Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Aug 31, 2011 2:02 PM
Mar 2011
Nice show but i was hoping all the way to the end that Maria and Canaan would get together but nothing happen so i found the ending little boring. But over all it was a good show. ^^
Jan 10, 2012 2:53 AM

Jul 2009
definitely should continue the story :D

woah Alphard surviving that fall is amazing O_______O

and yeah Cummings became a buddhist wow.

it's kinda sad to see Canaan and Maria separated but they have to if they want to be strong through the end.

glad to see the two Canaans pictures on the wall of the museum :D

we definitely need to know what happens next and how Alphard will react to Canaan.

though they are scenarios that didn't get any explanation.

the UA virus didn't had a big impact in the story to be honest :(

it seems to have a bigger role on 428: Fūsa Sareta Shibuya de which Canaan scenario came to be.

hoping they would animate that as well!!!!

also the Snake group didn't saw the leader(or could it be Alphard) or even Yuri Natsume's CIA group and how they manipulate things.

i also got confused how Yuri said early on how Maria doesn't remember anything or just playing dumb.

and who was the white girl below the cave that looks like Canaan!!!!

it's almost 3 years now since it's last air showing, we want more!!!!!!!! .____.

all in all despite some confusion and lack of backstory and explanation in some other things, definitely enjoyed it :D

9/10 :P

*EDIT i also forgot Lang Chi didn't show up and really died huh??? she was sooooooooo crazy O_______O

and what happened to Alphard's other Arm??? :P
SomaHeirJan 10, 2012 10:29 AM
Feb 14, 2012 7:40 AM

Aug 2011
I guess it wasn't too bad. Then again most of the characters really annoyed me. The only ones I actually liked were Minoru and Alphard. And the relationships between the characters weren't really to my taste.
The series on the whole wasn't entirely bad, there were a fair few things I didn't like, but there were also a lot of things that I did like.

PrinceHeir said:
and what happened to Alphard's other Arm??? :P

She shot her arm off when Canaan wouldn't let go of her on the train.
Mar 25, 2012 7:58 AM
Mar 2012
i thought the ending was almost perfect and yes i agree, maria was a quite annoying character towards the end, but just to clear some things up for everyone, the reason maria didnt die was because alphard didnt want that, the whole point of the episode was for canaan to see whats actually there instead of reacting to her feelings, alphard knew maria wasnt going to die she just was trying to push canaan into a slump for a easy (or as i would call it a pussy ) victory but actually canaan realizes tht maria isnt dead and alphard was just trying to get into her head, thusfore the whole clear realization thing, and then actually she gets into alphards head. and the whole reason alphard didnt kill her was because she didnt want a victory like that, and as she said at the end she wanted to be rid of saiams ghost (spell check -.-), but all in all the show gets a 8.5/10 i still think they could of stretched the show out quite a bit longer, but all in all still pretty good, although it would be better if there were a season two,
Mar 27, 2012 11:36 PM

Nov 2011
Ahh, a rare little gem that I watched awhile ago. Pretty interesting tbh, I mean girls with guns? Who doesn't love that?
Apr 6, 2012 5:42 AM

Jan 2012
i quite enjoyed the ending, wasn't as action packed as what I thought it was going to be.... but nonetheless still acceptable, really good to see alphard alive, (that kept my rating at 8) and i even grew to like yunyun especially for her efforts in that final episode :)

Cummings as a monk was rather random but I had a smile, and I was almost certain the taxi driver would have a little part even though there was no crazy driving or singing... So yeah overall loved this anime a few flaws but nothings perfect, willl reccomend to my friends for sure :)
Apr 7, 2012 12:59 AM

Oct 2011
good series, good ending. gonna miss Maria Osawa xS
Nope.
Apr 9, 2012 3:16 AM

Sep 2010
So... why did Alphard kill Siam again? That's the only thing I never really caught.
May 6, 2012 9:40 PM

Sep 2011
AngelicFeces said:
So... why did Alphard kill Siam again? That's the only thing I never really caught.

Not targeting you specifically but I don't get how so many people missed this, not to mention it seems like most people missed what Alphard's goals/motives were all about. The main 'twist' is the fact that Alphard had been jealous of Canaan all along, and that it was actually Alphard who was more dependent of Siam than Canaan was. Canaan learned how to move on, while Alphard clinged to the past. Alphard killed Siam out of jealousy towards Canaan for feeling as though she was less favored by Siam.

The reason why she doesn't kill Canaan at the start of the series is because she was merely taunting Canaan, tormenting her by getting her to fight with other people who were infected by the Ua virus to make her feel as though she's not so special. She did this to mock Siam's idea, to prove that Canaan isn't as special as he thought she was. Alphard only decides to kill Canaan at the end as she feels that she's just weak and worthless unlike what Siam thought of her, but that's until Canaan started fighting back with no self-doubts.

I liked this anime, it wasn't a masterpiece by any means but it turned out pretty great and actually better than I expected. Not to mention it wraps up all the key loose threads giving closure to all of the main relationships between the characters. There's nothing wrong with the "life goes on" kind of ending, as the main point of the story and the conflict between both "Canaans" have already been resolved. Also contrary to popular belief it DOES NOT need a 2nd season.
ronriSep 14, 2012 6:20 PM
Jun 3, 2012 8:19 PM

Dec 2007
I'm kind of surprised that this show doesn't get more recognition from yuri fans. Canaan and Maria pretty obviously have something between them. It's a lot more blatant than a lot of popular "yuri subtext" shows, actually.

All in all I was quite impressed with this. It was far from perfect, but definitely an enjoyable show. It did a surprisingly good job tying up loose ends, too. 9/10 from me, bumped up the score a bit because of the yuri.
Ich verstehe nicht
Jul 6, 2012 12:37 PM

Aug 2008
what noone would do that crap shooting your arm to cut it off? what a idiot , better shot canaan once in her arm to let you loose then that ...
Jul 6, 2012 5:01 PM

Sep 2011
lakisa said:
what noone would do that crap shooting your arm to cut it off? what a idiot , better shot canaan once in her arm to let you loose then that ...

I'm guessing that you simply missed the point of the symbolism behind it...
ronriJul 8, 2012 7:51 PM
Jul 8, 2012 7:43 PM

Jun 2012
Stringed said:
I'm kind of surprised that this show doesn't get more recognition from yuri fans. Canaan and Maria pretty obviously have something between them. It's a lot more blatant than a lot of popular "yuri subtext" shows, actually.

All in all I was quite impressed with this. It was far from perfect, but definitely an enjoyable show. It did a surprisingly good job tying up loose ends, too. 9/10 from me, bumped up the score a bit because of the yuri.

I agree completely. The wikipedia page for yuri doesn't even mention Canaan, but it lists shows with significantly less subtext. Half the reason I love the show is because of the yuri subplot. (the other half is because I'm in love with Alphard)
lakisa said:

That scene was one of my favorites in the series. Try watching it again; there's a more powerful message than meets the eye.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Aug 6, 2012 12:52 PM
Jun 2012
this show is a bit disappointing. i was expecting more action :(
Aug 9, 2012 10:45 AM

Feb 2011
I really liked the ending , it pulled a 9/10 .
Sep 14, 2012 8:48 AM
Aug 2012
I really enjoyed this series. Here are my thoughts regarding it as a whole.

-The animation was pretty solid. The first episode really shined in my mind.
- Yeah I guess it's cool that Alphard survived (how? no idea. but if Maria can survive a bomb going off a few feet from her while having just taken a gut shot then...LOL). Overall, however, as bamfy as Alphard was I don't really think I can forgive her for treating Liang Qi (a faithful, useful, and somewhat sexy second in command) like such a dog. Poor Liang :(!
-IDK if it was just me, but I got serious yuri vibes from essentially all of Maria and Canaan's interactions. Maybe it was just me, though, but I'm kinda thinking the writers had some fun with that ^_^

-I'm really disappointed we aren't getting a sequel. This show still had some serious momentum to swing into a second season! Alphard is apparently alive and kicking despite being handicapped now and Canaan looks like she's primed to go. The ideal sequel would involve more awesome action, Nene's single going global top forty, and oh yeah right Canaan and Maria finally getting together.
Oct 18, 2012 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
A friend of mine recommended this very warmly, so my expectations might have been pretty high, but that doesn't change the fact that this was a major letdown. Maria spent the whole time being an annoying moe who needed saving constantly, Canaan fired her gun and ranted about Maria, and Liang Qi went batshit. I liked Alphard, Hakko, Santana and Yuri though; to me they were the only interesting characters, and I'd have liked to see more of them.

This anime was mediocre at best, but because I liked a few of the characters, the rating goes up to 6/10.
Nov 18, 2012 5:30 PM
Sep 2011
The ending weas extremely stupid. Why the fuck would they not even include Canaan and Maria meeting up at least ONCE again?

There was no fucking reason.
And why the fuck are people here saying it's "far from perfect" and give Canaan a 9/10? Are you stupid?
Nov 18, 2012 11:42 PM

Sep 2011
Aurrod said:
The ending weas extremely stupid. Why the fuck would they not even include Canaan and Maria meeting up at least ONCE again?

They met up one last time, seems you might have missed it.

Now if you're talking about why they separated and never met each other at the end:
Aurrod said:
There was no fucking reason.

They simply moved on with their own respective lives after Maria realized that she can't force Canaan into a normal life since Canaan herself seemed content with her lifestyle. Canaan lives the life of an assassin, Maria is simply a photographer, that's more than enough reason for them to go their separate ways.

Aurrod said:
And why the fuck are people here saying it's "far from perfect" and give Canaan a 9/10? Are you stupid?

Welcome to reality, it's called having an opinion.
Dec 8, 2012 11:35 AM

Sep 2011
8/10, was an entertaining and fun short series to watch. I was hoping they would meet up near the end, also Alphard still alive at the airport lolwut.
Dec 11, 2012 8:29 PM

Sep 2011
Man this really needs a second season! Great ending in my opinion.

So happy Alphard is still alive (though I don't understand how), dunno why. xD
Dec 26, 2012 12:04 PM

Dec 2012
I watched another awesome anime. I am really glad I watched Canaan. The ending was really something, painful thought of Canaan and Maria not being able to continue their friendship physically ,
a stroke of light giving hope for both of them because they will always be connected by heart. This light will never fade.
Continuation of normal life (well if you can call Canaan's life normal from an outsider perspective ) .
I think I took this anime really deep. And the main issue for me in it was unconditional love for someone or something from which you gain unlimited strength to protect it, no matter the cost. Some of us would describe it as dreams, some passion and some would call a name when they think about their light.

Every time when I will think about the name Canaan I will recall an unbreakable bond that I share with my own light and about the power this light gives me to aim for my dreams and desires.

I am really thankful for starting this series and appreciate all the hard work put into it so we can all enjoy it.

Thanks.
Cheers everyone.
~ExcellionMaster

私の大好きな光ずっと 守るよ。いつでも、どこでも。。。
Mar 17, 2013 3:53 PM

Aug 2010
I'm glad Alphard lived at the end. This show had its ups and downs, but it was enjoyable and the action scenes were pretty good. Overall I give it a 7/10.
Apr 2, 2013 2:17 PM

Feb 2012
Really only watched because of Alphard so I was kinda of disappointed when I found out she wasn't as bad ass, as I expected her to be. Still a decent series.
May 25, 2013 3:05 PM

Jan 2012
After i watched all 13 episodes- I give this anime 7/10

Jun 1, 2013 8:53 PM
Jul 2012
Oh well, theres' that from making me want to watch episode 12 and 13. Thank god I ain't waste my time watching both of the episodes because of the shitty useless characters. And looked at the comments if Marie and her stupid friend died,but nope they still alive. Fuck you both. This series is only worth watching for Canaan,Alphard, Lq clan, and the taxi driver.

6/10 ugh dumb ending.
Jun 2, 2013 4:53 AM

Apr 2010
I also think that Alphard's still alive. There's too many circumstances that'd legitimize it.
Imo beautiful ending. I love this moment at the gallery at the end. ;w;
Jun 10, 2013 3:44 AM

Jun 2012
Great ending actually, I was surprised, very fulfilling end.

Well, kind of disappointed Maria didn't die, but at least it was Yunyun who saved her. Also good that things have changed, the relationship b/w Maria and Canaan.
Also disappointed that Alphard was so surprised by Canaan's reaction after the bomb. Once her expectations weren't met, we know the fight is pretty much over. Was good while it lasted, though.

Okay, okay, so the MG3 has a rate of fire of over 1000 rpm, and this hacker (Canaan) dodged those shots. . . my life is a lie.

Good that Mino pays respect to Hakko and Santana with his new "scoop".

Not a bad series, but not great either. Was kind of confusing, especially having only 13 episodes, so kind of compact. The gunfights were nowhere near as cool as in Jormungand (watched Canaan due to recommendations from Jormungand). Jormungand is better in probably all aspects in my opinion, but again, this wasn't bad.
Probably a 6 or 7 out of 10, small possibility of an 8.

Favorite scene was Santana's death, very powerful and well-done.

Jun 21, 2013 5:31 PM

May 2012
Well that was a pretty great ending actually! I liked how everything rounded up and even the epilogue giving the viewer the imagination what would happen with canaan next!

I sure liked this anime, it had quite a decent story development and a proper pace, combined with some awesome action it sure managed to make my evening interesting!

A pretty decent anime in general I'd say.
Aug 22, 2013 10:38 PM

Oct 2012
the ending was okay but i wanted maria and canaan to meet again
RRRRRRRRRR
Feb 7, 2014 9:17 PM

Dec 2012
It was an okay Anime, it was indeed enjoyable. It had its up and downs but still decent.

The only thing that annoyed me was how Maria survived the explosion, it made zero sense (I have nothing against her, but still)... So, Yun Yun was able to jump off the train, run to the other half, which was at least 3/4 miles away, hop through the broken window, pull Maria onto her back, jump back out the window, and clear the blast radius.... In under 30 seconds??

Maria's survival had no logic behind it, there's just no way she should have survived... Well if not for Canaan and Alphard then it would have gotten a lower rating. I give a 7.5
Feb 20, 2014 12:33 PM

Aug 2008
Maria was annoying till the very last episode. I wanted to scratch my face off every time she went into one of her monologues. And most of this episode was just her talking.

The only characters I ended up liking were Alphard and Hakko and Santana. Oh and Yunyun of course.
Feb 26, 2014 3:18 PM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm, what to say . . . Well the ending was kind of . . . Honestly it didn't make a whole lot of sense with the logic as to why they couldn't hang out anymore. I mean does Canaan have to be a mercenary? No. I found the ending for Cummings to be somewhat funny, but overall it was a very anticlimactic ending and kind of just started back at square one almost. Anyways, overall I would give the series a 6/10.
Jun 5, 2014 8:36 AM

May 2013
i like how this show make a fool of usa

so i will give it 5/5

9/10
Sep 9, 2014 6:07 PM

Jan 2011
"Amazing"
Nov 7, 2014 5:30 PM

Feb 2014
Pirating_Ninja said:
Hrmmm, what to say . . . Well the ending was kind of . . . Honestly it didn't make a whole lot of sense with the logic as to why they couldn't hang out anymore. I mean does Canaan have to be a mercenary? No. I found the ending for Cummings to be somewhat funny, but overall it was a very anticlimactic ending and kind of just started back at square one almost. Anyways, overall I would give the series a 6/10.

You took the words out of my mouth.
I completly agree.
It's exactly what I think.

In my opinion, love (romantically talking or not) as we see, between Canaan and Maria, should surpasses these "world" of differences between Canaan and Maria.

I think it's just again that "good" and old cliche of not putting the mains together because of "different" world that they live. I really hate this...

My score to the series: 7-8/10
TechOtakuNov 23, 2014 3:15 PM
Nov 25, 2014 1:14 PM

Dec 2012
An action packed resolution in the first half and a well paced epilogue in the second. Alphard's true ambitions finally come to light, which made me think back to what Siam says about the goal vs personal desire. Alphard severing her arm was brutal but really hammered down the idea that "she's out there somewhere" when she's in the airport at the end. I really enjoyed how this had an explosive amount of well choreographed action while also exploring the psychological state of the characters simultaneously. Lots of showing and less telling.

A bittersweet departure between Canaan and Maria, but it appears that both transformed each other and have grown as a result of their brief encounters. I like what Canaan says towards the end about how she'll always be able to sense Maria.

I think my favorite part of that photo exhibition of Maria's was seeing the name "Canaan" next to both Alphard and Canaan's photos. It really drove that part home for me.

As a whole this series has some really intriguing concepts and themes as well as references and was able to blend that together well with its stunning aesthetics and awesomely awesome (pulling a Maria here!) action.

8/10
ZekkenshinNov 25, 2014 1:18 PM
Apr 15, 2015 2:24 PM
Nov 2010
The characters' traits and designs were both really likeable. The story was decent.
For the last episode, I don't think they should have shown Alphard and Cummings as part of the epilogue.

Overall, a good show that I'm glad to have finally decided to watch.
Jun 20, 2015 2:57 AM

Mar 2015
Alphard vs Canaan scene was excellent with a different fighting environment.
Damn!!! Alphard tore off her arm using gun. How the hell did she survived from that fall?
Most unacceptable moment is how did Maria survived from explosion that close?!!?? LOL
That's impossible, right?

So Canaan can use color of observation (haha).

WTF yoo~~~!!! CUMMINGS!!!! Why you chose the path of monk??! Damn!!!!

Overall: 7/10
Aug 24, 2015 6:22 PM

Feb 2014
Yunyun to the rescue! Lol
Sep 2, 2015 9:18 AM

Feb 2015
mediocre anime but the action scenes are superb, the last 3 ep are very good
6/10
Sep 7, 2015 4:32 AM

Jun 2014
5/10 because the action and the animation was good
alpha_shadowSep 15, 2015 8:42 AM
:3
Dec 26, 2015 2:43 PM

Aug 2013
Dumb ending, wtf are you talking about? I think you guys are fans of dumb mindless shows and this one was not for you.
Ending was awesome like whole series.
PA Works are never not disappointing (ok excluding Uchouten Kazoku). Great atmosphere, likable characters, pretty good plot for action show.
9/10
Btw animation would be amazing if they wouldn't be using cheap CG, I didn't like that running scenes in full 3D :/
rsc-plDec 26, 2015 2:47 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 20, 2016 11:44 AM

Feb 2015
this anime is one of my fav seinen anime. it's just too realistic and complicated like what i want from seinen. it felt like i was watching hollywood movies tbh :D

but there is still one thing that confused me; which is what is the reason alphard killed siam in the past if she didn't want to kill him at all instead she want to free him from cannan ? i'm guessing it's because siam choose cannan more than her ? she felt being betrayed by him and killed ? well, if that really the case, then i make sense to me. so i'm just gonna stick with that. and so alphard tried to killed cannan....nope....tried to destroy her physically and mentally (?) cause that the only thing which came into my mind considering that she was trying to kill maria. or maybe you could say that she was trying to kill cannan's light so that she would went despair but instead she didn't.

tbh, that characterization is one hell of a complicated ones from what i have seen from many anime so far. seriously, it took me a while to connects everything and realized it.

Overal thoughts on the series, it was great seinen series tbh with two sides story. the POV from the reporter and the POV from cannan. "a group of people who suddenly met a bunch of bad people doing bad thing" pretty much sums up the story and i like a lot moreover it takes place in shianghai from the beginning of this series until the end of this series which made it looked more interesting to me :D. it's complicated and confusing sometimes, but i enjoyed it from overall points, moreover with that kind of animation was being used in the action scene. it's so badass and enjoyable to watch. i really appreciate that kind of animation being used in this kind of anime, cause animation wins a lot of point for the enjoyment to me xD

9/10 for this anime, or more spesifically 8.7/10
i prefer they made it into a trilogy movies/seasonal movies tho...
that would be looked more awsome imo. but either way, i still enjoyed and liked this anime. great anime overall. thx for the show P.A Works xD
Jul 23, 2016 12:32 AM

Feb 2016
So, I'm not a hater, but I just watched Canaan because of it's recomendation at the Black Lagoon page, and I gotta say, Black Lagoon >>>>>>>>>>>> Canaan...

Canaan it's far behind from Black Lagoon, just because it has some girls and guns they are similar? LOL C'mon....

Besides that, I was going to give this anime a score of 5, but just because Alphard is beautiful I give this anime a 6, no longer said this anime is so OVERRATED.

PIECE
''Ask not the Sparrow, how the Eagle soars'' - Kiryūin Satsuki
Aug 17, 2016 2:12 AM

Jun 2011
I thought it was really confusing throughout, especially the plot, it's either a cliche one (probably not for its time), or just really hard to understand. Certain character's motivation is also unclear. They didn't really explain a lot either about their world. Some of the things that happened is also really weird, like at the very beginning, people were killed and the bystanders didn't care at all. I know it's trying to squeeze that scene into the whole theme of Maria's motivation and Canaan's character, but it felt really forced without further reasons, felt more like plot devices.

I am also not too fond of the relationship between the "mute" girl and that 2 guys.

Most of the characters are not very likeable, the only one I would say I enjoyed was Yunyun, just a girl who's trying to be cheerful all the time, trying to look into the good side of thing rather than the bad side.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 2, 2017 1:59 AM

Oct 2012
I'm pretty sure there are some things they forgot to include into this anime
Oh well
The ending is good, but not really satisfying and pretty for me
Kinda wish Canaan, Maria, YunYun ended up together till the end
Maybe Mino become bar owner with all 3 of them helping? Yeah...

Cummings is alive
Taxi driver is alive and healthy
Yun Yun is alive and kicking

I can't ask anything more than that
"Signature removed"
Aug 30, 2017 7:14 AM

Oct 2015
ah cannan the one that had so much potential but turned to trash throughout. The plot was wobbly and characters dull as a Sunday it made my disliked anime looked like masterpieces. This is the lowest I have rated so far and my top hate. The director or creator were lazy and desperate on this one, no rewatch ever.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 20, 2017 9:55 AM
Mar 2015
I loved that moment when Mino turned off tv, realized it was such a depressing scene and started singing that silly song XD.
Ikiiiterundayooo!!! ♪
Even if the holder is broken, the lamp still shines on. Use its flame carefully.
Dec 19, 2017 1:54 PM
Apr 2014
So they literally all survived the last two episodes? I really thought at least Alphard would have died after that drop. What was the point of shredding her own arm now? Could have just let Canaan save her and escape properly afterwards.

Well, regardless of that unsatisfying end it was pretty nice all in all. Liang Qi could have died a few episodes earlier but it wasn't so bad as to reduce the overall enjoyment.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 19, 2009

129 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 11:36 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 12, 2009

160 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 10:47 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Sep 5, 2009

142 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 29, 2009

91 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 8:20 AM

Poll: » CANAAN Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 22, 2009

106 by MizuhoKamui »»
Jul 9, 2023 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.