Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Aug 22, 2017 5:02 AM

Jul 2016
what the actual fuck
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Dec 30, 2017 10:22 PM

Sep 2013
The final episode told the backstory of where she got her fucking barrette??? Really????

To call this show a train-wreck is an insult to train-wrecks everywhere.

1/10

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 24, 2018 8:46 AM
Dec 2017
,, its not so bad to be eatn by my sister" xD idk why people say pupa i so bad, its fine ^_^
Apr 24, 2018 11:22 PM

Feb 2018
This anime felt like somebody took goregrind lyrics, a third-rate sibling incest eromanga, and stuffed it into the hands of a 13-year-old emo girl and told her to write up a script.
I know I might be angering manga fans here, but just from watching the anime, all I got out of it was that most of these characters deserve a Darwin award.
Even the gorn and cannibalism felt like a cop-out. The gore is just red paint, and the cannibalism might as well just have been sex.

And of course it had to be symbolic and whatnot. The stuffed bears had more edge to them than a binge of Evanescence's entire discography.

The dude who decided that threatening Wolverine and a flesh-eating, head-ripping being with a pocket knife was a good idea didn't even get brutally mauled. I feel bad for the students who died to Yume at the beginning. They probably were the only sane characters in this anime and thus were condemned to die.

However, it was an amazing series to laugh at -- I'll give them that.
And in the labyrinth both son and sire
Awhile will fan and fuel hatred's fire;
Sparks of the log of evil are all men
Allwhere—extinguished be the race entire!
Nov 3, 2018 9:25 PM

Oct 2017
I can't believe I sat through THAT
Nov 17, 2018 10:48 AM

Nov 2009
6/10, rated solely on enjoyment. It appeals to a very niche audience like myself that enjoy anime with excess gore and dementia. This was better than Corpse Party in my opinion because it actually made sense even if it wasn't realistic like I'd anticipated and was pretty farfetched, especially visually for added effect. The story reminded me of Elfen Lied in how they were infected which gave them superpowers and Yume the desire to kill (and eat) people. They wern't necessarily bad people but they accepted that they're monsters. They had to, since they can't die and yet life was harder for them than anyone. Where as Elfen Lied didn't have enough gore and too much filler, this had over the top gore and wasn't filled out enough. Both ended up falling short with wasted potential.

The moral I took from this is that no matter how screwed up life becomes or you yourself become, as long as you have someone to lean on that you love and are loved by, that makes life easier. Makes me wonder what would've happened if they didn't have eachother. The last episode was nice how it was a flashback to their happier days. Rewatched ep 11 afterwards to be clear on the ending and I assume that they just continue on their murder spree but what happened to Maria and her experimental child??? Who was that monster in her dungeon, was it their Father? What was the meaning behind "Which is a dream? Which is real?" Was the whole thing perhaps the fantasy of a psychopath? Was there going to be a sequel or is it like @Rei366 said and it's essentially a trailer for the manga? Will have to read it.
Bles-Nov 17, 2018 10:55 AM
Dec 18, 2018 9:01 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
The anime was borderline bad, aside from how gross it was and leaving some parts unexplained. The gore was making me squeamish. And enough with the onii-chans, please!

The last episode of how she got her barette was cute though.
Dec 21, 2018 3:35 PM

Oct 2015
For such a gory show they sure ended with a cute episode, which was contradictive by the way. So it means the story ended at the 11 episode.

Yeah! That was some dark shit but I've seen worse dark shit (*cough*cat soup), it was funny for me especially when Yume digs into her brother's flesh and say onii-chan while she's eating, that was some incest shit right there. When Utsutsu replied in his thoughts about the ordeal I was mesmerized, like "I like the look yume makes when she is eating my flesh" and my favorite "when my meat is inside of her". That was some top level fetish shit man, this writer was high on something really bad.

I don't get what was the purpose of Mari in the story, she was a weird fan service to me and very pointless. Her role ended early without making a real impact to the story line.

5/10 4/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 7, 2019 4:52 PM

Dec 2015
Terrible anime and the ending felt like something that should be used in the beginning as background information, not a finale.
Feb 8, 2019 3:57 AM

Feb 2017
lms if you also feverishly rubbed yourself to this
May 22, 2019 12:02 PM

Sep 2017
Wait... huh? What? What was that? That made me even more confused? That's really it? They are seriously just going to leave everything unresolved like that? Whatever. I give up. 2/10. Not a 1/10 because the art style wasn't that bad all things considered and Nobunaga Shimazaki did a pretty good job as Utsutsu. The show is still complete garbage.

GytanzoJun 29, 2019 7:45 PM
Jun 9, 2019 2:13 AM
Dec 2017
it wasn't as bad as you faggots say
Jun 30, 2019 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
This ending was bizarre and so different from the previous episodes, but it is definitely its advantage. The final episode was the best one out of all 12 eps, at least for me. First thing, it was at least consistent. Second thing it was the last episode of this appaling anime.

Everything was bad here. Very bad. No need to point out which elements were good or worse, because 99% of them were on the level of garbage. We mustn't forget about whole concept's execution... y'know, it was supposed to be a horror show, but it was more like terrible-quality comedy with gore scenes.

I always try to find positives, even in trashy work of art like "Pupa". So, the only positive things I saw were: interesting art style (only at the beginning though, later it got dull and lost its charm); that cat with a camera in its eye; character voiced by Kenjirou Tsuda (it was great to hear his lovely voice).
Jul 25, 2019 5:07 PM
Apr 2016
Lmao didn't expect the last episode to be like this. Adorable last episode, honestly. Horrible gore anime, no wonder people hate it.
Oct 20, 2019 2:07 PM

Jun 2015
me before watching: maybe it'snot that bad
me now: it IS that bad
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 5, 2020 3:58 PM

Sep 2017
Oh sure, put them on children, make them smile, put a lot of color and ready happy end, well applause the producers ... Ah, but I am missing the summary of the story right? Well, here I leave you: '' Onii-Chan is delicious ''
May 15, 2020 9:06 PM

Jul 2019
I read some of the manga before I watched this but they never showed what happened to the baby that was in her belly
May 22, 2020 11:07 AM

Sep 2012
Very inconsistent, ineffective and shallow. But wouldn't say it's among ridiculous trainwrecks like Skelter Heaven, Mars of Destruction and Crystal Triangle. It had some ideas, some themes. Some resemblence of coherence. Execution definitely destroyed that, but there was not much to destroy. Somwhere between 2 and 3 out of 10.
GaerledMay 22, 2020 11:50 AM
Jun 3, 2020 8:05 AM

Feb 2020
Wow that was amazing. Such lovable and complex characters, such a well-written story, such strong emotions conveyed...
No seriously I don't know what I watched. There was an attempt to create something but I don't know what happened, it's like they gave up at some point and just did nonsense.
The concept in itself is very weird amd disturbing but there were some thoughts put into it and it could have made a decent horror show if they actually tried. But uh...
-Each episode is 3 min long
-The characters aren't developed despite clear attempts to do so
-An entire episode has been used to show the sister eating her brother while moaning "Onii-Chan"
-The last episode is a cute story with bunnies and plushies (WHY)
And I could go on...If it was a comedy it would've been a 6/10 (because even when looking at it ironically, it's not that funny aside from the absurdity of this last episode), but the show actually takes itself seriously so 3/10. I'm not rating it lower because there was an actual attempt to make something decent but I'm not rating higher because I think I lost braincells watching that thing.
Not that I didn't expect it, I already knew this show's reputation, I just wanted to see if it actually lived up to it and well... It does.
Oct 22, 2020 10:39 PM
May 2020
Well idk why at the end didn't finish the sotry but i think it'll be good if there's remake n more duration. actually I've watched this anime 6 years ago but i wanted to watch it again :)
Dec 11, 2020 11:46 AM
Jan 2020
Who was even those guys?! They actually introduced new characters at the end?! There was no point in this episode
Dec 12, 2020 2:05 PM

Jan 2020
what kind of ending is that. this anime will give me nightmares. no, not from the gore that is 90% censored but from how shitty this anime really is. what type of ending is this, what is even the point of the story in this anime, the characters don't even make sense and are as dumb as socks with sandals, the sounds disgust me (i am only fine with the voice acting), and the animation is hella poor.

if a 0/10 existed on MAL i would've given it that.

congrats "pupa" you got a 1/10
:D

well let's hope my brain forgets this shit.
BUT NOW AT LAST ITS DONE
NO MORE "PUPA"
I SERIOUSLY NEED MORE THAN JUST A MAL BADGE FOR COMPLETING THIS
3099Dec 12, 2020 2:44 PM
Dec 12, 2020 2:06 PM

Jan 2020
Jamiplayer said:
Who was even those guys?! They actually introduced new characters at the end?! There was no point in this episode

the studio was trying way too hard to make a "memorable" ending
but they ended up with creating a pile of shit at the end .-.
Dec 30, 2020 10:33 PM
Nov 2020
So what happened to the lady that was artificially insemated with Yuma's egg and her big brothers sperm? (In episode 7)
Feb 27, 2021 11:25 AM

Mar 2015
What happened to the pregnant lady lol did they just forget that plot point?

S2 when
Jun 26, 2021 6:06 AM

Dec 2019
So shitty that it's funny, but it is still better than FranXX and Yosuga no Sora.
Jul 30, 2021 7:26 PM

Feb 2014
Okay so like I heard this show was bad but I din't think it would be THAT bad lmao. It was TERRIBLE. Nothing was wrapped up in the end, there's no closure whatsoever smh. Yume was randomly killing people for the sake of drama but like when it would've actually helped the two (e.g. she coulda killed the lady with the hat and the guy who was beating up her brother in the warehouse) she didn't do anything??? 1/10 it was sooooo terrible
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2021 3:16 PM

Aug 2008
Well it was short I'll give it that. Perhaps it would have been more tolerable if it was cut into one episode instead that 3min garbage? Ha, no. Completely bold move of the show to end with no explanations or conclusion whatsoever. 3/10 seems a generous rating, I'll give it that.
Sep 19, 2021 10:31 AM

Feb 2021
What a joke. Seriously I'm just watching it for filling up my anime list lmao.

Nov 15, 2021 1:30 AM
Aug 2021
Loved how they just conveniently threw out ALL the plot points just for some incestual vore and a stupid filler.
3/10. They could've made a proper series with a decent premise but they just gave up on it.
Apr 9, 2022 10:04 PM
Jan 2022
A very disturbing anime, which plot goes right here, right there and somewhere (lol), therefore left soooooo many questions. At least this better than other trainwreck short animes like Koko Mika and Skelter Heaven. Still 2/10 is at best.
Apr 18, 2022 1:52 PM

Jul 2016
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DAMN PREGNANT LADY SUBPLOT???!!!

1/10 - And who the fuck is Arita?
May 10, 2022 3:36 PM

Apr 2021
Judging the final episode by itself, I think it's actually really good. Now of course it was nothing more than backstory, but it was super cute. It stands alone very nicely and still manages to tell a story within 3 minutes. The choice of making it the final episode of the anime (instead of a standalone OVA episode or whatever) is what's strange about it, as it's completely disconnected from the rest. That said, if you show this episode to... well, just about anybody, I guarantee that the reception would be largely positive. 8/10 final episode, 5.5/10 show for me. I'm rounding up to 6 because of the final episode.

I liked the emphasis on the caring sibling relationship that pushes them to help one another. Regardless of the actual content within the show as a whole (which is received largely negatively), I very much enjoy this sort of emotional basis. Unfortunately, it went a liiiittle bit into questionable territory at times. Watching Yume eat flesh was actually interesting to me, and I like the way the anime showed it for extended periods of time. Why? Because you can see she doesn't like it. She just has to due to this uncontrollable hunger, and you can see the sadness she feels through it all. Well, those scenes had an emotional impact in me, in any case.

Unfortunately, at 3 minutes per episode, the anime left us with practically more questions than answers. A lot of plot points were left unresolved, or unaddressed. That doesn't bother me so much, though, as it's not the sort of story that REQUIRES super indepth world building and lore. We get the gist of it. But that does knock an extra point down for me. Yeah, I'm lowering my score from 6 to 5, after all.
MirinkaiserMay 10, 2022 3:42 PM
"Death is not the end. Being forgotten is."
Jun 23, 2022 1:54 AM

Jan 2020
I hate the word "Onii-chan" now.
Sep 18, 2022 2:29 PM
Oct 2017
The worst anime I have ever seen in my whole life! :)
Oct 11, 2022 12:58 AM

Aug 2018
I pretty much enjoyed pupa. I does my heart good to see an onii-chan who loves his little sister so much. And, it had a happy ending, what more could anyone want?

the_ugly_bastard said:
it wasn't as bad as you faggots say
That's my feeling too, I rather enjoyed this series, it was very original.
Oct 26, 2022 2:42 AM
Jul 2022
이게 끝....? 만화를 봐야하는건가...?
Nov 26, 2022 3:28 PM
Apr 2020
Generaly shit but omg XD
Dec 31, 2022 5:30 AM
Jan 2022
?????

What did I just watched?

And why's this episode become wholesome at the end?

I'm losing my mind!!
Jan 15, 2023 4:01 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah, that ending kinda sucked. Well, I guess I'll view the previous episode as the ending. Don't know why this one was placed here, the random side characters we don't know, the tone being so different, nothing of value really being added I guess beyond showing how long they've had a bond? Honestly though, previous episode was where the show should have ended.
What's with stuff like Edgerunners or this holding lots of good stuff but then dropping the ball so hard at the end. Ah well. I'll probably make some "OVA cut," where I'll put the whole thing together in two episodes, but skip this bloody one... or maybe find somewhere it could possibly fit better but with the characters who only showed up here, I really would be surprised if there's somewhere it fits.
Also why the hell was he reading Pupa? Whack, really feels like filler.
I'll read the manga for a better ending, also probably better pacing, but will say, this anime has some quality episodes so is weird it's seen under such scrutiny when worse stuff like Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is more regularly exposed in fine lights.
Ai should have been written out of the story in a satisfying way. She and the others she was with had something engaging going on so to see that they were dropped out after the weird twist, yeah, unfortunate, hopefully the manga does satisfying stuff with them.
Episode title had me believe for a bit it could be focusing on the baby... imagine how much of a solid ending we could have had there, heavy regeneration massacre monster which exists because of the siblings, which they'd be confronted by, which could lead to some kind of chilling development of where Utsusu effectively beats his own child, with Yume horrified as abuse breeds more abuse. You know? Something horrific and upset would have been a much more high quality ending for here. Would have been hard to pace in the short time however would have been much cooler.
Overall 6/10, ending isn't making me forget good parts from before, left me wishing for a better conclusion though. Like fuckin' hell, my ending idea is an improvement, c'mon.
May 2, 2023 10:09 PM
May 2023
The manga was better and the story is straight but the execution and animation for this anime wasn't the greatest. However, due to their limited budget, it made the story at first hard to understand but I'd say even with 4 mins per episode that it was a great anime. It's better and more watchable than some others I've seen.
Aug 18, 2023 3:08 PM
Jan 2021
This was absolutely amazing 10.10
Aug 21, 2023 7:35 AM

Sep 2008
Well, that is one way to end it. 1/10
Sep 12, 2023 6:52 AM

Dec 2022
Very strange to see the last episode being a flashback, but it was alright. Pupa itself seems like a watchable anime, besides the plot being seemingly vague and out of order. The artstyle had some aesthetic value to me, and Yume and Utsutsu's relationship had a virtuous feeling to it. No matter how fucked up their circumstances were, they continued to find each other and take comfort in their bonds, even if it involves having to withstand a deal of pain along the way.

Difficult anime to rate, but it's certainly not bad.
Archean-ReturnSep 12, 2023 7:55 AM

Shaded Horizon

Oct 11, 2023 8:54 AM
Apr 2014
That episode came out of nowhere. Like... cute animation I guess? Probably the only episode that made any kind of sense. The placement as the final episode doesn't though. This should have been maybe ep 2-3. And it's the only reason I'm not going to give the lowest possible score. It's been a while since I gave any scores but THIS... This is just so incredibly bad and pointless it deserves to be scored.

I still don't get what the point of this whole show was even. It's not interesting, it's not much gore but a whole lot of "technically not" incest (at least if we ignore whatever the fuck that pregnant scientist lady was doing). There is no story to tell and yet here we are, wasting 50 minutes of our life over whatever this is.

I seriously wish so badly I could have seen the discussion about making this anime...Any discussion between all involved parties, really. Like who green-lit this? And what were the arguments that made them go like "Sounds good! You have a deal!"? You have to imagine this. Someone used their own resources to produce THIS! I really want to know how they were convinced to do that. What was their reaction on seeing the finished product? Do they regret this choice? So many open questions :/
Dec 22, 2023 4:37 PM
Dec 2023
ACHEI PERFEITO.

GOSTARIA DE MAIS TEMPORADAS, POREM ACHEI OS EPS MUITO LONGOS

NAO ENTENDI O FINAL ACHEI UM POUCO FORA DO ROTEIRO
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Is Pupa bad because of it's abhorrent themes or was it simply just horribly made?

timboy - Mar 23, 2021

14 by Epiccgaymer »»
Jan 7, 8:54 AM

» [Long] Pupa: a solid 6/10

Barusamikosu - Dec 30, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 31, 2023 3:35 AM

Poll: » Pupa Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2014

386 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:09 PM

Poll: » Pupa Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 30, 2014

95 by Z3NITH4L »»
Nov 22, 2023 3:46 AM

Poll: » Pupa Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2014

143 by Nanashi »»
Oct 10, 2023 1:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.