Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2014 5:02 PM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit this sure was a whole load to swallow of information at once! And damn that ending O_O! Really impressive development, to be honest I really thought Key was a robot but it seems she's not after all... I really wonder what the last episode will offer! I really hope Sakura will be okay!
Jun 29, 2014 10:33 PM

Jun 2008
I can't stand when an entire episode is dedicated almost entirely to exposition. But 90 minutes of it? Waaaayyy too much.
Nov 2, 2016 7:47 AM

Jul 2012
brakesforturtles said:
I can't stand when an entire episode is dedicated almost entirely to exposition. But 90 minutes of it? Waaaayyy too much.

On the other hand, it's exposition that adds some clarity to everything we've previously seen, and means that we're (hopefully) not going to get any heavy exposition in the next episode.

Also, is Sakura getting her life-force drained for Gel in the next episode preview? 0_0
Nov 17, 2016 7:44 AM

Mar 2016
It takes excellent direction to make almost film length dialogue based exposition palatable.
Feb 12, 2017 10:00 AM

May 2014
wow, that was a lot of information to take it. Hopefully the next episode will be better
Jun 7, 2017 10:12 PM

Dec 2014
Even as a super-fan of this series, I'll admit that this episode in particular is pretty weak. It's grown on me a lot since my first initial viewing, but the expositive scenes with Shuichi and Wakagi are so heavy and monotonous that I still find myself zoning out at times. Not to insinuate that the dialogue isn't interesting, but the age-old "show, don't tell" technique could have been put to good use here.

I wonder if this was a deliberate directorial choice, or if there were some budgetary issues at play.
Apr 5, 2018 12:37 AM

Aug 2015
Now I see why everyone hates this episode, and rightly so.

The "Maestro" sililoquies while working on robot tiddies; what is this, 16th century English theater? His asides provide an interesting story but the presentation is absurd.

The conversation between Suichi and Wakagi provided missing info that I appreciated to make sense of the previous episodes, but the exposition is interspersed with meandering and pointless lines about science, objectivity, and info that could have been cut. The episode could have been about 50 minutes in all likelihood.
Jul 20, 2019 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
All that build-up to an exposition movie, just wow. To be perfectly honest, I zoned out for most of it. The main takeaways I had from this was:
A. Ajou's more human moments(such as his animosity towards Dr. Mima(1h 22min), his strong reaction to being called a pedophile(26mins), and his fascination with technology)
B. That each female generation in Key's family got stronger
C. Dr. Mima did similarily immoral things as Aujo for the sake of science

Glassknuckles was right on the money here:
" the exposition is interspersed with meandering and pointless lines about science, objectivity, and info that could have been cut."

The writers actually acknowledged that with Shuichi's line:
"Sorry, I didn't mean to get off-track like that"-14mins

The old man rambling to himself also gave the writers an excuse to put unnecessary lines in there for characterization of the person talking. I think that was the purpose, I could be missing something.
Jul 29, 2019 12:27 PM
Aug 2009
I love 50 minute shots of a single tree while characters expound on things I already knew as a viewer. Who needs an interesting and visual way of telling a story anyway?
Aug 20, 2019 2:01 PM

Jun 2013
Unlike most, this was the episode I liked the most. I would rate this show poorly but this episode was redeeming. This is an exemplary anime of how to spend 90% of time messed up and explain everything in the end.
Jun 23, 2020 9:14 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Bruh they really made me sit through 90 minutes of talking. I appreciate the information and it really shed a light on everything but they could have sprinkled it through out the other episodes. I did enjoy how they had the information be presented and broke it up a little with what was going on with other character.
Jul 22, 2020 12:58 PM

Aug 2018
King_Ether said:
Bruh they really made me sit through 90 minutes of talking. I appreciate the information and it really shed a light on everything but they could have sprinkled it through out the other episodes. I did enjoy how they had the information be presented and broke it up a little with what was going on with other character.

i fast forward most of it and still knew what was going on lol they were just talking around in circles bad episodes it lower my rating to so far great anime.
Aug 14, 2020 2:18 PM

Jun 2017
While the very idea of film length exposition episode is funny, I actually thought there were a lot of great moments. I was surprised that Tsurugi seemed relatively intact there. Well, it's hard to tell whether he's in tact or not because of how unstable he is to begin with, but the previous characters who had gel extracted didn't seem to be able to speak at all afterwards. I have to be honest, while he's rather psychotic, I actually really like that character. I think he's probably supposed to be a parallel for Ajo. Showing a slightly more human side to that figure, I guess.
Jul 30, 2021 4:56 PM

Nov 2016
Dat cliffhanger.

From what I remember it was clear that the gel was basically the human soul. Now we learned that it's called geist and Key lost her humanity cause she got inused with an amount that's worth that of 30000 humans.

A bit of a shame that we got this interesting backstory and clarification in form of infodump dialogue, but it's at least comprehensible kind of rushed ending and not some mess. I can live with that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2021 3:44 PM

Jun 2010
All this exposition would be bad enough on its own but after thirteen episodes of meandering around sluggishly it's terribly obnoxious. If a story needs to rush through so much information it’s badly written and/or badly told. I suspect 13 episodes should have been enough to tell the entire story if it hadn't screwed around so much.
Oct 21, 2021 7:41 PM
Dec 2017
thats alot of exposition here

Dec 25, 2021 1:18 PM

May 2015
Tbh, if they just visualized the exposition better, I would have liked it a bit more. For now, it is just info.
But also, revealing what her grandpa did was just fucked up, even if his wife might have agreed to it at the beginning.
Apr 15, 2022 6:05 PM
Mar 2019
Wish i hadn't waited over a Year to finish this, was put off by the length.
Was the talking for most of this a way to not Animate??
At least things started to make sense, sort of.
May 25, 2022 4:43 PM

May 2007
I didn't mind this episode, but it is hilarious we needed what basically amounts to a movie to explain the show.
My anime list
Feb 28, 11:45 AM
Jun 2017
falatório chato pra caralho, desnecessário e sem sentido a essa altura do campeonato, se fosse bem trabalhado e explicado desde o começo, seria uma lore bem mais interessante
Mar 19, 10:22 PM

Dec 2023
Holy shit this suuuuuucked.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 7 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 16, 2011

7 by SilverCrono »»
Sep 5, 2023 9:04 PM

» Worth Watching?

dustinator1991 - Jun 24, 2022

3 by Itzmespooky »»
Jun 15, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 10 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Jul 18, 2011

6 by Quintessence »»
Apr 23, 2023 9:54 AM

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 16, 2014

6 by Unleashed_SM »»
Jul 12, 2022 10:24 PM

Poll: » Key the Metal Idol Episode 15 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Sep 23, 2011

18 by mitamaking »»
May 28, 2022 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.