Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Knights of Sidonia
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 2, 2014 8:15 AM
Jan 2012
One of the best episodes of the season.

Maybe the best excluding jojo/mushishi
May 2, 2014 8:25 AM

Jul 2007
ArdenFolgore said:
MAL Score Logic:
Knights Of Cydonia 7.31
Well Written Sci-Fi story with awesome sound effects and interesting 3d style. It's only drawback is that the framerate is shit.
Mahouka 7.98
Regular shonen crap with incest-related jokes, weak story and harem elements. I heard that the light novel is much better.

WTF? In my opinion, Cydonia is worth much higher score

Mahouka has incest and the most generic shit in both narrative and character designs possible, thus it is anime of the year by MAL standards. :)
May 2, 2014 8:27 AM

Mar 2013
I've rewatched this episode a few times already just for the dramatic & detail sound effects, awesome episode, great suspense
May 2, 2014 8:29 AM

Mar 2013
HowTragic said:

Spring 2014 anime done right in the form of Knights of Sidonia, No Game No Life, and Hitsugi no Chaika.

SPOT ON my friend. Isshukan Friend, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou and Brynhildr are also decent for this season.
May 2, 2014 8:30 AM
Dec 2012
Kondo-Isao said:
THE SOUND EFFECT DETAILS GIVE ME AN ERECTION 10 TIMES OUT OF 10.

LMFAO, I couldn't agree better myself haha
May 2, 2014 8:38 AM

Feb 2011
Harem start.
May 2, 2014 10:12 AM
Feb 2013
Rowan93 said:
As far as weapons you would use in an actual space war go, if throwing wreckage into the path of the impactor at ten metres is enough to let you dodge, the mass driver in question is about as "high energy" as a wet fart. Which is consistent with everything else we observer about this mass driver except for the time-on-target but everything has silly ETAs in this so we can assume they just did the usual "oh, I forgot space was big" thing sci-fi writers always always do.

Now, that doesn't surprise me, because there are spears which are allegedly the only things hard enough to penetrate the Gauna, and "the only thing hard enough to penetrate" is physical nonsense, a real "high energy mass driver" laughs at any armour less than a kilometre thick.

If "down" is in the direction it's supposed to be if the ship wasn't built by a retard (i.e. down = aft of the vessel), the shift in G should be nothing like that; the angle between "down" and the direction of thrust is tiny.

Then again, "if the ship wasn't built by a retard", the specific standard by which all interior structures would be built would be "what if only one engine is fired at maximum and the g shifts correspondingly?", and so it's pretty clear that the humans in this universe are slightly less good at space travel and ship design than the Kerbals.

Obviously the correct answer when a subordinate asks what we're going to do against the Gauna is "win glory". Death on the battlefield against the enemies of mankind is the highest honour one can achieve in life, it matters not if you're kinda shit at actually winning on that battlefield.

Oh, hey, I was talking about Kerbals, and now the cliffhanger is that the MC is trying to rescue a friend lost in space, and thereby risking not being able to return.

Yeah, I'm giving this anime shit, but that's primarily because it's bringing in so much relatively hard sci-fi and realism that the dumb bits stand out more, seriously I'm loving this.

I hear you bro. Though, just as with another anime where the survey corpse battles giants, and they happily swing between treetops (while talking to eachother) by using very unrealistic harpoon-mechanisms shot from the hip... there is some level of suspension of belief needed.

I know, it's Sci-fi. But there is still the 'fiction' in it. The science part isn't totally right, granted, but I must confess I've seen far worse, concerning sci-fi. (It's more about what the explanation for the occurences is based on. If it's by/with 'magic', it's fantasy, do it with science, and you have sci-fi.) At least they *tried* to show and have a sense of gravity and other space-concepts out there. Most sci-fi anime or regular movie doesn't even bother.

ArdenFolgore said:
MAL Score Logic:
Knights Of Cydonia 7.31
Well Written Sci-Fi story with awesome sound effects and interesting 3d style. It's only drawback is that the framerate is shit.
Mahouka 7.98
Regular shonen crap with incest-related jokes, weak story and harem elements. I heard that the light novel is much better.

You forget, my friend, that just *because* it has wincest in it, it augments and rises with 1.5 points. :-)

Seriously; Sidonia is much better, true. That said, I don't completely dislike Mahouka neither; it's actually better than I thought. (Under the provision that my expectations of a 1)magical anime, placed in a 2)school setting with all the classical 3)anime tropes in it, was pretty limited.) But, for a shounen within this genre, it's fairly ok. At least it's much better than machine doll, which more or less had the same settings and premise, but royally screwed it up.

Comparing the two makes little sense, since the genre differs so greatly. It's like comparing GitS with Naruto; there is next to no common ground to make a sensible comparison of the two.

Bakkar said:
Kondo-Isao said:

Speaking of erections... The Gauna's higgs-particle-beam-canon (or whatever it was called) I thought looked like... well, a cross between a banana and a penis. Which then ejaculated plasma.

Was I the only one looking at it and thinking it looked funny?

AnimageNebyMay 2, 2014 10:27 AM
May 2, 2014 10:24 AM

Nov 2013
Bakkar said:
Kondo-Isao said:

10/10
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
May 2, 2014 10:32 AM

Nov 2013
Awesome episode. This is definitely underrated.
May 2, 2014 10:55 AM

Nov 2011
HowTragic said:
Super nice extra character doesn't intrude upon Nagate's harem.

See I was right. Though not a traditional one indeed. Well now, it's Nihei Tsutomu, so we can't go wrong there. Thank god for the animation style, people don't get deformed, so I guess that's the upside for 3DCGI. Still inexcusable for 3fps.

Now I actually have something to look forward to every week. Maybe even more than Ping Pong now.

LAWL what am I saying
EVERYONE looks the fuckin same here. SHIT. NO ONE, LOOKS, BAD. Everyone just HAS to look like a photogenic smugass muthafuk.

It just better not become something stupid like the #1 recommendation for this. Someone disperse that thing from there.

AnimageNeby said:
Speaking of erections... The Gauna's higgs-particle-beam-canon (or whatever it was called) I thought looked like... well, a cross between a banana and a penis. Which then ejaculated plasma.

Finally someone I can relate to. What I thought though was that it looked more like an animal's DICK that had it's foreskin peeled three-way.
zetsu_shorenMay 2, 2014 12:59 PM
May 2, 2014 11:00 AM
Oct 2010
Ckan said:
skudoops said:
Question, do you guys think that commander was right with her actions? Yes I understand it bought them time to get themselves ready, but what exactly was she planning to do?

She turned down the vice commander guy's idea to arm some of the mechs with spears and intercept, so is it explained anywhere (even in the manga, just spoiler tag it for me please) why she took that course of action?
From what I can tell (anime-only, that is), if she took the vice-comander's option - it'd be a half-cooked defence. With little time, only a few could deploy, and they wouldn't have had much of a battle-plan.

By forsibily evading, she won them time for that full deployment and retrieval mission.

And to extrapolate from what Maratropa said: if the Gauna caught on to Sidonia, things would probably have gone to the pits.

Ah ok that makes sense. I'm going to make a guess here but if we go with what you are saying (which sounds pretty feasible) I assume she had always planned for nagate to use the retrieved spear to fight it, or at least his squad.
May 2, 2014 11:02 AM
Oct 2013
Brilliant episode. Starting to rate for spring animes and this one deserves a 8/10. 5/5 for this episode.
May 2, 2014 11:13 AM

Nov 2011
Oh and in before first kiss with someone other than Shinatose.
May 2, 2014 11:36 AM

Jul 2013
Fai said:
ArdenFolgore said:
MAL Score Logic:
Knights Of Cydonia 7.31
Mahouka 7.98

Mahouka has incest and the most generic shit in both narrative and character designs possible, thus it is anime of the year by MAL standards. :)

But the incest part is the one I see people complained about the most although Mahouka has much worse flaws than incest. The high score stemmed from the rabid LN fan base who gave it 9s and 10s before even watching the first episode and even when the first few episodes really suck, they believe it's gonna get better since the LN is like that.

Of course there's also the wish fulfillment part. People who like to imagine themselves as an incredibly OP MC like Tatsuya who's popular with women without trying much. Tanikaze for all his skills, doesn't really stand out as a character even if he's famous as the only person who stood up against gauna.
May 2, 2014 11:49 AM

Oct 2011
SPLAT OMG!!!!!!!

Tanikaze is BA!!!!!!!!

Saved her YES!!!!!!

The hell with you Kunato

Oh Damn Adrift OMG !!!!
May 2, 2014 11:59 AM

Dec 2013
My god all those splatters inside Sidonia when the impact happened..... made me so damn happy that they aren't going for some PG-13 censorship crap. This is what true disaster survival looks like: Gritty, bloody, ugly as heck. Survive the crash, maybe lose a few friends and maybe a few limbs as well.

I have to say, I picked this show up on a whim as it wasn't initially on my to-watch list, the animation wasn't really doing it for me at first, but oh hell this story is so intriguing, there's no glossing over anything, and the characters react like actual people! When Momose completely lost it last episode after watching her boyfriend die, you could totally understand it. Nagate's act-first-think-later attitude resounds throughout the first four episodes (that part when he broke his hand stealing rice kinda showed how much of a one track mind he has). All that training his grandpa made him do finally paid off, he knew instinctively what to do with that Kabizashi.

Kunato can pose, bitch and try to steal all the limelight that he wants, but when push comes to shove, he'll probably be the first to get his arse handed to him. Everyone knows who's the true hero. He's got nothing on all those shifts that Nagate pulled underground in the flight sim beating those Gauna. Absolutely NOTHING!

I'm probably going to go pick up the manga just because of the show.

Can't wait till next week!
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 2, 2014 12:18 PM

Jul 2008
There were so many countdowns in this episode. Countdowns are epic.

ArdenFolgore said:
MAL Score Logic:
Knights Of Cydonia 7.31
Mahouka 7.98

The masses have shit taste.
May 2, 2014 12:38 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Sweet mother of Sci Fi Goodness, that was some of the best action I've seen in a while. The magnificent sound effects just give so much emphasis to what you're seeing on screen. You're really terrified when they did that acceleration maneuver.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 2, 2014 12:42 PM

May 2012
I have goosebumps all over my body. That was so epic!

I feel bad for those who dropped thhis show because of the animation.
May 2, 2014 12:42 PM

Jun 2012
They'll probably send a squad to pick up Nagate because it'd be extremely stupid on their part to let the only person who can kill a guana die out in space.
May 2, 2014 1:21 PM

Jul 2013
dragonlight said:
They'll probably send a squad to pick up Nagate because it'd be extremely stupid on their part to let the only person who can kill a guana die out in space.

May 2, 2014 1:36 PM

Aug 2012
skudoops said:
I'm going to make a guess here but if we go with what you are saying (which sounds pretty feasible) I assume she had always planned for nagate to use the retrieved spear to fight it, or at least his squad.

May 2, 2014 1:59 PM

Mar 2009
love the story, love the CG, love the splatter scenes!

and the start of Nagate's harem
May 2, 2014 2:50 PM

Jul 2013
So many deaths.
Tanikaze you badass
Really took the spotlight this episode.
Hm, seems like Nagate will have saved Shizuka which is good :D
May 2, 2014 3:07 PM

Apr 2013
Tanikaze = Badass.
May 2, 2014 5:37 PM

Apr 2012
AMAZING episode
goosebumps everywhere
great drama

5/5 loved it

officially the most underrated/dark horse of the season
zzzeallyMay 2, 2014 5:42 PM

May 2, 2014 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode. I love how clearly everything is shown. Impressive CGI
May 2, 2014 5:44 PM

Jan 2011
Mayhe they should have invested in magnetic boots instead of hand rails. Sure, when a 100 ton building falls on you it won't help, but at least you won't fall onto said building because you didn't find a hand rail in time.

And Tanikaze saving Shizuka is a given. Well, okay, given the deaths we had the "saving" part might not be a given, but that he somehow gets back to the Sidonia, thats sure.

Is there even any show that killed off the supposed main character and took a totally different, unexpected turn? Not *some* major character, but the one and only super-badass MC who can survive anything?
May 2, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2011
Amazing episode! I'm in love with this show!
May 2, 2014 6:59 PM

Feb 2012
NwAurion said:
Mayhe they should have invested in magnetic boots instead of hand rails. Sure, when a 100 ton building falls on you it won't help, but at least you won't fall onto said building because you didn't find a hand rail in time.

considering the amount of G forces acting on an entire city, I think your ankles will shatter from the momentum of your upper body lol
May 2, 2014 7:18 PM

Jul 2010
Awesome, fucking awesome. This has become one of my favorite anime of this season. I didn't expect such violence, the part of the people being splattered everywhere was HEAVY, and that's how I liked it.

Nagate was pretty badass, I like the usual concept of the naive/silly yet talented pilot.
Outstanding CGI and excellent sounds.

skudoops said:
Question, do you guys think that commander was right with her actions? Yes I understand it bought them time to get themselves ready, but what exactly was she planning to do?

I'm an anime-only viewer but I believe that is hinted that the commander doesn't want the Gauna to come closer to the Sidonia for further reasons, I have this feeling. Or perhaps she knew about Nagate's potentiality and his determined hostility towards Gauna and expected him to kill it. Even if I'm wrong, this is no matter of being "rightful" or "wrong", her choice was understandable, I probably would have done the same.
AkanezoraMay 2, 2014 7:39 PM
May 2, 2014 7:46 PM

Apr 2014
Good epi. Very close to the manga. :)
Izana, I can date you, fuck that Nagate guy...
May 2, 2014 8:22 PM

Apr 2014
liek i said before i dont like cgi but this anime just blow my mind
usually you dont see that mass of deaths at the beggining of an anime but this is too good

the anime has a really good start and just hope doesnt end with a crappy ending
May 2, 2014 9:13 PM
Feb 2014
AnimageNeby said:

Was I the only one looking at it and thinking it looked funny?

and it have girl face? so we have futa alien? lol

5/5 this show at least must have 8 score..
May 2, 2014 9:18 PM
Jul 2011
I like how this show emphasise a lot on the physics side such as de-accelerating, inertia and relative speed in space. E.g it shows Sidionia being able to accelerate out of the gauna trajectory, the gauna even if metres apart from sidionia can't just stop since its probably travelling over hundreds and thousand of miles per hour. Hardly any sci-fi shows that, and Sidonia just ticks everything.
May 2, 2014 9:33 PM

Oct 2013
Seoko said:
I like how this show emphasise a lot on the physics side such as de-accelerating, inertia and relative speed in space. E.g it shows Sidionia being able to accelerate out of the gauna trajectory, the gauna even if metres apart from sidionia can't just stop since its probably travelling over hundreds and thousand of miles per hour. Hardly any sci-fi shows that, and Sidonia just ticks everything.
Thank you. Another reason why Sidonia no Kishi should be top spot.
May 2, 2014 9:43 PM

Aug 2013
YAHHHH Hoshijiro is my favorite character, and now I get to wait forever to see if she makes it. This episode was SO good.

That preview music at the end is YES.
May 2, 2014 10:48 PM

Feb 2012
Akanezora said:
Awesome, fucking awesome. This has become one of my favorite anime of this season. I didn't expect such violence, the part of the people being splattered everywhere was HEAVY, and that's how I liked it.

Nagate was pretty badass, I like the usual concept of the naive/silly yet talented pilot.
Outstanding CGI and excellent sounds.

skudoops said:

I'm an anime-only viewer but I believe that is hinted that the commander doesn't want the Gauna to come closer to the Sidonia for further reasons, I have this feeling. Or perhaps she knew about Nagate's potentiality and his determined hostility towards Gauna and expected him to kill it. Even if I'm wrong, this is no matter of being "rightful" or "wrong", her choice was understandable, I probably would have done the same.

Think about why Nagate's father went underground in the first place. If his genetic code is so useful for fighting gauna, why did he go into hiding? Mentioned this a few pages back, but the commander seems more like the bad guy (eventual plot twist maybe?) than anyone else. Sure, sometimes you have to make sacrifices, but not much has been said about the Gauna yet, so to me evading it like that shows that she's very determined on the Gauna never coming close to Sidonia. Why? We don't know yet, but that ominous transformation into the form of girl that was eaten a few episodes ago tells me there's more to the Gauna than we know and she's trying to hide something.
May 2, 2014 10:50 PM

Aug 2013
This anime is one of the best animated sci fi.
May 2, 2014 10:53 PM

Nov 2011
jimjameswhatever said:
NwAurion said:

considering the amount of G forces acting on an entire city, I think your ankles will shatter from the momentum of your upper body lol

Kondo-Isao said:
Seoko said:
Thank you. Another reason why Sidonia no Kishi should be top spot.

YES
Those two things also stimulated my interest for their attention to physics. But instead of a belt with a hook or gravity boots, why not just a magnetic suit itself? Just go to a wall (that is if the walls were metallic) facing either front or back (maybe both sides could have magnetic panels on the suit), and just activate it so that your torso which happens to be the centre of your body would just stay still.

Oooohooohoooo innoveishuns innoveishuns

I am curious about how the force of gravity works when you're accelerating, and when you're moving at a constant speed. If you're standing in a train going a constant speed, same with buses, it wouldn't feel like you're either being pushed forward or pushed back (depending on where you're facing while standing). The idea of limits in calculus could be a relevant concept. The closer you are to the value, the smaller the surrounding values become. The further you are, the stronger the g-force depending on whether it's accelerating or decelerating. Basically, the closer you are to the limit, the closer you are to being at a constant speed. But if the train was to accelerate, you'd be pushed back if you were facing the direction it is accelerating towards. Is that how it works in vacuum too? In a space of 0 gravity? But then again, they seem to have had their own gravity within Sidonia, so I guess it couldn't be considered zero gravity, lol.
zetsu_shorenMay 2, 2014 11:01 PM
May 2, 2014 11:12 PM

May 2012
davidphamle said:
HowTragic said:

Spring 2014 anime done right in the form of Knights of Sidonia, No Game No Life, and Hitsugi no Chaika.

SPOT ON my friend. Isshukan Friend, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou and Brynhildr are also decent for this season.

Brynhildr is good, but I disagree with you about Isshukan Friend and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Boring slice of life with boring school kids are not worth watching.
May 2, 2014 11:32 PM

Mar 2013
thepath said:
davidphamle said:
HowTragic said:

Brynhildr is good, but I disagree with you about Isshukan Friend and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. Boring slice of life with boring school kids are not worth watching.

It doesn't need to always be dark, gory, violent and depressing to make it a good anime. I think Isshukan Friends and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou have done really well in the Slice of Life/Comedy/Romance genre, without the usual moe/fan service bullshit.

Still, we need more Seinen anime for mature audience, too much craps out there already, the overall quality of anime nowadays keep getting worse and worse. At least there is a gem like Sidonia no Kishi for this season and as far as the manga goes, it will keep getting better and I hope the anime will be as well.
May 2, 2014 11:38 PM

Feb 2008
Good lord, the splat is strong with this episode. Super excited for this show though, love the atmosphere and feel, its just such a disturbing show that its so fascinating. Best Sci-Fi show from what I've seen so far.
yahzeeMay 2, 2014 11:44 PM
May 3, 2014 12:08 AM

Feb 2013
I keep falling more in love with this series.
That sudden gravitational shift had me on the edge of my seat. I can't get my head around that extra character that just flew on by without latching on. All I could think was "well that sucks".
yaHzee said:
... its just such a disturbing show that its so fascinating. Best Sci-Fi show from what I've seen so far.

Agreed. This show has such a different feel from alot of the sci fi anime I've seen. I really enjoy it.
May 3, 2014 1:17 AM

Mar 2012
Looks like Hoshijiro is okay... for now. Most everyone else went splat.
May 3, 2014 2:32 AM

May 2012
davidphamle said:
thepath said:
davidphamle said:
HowTragic said:

It doesn't need to always be dark, gory, violent and depressing to make it a good anime. I think Isshukan Friends and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou have done really well in the Slice of Life/Comedy/Romance genre, without the usual moe/fan service bullshit.

Still, we need more Seinen anime for mature audience, too much craps out there already, the overall quality of anime nowadays keep getting worse and worse. At least there is a gem like Sidonia no Kishi for this season and as far as the manga goes, it will keep getting better and I hope the anime will be as well.

I don't hate romance and comedy and I never said that anime need to be dark to be good. But judging from the 1st episode of Isshukan Friends and Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, both sucks when it comes to romance and comedy

Comedy anime are supposed to make you laugh. Isshukan Friends and Bokura completely fails at that. On the other hand, Kenzen Robo Daimidaler makes me laugh like every few min while watching.

For romance I prefer something deep, emotional, and mature. A good example for this is "The Princess and the Pilot" film.
May 3, 2014 4:24 AM

Dec 2010
The anime just topped the season with this episode. It's potentially one of the best animes for the last few years.

Nagate is also an awesome MC.
May 3, 2014 4:27 AM

Mar 2013
thepath said:
davidphamle said:
thepath said:
davidphamle said:
HowTragic said:

Comedy anime are supposed to make you laugh. Isshukan Friends and Bokura completely fails at that. On the other hand, Kenzen Robo Daimidaler makes me laugh like every few min while watching.

For romance I prefer something deep, emotional, and mature. A good example for this is "The Princess and the Pilot" film.

Can't judge an anime based on only the 1st episode alone my friend, a lot of anime doesn't have a good start but it may start blooming afterwards, you never know. I like Princess and the Pilot as well, other than that Sakurasou & White Album 2 are another example for me.

Sidonia no Kishi will have a really weird romance when you get further in, can't wait for that to happen. For those people who wondered why most of the female characters in this anime looked the same:
May 3, 2014 4:37 AM

May 2012
04:10 you sure>

07:23 holie...

17:01 wut...?

18:13 NOOO Hoshijiroっっっ

20:58 go save my Hoshijiro

8.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 3, 2014 5:08 AM
Feb 2013
looks like Nagate is becoming a celebrity after he kill that Guana, and white hair guy is jealous.

Geeez, why couldn't they just nuke that space monster.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2014

227 by fooumies »»
Dec 21, 2023 5:12 AM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

135 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 1:33 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

112 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

117 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Sidonia no Kishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2014

163 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 31, 2023 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.