Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2014 8:20 PM

Jul 2013
Some while ago I finished the anime series and was left somewhat disappointed because I didn't realize that it was an incomplete series. However, I really do like the series so far and would like to get further into it through the light novels. I am aware that they are still not finished, but they're obviously a hell of a lot more complete than the anime.
So I was wondering what the best way of going about it would be considering I've already watched the anime. Are there books I can skip, and if so, to where? Or is the adaptation lacking and would it be best to start from page 1?
Apr 4, 2014 8:41 PM

Mar 2008
I haven't read/researched this, but from what people were saying while it was airing, you'd probably be best off starting from the very beginning as the novels are loaded with content that the anime had to skip out on. (You know the novels are huge, right?)

I hope you can read Japanese, because I don't think anyone has/will take up the monumental challenge of translating this huge series, though it's possible it might be available in Chinese.
Apr 4, 2014 9:07 PM

Jul 2013
I am aware of the just how expansive the series is, but I guess that was the least of my worries. It looks like the first three books have been translated, but I completely forgot to consider English availability. I guess I figured light novels and mangas would be a lot faster about that since they don't require a voice cast like dubs do. And even then, anime subs come out so quickly but that's likely thanks to publishing companies, which I would guess isn't as popular with written works.
But thanks for the tip!
Apr 4, 2014 9:20 PM

Mar 2008
You're right. A quick google and it looks like fan translation is at 2 fully translated and one other almost completed.

Other than the technical difficulties (encoding, type-setting, timing), it's usually a lot easier to translate anime as opposed to the far larger amount of text found in a book.
Apr 5, 2014 12:55 AM

Apr 2013
Start from the start here. Or you're going to be lost, even after watching the anime. That series had too much explanations cut from it in the anime, keeping mainly the fights. This is especially true for the second series, but even the first one lost an impressive amount of explanations.
As a reminder : volume 1-2 : 1st anime series
volume 3-4 : 2d anime series

Also, translating Horizon is an extremely tedious task. Not only the books are 3 times bigger than your usual light novel, but they're far harder to translate than most ln as well ImO. I'd say it's lucky that Horizon got the most active ln translator currently; or hope of seeing it finished one day would have been extremely slim.
Apr 5, 2014 1:04 AM

Jul 2013
That's unfortunate. Though I wouldn't prefer it, would I have any better luck keeping up with the manga?
Apr 5, 2014 1:16 AM

Mar 2008
DrFancy said:
That's unfortunate. Though I wouldn't prefer it, would I have any better luck keeping up with the manga?
Possibly, as it looks like they're about up to date.
Apr 5, 2014 12:10 PM

Apr 2013
It's going to take 50 years for the manga to reach the novels and I'm not kidding on the numbers considering where the manga is and its pace. Only hope is the LN being translated.
It's the same for Index's manga. If you calculate at this rate how much time it will take for the Index manga to reach the end of the gremlin arc, it's around 20 years, and gremlin arc isn't the end of the series. Kyoukaisenjou no horizon has more page than index and the manga after a year hasn't even finished to adapt the first book which is the smallest of the series by far. And that series isn't finished, either.

This already extreme luck that this series was picked up by the fastest japanese-> english translator amongst LN translators. He seems very dedicated as well so if someone can do it it's him.
volume 1 and 3 are fully translated, volume 2 is almost fully translated, and volume 5 is half translated. I think he picked up that series like a few months ago.
He's also translating the prequel of Horizon (Owari no chronicle) btw. Which is huge as well. Several volumes translated in a few months. Also translating the Index series.
That guy is nuts.
ZefyrisApr 5, 2014 12:26 PM
Apr 6, 2014 10:01 PM

Jun 2012
Zefyris said:
It's going to take 50 years for the manga to reach the novels and I'm not kidding on the numbers considering where the manga is and its pace. Only hope is the LN being translated.
It's the same for Index's manga. If you calculate at this rate how much time it will take for the Index manga to reach the end of the gremlin arc, it's around 20 years, and gremlin arc isn't the end of the series. Kyoukaisenjou no horizon has more page than index and the manga after a year hasn't even finished to adapt the first book which is the smallest of the series by far. And that series isn't finished, either.

This already extreme luck that this series was picked up by the fastest japanese-> english translator amongst LN translators. He seems very dedicated as well so if someone can do it it's him.
volume 1 and 3 are fully translated, volume 2 is almost fully translated, and volume 5 is half translated. I think he picked up that series like a few months ago.
He's also translating the prequel of Horizon (Owari no chronicle) btw. Which is huge as well. Several volumes translated in a few months. Also translating the Index series.
That guy is nuts.

Based Js06
Apr 7, 2014 12:22 AM

Apr 2013
Pretty much. He's also translating other stuff at the same time to boot ;o.
I don't think I ever read one of his translated LN so I'm not sure about quality, but it doesn't seem bad either from what I saw/from the manga translations that were/are from him. I really don't know how he can translate all of this seriously x]
Apr 7, 2014 12:57 AM

Jul 2013
So is it safe to rely on this Js06's deliverings as a godsend and hope that we'll be able to read the LNs in their fully translated glory by some reasonable amount of time or would it be faster just to actually learn Japanese?
Apr 7, 2014 11:35 AM

Apr 2013
He's fast. The 4th volume is the biggest of the series so it should take him a while (1150+ pages lol, that thing took me so long just to read it :x ), and he has several series at the sale time so it depends of his priorities, but yeah, there should be no need to learn Japanese to read this one. 6 months ago I would have said to that question 'learn japanese, because there's no way someone would be crazy enough to seriously translate something that big" but now well, yeah. And the more times passes, the less volumes in the other series should remain so more and more focus on horizon I suppose.

Now, it's a novel, and it's the biggest of them all by volume to boot, so don't expect it to be translated completely any time soon.
ZefyrisApr 7, 2014 11:38 AM
Apr 7, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2013
Ha, I've already started learning Japanese, but It's a huge relief knowing that I'll be able to read it before I'm any good at it. Thanks again for the info.
Apr 8, 2014 12:47 AM

Apr 2013
I see. Well, Horizon isn't especially the easiest book you can find among LN- not even taking about the size here- so starting to read japanese literature by this one would be a bit harsh.

More topics from this board

» Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon_SEASON 3 ??? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nova12 - Sep 22, 2012

168 by derpinat0rz »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Best girl poll

Doc101 - Mar 12

4 by DarkLeafNinja »»
Mar 12, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2012

71 by Didi6970 »»
Jul 18, 2023 11:33 AM

Poll: » Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 21, 2012

55 by Didi6970 »»
Jul 14, 2023 9:12 AM

» After watching both season, I really like the power system, but should I continue watching manga?

aLotQuestion_ - May 10, 2021

1 by Zefyris »»
Jun 20, 2021 4:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.