Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 30, 2014 11:49 AM

Dec 2008
It doesn't have to be a character with a huge amount of development, or development that you consider to be the most complex. Just something you found particularly interesting. :)

For me I like Gon's. It just seemed pretty unusual and out of the ordinary, and I also like its unpredictability.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 30, 2014 11:51 AM

Jan 2012
Meruem : killer fighting style

May 30, 2014 11:51 AM
Jan 2014
Kite because he's by far the most professional Hunter we've seen in HxH series. He actually does hunting and contribute to the world by discovering new species and investigating the biology of the nature.
May 30, 2014 11:55 AM

Jan 2014
Killua, I believe he's had the most development out of all HxH characters, such a grand extent of a change since we were first introduced to his character. 2nd would be Meruem; his development has been spectacular thus far.
May 30, 2014 11:57 AM

Nov 2011
Killua. Killua's reaction in the episode where Gon sits while watching Pitou heal Komugi just embodied his entire development up to that point so well. From being raised as an cold-blooded assassin to being so invested in his friendship with Gon. A simple reaction brought out so many conflicted feelings inside Killua and me, as a viewer. Gon's vengeful and Killua's melancholic expressions in the ending very effectively depict their change from the start of the show.
May 30, 2014 11:57 AM

Dec 2012
I would go with Killua. His development made me sympathize with him, which is a first in this series. I liked his look and state of mind regarding Gon development. And I liked his final decision regarding it.

I however absolutely disliked his character development regarding Illumi, I can't believe it was just a Nen needle all along, takes away lot from the psychological impact of his brother control over him, plus it was draggy and annoying. So I specifically like his development in the invasion, and the election arc.

Overall I don't really care for him to be honest.

Other than him, I don't think I like any other character development, so he just wins by default I guess.
May 30, 2014 12:05 PM

Jan 2013
Killua. And the ant king. I don't care much for them though.

The characters I like don't need development. I doubt they will ever be given any.
May 30, 2014 12:16 PM

Jan 2014
Meruem, best shonen villain
Gon's is the most unique main character in the genre, and the best.
Killua's, shoot, knuckle's
Royal Guards, Pakunoda, Kurapika, Genthru, Welfin, Gyro's, Knov,

Toooo many to list one.

Most overlooked, and most fascinating: ants collectively. Epic development en masse. For god's sake how can one handle an entire race and build them like that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2009
Meruem. Watching the ants develop to be more and more "human" has been fascinating, and I think Meruem best represents this. He is a lot like a child, going by instinct at first but slowly but surely becoming more "aware" and questioning what his purpose is. His games with Komugi and growing to enjoy being challenged, wondering if he has the right as King to end a life on a whim, wanting to talk it out instead of facing Netero in a fight, and so on. Also, the parallel between him and Gon is great stuff. Just a pretty intriguing antagonist through and through, imo. My favorite part in an excellent arc.
Ston3_FreeN7May 30, 2014 12:19 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 30, 2014 12:17 PM

Apr 2011
Hisoka.

at first I was like: "Meh typical shonen clown character"

then I was: "Holy shit best homosexual awesome character ever"
May 30, 2014 12:19 PM

Aug 2011
Kurapika. Although we have not seen that much development from him.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
May 30, 2014 12:20 PM

Nov 2011
Valaskjalf said:
Hisoka.

That's not development though. Hisoka has always been that way in the show.
May 30, 2014 12:22 PM

Jan 2014
MissileSoup said:
Valaskjalf said:
Hisoka.

He develops his interest in a whimsical manner.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Dec 2012
lebron181 said:
Kite because he's by far the most professional Hunter we've seen in HxH series. He actually does hunting and contribute to the world by discovering new species and investigating the biology of the nature.

Kite didn't have development.

So...
May 30, 2014 12:26 PM

Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:
lebron181 said:

So...

He had, remember young Kite?
May 30, 2014 12:27 PM

Nov 2011
judals said:
MissileSoup said:
Valaskjalf said:
Hisoka.

Development in that sense, sure. But not character development. Just like Gon wanting revenge for Kite is not character development. Gon turning ruthless in his path to avenge Kite is character development.

Now people are just listing their favorite characters.
May 30, 2014 12:27 PM

Dec 2012
-Zeaos said:
tsudecimo said:
lebron181 said:

So...

That's not character development. That's a back story.
May 30, 2014 12:30 PM

Jan 2014
MissileSoup said:
judals said:
MissileSoup said:
Valaskjalf said:
Hisoka.

Development in that sense, sure. But not character development. Just like Gon wanting revenge for Kite is not character development. Gon turning ruthless in his path to avenge Kite is character development.

Now people are just listing their favorite characters.

Gon wanting revenge entails him turning into something else; development.
Hisoka's unpredictable character lets him have this unique sort of development phases. Much as Machi described him.

Jan 2012
MissileSoup said:
Valaskjalf said:
Hisoka.

He is not homosexual- he just got excited when there is a fight whether opponent is female or man

Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:
-Zeaos said:
tsudecimo said:
lebron181 said:

So...

That's not character development. That's a back story.

Oh god.
May 30, 2014 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
Oh god what? there is a difference between developing a character in the current storyline/timeline of the series, which is Character development and giving a character a back story.
May 30, 2014 12:52 PM
Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:
Oh god what? there is a difference between developing a character in the current storyline/timeline of the series, which is Character development and giving a character a back story.

Backstory is still considered character development. Anything that elevates the characters development should be included as character development.

Being too technique brings out these oxymoron.
May 30, 2014 1:36 PM

Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:

Oh you just didn't say that.
May 30, 2014 1:47 PM

Dec 2012
I'm lost.
May 30, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:
I'm lost.

It's alright.
May 30, 2014 2:02 PM

Dec 2011
Killua: One friendship made him think twice about cold-blooded murder.

Meruem (and the ants in general). Seeing them regain their humanity (for both the good and bad) is fascinating.

Welfin who was always overly suspicious and could never tell the truth.
May 30, 2014 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
Kurapika. Fuck yes, i loved the Yorknew arc so much, atleast in the '99 version. You can really feel what he's going through, being the last of the Kurata clan. Him killing Uvogin,who's supposedly the strongest of the Phantom Troupe. It was just a blast to watch... In the '99 version..
May 30, 2014 2:03 PM

Feb 2013
lebron181 said:
tsudecimo said:

Backstory is still considered character development. Anything that elevates the characters development should be included as character development.

backstory=character fleshing out AKA letting us know why the character is what they are right now. Backstory does nothing to develop a character further since all that shit was in the past.
May 30, 2014 2:18 PM

Dec 2011
GreenSoap said:
Kurapika. Fuck yes, i loved the Yorknew arc so much, atleast in the '99 version. You can really feel what he's going through, being the last of the Kurata clan. Him killing Uvogin,who's supposedly the strongest of the Phantom Troupe. It was just a blast to watch... In the '99 version..

I loved the scene where Kurapika saw the fake corpses of the Phantom Troupe. How would one describe his feelings at the time? Regret? Despair? Or an emptiness from an unfulfilled vengeance?
May 30, 2014 2:42 PM

Nov 2011
judals said:
Gon wanting revenge entails him turning into something else; development. Hisoka's unpredictable character lets him have this unique sort of development phases. Much as Machi described him.

The part about Gon is exactly what I said. Not sure what your point was there. Hisoka is interested in the strong, and does whatever he wants. Unless that changes, Hisoka has no character development. Being unpredictable doesn't mean constant character development.
MissileSoupMay 30, 2014 2:48 PM
May 30, 2014 2:59 PM
Jan 2014
gedata said:
lebron181 said:
tsudecimo said:

backstory=character fleshing out AKA letting us know why the character is what they are right now. Backstory does nothing to develop a character further since all that shit was in the past.

Honestly I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

Character development is the process of creating a character's background, physicality, appearance, and personality.

That means anything, I mean ANYTHING, that adds to the characters understanding of who they are are considered character development.
May 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Jan 2014
MissileSoup said:
judals said:
Gon wanting revenge entails him turning into something else; development. Hisoka's unpredictable character lets him have this unique sort of development phases. Much as Machi described him.

The part about Gon is exactly what I said. Not sure what your point was there. Hisoka is interested in the strong, and does whatever he wants. Unless that changes, Hisoka has no character development. Being unpredictable doesn't mean constant character development.

Being unpredictable does however mean alternating character development based on interests. So yeah, it is development unless one-way street dev. Is tbe only thing on your mind regardng that.
May 30, 2014 3:06 PM

Dec 2012
Hahaha. Don't change already established definitions for your own convenience.

I can't believe such a simple terms has so misconceptions. If that's what character development is, then why bother even have a term for it. You are basically describing what a character is. Smh.
May 30, 2014 3:08 PM
Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:

I can't believe such a simple terms has so misconceptions. If that's what character development is, then why bother even have a term for it. You are basically describing what a character is. Smh.

I can't help you if you already have a close-mind coming in this discussion. Only by researching it yourself would you understand it.
May 30, 2014 3:08 PM

Jan 2014
gedata said:
lebron181 said:
tsudecimo said:

What are you talking about? They add something to the present, that's development, they add backstory, present becomes development itself. There's also present characterization that just builds them up as they go, and there are flashback/non-chronological characterization too, so that's 4 types. All very effective if done properly.
May 30, 2014 3:10 PM

Dec 2012
lebron181 said:
tsudecimo said:

I can't help you if you already have a close-mind coming in this discussion. Only by researching it yourself would you understand it.

Oh jeez.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharacterDevelopment

Please give a valid source to your nonsense before asking me to research shit.
May 30, 2014 3:14 PM
Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:
lebron181 said:
tsudecimo said:

Oh jeez.

Instead of posting a link, why can't you just explain it in your own words instead of just leisurely copping out.

You disagree that backstory should be considered as character development but you haven't really given a contribution as to why it shouldn't be.
May 30, 2014 3:18 PM

Aug 2011
tsudecimo said:
lebron181 said:
tsudecimo said:

Oh jeez.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Flashback/AnimeAndManga
May 30, 2014 3:21 PM

Dec 2012
Do I need to a make a definition when something already has one? what's the point.

tsudecimo said:
Oh god what? there is a difference between developing a character in the current storyline/timeline of the series, which is character development and giving a character a back story.

There is nothing more that needs to be said. But to expand on something that should be fairly obvious. A back story build up a character, and show how they reached their current state, it doesn't change them in the current storyline or make them dynamic since it's from the past, it's just an exposition. Kite's characterizations didn't change from where Gon found him till he died, thus he didn't undergo character development.
May 30, 2014 3:25 PM

Jan 2012
So far I'm loving the pink koala's development.
you sound poor
May 30, 2014 3:26 PM

Mar 2014
MetalxSoldier said:

Lol what.

Yeah, he's pretty cool. Gets very little screentime, though.

For me, it would have to be Gon.
May 30, 2014 3:26 PM

Dec 2012

And?

This helps your point how?
May 30, 2014 3:30 PM

Oct 2012
MetalxSoldier said:

Most sensible character in the series imo
May 30, 2014 3:33 PM

Oct 2013
MetalxSoldier said:

We need a separate anime with that guy as the protagonist.... lol
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 30, 2014 3:44 PM
Jan 2014
You can't explain in your own words how backstory is not considered character development but somehow saying what is the point if the definition is already given to me? So people are suppose to be sheep following whatever without understand the term?

There are million different terminologies that can be explained for character development but if you're not ready to defend your reasoning, then why debate it?

In the HunterxHunter 2011 anime adaptation they skipped the whole Gon and Kite meeting that is very important to establish the relationship and give us the reason why Gon suddenly took the journey to become a Hunter. Kite was the first hunter Gon had met and he became a father figure to him. Gon respected Kite very much and learned important life lessons which made their bond close to an actual father.

Now, people who are anime viewers became confused as to why Gon cared so much about Kite and would go so far as to commit suicide in order to have vengeance upon Pitou. This is were I find Madhouse to have made the mistake of skipping the part and having the whole story revolving Kite be shown only after post-Greed Island.
May 30, 2014 3:46 PM

Nov 2011
judals said:
MissileSoup said:
judals said:

Being unpredictable does however mean alternating character development based on interests. So yeah, it is development unless one-way street dev. Is tbe only thing on your mind regardng that.

Yeah, completely wrong. Unpredictable based on interest? Lets see. Hisoka takes an interest in Gon: because he sees potential in Gon. Hisoka joins Heaven's Arena: to fight Kastro. Hisoka joins Spiders: to fight Chrollo. Hisoka enters Greed Island: to bring back Chrollo. Where's the change in interest? Hisoka lusts after strength, that is the reason behind his actions. Furthermore, unpredictability isn't character development. e.g. Gon wants to eat steak. Suddenly he wants to eat pasta. Not character development. Hisoka has absolutely no development. Either you don't understand Hisoka, or you don't understand character development.
MissileSoupMay 30, 2014 3:59 PM
May 30, 2014 3:55 PM

Dec 2012
lebron181 said:
You can't explain in your own words how backstory is not considered character development

I already did genius.

lebron181 said:
but somehow saying what is the point if the definition is already given to me? So people are suppose to be sheep following whatever without understand the term?

I guess you are right. I'm going to stop being a sheep and have arbitrary definitions to everything.

I mean are you even seeing how stupid this is? there is a definition to the term, that seems logical and efficient. Do I need to make a new definition to make a point?

lebron181 said:
There are million different terminologies that can be explained for character development but if you're not ready to defend your reasoning, then why debate it?

No there is not, and you have yet to explain how is having a back story directly relevant to and one and the same as character development. Am I supposed to just believe whatever unfounded nonsense you come up with?

lebron181 said:
In the HunterxHunter 2011 anime adaptation they skipped the whole Gon and Kite meeting that is very important to establish the relationship and give us the reason why Gon suddenly took the journey to become a Hunter. Kite was the first hunter Gon had met and he became a father figure to him. Gon respected Kite very much and learned important life lessons which made their bond close to an actual father. Now, people who are anime viewers became confused as to why Gon cared so much about Kite and would go so far as to commit suicide in order to have vengeance upon Pitou. This is were I find Madhouse to have made the mistake of skipping the part and having the whole story revolving Kite be shown only after post-Greed Island.

That is completely irrelevant to Kite's character, and whether or not he had character development. That is relevant to Gon, his relationship with him, and the character development that was catalyzed by it.

Showing Kite earlier would have made no difference to the point you are trying to make. Unless Kite was introduced with different characterization before the Chimera Ant arc, which he wasn't.
May 30, 2014 4:12 PM
Jan 2014
tsudecimo said:

Showing Kite earlier would have made no difference to the point you are trying to make. Unless Kite was introduced with different characterization before the Chimera Ant arc, which he wasn't.

Fine, let's agree to disagree on the whole backstory and character development since this back-and-forth discussion is getting nowhere.

I picked Kite as my favorite character development in HxH. So what you're saying is that Kite had no character development, therefore he should not be in this topic?

If that is where you're going with this, then Kite was already introduced in the manga/anime1999 version. He was already given a character development before the Chimera arc happened.

So saying that Kite had no character development when he was one of the first characters introduced in HxH is preposterous.

And even if you're ignoring that, the Chimera arc gave more understanding of his personality and characteristic.

Mod Edit: fixed error in quote.
ThangLongMay 31, 2014 10:12 AM
May 30, 2014 4:13 PM

May 2014
Killua, then Meruem. Their development has been masterful.
May 30, 2014 4:18 PM

Dec 2012
I will not agree to disagree. You aren't basing this ''back story is character development'' thing on anything or expanding it, but yet have the audacity to tell me to do that. I think you know you are wrong and just don't want to admit like the rest of the internet population when it comes to any argument.

So what if he was introduced in the beginning? was he or was he not, introduced with different characterization to his Chimera ant character. That's what matters, the rest is irrelevant. Listing Kite, is the same as listing Hisoka, just listing your favorite character, because neither of them had any resemblance of character development.

Giving more understanding of the character is fleshing out, it doesn't mean he was developed. Building up characterization =/= Character development. Good example of this is Pitou and Pouf. An example of undeniable character development is Meruem and Youpi.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.