Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 2, 2012 5:03 PM
Mar 2011
fantomu said:
Because it is.

thast you view on every thing

i would not even put this in my top 5 Miyazaki works
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 11, 2012 6:00 AM

Feb 2010
I just watched it. And I didn't like it. Maybe I was expecting more. Ratings are deceiving.

I admit Spirited Away is better. But I still put them both on the same score.

This is just my opinion :)
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Aug 14, 2012 12:57 AM
May 2011
XxMalcolm said:

1) It was based off of a terribly written novel. It was hardly an original piece of work. Unless of course you consider the horrible plot holes/brutal pacing which leads to many wtf how did that happen or why did that happen moments. Then sure it is original.
Have you read it? I actually have the novel; and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it. it's completely different from the anime. I'm not going to defend the anime because I did not pay attention to the plot holes, but I'll defend the book because I've read it twice in the past week and it isn't at all 'terribly written' in my opinion. Don't base it off the the anime, because I've seen reviews that have said:
"Miyazaki took Wynne-Jones’ characters names and created his own story"

Which I can agree with.

And now I realise how you posted that in 2009......and now I proceed to post this anyway
Aug 28, 2012 8:01 AM

Aug 2011
I so much enjoyed random plots... lol
Sep 14, 2012 6:19 PM

Apr 2012
One of my least favourite Ghiblis. About on the level of the Cat Returns which was entertaining enough fluff at least. I think I only enjoyed Ocean Waves less.

Didn't find a reason to care about anything that was happening (there's a war you say? The king's witch wants to get Howl and do what to him? What she did to the Witch of the Waste actually improved that character so as long as there's some action w/e. Who are all these other bland characters doing very little?).

I especially didn't like how the king's witch basically explained the plot in 30 seconds then was never seen again.

"Grandma", the turnip and the fire were the best characters and the fire was the only one with a personality :(
Sep 28, 2012 11:25 AM
Oct 2008
5/10 Average.
Oct 1, 2012 3:31 AM
Sep 2011
This movie is indeed, not a masterpiece. It has some major flaws, such as the bad flow of the plot and some characters that are of no need to the development of the plot. However, it is a beautiful fairytale. Miyazaki is a great story - teller, who gives an ingenius touch in every aspect of the story. The music was also good and the animation very good. But it falls far away from the epic fellings that Spirited Away gave us, a movie that is masterpiece.

This movie in my opinion is plainly good, 7/10.
Jan 29, 2013 9:25 PM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
I am really tired of all the forum topics that say such and such is overrated, or why is this anime so highly rated. Everyone has different tastes and preferences in their anime viewing. This anime is aimed a children but has enough creativity and a good story to appeal to adults who can still remember what it's like to be a child. I enjoy all of Ghibil's anime because Miyazaki knows how to put himself in a child's mind.

It's one thing to say that you didn't care for an anime, It's OK to say you didn't like the plot or the art style, but to act like anyone that likes an anime that you think is rubbish is stupid or ignorant or inferior to your brilliant intellect is just sad.
Mar 16, 2013 3:00 PM
Dec 2010
Maybe i expected too much because of high rating.
I don't wanna say this movie was entirely bad it had one big plus "originality" but overall it wasn't Great (8.71 ~ 9/10). It would be nice to see more of development of characters and also their relationship(s) . It made me doubt character's sanity or seriousness of their thinking, sometimes they act illogically as if piece of story was missing. Due to that it had lower impact on me as viewer.

So yeah I'm one of those who thinks it's overrated. I'd give it 7-8/10.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Apr 4, 2013 10:49 AM

Feb 2012
Viewers may have been sidetracked from the plot after seeing awesome animation, superb soundtrack, the wonders of magic/sorcery and how charming the male MC is. But if those elements weren't present or isn't as good as it is, you'd see so many flaws and loopholes in the plot that weren't actually resolved. I watched the english dub and enjoyed most of it, until i realized how much of a mess the plot was. The visuals and audio were so amazing that it tends to distract the viewers.

When I started watching this, I was amazed at the story (basically everything), but after halfway to 3/4th of the story, I started getting confused at what was actually happening. I was waiting til the end to get my answers but it never was disclosed. I asked my older brother who watched this years before me, and he wasn't quite sure as well. Don't get me wrong, there were many funny and enjoyable moments in the movie. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it wasn't a total flop either.

6-7/10
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 9, 2013 6:49 AM

Apr 2013
Nyaa~ I am a fan of Howl! He is curious and caring even though he doesn't seem to know it! Not only that but he seems to find very deep interest in different things
Apr 15, 2013 4:03 PM

Sep 2008
xxxHolic_Waltz said:
XxMalcolm said:
Clearly you are a huge Miyazaki fanboy and will not be removed from that fanclub anytime soon. I will probably reply within a few days since I do not religiously right essays defending a bad movie.

Oh and the animation was great as I said. Unfortunately you can not read very well.

As a whole this is a bad movie.

Congrats on stating your opinion, although childishly resorting to name calling works against you, making your opinion seem less credible, since you can't even show respect for someone else when they state theirs.

Anyway, I like several of Miyazaki's works such as Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. In the early 2000's, most of those movies were released in the US, and generally could be found in sets of two later on. They were advertised as family films, and I believe that's partially why some of those titles are more known than his others, and thus more popular.

I don't have a problem with the lack of info on certain aspects of the story, especially since a lot of his movies contain references that aren't common in the West, and sitting there, attempting to explain it would simply ruin the atmosphere of it. If you can't sit there and enjoy it for what it is, then that's too bad for you, but sitting here and arguing about it is a waste of time. It's called MyAnimeList for a reason, not YourAnimeListForMe. People get different things from movies. Every time I think of some of his movies, it reminds me of watching them with my family. If you can get something good from this movie, that's great. If not then simply, rate it as such and move on to the next one.

Damn man, this post is like a mobius strip. The beginning of this post can be used to reply to the end of it, and the end of the post can be used to "back up" the beginning of the post.
May 3, 2013 3:05 AM

May 2013
The reason? It's because Anime these days suck. It makes this anime look MUCH cleaner than the ecchi anime rampages these past few months. THIS is the reason why I came back to the old fashioned anime. And spirited away too.

Anyways, If you didn't enjoy this, You must like some pretty serious anime then. This is a light-hearted anime That needs not explaining of every single detail. It is meant to sweep you off away by the plot, the characters, The thrill and everything. But The magic of these kinds of anime isn't visible in everyone's eyes. It's just needs a little understanding and watching whole-heartedly.

May 4, 2013 2:30 AM

May 2013
Nidstang said:
Because it is.

Agreed.

May 4, 2013 2:34 AM

May 2013
Jym said:
I am really tired of all the forum topics that say such and such is overrated, or why is this anime so highly rated. Everyone has different tastes and preferences in their anime viewing. This anime is aimed a children but has enough creativity and a good story to appeal to adults who can still remember what it's like to be a child. I enjoy all of Ghibil's anime because Miyazaki knows how to put himself in a child's mind.

It's one thing to say that you didn't care for an anime, It's OK to say you didn't like the plot or the art style, but to act like anyone that likes an anime that you think is rubbish is stupid or ignorant or inferior to your brilliant intellect is just sad.

Those are My exact words. If you have a problem with a certain anime, Keep it to yourself. It'll give you nothing in return if you shamelessly post a thread about how "overrated" this movie is.

May 5, 2013 9:17 PM

Apr 2012
but anime fans are probably the least critically-minded of any fangroup. Most modern shows are rated 8+ here. Reviewers give shows 10 even when they admit tons of flaws. It helps to have some balance and hopefully ends up in studios making a better effort in their product if people are willing to highlight the flaws.
Feb 14, 2015 4:14 PM

Dec 2013
XxMalcolm said:
Good animation does not warrant a top 30 ranking. I thought it was going to be really good after the first ten minutes but then it just all fell apart. =[

Yeah, that's the problem with all Ghibli movies. They have a good premise but the stories are just ehh.
Apr 27, 2015 8:43 AM

Jul 2014
Actually I think it's Miyazaki's peculiar way of directing movies. Al least, that's what I thought when I naively watched the movie back in 2006. I still think it's more a plus than a minus.
Nov 25, 2015 6:52 AM

Jan 2012
DateYutaka said:
fantomu said:
Because it is.

thast you view on every thing

i would not even put this in my top 5 Miyazaki works

Agree fully with Date

Nov 25, 2015 7:00 AM

Jan 2015
Well, I'm not that big on Ghibli (although I admittedly haven't seen that many), but I thought it was fine (6/10). Not as good as Spirited Away or Mononoke, but at least better than Totoro. That one is overrated. Of course, as I said before, anything seems overrated to you, if you don't like it.

At least the war theme was somewhat intriguing.
Mar 14, 2016 12:00 AM
Feb 2016
XxMalcolm said:
I can not understand why this movie is held in such high regard on this site. Howl's Moving Castle was a complete mess and had absolutely no flow to it. The only reason I could fathom that this movie has any inkling of a fanbase is strictly due to Miyazaki's influence.

nah....maybe you couldnt see the deeper meaning in it....its totally a metaphoric anime talking about a certain theory of love....and a very deep one at that...

you see, love cannot be put into words or anime at all, at its highest level...so it can only be even partially expressed like how it is done in howls moving castle....

and also, this love is not the sex-thing....its talking about real love inside all humans...:D

Linkark07 said:
It had great animation, no doubts about that, but I don't think this movie deserve such a high score.

Incoherent plot, Sophie young voice was awful, many questionable parts.

7/10 in my books.

AlexSadist-sama said:
Well, I thought it was okay. It was thought-provoking. However, it's not my top anime.
It also felt like the ending was rushed.
Oct 28, 2016 10:20 PM

Apr 2015
I love Howl's Moving Castle. I've watched it several times and each is better than the last. I often watch with my two young children and it's something we can all watch and enjoy as a family. Currently it's my son's favorite movie.

While not the best anime I've seen,I'm always captivated by it and it keeps me entertained. We all have different reasons for liking a movie or show and those reasons don't always make sense. Maybe it's nostalgia our maybe I don't have a reason.I simply know I like it and I enjoy sharing it with my children. it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.that's what's great about personal tastes. The only opinion that matters is your own.
"You babble on about how you want to know, but you're never prepared to handle it. To know means to be prepared to know. Once you find out the truth, there's no going back. You can't ever go back to being the way you were, blissful and unconcerned.'' -Nezumi; No. 6 (Light Novels; Volume 2, Chapter 5)
Aug 18, 2017 5:57 PM
Aug 2017
How somebody can rate Lucky Star a 10 and then shit on literally any other show in existence with such vigor is actually beyond me
Aug 18, 2017 6:55 PM
Jun 2009
S4LT said:
How somebody can rate Lucky Star a 10 and then shit on literally any other show in existence with such vigor is actually beyond me

Howl's Moving Castle is bad, that's why
Apr 18, 2019 5:17 AM
Jan 2018
So people want stuff spoon-fed to them when watching .. got it
Dec 13, 2019 6:03 AM
Oct 2018
XxMalcolm said:
I can not understand why this movie is held in such high regard on this site. Howl's Moving Castle was a complete mess and had absolutely no flow to it. The only reason I could fathom that this movie has any inkling of a fanbase is strictly due to Miyazaki's influence.

I absolutely agree with you. This movie was average at best.
Dec 31, 2019 6:07 AM

Jun 2015
XxMalcolm said:

Because it is a great movie.

Jan 1, 2021 3:27 AM

Jul 2019
Lmao at you people resurrecting a 10 year old thread. The guy was initially complaining about Howl being in the top 30 in MAL back in the day.

Still though, funny how one says the guy was right then another users comes to say the exact opposite. Such a divisive movie haha.
Jan 11, 2021 12:27 PM
May 2014
Finally watched it together with my wife, and while she loves Disneyish movies, she admitted that the movie was really bad and a total mess. So now I tried to understand why it has such great scores, since MAL scores rarely are off, I usually agree with them more or less, but not this time. And I found this thread and read the comments. Funny thing is, that people "whining" about it being bad at least can throw some arguments why it is bad, but people who liked it are like "it might have flaws, but I don't care, I love it!", so... Yes, it's pretty overrated and upvoted by fanboys.
Jan 13, 2021 9:55 AM
May 2020
jodwig said:
the movie was really bad and a total mess. So now I

Well, since people that hated it insist on insulting the ones that liked it (the great majority, BTW) , let me do the same:

People that didn't like Howl's Moving Castle are really emotionally and intellectually stunted.

They want "plot exposition" in the form of people TALKING about "what's happening" and "EXPLAINING" thus to the audience.

They are too dull to understand that in a magical world, these people are USED to magic being a common component of daily life and don't have to come and explain the audience "ah yes the spell works here and like that and it was invented in 1436 by a mad wizard blah blah yadi yada and is broken by..."

No, much like you don't explain cell phones or what Android or Windows is to your classmates, wizards don't need to explain what spells do, specially to eachother. Most of the characters are magical/initiates and the rest are aware of magic so there is nothing to "explain"; this is immersion.

Furthermore a maxim in movies (and writing) is known as "SHOW, DON'T TELL". You know what would REALLY ruin the pacing of the movie? 20 minutes of exposition after anything new happens!

So either you decide to intuitively go with the flow of the world, or you decide to think "Well I wasn't explained this in a dialog adressed to me whcih carefully lays out what happened in siumple words, so I refuse to enjoy it!". If you are in the second group, in my eyes you are frankly stupid. There is no way around it.

Howl's Moving Castle, much as the castle itself, is set in a living, breathing, self-contained world which in many ways is different to our own. If you are unable to imagine that, then it's your problem, not the movie's.

I did think the last 15-20 minutes were rushed towards the conclusion (the "safehouse" period is too short for my liking; they destroy the new house nearly as soon as it is made), but that is not a failure of "explanation", just of pacing, and it doesn't run through most of the film where pacing works normally and events unfold naturally enough.

The war portions are very spot on in also showing the horrors of carpet bombing, the draft, and so forth. While the setting seems semi-westernized some scenes are made pretty much to reflect Japan's feeling in the home island during WW2: A "glorious send-off" to their conquering sea vessels while people believe the propaganda, then see them trashed, then they get firebombed (as USA did). So it not only has a romantic message, it also has a good and realistic ideological anti-war message, which you can see is heart-felt from cultural experiences and not just for virtue signaling.

Plus, you see the same reviewers that trash this film... you go to their profile and have like 10/10 rating of slice-of-life comedies , or zombie apocalypse survival stupidity (probably highly rated only by zombies, as well). So I woudn't say these are the most discerning of reviewers one can find.

Anyways, I would have given this a 9/10 representing something that can improve in a few minor areas, but to counteract the naysayers, I will have to give it a 10/10
Jan 17, 2021 12:03 AM
Dec 2020
That movie were be my first movie
I love it so much
After watching many legendery animes
I became wonder the same as you
I think the correct rate is 7.93 coz it is not alot amazing in the idea
Aug 2, 2021 4:14 PM

Aug 2020
I feel like this show has a lot of people having amazing memories with the film. It is visually stunning, but some of the characters are weak (and some make 0 sense at all), and the story doesn't make too much sense.

But I gave it a 7 because I kinda enjoyed some of it.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Howl no Ugoku Shiro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Cele - Dec 3, 2009

164 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 22, 11:00 PM

» Can someone explain why Sophie felt the need to destroy Howl's Castle?

Golden_Cheese - May 29, 2023

10 by voltaxx123 »»
Jan 22, 11:21 AM

» How was Sophie able to venture into Howl's past? Why did that black door appear?

Golden_Cheese - May 30, 2023

5 by namazuFish »»
Jun 3, 2023 1:29 AM

» Im so confused

_txhsin__ - Apr 3, 2023

5 by Dazaihah »»
Apr 5, 2023 6:03 AM

» Is it because of the animation?

Bogenvilia - Jan 12, 2022

31 by Asudox »»
Oct 7, 2022 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.