. But I felt like they rushed it quite a bit.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jun 4, 2014 2:33 PM

Apr 2014
Yes! Sora is back! I love this episode and this anime so much. So emotional~ *tears*

But that ending though. LOL
Jun 4, 2014 2:34 PM

Nov 2013
Aurioch said:
DarkMoonWolf said:
J87 said:
DarkMoonWolf said:

Well, we can only hope that Bluray version expands the episode. It was clearly visible that they tried their best to include as much as possible while keeping current and next episode cohesive. Apart from that... wow. Just wow.

Don't forget to read the rest of volume 2 first... you need to know how and why the new companions will join Imanity.

Edit: typo
DarkMoonWolfJun 4, 2014 2:39 PM

Jun 4, 2014 2:34 PM
Apr 2013
@ Takuan Soho,

Your argument about "going to a duck farm and complaining that it has ducks" isn't entirely accurate here.

I don't care if the show is the most brainless of brainless ecchi, where the premise of a show is such that plot is discarded in favour of fan service (and I mean it literally here not the sexual connotation it has but literal pleasing of fans with action, or niche subject matter like cooking or a kind of sport) if you don't like the characters you'll be bored. It's that simple.

Daimidaler is a perfect example of no story no character zero entertainment. Comparing Baby Steps and Ping Pong the Animation, both sport anime, it isn't hard to see that the latter series is more entertaining while the former seems to go through the motions of its genre (explanations, tournament, training etc) almost in a documentary style manner.

The truth of the matter is characters carry a story. It isn't possible to have a story without characters and as such it isn't possible to have a strong story without strong characters.

No Game No Life whisks away two gamers to a fantasy world. But because these two characters and the rest of the cast they meet aren't all that interesting the story itself is pretty weak. Hell this show has more in common with a sport anime what with episode to episode featuring lengthy explanations and silly battles you know the MCs will win.

It just isn't exciting bar its cheap little thrills here and there and to say it isn't accurate to blame the characters because "the show is an ecchi comedy" is inaccurate.

No matter what the genre is if you don't like the characters (because you can't identify with them) it's perfectly natural to not feel engaged.

It's like happening upon a fight. Once the fight is over (or even before it's over) what are the first words out of your mouth? Aren't they "what happened?"

And then when you've learnt for example that person A, a known philanderer, banged Person B's wife, whom Person B sunk his life savings into wooing and starting a life with, your understanding of the event you witnessed deepens and you feel...involved (because 1. Person B's wife is hot and you understand the appeal and 2. You understand how Person B feels and sympathize with him).

It's only natural to want to identify with characters where stories are concerned.

There's such a thing as "throwaway" entertainment, sure, but that never had good connotations.

Jun 4, 2014 2:36 PM
Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't really sound like a person showing a lot of confidence in this shows overall appeal. Still the approach to try to convince people by what more or less looks like making concessions as to where the show falls short and dropping expectation levels is an interesting one. If you can somehow make it work then that's pretty impressive I've gotta say.

I'll just offer in the mean time that what if maybe just maybe the act of having to drop that expectation of strong characters in itself makes the show not particularly great for a lot of people. I mean not having strong characters to identify with and experience the show through.....that's a pretty big concession to make for some and can easily be the difference between good and mediocre or even poor. I hope you try to understand that as time goes forward.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not as "vested" in appeal as you are. I do not really care whether the show I like is popular or get so pissed when a show I hate is popular.

Besides, I like the characters and had already pointed out your mistake above.

This is going to sound cliche as fuck, but who are you really trying to convince with all of this hostility, you or me? You make it sound like you're already convinced of your absolute inherent and uncontestable and universal correctness every single time you go to interact with someone, but there's something that keeps nagging at me making me wonder if that's really the case and why it's so important that you win this grand argument you seem to feel you are involved in. Yes that's fine you like the characters, I and other people have a lot of problems with them though so again it comes down to different standards. Now you probably think it's a matter of people just watching it wrong or taking them the wrong way or whatever, but guess what, people are different and there's no right or wrong way to watch a show, just ones own way. You can't just force people to magically adopt a totally different context specific standard for a show and expect it to have the same effect for them I've always felt, it just cheapens the experience and the eventual end rating if you have to make concession after concession of your values and standards of quality just to arrive at a specific reaction or rating. Where's the genuine appreciation in that?

It's a shame you can't grasp this and be able to empathize with other viewers. In every interaction I've had with you or seen with others in this thread you never actually seem to make any sort of real attempt to have a pleasant normal discussion with others or share ideas with them so much as force it on them and act indignant when people don't just arbitrarily agree with you. People have been trying to tell you for weeks now that you are your own worst enemy when it comes to these situations and don't do the show or it's fanbase any favor with the type of behavior you show with the just anti-social, hostile and closed-minded approach to discussing it. I honestly feel at this point that if you didn't absolutely force yourself on people and into direct bitter contention with them every single time you see a post that doesn't exactly conform to your specific views on how to watch and react to this show that nobody would have any reason to pay attention to you anymore. It's pretty ridiculous and pointless man, like I don't feel like being hostile or critical of you on a personal level cause I feel that sort of thing inevitably leads nowhere in the long run and I'd hope it's the same with other people, but you practically give people no choice with your behavior. Very "bad manner" as they would say in a lot of online gaming circles.

Oh look it's you - again. Even I am beginning to wonder what kind of person are you to come on the threads of this anime, attack it and it's watchers again and again, get presented with valid arguments and ignore them or answer with a rant about us attacking you or some "opinion police" that you perceived as your mortal enemies and even after all that still come back? My fellow human, if you have any dignity and respect for yourself and other humans left, I urge you to leave us in peace with no more obnoxious and repetitive comments which do nothing but seed hatred. Your comments have clearly shown that you don't like NGNL, nor judging from the scores on your anime list, any similar show so I see no need for you to come here just to post walls of text spreading hatred towards you (are you some sort of "M" so you want to be hated and attacked).

As for the part about a specific standard for each show I pretty much do that with everything in my life. From history books (actual Books written by historians not that usually politically influenced crap in textbooks of most countries) to a turn-based strategy about ruling a Civilization, everything I try my best to observe from a clear unbased point without any expectations, that is why I pretty much dwell in subjects from History & Geography to video games & Anime. AKA I am almost as open minded as possible and I'm trying to always be even more open minded allowing myself to enjoy so many different things. So if you think that it is not possible to align views for each show accordingly to the idea and style of the show I think both me and a lot of people can do it. My record of highly enjoyed read/watched/played works from down right scientific to complete nonsensical ones proves that I can do it.
Jun 4, 2014 2:42 PM

Jul 2013
Decent episode for me.

The feels were there though.
Kurami: "Hmm, I'll tell you later." Fii's reaction after that lol. xD

Couldn't help but LOL at the end scene there. All 4 of them crying and saying "I was so scared"
SandyBoiJun 4, 2014 2:50 PM
Jun 4, 2014 2:46 PM

Jan 2014
Probably one of the best episodes yet. Man, what a game that was.
Jun 4, 2014 2:56 PM

Nov 2010
DarkMoonWolf said:
Aurioch said:

Don't forget to read the rest of volume 2 first... you need to know how and why the new companions will join Imanity.

Well, if the translation of Baka-Tsuki is complete, I already did it (it ends with ep8, right?) ^^ Volume 1 as well. I simply couldn't resist X)
astroprogs said:
If HF ended up being a single movie, what would it need to do so it can get a high score from all of you?

Not air.
Jun 4, 2014 2:56 PM
Apr 2013
* Yahzee,

Wow you're so right! Silly me! Of course anime isn't real life!

Um, there's just the little problem of anime being a form of art and the fact that the whole point of art is to emulate (copy) (real) life...

There's also the small problem that anime emulates real life so well that some people, REAL PEOPLE, do things like date, wank to and even celebrate the birthdays of fictional characters.

So yeah, I'm not sure your argument is a very strong one.

Of course it isn't real life. It borrows heavily from it, though, hence my hypothetical scenario of dull OP always winning game players being uninteresting BOTH in anime and real life.

Jun 4, 2014 3:01 PM

Nov 2013
The pace slowed a little bit down in this episode, and had to stretch my imagination to connect stuff (I haven't read the LN).

Overall though it was a great episode, loved the tiny back story we got and loved how to colors changed when the game ended.

Man I love all the colors that they use, simply beautiful.
Jun 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, I was far from the truth with all my guesses. Stop playing with my emotion NGNL!!

Sora was kinda lucky since they didn't what part of their existances would be lost during the game, it could have gone in a lot of ways.

Sora always give so much evil looks, but in the end, he's softer than a teddy bear :3
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 4, 2014 3:08 PM

Apr 2013
I read the chapter for this episode 2 or 3 times xD but the ending was way funnier in the anime for me xD

Great episode as always.

Jun 4, 2014 3:08 PM
Feb 2014
ollythirteen said:
@ Takuan Soho,

Your argument about "going to a duck farm and complaining that it has ducks" isn't entirely accurate here.

I don't care if the show is the most brainless of brainless ecchi, where the premise of a show is such that plot is discarded in favour of fan service (and I mean it literally here not the sexual connotation it has but literal pleasing of fans with action, or niche subject matter like cooking or a kind of sport) if you don't like the characters you'll be bored. It's that simple.

Daimidaler is a perfect example of no story no character zero entertainment. Comparing Baby Steps and Ping Pong the Animation, both sport anime, it isn't hard to see that the latter series is more entertaining while the former seems to go through the motions of its genre (explanations, tournament, training etc) almost in a documentary style manner.

The truth of the matter is characters carry a story. It isn't possible to have a story without characters and as such it isn't possible to have a strong story without strong characters.

No Game No Life whisks away two gamers to a fantasy world. But because these two characters and the rest of the cast they meet aren't all that interesting the story itself is pretty weak. Hell this show has more in common with a sport anime what with episode to episode featuring lengthy explanations and silly battles you know the MCs will win.

It just isn't exciting bar its cheap little thrills here and there and to say it isn't accurate to blame the characters because "the show is an ecchi comedy" is inaccurate.

No matter what the genre is if you don't like the characters (because you can't identify with them) it's perfectly natural to not feel engaged.

It's like happening upon a fight. Once the fight is over (or even before it's over) what are the first words out of your mouth? Aren't they "what happened?"

And then when you've learnt for example that person A, a known philanderer, banged Person B's wife, whom Person B sunk his life savings into wooing and starting a life with, your understanding of the event you witnessed deepens and you feel...involved (because 1. Person B's wife is hot and you understand the appeal and 2. You understand how Person B feels and sympathize with him).

It's only natural to want to identify with characters where stories are concerned.

There's such a thing as "throwaway" entertainment, sure, but that never had good connotations.

It is a bit ironic that now the ones who dislike the show dislike it for the reason I like it.

Just some episodes away everyone was going on about how this was wish fulfillment for NEETs and shut-ins, to which I strongly countered that it can't be wish fulfillment because you have characters that you can't indentify with (to which btw people referred as nonsense).

Now everyone goes about the reason I said this was a risky move by the author because it can make people hate his characters to which I was responded that that was no risky move at all...

You know sth, you guys are slow.

Now why I love this anime/LN for it: Because it is sth new! Why do we always need characters one can identify with?
They are not comedic villians or sth like that but still they are people who grasp every chance they can get and forget everyone else; just like most of the people in RL do...

The very concept that you NEED to identify with characters in a story is nonsense; the less you identify with them the less you get into their pace and the more you want to distance yourself from them, and where exactly stands that this is a bad thing?
Jun 4, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2013
Aurioch said:
DarkMoonWolf said:

Well, if the translation of Baka-Tsuki is complete, I already did it (it ends with ep8, right?) ^^ Volume 1 as well. I simply couldn't resist X)

You are absolutely right!!
Sorry I mistakenly said volume 2 when I should have said volume 3. Mea culpa!!

Anyway, please add that to your manga/novel list... It's easier to find out what you read before.

Also to answer your question:

Volume 3 - A Half of the Gamer Siblings Seems to Have Disappeared...?

* Chapter 1 - Sky Walk/Disassociation Method (todays episode)
* Chapter 2 - Blue Rose/Directional Method
* Chapter 3 - Killing Giant/Guiding Method
* Chapter 4 - Rule Number 10/Convergence Method
* True End
DarkMoonWolfJun 4, 2014 3:15 PM

Jun 4, 2014 3:13 PM
Oct 2012
ollythirteen said:
Daimidaler is a perfect example of no story no character zero entertainment.

Daimidaler has both character and story, it's a parody of "hot blooded/school robot series". It may not be to one's taste, or it may not be particularly well told, but it most certainly has character and story, and imo is entertaining for a borderline hentai series.

ollythirteen said:
Comparing Baby Steps and Ping Pong the Animation, both sport anime, it isn't hard to see that the latter series is more entertaining while the former seems to go through the motions of its genre (explanations, tournament, training etc) almost in a documentary style manner.

Perhaps not your best example in context of your comment about OP's that don't lose games, in that Smile has to date always won (except for when he quit playing) and in Baby Steps the lead player has lost. That said, I would agree that Ping Pong is more entertaining than Baby Steps as an animation, but that is less to do with the story, and more to do with the edgy style of Ping Pong and the fact that the appeal of Baby Steps is the slow methodical improvement that the player has, which the animation cannot capture).

ollythirteen said:

Fans of HP Lovecraft would say you are wrong. Horror doesn't need strong characters, neither do certain types of SF or Fantasy.

ollythirteen said:
Hell this show has more in common with a sport anime what with episode to episode featuring lengthy explanations and silly battles you know the MCs will win.

You don't watch too many sports animation do you? Besides as someone else pointed out there are plenty of suspenseful sports animations where the MC doesn't lose. Yawara would be another series you could add, and I would include Saki and Girls Und Panzer as two enjoyable shows where you know the ultimate victory, but still watch because you are enjoying HOW they do it.

One could say that Sherlock Holmes stories are dull because we always know that he will "solve" the crime (and yes, I know that there are 1 or 2 he didn't)

ollythirteen said:

I think you are missing the main point. The siblings were NOT supposed to be likeable. Calling them "neets" and "hikkomori" was not meant to make them sympathetic. They made this clear during the opening when the girl they beat in the video game was drooling on about "how cool they must be", and the next words shown were "unfortunately reality is never like that" (or something to that effect). The siblings are supposed to be unlikeable and then slowly become more likeable (for instance when Sora tries his best to find a reason to justify what Steph's father did, or Shiro this episode really missing her brother and both being happy to be reunited). Plenty of posts on this thread (and the father thread) from other people said how touching they found those scenes. Do all those people's opinions not matter?
Takuan_SohoJun 4, 2014 3:18 PM
Jun 4, 2014 3:16 PM

Feb 2008
ollythirteen said:
* Yahzee,

Wow you're so right! Silly me! Of course anime isn't real life!

Um, there's just the little problem of anime being a form of art and the fact that the whole point of art is to emulate (copy) (real) life...

There's also the small problem that anime emulates real life so well that some people, REAL PEOPLE, do things like date, wank to and even celebrate the birthdays of fictional characters.

So yeah, I'm not sure your argument is a very strong one.

Of course it isn't real life. It borrows heavily from it, though, hence my hypothetical scenario of dull OP always winning game players being uninteresting BOTH in anime and real life.

I wouldn't say that the WHOLE point of art is to emulate real life. Isn't art a form of expression from it's creator? Something to show an idea or perhaps produce emotion? Surely you've seen some forms of art that hardly emulate real life by your grand "definition".

And you're definitely quite alone on your opinion regarding winning people in real life are boring. Are you kidding me? Name me one type of winning game/winning sport team that isn't popular. Floyd Mayweather hasn't lost a boxing match, yet somehow A LOT of people keep watching him. The Miami Heat could very well be doing a 3-peat, and the New York Yankees are one of the most celebrated teams of all time, both are incredibly winning organizations. Sorry to say, but I don't see the connection you're making with "winning people in this show and winning people in real life are boring."

So, "silly me" for me bringing up an OBVIOUS fact, that you still fail to see.

Edit: You're entirely entitled to your own opinion, I'm not trying to convince you to like the show, I actually agree that the MC is fairly one dimensional. But when you post your own opinion with that kind of bashful mentality, what kind of responses do you think you're going to get?
yahzeeJun 4, 2014 3:29 PM
Jun 4, 2014 3:18 PM
Mar 2014
EPIC and mind-blowing. I can't pull story like this from hat. If You don't like go watch other thing You like. I didn't read LN but try cram a 25 min show and put in all that maters for people and for makers to go on. If you can do better hats off if not STFU!
10/10 madhouse rules!
Jun 4, 2014 3:19 PM

Apr 2014
so much walls of text

the ep was good but it was too short for me (maybe just for me) hope for an epic game against the werebeast
Jun 4, 2014 3:20 PM
Mar 2013
This could've gone awfully, but it turned out great!
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1021 by Cyberdre4ms »»
May 1, 11:41 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.