Forum Settings
Forums
New
Should Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth be listed as having two "episodes" on MAL?
May 25, 2014 5:51 PM

Mar 2014
Many of the other feature films listed on MAL that have multiple stories have been posted showing the film as having multiple "episodes"

A few examples that come to mind would be:
Memories
Neo Tokyo
Genius Party
Genius Party Beyond

If all of these feature films, with their multiple parts, are listed as having multiple episodes, then I ask you... why not Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth?
Death & Rebirth has two very clear parts, with credits playing after Death, and even a full intermission between them.

They are clearly two separate parts, and it's entirely possible that somebody would watch one and not the other, and I feel like it should be possible to reflect that on our list, instead of just having it listed as "dropped" without any clearer indication.

What does everybody think?
::End of Transmission::

Jul 27, 2014 2:49 PM
Apr 2013
all those examples are compilations of short stories. death and rebirth isnt a compilation, its a movie.
Jul 27, 2014 4:26 PM

Mar 2014
dark_relm said:
all those examples are compilations of short stories. death and rebirth isnt a compilation, its a movie.

Should that really make a difference?
The two parts are treated as such.
There's even credits after the first half, titled "Death"...
Also, "Death" was at one point aired separately on Japanese TV, even though the initial theatrical release had it shown with "Rebirth".

Even during the "Renewal of Evangelion" DVD release, they included "Death", and "End of Evangelion", but not "Rebirth".

I think they are certainly two separate things, and have been treated as such by the creators. The fact that they were shown together initially is irrelevant.

I actually think it'd make a whole lot of sense to split them up into two entirely separate pages... however, if they're going to be kept as one page, it makes a whole lot of sense to at least list it as having two "episodes", since this colloquialism is used for other multi-part movies, such as the few I listed above, as well as both of these:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/21899/Gintama:_Yorinuki_Gintama-san_on_Theater_2D
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1689/Byousoku_5_Centimeter/
vigorousjammerJul 27, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 24, 2014 12:06 AM

Mar 2013
vigorousjammer said:

I think they should be spilt but keep in mind that end of eva had credits mid-way and is two episodes in ways. Should that be one movie or two episodes to you?
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Aug 27, 2014 8:09 AM

Mar 2014
EvenJellyOn said:
vigorousjammer said:

I think they should be spilt but keep in mind that end of eva had credits mid-way and is two episodes in ways. Should that be one movie or two episodes to you?

Wait, it did???
I thought End of Eva just went straight through from the last scene of Rebirth into the new scenes. I don't remember any credits or an intermission mid-way through... I could be mis-remembering, though.

Aug 27, 2014 8:48 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, EvenJellyon is right, at least on the DVD version there is ending credits, song and everything, shortly after Shinji sees what happened to Unit 02.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 2, 2014 10:17 PM

Mar 2013
vigorousjammer said:

I thought End of Eva just went straight through from the last scene of Rebirth into the new scenes. I don't remember any credits or an intermission mid-way through... I could be mis-remembering, though.

It has a intermission/credits mid way though which is between Kazuya Tsurumaki's and anno's part.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Oct 6, 2021 12:39 AM

Apr 2014
Death has been released separately from Rebirth, and has been re-released a few different types, most recently as Death (True)^2 on Netflix and in the upcoming blu-ray box set. So I think it would make sense to list it separately.

More topics from this board

» Is there a difference between this and death (true)

aotperson4 - Dec 18, 2022

3 by cloudtheclow »»
Mar 20, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth Episode 1 Discussion

aero - Oct 23, 2008

39 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 6, 10:01 AM

» Watching the movies instead of the series?

Pietru - Jun 10, 2013

21 by Khunime »»
Aug 16, 2021 8:06 PM

» Is Neon Genesis Death and Rebirth same as True2

DillonA - Dec 23, 2019

4 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Dec 24, 2019 2:07 AM

» Neon Genesis Evangelion Movie Help

F50NOS - Dec 5, 2010

4 by F50NOS »»
Dec 5, 2010 11:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.