Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2014 12:42 PM
Apr 2013
So i was wandering the internet recently and came across this Currently Airing anime, Pupa. I remembered when i was having a problem memorizing the name "Kyoukai no Kanata" and in fact i have the same problem with medium to long Japanese anime titles
So whenever the anime have a short name "Nana" for example or the name is more related to the English "one piece" ,i am ok, but the Japanese names don't sunk in easily
Do you have the same problem(if we can call it a problem), and what is the longest anime title you have memorized
Feb 22, 2014 12:48 PM

Aug 2012
I don't have that problem because I only use the R1 licensed title, which is typically in English.

"But what about unlicensed titles?"

I'm clean, bro. No more fansubs for me.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 22, 2014 12:51 PM

Oct 2013
isekai no seikishi monogatari, Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru, Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai, and so on. This is the only reason why the rating/watching system is so nice. I don't need to bother remembering names if I don't have to. I do anyways though.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Feb 22, 2014 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
The longest ones I can remember are Higurashi no naku koro ni, Kore wa zombie desu ka, baka to test to shoukanjuu..
Normally, light novel adaptations has those weird ass long names.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 22, 2014 12:52 PM

Jan 2010
It's hard to remember the longer names if you aren't proficient with Japanese. They just seem like a long string of characters than actual words. The longest I actually remember is Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, but that was only because I was seeing it discussed a lot back when it was airing.

But yeah, I'm not even touching stuff like Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru and Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita.
Feb 22, 2014 1:08 PM

Dec 2012
Yes, I can't remember Japanese titles to save my life, unless I type it a lot or know what they translate to and thus have something to mentally associate them with.

This site frequently annoys me by not translating some titles into English that clearly have official English titles. So every time I scroll through my list I encounter something like Mouso Dairinin and think "wait, what the f*** is that?" and have to make sure I didn't enter something by mistake, only to find out it's just Paranoia Agent.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 22, 2014 1:15 PM

Feb 2010
I have no problem remembering the names of newer series, but if they changed the entry after I watched it and I only knew the english title (like Paranoia Agent) I won't bother to learn the japanese name. If I search for Paranoia Agent, it'll still find the entry so who cares.

For long LN titles I either have no interest in them and don't bother remembering the name in the first place, or I just use the abbreviation like most other people.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2014 1:56 PM

Sep 2013
I don't have too much of a problem with anime titles, since I never go too obscure and I usually refer to them by their English names, but I remember browsing Natsuki Takaya's (author of Fruits Basket) works and I could never remember Boku ga Utau to Kimi wa Warau kara, "Songs to Make You Smile".
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Feb 22, 2014 1:57 PM
Mar 2011
gamer2710 said:
I don't have that problem because I only use the R1 licensed title, which is typically in English.

you miss out on so much anime then
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 22, 2014 1:58 PM

Jun 2012
I've never had a problem recognizing titles, unless they're the ones that are abbreviated for us like Oniai or Noucome.
Feb 22, 2014 1:59 PM
Mar 2011
side note longer titles even by Native Fans are abravetaed
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 22, 2014 2:01 PM

Sep 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:

Hell, Fullmetal Alchemist is called "Hagaren" by its fan base.
Feb 22, 2014 2:03 PM
Mar 2011
UnderTheBridge said:
NoSurrender1690 said:

Hell, Fullmetal Alchemist is called "Hagaren" by its fan base.

thats one i never knew my self

Feb 22, 2014 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
gamer2710 said:

Lol. I kicked that habit years ago too.
Feb 22, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2013
- Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
- Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
- Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.
- etc

Welcome to the list of needlessly long anime titles ;)
But no I don't have any problems remembering those titles.
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Feb 22, 2014 3:42 PM

Jan 2014
Tyrantarmy6 said:
- etc

If you really typed all those names out from memory without copy pasting I'm impressed.

I myself have given up on remembering these types of titles for a long time. I only use the abbreviations now (Oreimo, OniAi, AnoHana...). It's weird how the japanese just come up with a 'random' sentence and decide to make that the title of the show, rather than making a simple and short one that's easier to remember...
Feb 22, 2014 3:56 PM

Feb 2013
Yhuuro said:
Tyrantarmy6 said:
- etc

If you really typed all those names out from memory without copy pasting I'm impressed.

I myself have given up on remembering these types of titles for a long time. I only use the abbreviations now (Oreimo, OniAi, AnoHana...). It's weird how the japanese just come up with a 'random' sentence and decide to make that the title of the show, rather than making a simple and short one that's easier to remember...

"There's no guarantee that someone will take the time to read the plot description of a book, so if the title is long and has its own descriptive meaning, it serves that purpose."
http://kotaku.com/5907247/japanese-manga-and-anime-titles-are-too-damn-long-heres-why

its not the show, its the light novel whose name is long
Feb 22, 2014 4:00 PM

Dec 2013
Sometime it's a problem, but it can be funny too how i remember these long titles...
Feb 22, 2014 4:21 PM

Jan 2014
romagia said:
Yhuuro said:
Tyrantarmy6 said:
- etc

"There's no guarantee that someone will take the time to read the plot description of a book, so if the title is long and has its own descriptive meaning, it serves that purpose."
http://kotaku.com/5907247/japanese-manga-and-anime-titles-are-too-damn-long-heres-why

its not the show, its the light novel whose name is long

Hmm ok. After reading the article I think I get it now. It's pretty ingenious to use the title as a substitute for a long novel description. However, it's still kinda sad at the same time, that authors have to take this into consideration to cater towards an audience that can't bring up the patience to read a 'normal' book description. authors from other countries don't need to take these things into account when thinking up a title of their book. The fact that Japan is an exception to this rule still feels odd. Perhaps it has something to do with Japanese culture or something Japanese readers have gotten accustomed to (to only be drawn towards novels with longer titles I mean).
Feb 22, 2014 4:23 PM

Jan 2013
Fuck mals dumb weeaboo title system to be honest.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Feb 22, 2014 7:52 PM

Aug 2012
MajinSaga said:
Fuck mals dumb weeaboo title system to be honest.
Agreed, it makes no sense why MAL is the only site that doesn't have a built-in option for switching the language for anime titles, yet insists on using gibberish for series that have officially licensed titles in the language primarily used on this site: English.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 22, 2014 8:42 PM

Apr 2012
I don't really need to remember the full title, so it doesn't really bother me much. Just memorizing the abbreviation is enough and if I see the full title I'll recognize it.
Feb 22, 2014 8:46 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not the only one that read "anime tities" right?

On Topic.....yeah, it annoys me sometimes.

I think it would just be easier to put it in English.
Feb 22, 2014 9:01 PM

Sep 2013
English names Ill memorize immediately but Japanese names I can get by my 2nd or 3rd viewing of the name. Hmm I should memorize the Japanese title of "I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job." Thatll be fun/hard.
Feb 22, 2014 9:05 PM

Dec 2012
The only ones that bug me are the really long names because I always end up butchering the pronunciation. Examples being:

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.

Luckily there are short forms.
Feb 22, 2014 10:24 PM

Sep 2013
JustALEX said:
I'm not the only one that read "anime tities" right?

Your dirty mind disgusts me.
Feb 22, 2014 10:30 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
what ever i heard first or whichever is more popular is what I use lol. I have no problem with longer names such as Ore no Imoutoblah blah blah... OreImo. Ta-dah.
like magic.
Other anime I switch on and off, like Attack on Titans or Shingeki no Kyojin. I use both.
I don't short hand medium names... like Kyoukai no Kanata.. I know people call it KnK but is it really that hard to remember? lol.
Supercalifragilisticespialidocious? as long as the Japanese name isn't as long as that, I have no problem remembering it.
Feb 22, 2014 10:42 PM
Dec 2013
only anime title i know off by heart is Yahari No sdpfekf.....the one with Hachiman Hichigaya in it

I once asked a friend "Which is better? Shinji no Kyojin or Attack on Titan because i heard they were both really good animes"
Feb 22, 2014 11:48 PM

Nov 2008
I use abbreviations since it's faster to type it in chat. And then I forget the original title.
Feb 22, 2014 11:52 PM

Aug 2009
I do have trouble remembering the Japanese titles to the hentai I've watched.

Feb 23, 2014 1:04 AM

Feb 2013
Yhuuro said:
Hmm ok. After reading the article I think I get it now. It's pretty ingenious to use the title as a substitute for a long novel description. However, it's still kinda sad at the same time, that authors have to take this into consideration to cater towards an audience that can't bring up the patience to read a 'normal' book description. authors from other countries don't need to take these things into account when thinking up a title of their book. The fact that Japan is an exception to this rule still feels odd. Perhaps it has something to do with Japanese culture or something Japanese readers have gotten accustomed to (to only be drawn towards novels with longer titles I mean).

Japan China and Korea are unique, as they are some of the few countries that haven't been colonized, so, unlike pretty much every other country, their modern culture is not based on the european colonists' culture
Feb 23, 2014 1:10 AM

Nov 2007
I have no such problem since I remember anime through their abbreviations, since Japanese fans usually refer to them that way. Even on Twitter, the hashtags are usually the anime abbreviations.

On the flipside of things, it can be difficult to interact with some Western fans. Some refer to anime with their English names/licensed names, where some names are not direct translations or even loose translations.

One example is:
Asobi ni Iku yo! = Cat Planet Cuties?

That had me scratching my head before...
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

21 by bucciest »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

40 by traed »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

131 by APolygons2 »»
20 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

1 by Serafos »»
34 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

33 by AverageRiceFan »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.