Favorite PeopleNo people favorites added
I am an artist/photographer and taught Photography and Photoshop at a community art school. Recently retired.
I discovered anime rather late in life. I probably do not fit the profile of the typical fan. I have always loved animation as well as the underground comics that were so popular in the 60's and 70's. What really got me started with anime was Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away. I loved his ability to connect with his inner child. I too love to go back and feel like a child again, that feeling of magic and wonderment. I watched all his movies that Disney brought to the US. I also was intrigued with the differences between the American and Japanese culture and mythology. Their culture was so fresh and interesting to me.
I am also very interested in the difference between the inner workings of the human mind and our public behavior, the innocent child, the erotic fantasies, wanting to love and be loved and the dark, demonic thoughts that most of us have. My tastes in movies run from The Princess Bride to Kill Bill and a great independent film called You, Me and everyone We Know. My tastes in Anime and Manga/Hentai run the same.
I used to only watch completed anime series and movies that I could find new or used at stores or on Amazon. I now watch anime series online through Crunchyroll. Funimation, and a couple of other sites.
Speaking of Subs vs Dubs, I have started watching a lot more series in Japanese with English subs and I am getting used to hearing and appreciating the Japanese language but, trying to read the subs while watching the animation causes me to miss critical action or I'm not always able to read the subs if they go by too fast. So I guess I will take the dubs if I have a choice.
About my rating system: I don't claim to be an anime expert. I don't know Japanese so I can't comment on the quality or accuracy of the subs or dubs. As long as the music doesn't hurt my ears I'm OK with it. I rate my anime on the enjoyment I get from it, the art style or look of it, the originality of it and if it can hold my attention. I have given so far over 50 10's which I must confess is probably too generous but they still reflect my appreciation of the stories. For the most part I will drop anything under a rating of 5 unless it is short or I bought the DVD in the bargain bin. Low ratings don't always mean I think the anime is bad, they may not fit my interests or are aimed at a younger audience. Everyone's taste in anime is different and I will never put down someone for liking an anime that I don't like.
My List of CRAPPY Anime that's Fun to Watch:
These are B list anime that is so bad it's fun to watch. Starting with the lowest rated to ridiculous over the top gore and blood, Monsters that make you laugh, as well as bad dialogue and poor animation.
- Mars of Distruction - This 20 min. OVA is the lowest rated anime on MAL. Famous for it's corny dialogue and plot, wooden animation. When a girl with her head blown off is brought to the hospital, the doctor sadly informs her friends, "She won't Make it".
- Apocalypse Zero - This 2 episode OVA is the most hated anime for it's sickening bloody violence but it's really misunderstood. The monsters are cartoony, the animation and characters are good. Granted, this is not for the kids. Best scene is when a 20 foot fat naked woman sucks the face off a helpless student. This is a parody of horror anime.
- Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gotaman - OK, you gotta admit that with a title like this, it has to be an enjoyable crappy anime. This 45 min. OVA is just plain fun. It's about a devout Christian girl, Mari, who goes to a private Religion Academy. There her friend is kidnapped by the Black Buddha cult which want to brainwash everyone into the cult so they can take over the world. Mari prays to God for help, but instead, Buddha appears and transforms her into Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gotaman, wearing a sumo wrestlers belt, boots and not much else. This is a fun ecchi parody.
- Call Me Tonight - Phone sex worker/call girl helps a guy who turns into a monster whenever he gets sexually excited. 30 min. OVA. Funny.
- Doomed Megalopolis - This one tried hard but couldn't stand the test of time. The acting got pretty silly and corny at times. It's a classic.
- Agent Aika - This action comedy may hold the record for number of panty shots per episode. It has been estimated at over 4 separate panty shots per minute, plus numerous bare boob scenes. For maximum fun be sure to watch the crappy dub version.
- Garzeys Wing - Boy' spirit is split and pulled into magic world where he is hailed as the hero Garzeys Wing. He helps slaves escape evil king. Story is corny but fun to watch, the Dub is so bad it adds to the enjoyment.
- Eiken - Silly Parody of every Bad Ecchi Anime with Giant Boobies, Panty Shots, Swim Suits, Banana Eating Girls, high school harem romance. Check out the Yoghurt slide. Over the top Crappy fun.
- Del Power X - 1986 parody of a school girl mecha anime. Crappy art, crappy music & lyrics, poor voice acting. Fun crappy anime, it's only 40 min.
More to come.
My Favorite Mature Anime:
When I say Mature Anime, I am referring to creativity and/or complex ideas, disturbing concepts and just good writing.
- Elfen Lied - Violent, emotional, heartrending and loving. One of my favorite animes. Some people hated this but I think if they wait awhile and watch it again they may appreciate it more. Definitely for Mature viewers.
- Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne - Immortal women P.I.'s, sex, sadism, angels, gore and good story.
- Tekkon Kinkreet - Unique animation style about 2 street kids that depend on each other.
- Haibane Renmei - Slow paced but magical and spiritual
- Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari - Very artistic animation, you will love it or hate it.
- Hanada Shounen-shi - Bratty, loveable kid sees ghosts, forced to help them. Funny!
- Jarinko Chie (Chie the Brat) - Ten year old Chie, "the most unfortunate girl in Japan", who manages her family diner while her unemployed yakuza father and her mother are separated. Actually quite funny.
- Usagi Drop - Single man raises a 6 yr old girl no one wanted. Sweet and touching. Some like it, some don't.
- Aishiteruze Baby - Similar to Usagi Drop but more humor. HS student playboy forced to care for 5 yr old girl, learns responsibility.
- anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day - You Will cry at the ending, but it's a good cry.
- Death Note - another controversial show that elicits strong emotions pro and con. I loved it! Rated #1 in popularity.
- Mushi-shi - Beautiful and original story.
- Witchblade -This US/Japanese co-production brings a Japanese interpretation to the story. I liked it. The child was wonderful.
- Kemonozume - A brutal adult love story with cannibalism, gore, sex, nudity, and very creative & artistic, Man loves a beautiful monster.
- Kure nai - Exciting drama. 16 yr old Kurenai is a master of an arcane martial art and an experienced professional mediator with a long track record of resolving disputes. His latest job is to protect 7 yr old girl from a bizarre fate. What a rush!
- Shigurui: Death Frenzy - Beautiful and Artistic but violent, bloody and disturbing. One-armed Fujiki Gennosuke and blind Irako Seigen fight each other to see who who will succeed their insane Master.
- ef-a tale of memories. - Touching and sad love stories.
- Serial Experiments Lain - An artistic nightmare, designed by Yoshitoshi Abe.
- Texhnolyze - Bleak and depressing but a work of art
- Ergo Proxy - Work of anime art, exciting story
- Steam Boy - Beautiful visuals & animation, great action, very exciting
- Baccano! - Immortal gangsters, bloody gore, humor, romance. It has it all.
- Katanagatari - unique, dialogue driven. Human sword.
- Kino's Travels: The Beautiful World - Wonderful episodic storytelling reminiscent of Mushishi or Gulliverâs Travels
- Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone - A controversial and interesting study of teen relationships and sibling love.
- Mirai Nikki-The Future Diary - Group of people with future predicting cell phones fight to the death to become God. A real mind F**k.
- Shiki - Classic Vampire story with a twist, who is more evil, Humans or Vampires? Emotional, tragic, bloody gore fest. Feel sad for both groups.
- Planetes - Very well done and realistic show about life of space debris collectors on a space station in 2075. Romance, drama, adventure.
- Ghost Hound - Eerie, psychological, out-of-body mystery adventure. Great story, great music. A real gem.
- Colorful (Movie) - Dead boy gets 2nd chance at life. Very moving.
- Michiko & Hatchin - A modern Cowboy Bebop, great graphics, gritty story and satisfying ending.
- Jormungand - Action, adventure about charismatic female arms dealer who has a scheme for world peace. Nice.
- Samurai Girls - This is the best Ecchi Action Comedy I have seen. The art and animation is beautiful!!! Fun story, beautiful girls, nice romance.
- Kurau Phantom Memory - A beautiful and well written sci-fi story about a girl sharing her body with an alien entity which gives her amazing powers. A hopeful story about relationships and what it means to be human.
- Black Lagoon - Seasons 1 & 2. This action epic is a blend of Kill Bill and Cowboy Bebop. The toughest, deadliest characters are all women with hearts of stone! Blood and gore abound with edge of your seat excitement!!!
- Asura - A dark bloody drama that follows the struggles of a feral young boy who did whatever it took to survive during a time of war and famine in medieval Japan. Great message about compassion and redemption.
- Bokurano - Very depressing, Powerful, Disturbing, Sad but Hopeful. Teens tricked into fighting deadly mecha to save Earth. But at a heartbreaking cost.
My Favorite Cute, Funny, Magical, Heartwarming and/or Romantic Anime:
- Spirited Away and all anime written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki
- Aria the Animation, the Natural and the Origination - Peaceful slice of life on Aqua
- Squid Girl - (She is adorable) She came to conquer the land dwellers, but...
- Fruits Basket - I probably shouldn't have liked this. - Cute girl lives with cursed boys.
- Rozen Maiden - Living dolls must fight each other. Beautiful artwork, unique story.
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Great romance about girl who jumps through time to fix mistakes she made and gets into trouble.
- The World God Only Knows - Dating Sim Master must free girls from demon possession by making them fall in love with him...or else!! Funny and clever.
- Bakuman - Great slice-of- life story about 2 High School boys who decide to become famous Manga Artists.
- Moyashimon - Strange comedy about a teen who can see and talk to cute, chibi bacteria and other microscopic organisms. Funny and educational.
- Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit - As good as Ghibli studio work.
- Natsume's Book of Friends - a boy who sees and befriends demons and spirits. I loved this so much.
- Aishiteruze Baby. Heartwarming story about a HS playboy forced to take care of a 5 yr old girl. Sweet not pervy.
- Tweeny Witches. Wonderful Ghibliesque story of a human girl trapped in a magical world. Don't let the title scare you off.
- Natsuyuki Rendezvous - Great mature love story. Man pursues widow but is thwarted by ghost of her dead husband.
- Chuunibyou... - A wonderful slice-of-life high school comedy romance about teens with âEighth-Grade Syndromeâ Defined as ones who admire mystical powers and recreates them in reality through their imagination. Highly recommended.
- Mysterious Girlfriend X - Bizarre romantic comedy about a boy who tastes a strange girl's drool and becomes addicted to it. Wonderful.
- Girl Demon Zakuro - Romance between a girl who's a half spirit paired with a soldier to resolve the issues between spirits and humans. Nice animation, good story.
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Scary, touching love story between a boy and a cute ghost who haunts a school.
- Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror - A magical CGI adventure about a girl who goes to the land where all forgotten objects end up. Great family anime.
- Welcome to the Space Show - Similar look and feel to Oblivion Island. Great family adventure.
- Kamichu! - A middle school girl overnight becomes a god. This show is uber-Cute! Great slice of life for all ages.
- Nichijou (My Ordinary Life) - A cute, funny, touching, oddball, absurd, slice of unreal life school comedy. I loved it.
- Mitsudomoe - 11-year-old Marui triplets have very different personalities, get their slob of a Father in trouble and make life difficult for teacher. Quite cute, perverted and funny.
- Jarinko Chie (Movie) (Chie the Brat) - Ten year old Chie, who manages her family diner while her unemployed yakuza father and her mother are separated. She is one tough little cookie. Fun comedy.
- Future Boy Conan - Early work directed and storyboarded by Hayao Miyazaki _This has all the Miyazaki magic that you come to expect in his Studio Ghibli career. Wonderful!
- The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki - An instant classic, similar to many of the Ghibli films.
- Yobi, The Five Tailed Fox - Korean anime, Young shape shifting fox joins a school for maladjusted children. Space aliens, fox hunters and shadowy figures make this an exciting and touching adventure.
- Miyori no Mori (Miyoriâs Forest) - Nice story about a girl forced to move in with her grandmother in a small village. She sees spirits and learns she has been chosen to be the Guardian of the Forrest. (Movie)
- Mai Mai Shinko to Sennen no Mahou (Mai Mai Miracle) - Heartwarming story of the importance of friendship. (Movie)
- Nijiiro Hotaru:_Eien no Natsuyasumi (Rainbow-Colored Fireflies: The Eternal Summer Vacation) - Sweet love story. Boy goes 30 years in the past and meets his future love. (Movie)
- Kyousou giga (TV)] - Crazy, Artistic and Creative. Children of Gods run amuck trying to return home. Loved it.
- Uchouten Kazoku (The Eccentric Family) - Wonderful slice of life of a shape-shifting Tanuki family living in Kyoto. Very original supernatural comedy with a touch of suspense.
- Kappa no Coo to Natsuyasumi - Modern Tokyo, boy finds young Kappa (Mythical water spirit/demon) preserved in a large rock, takes him home, revives him, adventure ensues. Great slice of life, realistic, good charaters. Must see.
- Gosick - A great gothic mystery and a very touching love story. I loved this.
My Favorite unusual, offbeat, offensive and funny Anime:
- Binbougami ga! - Outrageously funny, crude, satire, heartwarming. About a girl with too much Good Luck! Watch it!
- Humanity Has Declined - Funny, satirical, clever comment on society and the anime industry. Loved it.
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - Gross, vulgar and one of the funniest anime I've seen!!!
- Upotte!!- Story about a Girls Academy where the girls are assault rifles from around the world & they're quick on the trigger.
- Chuu Bra!! - A school girl starts a panty and bra club to teach other girls about how to choose the proper fitting bra and cute panties. Very educational.
- Charger Girl! - Ecchi, baseball bats and urine, what more can I say :-)
- KissxSis (OVA) - Sisters love their brother too much! Funny & dirty.
- B Gata H Kei - Virgin girl enters High school, wants to have 100 sex friends by graduation. Good Luck! Actually kinda sweet and cute.
- Astarotte's Toy - Cute, not pervy. Really!
- MM! - Highschool love story about perverts, funny.
- Ike! Ina-chuu Takkyuubu-The Ping Pong Club - A classic example of Gross, Ecchi, Juvenile, Potty Humor that is actually quite funny and well done.
- Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei or Goodbye Teacher Despair - High School teacher is so full of despair he want to end it all, instead he has a class of students more messed up than he is and he actually helps them. Wacky enjoyable comedy.
- Is This a Zombie? - A very funny and enjoyable mash-up of many anime characters & genres, Zombies, Vampire Ninjas, Magic Girl, Necromancer, penguins, Harem, Ecchi, and a boy who keeps getting dismembered. Totally outrageous.
- Inukami! - Slapstick comedy out of the mainstream. You must watch it to believe it.
- Aachi and Ssipak â Bizarre story about society that uses human shit for energy and rewards prolific poopers with addictive Juicy Bars.
- Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san. (TV) â Another gross, silly, fun story about detective and cute assistant who use chibi like demons to solve cases.
- Qwaser of Stigmata - Unique Superpower, supernatural action anime that's also an over the top parody of boob and panty ecchi. Hero gets his energy recharged by sucking Soma (life force) from virgin's breast. Good story and action.
- Detroit Metal City - Reserved young man goes to Tokyo and becomes the Satanic lead singer for DMC, a death metal band, but all he really wants is to sing sweet love ballads, Outrageous, gross and funny!
- Kuuchuu Buranko (Trapeze-Welcome to Irabu's Office] - A crazy artistic work about crazy people being treated by a crazy like a fox doc who has his own quirks.
- Oruchuban Ebichu (Ebichu, The Housekeeping Hamster) - A gag anime about a Hamster that does house chores for her master, a 25 yr old Office Lady. Ebichu loves her master and will do anything to keep her happy. It is violent, twisted and obscene but oh so adorable and funny. Not for the kiddies. Great translation notes at the beginning of the episodes.
- Roujin Z (Old Person Z] - futuristic, satirically funny, morality tale about a solution for caring for elderly people.
- Potemayo - What is Potemayo? It's been described as "cute on crack" Watch it.
More about me
Iâm a lot older than most of you age wise, but I have never looked or acted my age. Growing up I was socially withdrawn and very shy. I read a lot of comic books. Not until I went to art school in Grand Rapids, MI and made some great friends who saw my potential and made me into the unique individual / eccentric I am today. I have always loved cartoons and comic books but it wasnât until the early 70âs that I discovered the underground comic phenomena. Here were artists putting on paper some of their deepest, darkest and twisted thoughts. They were pushing the boundaries of socially accepted ideas and images. I didnât necessarily agree with everything they did but I was impressed that they had the guts to expose their fantasies to the public and even risk arrest for breaking the strict obscenity laws of that time. So you can imagine how I felt when I recently discovered Japanese anime. The range of ideas and fantasies dealt with in contemporary anime blew me away. No topic was taboo. I was like a kid in a candy store with a no limit credit card. I have seen stories that have made me cry, laugh, cringe, smile, warm my heart and get my heart racing. Sometimes all in the same show. Like me, the Japanese anime artists can be wonderfully perverse, incredibly sensitive and childishly silly. I love you Squid Girl.
Watched my 300th anime! - 1-13-2013
Watched my 400th anime! - 3-19-2013
Watched my 500th anime! (So Ra No Wo To) - 5-12-2013
Just watched my 600th anime! (Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door) - 7-31-2013
Just watched my 700th anime! (Asura) - 12-3-2013
Just watched my 800th anime! (Kill la Kill) - 4-7-2014
Don't forget to check out my blog below of my Personal List of Creative and/or Artistic anime.
View Jym's BlogLast Blog Entries
My Personal List of the most Creative/Artistic Anime that I have Seen
10-15-12, 4:46 PM Edited 04-09-13, 7:40 PM
The real, final, happy ending to Elfen Lied! [Anime}
11-27-12, 8:01 AM
Displaying 15 of 344 Comments
Write a Comment