Forum Settings
Forums

when the anime does not follow the manga...

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 20, 2014 9:05 PM

Nov 2012
I hate when I don't realize it soon enough.

Most of the time, if the story is good enough and the anime ends, I'd continue it off with the manga.
But it's troublesome if the anime's story has split off the road.

Example: Pandora Hearts
Tch!
Apr 20, 2014 9:37 PM

Mar 2014
0w0 said:
I hate when I don't realize it soon enough.

Most of the time, if the story is good enough and the anime ends, I'd continue it off with the manga.
But it's troublesome if the anime's story has split off the road.

Example: Pandora Hearts

oh, darn. i was planning to watch that.
“Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know.” - Hayao Miyazaki
Apr 20, 2014 9:42 PM

Jul 2012
HalliSveinsson said:
i don't understand what you just said though. you mean i'll understand why they (those involved with the anime??) can't just do whatever they want?

'cause isn't it more like they're doing whatever they want? changing the story and stuff...?

Like, there are things the industry has to think about such as what time to release the show, if it should have an original ending, etc. A lot of factors are actually important and they can't just adapt a show the way someone like us fans would want them to. If you do watch Bakuman, they break down the manga/anime industry and it's really awesome. You'll learn lots.
Apr 20, 2014 9:45 PM
Aug 2013
I just don't read the manga. Problem solved.
Apr 20, 2014 9:50 PM
May 2013
We tend to judge them and question the adaptation, this is one thing that we shouldn't. Both anime and manga should be seen as an individual product.
Apr 20, 2014 9:55 PM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
HalliSveinsson said:
i don't understand what you just said though. you mean i'll understand why they (those involved with the anime??) can't just do whatever they want?

'cause isn't it more like they're doing whatever they want? changing the story and stuff...?

Like, there are things the industry has to think about such as what time to release the show, if it should have an original ending, etc. A lot of factors are actually important and they can't just adapt a show the way someone like us fans would want them to. If you do watch Bakuman, they break down the manga/anime industry and it's really awesome. You'll learn lots.

yeah, thanks. i think i will. been planning to for a while now.
“Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people, you know.” - Hayao Miyazaki
Apr 20, 2014 10:04 PM

Jul 2013
I would rather watch an anime that is changed to ensure an ending/flow better/better toned to its intended audience vs a show that sticks to the source material and ends up being dropped by the production company midway through the anime, or alienating its audience by deviating to much from the norm in a bad way, or having references that the audience wouldn't understand(I liked how sgt frog made changes for its north american audience in the Funi Dub.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 20, 2014 10:06 PM

Mar 2014
pedrorp said:
We tend to judge them and question the adaptation, this is one thing that we shouldn't. Both anime and manga should be seen as an individual product.

if only i could learn to do that, i think i'll be more content with my life. but my brain is dead set on acknowledging only the original story. so i should just read manga, right? but i love animation.. hmm..... so yeah, what i do is i just avoid them. guess it's not so bad, narrows down my to watch list, anyway. though there are still times when i watch anime like that and get disappointed after finding out that it didn't follow the manga.
Apr 20, 2014 10:11 PM

Jan 2013
Yes it annoys me a lot. It usually happens with romance anime. Like Ouran and Fruits Basket. They change up the ending. That's why the manga gets like a 10, but the anime get's a 5. It pisses me off.
Apr 20, 2014 11:02 PM

Jan 2014
Ferolex said:
No, because I don't read manga.

This. Watching the anime will never be as enjoyable when you already know what is going to happen in comparison to not knowing at all, even for a series that isn't plot twist heavy.

Also gives unfulfilled expectations as well. (Not to mention a bizarre superiority complex).
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 21, 2014 1:18 AM

Jan 2014
NarTaco said:
Sometimes it's for the better.
Couldn't agree more. It depends from case to case. But sometimes it does annoy me a lot (thinking of Karin...)
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Apr 21, 2014 2:16 AM

Apr 2013
My favourite anime is Fullmetal Alchemist, so I guess deviating from the manga doesn't bother me as long as I still enjoy it.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 21, 2014 6:11 AM
Jan 2013
If it's on the level of To LOVE-Ru bad, than yeah.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2014 6:07 PM

Mar 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
I mean....this is the same thing for source adaptations all the time.

People often get pissed off for things straying away from the source, but there are tons of very famous (and good) films and anime that are adapted from a book but don't follow the source material very faithfully.

oh, i could go on and on about films that didn't follow the book, not just anime and manga.

uhm.. sorry though, i don't really get the point of what you just said.. so, you're okay when films or anime adaptations don't follow the source coz there are already tons of them?
Apr 21, 2014 6:11 PM

Apr 2014
FMA was... well decent, but not as great as FMAB or the manga.
Apr 21, 2014 6:15 PM

Apr 2010
RedRoseFring said:
Ferolex said:

This. Watching the anime will never be as enjoyable when you already know what is going to happen in comparison to not knowing at all, even for a series that isn't plot twist heavy.

Also gives unfulfilled expectations as well. (Not to mention a bizarre superiority complex).

Then you realize that a majority of anime end up with open endings and don't get another season, so you start reading manga.
Apr 21, 2014 6:55 PM

Aug 2009
As someone who doesn't read manga, I generally don't give a shit.

Apr 21, 2014 7:05 PM

Nov 2010
RedRoseFring said:
Ferolex said:

False One Piece got better to me when I rewatched it and I read the SnK manga before the anime came out and I believe it's better than the manga.
Apr 21, 2014 7:45 PM

Mar 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
HalliSveinsson said:
Zergneedsfood said:
I mean....this is the same thing for source adaptations all the time.

People often get pissed off for things straying away from the source, but there are tons of very famous (and good) films and anime that are adapted from a book but don't follow the source material very faithfully.

oh, i could go on and on about films that didn't follow the book, not just anime and manga.

uhm.. sorry though, i don't really get the point of what you just said.. so, you're okay when films or anime adaptations don't follow the source coz there are already tons of them?

Uhhh...no?

I said there are plenty of quality films and anime that don't go specifically to the source and are still considered great. I feel like people who say this all the time basically just tunnel vision on source material that they like rather than acknowledging that there are tons of things that are better when the adaptation changes something or expands upon the source material.

I mean, I have my fair share of book adaptations in film that weren't done particularly well (Ender's Game comes to mind), and plenty of adaptations that were great when they stuck with the source, but it's a pretty provincial mindset to criticize a team for not sticking to the source when their adaptation could be superior or at the very least comparable even with the changes.

It's just a very ignorant position in my opinion, especially since there are a lot of adaptations that people don't know are actually adaptations.

oh, yeah, i get it now. sorry, still working on my english comprehension. should've reread that more.

anyway.. yeah, that's why i'm saying there's something wrong with me. even if we say that the adaptations are better, somewhere in my mind, i feel that i've been fed lies. for me, the ones from the source are like what really happened, and the adaptation that didn't follow the source are lies. i've been saying if only i could see the source and adaptations as separate things, that'd be so much better. i didn't even know before that anime were manga adaptations. i didn't even know what mangas were. when i found out about them, i started thinking that way, and got annoyed finding out that what happened in the anime i watched was not really what was supposed to happen. i mentioned in my post that i am annoyed in myself and is asking around if there are people like me. also, i don't think i was criticizing the adaptation team, i was asking why they do that or when they do that, whether it is because they think they can do better.
Apr 21, 2014 9:06 PM

Sep 2010
I make a point not to read the manga before watching the anime so it never bothers me. If I liked the anime, I'll go read the manga.
Spring 2014: NANANA WINS ALL.
Check out my blog :) http://castlebell.blogspot.com/
Apr 22, 2014 4:54 AM
Dec 2013
If I would read the manga then I wouldn't like it. Bit the only manga I read are One Piece etc. and there aren't that many changes. But when there are some (One Piece) were they show Luffy weaker as he is.
For other anime I don't bother because I don't read the manga, so I don't notice it if there were changes.
Apr 22, 2014 6:34 AM

Jan 2014
FacelessVixen said:
As someone who doesn't read manga, I generally don't give a shit.

this applies to me as well. I've seen a lot of people complain about Soul Eater but it's one of my favorite anime of all time. I never read the manga so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on in all my ignorance
Apr 22, 2014 8:40 AM

Sep 2008
I like when the anime and manga storylines diverge, so long as some of the original tone or spirit is kept. People complained about the anime changes in SnK, Magi, FMA, but I don't think the changes were different enough to warrant all the "they ruined it!!11" cries that some fans have.

Like, just be glad they're different enough that it's worth it to read/watch both versions. 'Cause some are so dead-on adapted that there's no point.
Apr 22, 2014 8:41 AM

Oct 2013
I really enjoyed Sekirei. So when i started reading the manga i was surprise that despite not following it, it still did very good. Well.. i don't have problem with them straying from the original story, as long as they did justice to it. Lol.
Apr 22, 2014 8:42 AM

Apr 2014
If Iris Zero doesn't turn into an anime, I'm going to be very disappointed.
Nyaaaria- said:
You really are the king of marathoning

Apr 22, 2014 8:48 AM

Apr 2014
yep most of time its annoying becuz they just fuck it up
Life is Fun! Yeah,try chanting that 10,000 times each day!
it will mess with your head,and all your pain will disappear
Apr 22, 2014 12:27 PM

Aug 2013
Anyone notice how the Gilgamesh anime is nothing remotely like the manga its based on
"Nothing is sweeter than your smile"
Apr 22, 2014 8:31 PM

Mar 2014
it's really becoming clearer what the problem with me is.

if you prefer watching than reading and your purpose in watching anime is because you want to know what happens in the manga, then you're gonna have a bad time.

someone should say this to me and slap me hard

"hey, if you want the original story so much, then just read the f*ckin' manga!"
Apr 22, 2014 8:34 PM

Dec 2013
HalliSveinsson said:

if you prefer watching than reading and your purpose in watching anime is because you want to know what happens in the manga, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Read the fucking source material if you want the original story
Apr 22, 2014 8:37 PM
Apr 2014
As a person who can read over 150 chapters of anything (if it's out) in one day, Kingdom (200 chapters in one day), Bleach(130ish), Naruto (180) (yes, literally I will just consume everything in one to two days because i'm a fast reader) I will be bothered if the anime that takes 20 minute per episode, does not follow the source. I'm looking at you, shitty Claymore anime ending. >:/
Apr 22, 2014 10:46 PM

Aug 2013
Absolutely not. It's one thing if it diverts from the manga and nosedives from that point onward (Gantz was one of these for me) but first and foremost imo and anime should be competent/good for what it is...an anime and a standalone story. If there were no manga and the anime is in isolation it should be good.

Long story short, as long as the anime is still good it's inconsequential to me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

26 by traed »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

18 by bucciest »»
2 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 17 minutes ago

6 by GudBoy »»
5 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

72 by bucciest »»
6 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 11 hours ago

44 by TsutanaiFuun »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.