Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 22, 2009 9:49 AM

Sep 2007
Splitter said:
While your rant has some potency in that the market is playing it safe right now with loads of shounen and moe, we're getting a lot of good things in the mix like Aoi Hana, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, FMA: Brotherhood, and (quite possibly the guiltiest pleasure ever made) Needless. We're not in dire straits yet.

I gotta ask though, if you're defending Umineko, why does your status say you dropped it?

Aoi Hana doesn't interest me at all. Needless just looks like your normal shounen, but it's animated by Madhouse. I have actually been meaning to download Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, it actually looks ok. And the new Fullmetal Alchemist is a joke. It's just the same story as the last one told 4 times faster. Tell me when it actually starts splitting off from the old anime.

Anway, believe me. I'm not defending Umineko at all. It's still a horrible adaption of the VN that hurts my eyes when I watch it. 6/10 (Fine) is a complement to it.
Gotta love good ole' Studio DEEN.

Denwa said:
Foggle said:
This episode stopped being interesting when it turned into Bleach.

LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT SUM GOATS LOLZ

Then you should just drop it because banquet and alliance have a whole bunch of magic.
Fuck, I feel like spoiling, but just read the VN.

Uhhh, Foggle has read the VNs. :P
DrZedAug 22, 2009 9:54 AM
Aug 22, 2009 9:58 AM
Apr 2009
Oh well, my bad.
Aug 22, 2009 9:58 AM

Aug 2008
FMA: Brotherhood has been on new material for a month or maybe more.
Aug 22, 2009 10:02 AM
Sep 2008
FMA:Brotherhood has cut off from the old anime for a while now. Around episode 12 or something I think.

Needless really just seems like a shounen anime making fun of shounen anime. I'm, uhh, only at episode three. I lose drive to watch it whenever I see the op.
Aug 22, 2009 10:03 AM

Sep 2007
noteDhero said:
FMA: Brotherhood has been on new material for a month or maybe more.

I had thought about checking a few days ago but in the end I forgot to.

z2000 said:
FMA:Brotherhood has cut off from the old anime for a while now. Around episode 12 or something I think.

Needless really just seems like a shounen anime making fun of shounen anime. I'm, uhh, only at episode three. I lose drive to watch it whenever I see the op.

Hahaha. The opening is that bad?
Aug 22, 2009 10:44 AM

Jun 2007

I can read that. XD

the episode was great, I love Battler, and KanonXJessica part was sad T__T
and the red letters... wow XD
few seconds after I finished the episode I wrote on my MSN to my friend "this episode was great" with red font. XD
Aug 22, 2009 1:28 PM

Jan 2009
Hm. Kinda OT, but Needless is pretty fun. Technically, it's seinen (since those are decided by the magazine the manga is published in, not any demographic/genre concerns); but it does parody and take shonen tropes and goes beyond the impossible with them. Probably the best series to come from Madhouse's "BADhouse" team.

The OP is pretty good IMO... shows just how hotblooded the whole series is. The ED, on the other hand, I have no idea why it exists; in series those lolis aren't like that. Well, maybe a little.
Aug 22, 2009 2:47 PM

Sep 2007
Denwa said:
Foggle said:

Then you should just drop it because banquet and alliance have a whole bunch of magic.

I've read a good amount of the VNs. The scene in question was exceedingly lame there, too, but nowhere near as horrible as it was in the anime.
Aug 22, 2009 3:27 PM

Jun 2007
Foggle said:
Denwa said:
Foggle said:

I've read a good amount of the VNs. The scene in question was exceedingly lame there, too, but nowhere near as horrible as it was in the anime.

Now that's just dumb. The anime was better because it actually had animation. the VN fight consisted of two images flashing repeatedly. It was still LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT A GOAT.
Aug 22, 2009 3:30 PM

Sep 2007
I love you, Sayaka Ohara <3
Aug 22, 2009 3:33 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
Foggle said:
Denwa said:
Foggle said:

Now that's just dumb. The anime was better because it actually had animation. the VN fight consisted of two images flashing repeatedly. It was still LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT A GOAT.

No, I'm sorry MarthX. Just because it had animation does not mean it's automatically better. I have to agree with him that the scene was much better in the VN. They were both very WTF and completely LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT A GOAT. But the VN simply handled the lameness better.

We are all welcome to our own opinions, and that's our opinion on this.
Aug 22, 2009 4:04 PM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:
Foggle said:
Denwa said:
Foggle said:

No, I'm sorry MarthX. Just because it had animation does not mean it's automatically better. I have to agree with him that the scene was much better in the VN. They were both very WTF and completely LOL IMMA PULL OUT MY LIGHT SWORD AND CUT A GOAT. But the VN simply handled the lameness better.

This.

I actually like the anime a lot, so far. I find it enjoyable and much easier to partake in than the VN, but that scene was just bad. Perhaps it was better in the VN because I couldn't see just how horrible it was, but I disliked it there, too. It was merely a case of bad writing (which is very rare for Ryukishi07, I'd like to add).
Aug 22, 2009 4:30 PM

Apr 2007
Foggle said:
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:
Foggle said:
Denwa said:
Foggle said:

This.

I actually like the anime a lot, so far. I find it enjoyable and much easier to partake in than the VN, but that scene was just bad. Perhaps it was better in the VN because I couldn't see just how horrible it was, but I disliked it there, too. It was merely a case of bad writing (which is very rare for Ryukishi07, I'd like to add).

Have you gotten to Ep3? Because if you thought THAT scene was bad writing, the scenes in Ep3 are probably going to be "horrendous writing".
Aug 22, 2009 4:53 PM

Aug 2009
Nettachan said:

I can read that. XD

few seconds after I finished the episode I wrote on my MSN to my friend "this episode was great" with red font. XD

Hey you can read Hebrew? That is nice but natural since you are from Israel....right? Not only that the website has tons of other symbols that will prove EXCELLENT reference should Beatrice use other ones.After all she is a witch of the devil.

Aug 22, 2009 5:50 PM

Jan 2009
is there!
the "RED TEXT"
Aug 22, 2009 6:23 PM

May 2008
Oh my god..no wonder it sounds like Maria's always going 'Hau haauuu', she's watching too much Higurashi! XD Lawl @ the TV.

Boo @ the censorship :/ I would have loved to see their candy stuffed corpses to the full extent.

Eh...overall the series is starting to get pretty bland. Higurashi (first season) was much better imo. I might have to change my rating from a 9 to an 8 if it doesn't start picking up a little more.

Aug 22, 2009 6:47 PM
May 2009
This episode wasn't as impactive as it should've been. :(

They really have been butchering it... if you don't compare it to the VN though this ep was ok. This could have been oh so so so much better though. I'm just sad that when compared to Higurashi, this adaptation is nowhere near as good... so far. My main complaint is that they're adding a lot of cheese to it. :( The emotional scenes/acting is getting better though. Like the reaction to the first twilight.
Aug 22, 2009 7:00 PM

Jun 2007
Higurashi (first season) was a terrible adaption. So many skipped scenes that were important. Most of the slice of life stuff at the beginning of each arc was cut, which severely hurt characterization. Keiichi's character was raped. The anime made him look like a gigantic idiot until the end. DEEN focused too much on the horror side, which gave people the false idea that Higurashi was all about horror. Kai (a much more faithful adaption) showed otherwise. Finally, the artwork and animation was terrible. The only reason people think Higurashi was a good adaption is because the VN/manga weren't translated when it was airing.

Umineko is far better adaption wise than Higurashi's first season was. It's about on the level of Kai.
LunarEmeraldAug 22, 2009 7:11 PM
Aug 22, 2009 7:05 PM

Aug 2009
KayChan4U said:
Oh my god..no wonder it sounds like Maria's always going 'Hau haauuu', she's watching too much Higurashi! XD Lawl @ the TV.

Boo @ the censorship :/ I would have loved to see their candy stuffed corpses to the full extent.

Eh...overall the series is starting to get pretty bland. Higurashi (first season) was much better imo. I might have to change my rating from a 9 to an 8 if it doesn't start picking up a little more.

About the censorship: either it was reserved for DVD or there were brands of candy they did not want to show.

Aug 22, 2009 7:15 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
Higurashi (first season) was a terrible adaption. So many skipped scenes that were important. Most of the slice of life stuff at the beginning of each arc was cut, which severely hurt characterization. Keiichi's character was raped. The anime made him look like a gigantic idiot until the end. DEEN focused too much on the horror side, which gave people the false idea that Higurashi was all about horror. Kai (a much more faithful adaption) showed otherwise. Finally, the artwork and animation was terrible. The only reason people think Higurashi was a good adaption is because the VN/manga weren't translated when it was airing.

Umineko is far better adaption wise than Higurashi's first season was. It's about on the level of Kai.

At least cutting scenes like that allowed them to make the scenes they kept actually good. Yeah, this anime has most of the scenes from the VN, but they don't have nearly enough time for most of the scenes. And when they do they decide to give a scene enough time they throw any flare or impact that scene had out the window.
The one exception is episode 5.
Aug 22, 2009 7:20 PM

Jun 2007
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:

At least cutting scenes like that allowed them to make the scenes they kept actually good. Yeah, this anime has most of the scenes from the VN, but they don't have nearly enough time for most of the scenes. And when they do they decide to give a scene enough time they throw any flare or impact that scene had out the window.

You really think the scenes Higurshi kept were good? Oh wow.. Keiichi's "perfect murder" plan was torn to pieces with no high-speed thinking. Keiichi and Rena's rooftop battle had such awful animation and took out most of the good lines. No.. I'm sorry but saying Higurashi did the scenes well is severely mistaken.
Aug 22, 2009 7:30 PM

Aug 2009
MarthX said:
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:

You really think the scenes Higurshi kept were good? Oh wow.. Keiichi's "perfect murder" plan was torn to pieces with no high-speed thinking. Keiichi and Rena's rooftop battle had such awful animation and took out most of the good lines. No.. I'm sorry but saying Higurashi did the scenes well is severely mistaken.

They remaster it then in Bluray or something, I would say to that.

Aug 22, 2009 7:59 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:

Yeah, the rooftop fight was the single worst scene of season 1.

Ok well, whatever. DEEN sucks no matter what they do then.
Aug 22, 2009 8:09 PM

Feb 2009
What's with the censorship? -_-

Quite boring episode.
Aug 22, 2009 8:09 PM

Apr 2007
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:

To me, it sounds like you're saying that it's okay to cut relevant info from the plot to focus on certain good scenes that'll make the anime better. Because this is essentially what season 1 of Higurashi did. Why else would Ryukishi have personally requested an anime-only arc in the beginning of Higurashi Kai? Just to fill up the 24 episode slot? No, it's because the first season left out so much important information relevant to the mystery that they needed that arc to fill in that missing information.

And many of the really good, emotional scenes were cut from Higurashi. Season 1 of Higurashi focused too much on the horror and suspense aspects, without going into the drama and tragedy. Well, I can only truly account for Onikakushi-hen, and the rest from the manga and the complaints I've read from the original game fans.

The ending of Onikakushi-hen was a lot more tragic than scary in the original VN because it gave more time to develop Keiichi and Rena's relationship. Granted, you could say the same for the Kanon x Jessica scene at the end of this episode. Actually, out of Higurashi season 1, I think Onikakushi-hen was the best adaptation.

Here's another example of a very good, emotional scene that was completely butchered, the doll scene during the end Watanagashi-hen and Meakashi-hen. The anime made Keiichi a complete idiot when he answered Shion's call from the outside even though she warned him not to. In the manga and VN however, it made a lot more sense because Keiichi bought another, identical doll to the one he gave Rena in the beginning since he thought that was what caused her to go crazy. Since he was moving, he thought that this was the only chance he could give it to her. Then Shion stabbed him because she realized that even when Mion was gone, there was still someone that thought of her instead of Shion (who had lost Satoshi the only person that like her for what she was). That scene COMPLETELY lost its meaning in the anime since there was no doll. Keiichi looked like an idiot, and Shion just seemed insane beyond help.

Then there's Tatarigoroshi-hen, which went by so fast that it barely developed Sakoto's abuse situation and how close she and Keiichi were that made him commit the murder. It also made Keiichi's murder seem spontaneous when it actually wasn't.

And this is also why some people watch Higurashi Kai expecting more "killer lolis", murders, and gore and expecting it to be the same as season 1, when Higurashi Kai was closer to the tone of the original. It wasn't all horror and suspense. For one thing, there was a lot more drama and slice-of-life moments.

This is not to say Umineko doesn't have it's problems. It's got pacing issues during much of the first arc (and still some now but not nearly as bad), the characters are a lot more "toned down" and I agree with you that a number of scenes lack the impact it did in the VN. But adaptation wise in comparison to Higurashi season 1, it's a lot better. I think I would actually rank it Higurashi Kai > Umineko > Higurashi season 1. Can't say much for Rei since I haven't played Saikoroshi-hen yet.
z-pakAug 22, 2009 8:13 PM
Aug 22, 2009 8:27 PM

Jun 2007
Season one of Higurashi tried to fit 6 games into 26 episodes, which resulted in many, many cuts and lightning fast pace. Thankfully, Umineko will only be 4 into 26.

Going by game size

Onikakushi: 500KB
Watanagashi: 690KB
Tatarigoroshi: 700KB
Himatsubushi: 320KB
Meakashi: 670KB
Tsumihoroboshi: 730KB

Total: 3610KB

Legend of the golden witch: 670KB
Turn of the golden witch: 640KB
Banquet of the golden witch: 710KB
Alliance of the golden witch: 870KB

Total: 2890KB

Umineko is practically guaranteed to have better pacing.
Aug 22, 2009 10:28 PM

Aug 2007
Studio Deen = Quality studio.
Aug 22, 2009 11:45 PM
Aug 2009
I feel like the thing that Higurashi had going for it (not as an adaptation persay, but in general) was that it had a much smaller main cast, which gave both the anime and the VN time to give the audience some kind of *a* feel for its characters, even though the anime itself skimped on a lot of important details from the VN.

Umineko has a much larger cast, and the anime this time is attempting to follow its VN's plot more accurately than Higurashi's did, but because of the pacing up to this point it's had to sacrifice character details and development by spreading its focus among everyone. A lot of this was provided for in the VN by having the third person narrator follow the thoughts of particular characters that stood out in each arc and provide background where needed.

In the anime, we're just seeing the characters react to scenes without that additional input from the narrator- and in a large number of cases, see Battler, Jessica, Rosa, etc, the reactions are toned down quite a bit. As a result, the atmosphere just feels blander in general, because the tension coming from the characters is reduced and we don't really know where most of the them are coming from when they do act a particular way. Most of the characters in this series seem like they're just there to be killed off eventually.

CUNTDESTROYER666 said:
if she is making fuckin words appear she obviously is a witch.

I think it's pretty obvious that she's a witch. The question is whether or not she's the only person who could have committed the murders.
Aug 23, 2009 1:23 AM

Dec 2007
I was a little disappointed with the first introduction of red, but after reading through the discussion my disappointed has subsided at least a bit. That was one of my favorite scenes from the SN but my expectations for the adaptation stopped short of it just being OK. I generally like how they did it in terms of effects but the scene was just too bland in my opinion.

I also couldn't find myself felling anything for Kannon and Shannon like i did in the SN, which was all due to the lack of development of them in the anime which has pretty much been presented by others here.

Though that's not to say I'm not enjoying it, it has many of it's own merits as a stand alone anime. But most of my motivation now is too see alot of my favorite scenes animated (As long as DEEN doesn't skimp out on scenes they think they can do without).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2009 2:21 AM

Jun 2007
Belum_Nabum said:
Nettachan said:

I can read that. XD

Hey you can read Hebrew? That is nice but natural since you are from Israel....right? Not only that the website has tons of other symbols that will prove EXCELLENT reference should Beatrice use other ones.After all she is a witch of the devil.

of course I can read hebrew, my hebrew is better than my INGRISH :D
somehow people like using hebrew letters for magic XD
well, in the symbol there isn't somthing really importent, I should ignore it's an old hebrew (you can find this on bibble) but I can find here "GOD", and a few names (Like "Ariel" and more) and "sacrifice an animal" (like in the bibble) two times..

nothing interesting XD
Aug 23, 2009 2:53 AM

Aug 2009
Nettachan said:
Belum_Nabum said:
Nettachan said:

I can read that. XD

of course I can read hebrew, my hebrew is better than my INGRISH :D
somehow people like using hebrew letters for magic XD
well, in the symbol there isn't somthing really importent, I should ignore it's an old hebrew (you can find this on bibble) but I can find here "GOD", and a few names (Like "Ariel" and more) and "sacrifice an animal" (like in the bibble) two times..

nothing interesting XD

Interesting if you PM me some other readings of this I would like to analyze it myself as my hebrew is 0%. My guess is this is all blapshemy in favor of the demons towards GOD but I might be guessing on religious suppositions.

Aug 23, 2009 8:38 AM

Nov 2007
Renza said:
Studio Deen = Quality studio.

While Beato and Battler were thinking, I just kept staring at her quality hands. They better redraw that scene for the DVD release because... seriously. Those chubby things aren't fingers.
Oh, and week square.

Overall, yeah, the VN had better pacing but it also dragged some scenes on and on forever. I guess it can't be helped unless they could devote a full 13 episode season to each arc.
At least, red text finally!
Aug 23, 2009 8:38 AM

Jan 2008
I solved the mystery. Kanon is Exia, and Beatrice is Throne Zwei, and those shits she summoned were the GN Fangs. So the culprit is obviously Ali-Al Seechez.
Aug 23, 2009 9:09 AM
Aug 23, 2009 12:03 PM

Oct 2007
AikoD said:
Those chubby things aren't fingers.

Maybe Deen's channeling the VN

Aug 23, 2009 12:47 PM

Sep 2007
Oh by the way, did anyone else lol when they saw Rika and Satoko on the TV behind Maria?
Aug 23, 2009 12:49 PM

Aug 2007
Iriya said:
Oh by the way, did anyone else lol when they saw Rika and Satoko on the TV behind Maria?

I think we've established the fact that Maria was wastching Higurashi. And yes, a lot of other people loled.
Aug 23, 2009 1:11 PM

Jun 2007
That was Rika and Hanyuu by the way, not Satoko.
Aug 23, 2009 1:51 PM

Oct 2007
This is a place that I always must need to come after watching the episode.

As for adaptation, I am kind of want to be on Marthx side. I would say even if we were to get a lot of more details on what we have already seen in the anime I wouldn't think we are going to understand the whole thing that was happening either and it just made thing ever slower. I guess the explaining that was done by the VN reader was something that was explained in the next arc rather than in this arc. But I also agreed with the anime should have done better with the explaining of rule of the game.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 23, 2009 2:16 PM

Jun 2007
The three biggest misconceptions I've seen are...

Thinking the meta-world and the real world are the same. Seeing something in the meta doesn't prove that it exists in the real. The VN never directly says that but it makes it obvious. Some anime only watchers are able to realize this but most aren't. By the way, the term "meta-world" was until recently just a fan made term. Aside from the "purgatorio" text at the beginning of EP1 tea party, a name is never given for the world in the VN.

Thinking the meta-world is proof that magic exists. The existence of the meta world is a mystery. It could be all sorts of things that aren't magic. This isn't said in the VN either but over time, you realize that the meta-world's existence isn't part of Battler and Beatrice's game because its existence is never brought up.

Thinking Battler is denying that witches and magic exist period. Since the anime hasn't really explained devil's proof and how Battler uses it so strongly, this misunderstanding is created. You can't prove that magic and witches don't exist period because it's a devil's proof. What Battler is trying to prove is that all the incidents on Rokkenjima can be explained without the use of magic. To Battler, proving that everything can be explained without witches and magic effectively means that they don't exist in his world.
LunarEmeraldAug 23, 2009 2:29 PM
Aug 23, 2009 2:32 PM

Aug 2008
Two things:

Isn't there a problem when the whole world that is the foundation of all of these games is a total mystery? This is apart of why I think this whole deal with Battler is a diversion of the bigger questions. Also, I do believe that the show was set in the 80s so that the limitations of modern technology can help create more of an atmosphere, so I'm not totally sure of what the Meta world could be besides magic, but since it's gone totally ignored, we can't really say anything.

The thing is, hasn't Battler outright said, "I don't believe in witches and magic."? And denying her existence in purgatorio? I distinctly remember a forum member pointing to screen caps of the dialouge as proof. It could be a translation error, so we'd need someone fluent in Japanese to be the verdict on that.
Aug 23, 2009 2:48 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
Two things:

Isn't there a problem when the whole world that is the foundation of all of these games is a total mystery? This is apart of why I think this whole deal with Battler is a diversion of the bigger questions. Also, I do believe that the show was set in the 80s so that the limitations of modern technology can help create more of an atmosphere, so I'm not totally sure of what the Meta world could be besides magic, but since it's gone totally ignored, we can't really say anything.

The thing is, hasn't Battler outright said, "I don't believe in witches and magic."? And denying her existence in purgatorio? I distinctly remember a forum member pointing to screen caps of the dialouge as proof. It could be a translation error, so we'd need someone fluent in Japanese to be the verdict on that.

The line is probably correct. The meaning of the line is misunderstood though. Go back to the talk between Shannon and George at the Aquarium. To those fish there, that fish tank is their world. Battler doesn't believe in witches and magic in his; His world being everything around him (meta excluded as already explained). His world isn't the entire world, just his. His town, his school, his family members, Rokkenjima makes up the entirety of his world. Battler is trying to prove that magic and witches aren't a part of his world.
Aug 23, 2009 2:52 PM

Jun 2007
It's never explained what Battler thinks of the meta-world but based off what he says during the EP1 tea party, it points towards he thinks of it as an after-life. There he acknowledged his and everybody's deaths but also acknowledged speaking with them again. If that's the case then believing in an after-life and magic are two separate things.
Aug 23, 2009 2:55 PM

Oct 2007
So Beatrice doesn't have everything under her control in Meta-world either. Everyone will have to play their own part and Beatrice will also has to play her own role too.

And this also make one thing clear, Magic is NOT perfect. And Beatrice is playing a dangerous game with Battler.

And so the game that Battler and Beatrice is playing is not really about Magic is existed or not but rather who can prove who is right.

Aug 23, 2009 2:59 PM
Aug 2009
One thing I found interesting about the first tea party in the VN was that meta-Battler specifically says at its beginning to the audience, "Hey everyone, thanks for finishing 'Umineko no Naku Koro ni!'" Like meta-Battler himself is aware that this is a realm that exists outside of the normal narrative of the story. They don't really question its existence; the meta-world itself seems to act more like a forum for the characters themselves- and by extension, the audience- to discuss aspects of the mystery that normally couldn't be discussed within the narrative structure. Hence also why Bernkastel appears to speak directly to the viewers in the hidden tea party, and not to meta-Battler himself.

At the same time though, there are moments where the meta-world appears to have an actual connection to the real world (which will be more apparent later on), so it really is still a mystery for now. It's not really the biggest pressing mystery of the series, but it is fairly significant to think about.

noteDhero said:

I feel like this would make more sense in the context of his statement that Beatrice is a half-existence that depends on people believing in her. Battler's POV is more from the position that he never believed in her at all when the murders themselves were happening (and it almost seems like the point of the murders was to make more people start believing in her), so therefore she shouldn't have been around to kill off everyone during that time, and therefore isn't the culprit that she claims he is.

Beatrice's manifestation in front of Battler is actually evidence that he's starting to accept her existence here, in the meta-world, but that says nothing about whether or not she actually existed in the real world, where piece Battler continues to reject her.
Aug 23, 2009 3:13 PM

Oct 2007
Base from what Jackfrost said, It seems like you can use magic to go against someone who doesn't believed in magic. Just one question, did they ever actually show Battler die in any of the four arc from VN?

Aug 23, 2009 3:16 PM

Aug 2008
That's an interesting way that it seems the meta world is presented in the VN, but it doesn't really matter if in the end, it still has some connection to the plot. I was quite prepared to think in a different way after hearing those first sentences.

The faulty part in that thought of course is that, for someone as "rational" as meta Battler, why does he think that it is ok to not believe in magic, but then to argue with someone he doesn't believe exists in the first place? I personally think that Beatrice's powers, not her entire existence, are dependent on people's belief in her. Kind of the same way that some people perform better when they are being cheered on. It's not that they were talentless, and when they get cheered for, they are talented, but that it's the "power of faith" at work.

As far as not accepting her existence in "his world" that speaks more to his obstinacy than anything else. I think Shannon had the right way of approaching Beatrice a couple of episodes ago: saying something to the effect of, "if believing in your powers makes me responsible for my own fate, then I don't believe in you anymore."
Aug 23, 2009 3:20 PM

Jun 2007
Siva said:
Base from what Jackfrost said, It seems like you can use magic to go against someone who doesn't believed in magic. Just one question, did they ever actually show Battler die in any of the four arc from VN?

Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.