Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 15, 2014 10:16 PM

Jun 2011
I love this anime to death, really I do, I love all the characters to death.

The number one thing that bothered me about this anime was the fact that most of these girls are just character relief, I mean if I had a dollar to see every scene where the girls are either cooking, cleaning, watching the kids, or just talking about something that has no relation to the plot whatsoever, and count the ways Chrome has been tied up in tentacles, I would never have to work a day in my life.

I swear, I get that this anime is a shounen, but that doesn't mean that we cant havea badass female around.

I mean seriously Haru and Kyoko just play the ideal housewife of the entire series. They cook, clean, do laundry, baby sit the kids, and they don't give a flying fudge about it. They are what all 1950s housewife aspire to be!

The author could have done so many things to make those two epic too! For example, Haru could have served as an expert in disguise to the Vongola and Kyoko could be one of those epic anime characters that are all nice at first, but when pissed off their a force to be reckon with!

The only badass females around are Bianchi and Chrome and Lal Mirch. Bianchi is barely around and Chrome, I swear is always being attacked by tentacles.

I-Pin, I love her so much, she's a doll, I wish she could be a bit more important to the anime though.

But honestly how hard is it for the girls in this anime to play a little bit of an important role?

I sound like such a feminist...
Rayn3698Apr 29, 2014 8:52 PM
Apr 15, 2014 10:19 PM

Mar 2008
Apr 15, 2014 10:20 PM

Jun 2011
Ckan said:
The funny thing is that the mangaka is a woman, too.

Really, quite ironic if you ask me.
Apr 15, 2014 10:20 PM

Nov 2010
Ckan said:
The funny thing is that the mangaka is a woman, too.
I always found that weird. Like one of the only female battle shounen mangakas and the only one where the girls literally stay home, clean, cook, and take care of babies all day.
Apr 15, 2014 10:24 PM

Mar 2008
Nevertheless, say what you will about women in the kitchen, bishounen-armies, some strange story-directions, and other such complaints; I forgive her for designing Psycho-Pass's Akane.
Apr 24, 2014 9:12 AM

Mar 2014
I agree with the OP, it was frustrating to see the female characters get shoved into the background, especially after the future arc started. I thought maybe Haru could have turned into a badass, fighting for the sake of her love, but she ends up becoming a clone of Kyoko, rarely leaving the kitchen. It was sad.

And don't get me started on Bianchi, at first she was a strong female character- yes she spent most of her energy on either love for Reborn or revenge against Romeo, but she was fearless, took part in battles and led the way in quite a few instances. But after the "wedding" episode, it was as if Bianchi was relegated to being a background character that personified negative views of women. During the future arc she become a glorified babysitter. Why wasn't she a part of the fight?!?!? Why was she pushed into a role she didn't fit in? Bianchi should have been right in the thick of battle fighting for the Vongola future, instead of being moral support for Kyoko and Haru.

Then we have Lal Mirch, who for the majority of the anime was portrayed as a guy, until her big reveal in the future. For a time, Lal was a badass! But after her injury she was pushed to the background, only brought out when emotions where needed (ie. Her feelings for Colonnello)

There are ton more instances where women are portrayed in a mysognist light, and it's even more confusing when looking at the mangaka who is also female.

I loved Reborn, it's now become one of my favorite shows, but I can't give it a 10 because of the way women are portrayed in the show. It's sad because I really enjoyed the story and fell in love with the characters. Plus this is the first time in awhile I've gotten depressed after finished an anime ( I just completed it last night).

Osiris.
Apr 24, 2014 9:58 PM

Jun 2011
OsirisAusare said:
I agree with the OP, it was frustrating to see the female characters get shoved into the background, especially after the future arc started. I thought maybe Haru could have turned into a badass, fighting for the sake of her love, but she ends up becoming a clone of Kyoko, rarely leaving the kitchen. It was sad.

And don't get me started on Bianchi, at first she was a strong female character- yes she spent most of her energy on either love for Reborn or revenge against Romeo, but she was fearless, took part in battles and led the way in quite a few instances. But after the "wedding" episode, it was as if Bianchi was relegated to being a background character that personified negative views of women. During the future arc she become a glorified babysitter. Why wasn't she a part of the fight?!?!? Why was she pushed into a role she didn't fit in? Bianchi should have been right in the thick of battle fighting for the Vongola future, instead of being moral support for Kyoko and Haru.

Then we have Lal Mirch, who for the majority of the anime was portrayed as a guy, until her big reveal in the future. For a time, Lal was a badass! But after her injury she was pushed to the background, only brought out when emotions where needed (ie. Her feelings for Colonnello)

There are ton more instances where women are portrayed in a mysognist light, and it's even more confusing when looking at the mangaka who is also female.

I loved Reborn, it's now become one of my favorite shows, but I can't give it a 10 because of the way women are portrayed in the show. It's sad because I really enjoyed the story and fell in love with the characters. Plus this is the first time in awhile I've gotten depressed after finished an anime ( I just completed it last night).

Osiris.

It's nice to have someone agree with me.
May 1, 2014 10:57 AM

Dec 2013
I find it sad that a lot of people don't respect the role of Haru and Kyoko played in the 10yrs later arc. Disrespecting their role is like saying a stay at home mom is less useful than a mother that works outside the home.

I think one of the few redeeming qualities of this anime is that it does try to show some of the value of domestic work in a combat situation. Why should ALL the women have to fight to have value? This show actually has balance with 2 girls that do domestic work, and 4 women that fight. Yes, this show is more focused on the males and is still partially sexist, but it does a lot better than a lot of animes.

Think about what would have happend if Haru and Kyoko weren't there to cook, clean, and watch the kids. The main fighters and trainers would have to take time out of their training to do those tasks which is time they couldn't afford to spare. what if they had frozen dinners instead of quality healthy meals. High sodium, small portions and low nutrition? Proper nutrition helps people recover from fatigue and grow stronger. What if one of the main fighters got sick because of a dirty environment?

Haru and Kyoko played an important support role, just like Gianinni did, and its a role that is seldom represented in action shonen.

OsirisAusare said:

Osiris.

you make some good points, but to me it makes sense for Bianchi to stay behind. Otherwise, who would protect the base? Gianinni? Rebon? Not with that ray that could disable him. After Hibari headed into the fray, she was definitely their last line of defense at the base.
DaydreamHeroMay 1, 2014 11:06 AM
Love and Peace!!!
May 1, 2014 11:11 AM

Nov 2010
Gianni and Spanner could have made robots or gadgets to do all the housework. Sounds quite easy seeing what other things they have built.

And Sanji from One Piece is the cook yet he's the third strongest fighter in the group. And cleaning isn't something that needs to be shown. Naruto cleaned his own room and he could wipe the floor with Tsuna. He also eats mostly ramen and is too pretty strong. It's an anime not real life, there are plenty of other things they could have done.
May 1, 2014 11:35 AM

Dec 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Gianni and Spanner could have made robots or gadgets to do all the housework. Sounds quite easy seeing what other things they have built.

And Sanji from One Piece is the cook yet he's the third strongest fighter in the group. And cleaning isn't something that needs to be shown. Naruto cleaned his own room and he could wipe the floor with Tsuna. He also eats mostly ramen and is too pretty strong. It's an anime not real life, there are plenty of other things they could have done.

Of course its easy to imagine many ways in which domestic work is supper easy or unnecessary, but I don't think its an accident that creators decided to show the value of women who do domestic work and support roles that are not combat related, which I give realism points because that does matter in the real world. I think this show slightly illustrates the reality that in a war-time situation the people that fight aren't the only ones that "matter". Yes she could have done more to drive this point home but I think this show deserves credit for making that point.
Love and Peace!!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Episode 78 Discussion

hyunnie14 - Apr 14, 2008

20 by onvoorspelbaar »»
3 hours ago

» Reborn the Character

Kakuneon - Apr 14

0 by Kakuneon »»
Apr 14, 2:37 AM

Poll: » Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Episode 203 Discussion ( 1 2 )

byebyeblackbird - Dec 2, 2010

93 by Yuurippe22 »»
Apr 7, 9:02 AM

» 80 episodes in and im wondering if its worth to continue

smolseok - Jan 7

8 by Kenpachi_91 »»
Jan 8, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Episode 3 Discussion

Zinvy - Aug 10, 2009

26 by FanthyLord »»
Nov 5, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.