Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Oct 19, 2012 3:00 PM

Jun 2012
ssjokg said:
Mixxu said:
So Rika is in adult form and knows Beatrice and Beatrice knows Rika as some kind of powerful Witch named Bernkastel.

Oh know I was so sure this is not going to start from beginning but I guess it's going to go that way. My question is now that did Bernkastel made that alternative future where everyone was okay too. And because Battler couldn't solve the mystery in time she reset everything and now he going to solve it again. I don't know this is just crazy.

But that's why I love this show let's hear once more or who knows how many times Battler's theories again. Now if this going to be similar pacing like Higurashi let's see how long this is going to continue.

No dont try to solve this like it is Higurashi.Forget everything about Higurashi. Bernkastel isnt Rika.

ah dont just say berkanstel isn't rika.....she is but she isn't.....
Oct 19, 2012 3:06 PM

Aug 2009
_retro_reactive said:
ssjokg said:
Mixxu said:
So Rika is in adult form and knows Beatrice and Beatrice knows Rika as some kind of powerful Witch named Bernkastel.

Oh know I was so sure this is not going to start from beginning but I guess it's going to go that way. My question is now that did Bernkastel made that alternative future where everyone was okay too. And because Battler couldn't solve the mystery in time she reset everything and now he going to solve it again. I don't know this is just crazy.

But that's why I love this show let's hear once more or who knows how many times Battler's theories again. Now if this going to be similar pacing like Higurashi let's see how long this is going to continue.

No dont try to solve this like it is Higurashi.Forget everything about Higurashi. Bernkastel isnt Rika.

ah dont just say berkanstel isn't rika.....she is but she isn't.....

Regardless of how she was born,she isnt Rika.
Mar 18, 2013 8:01 PM
Aug 2012
rika?
Apr 19, 2013 7:16 AM

Mar 2013
Im so mindfucked right now, but everyone has played the VN , so all posts contain spoilers :@
Apr 19, 2013 7:18 AM

Mar 2013
ssjokg said:

Regardless of how she was born,she isnt Rika.

SPOILER MUCH ?
Jul 26, 2013 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
Oh, Battler, you're awesome.

Rykyr said:
Im so mindfucked right now, but everyone has played the VN , so all posts contain spoilers :@

I understand how you feel...
Oct 16, 2013 6:01 AM

Aug 2013
Just what is going on??
But oh my, this anime is awesome!
Dec 20, 2013 11:29 PM

Apr 2013
Was that Rika from Higurashi? Well I don't think it was actually her but that similarity....wow. I like this anime a lot. Mysteries are one of my gerne.
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Jan 25, 2014 3:36 AM
Jul 2018
You don't know how much i love the BGM that used at Bern's appearance on this ep. Great episode, overall.
Apr 20, 2014 10:01 PM

Jun 2009
Honestly, I didn't love this episode as much as everybody else. I get why the VN people like it, they get it,but I don't understand how the others can say it was a good episode. I mean, I didn't understand a thing of this.
The only part that was priceless was Bernkastel, I was a total fangirl when she was talking. So by what she said I'm guessing Battler will be able to do it all over again until he can solve the mystery? Was that her power or Rika's? I don't know anything anymore...
Oct 29, 2014 6:27 PM

May 2014
It cant be..rika?
Nov 28, 2014 6:02 AM
Dec 2011
holly god RIKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........... THIS IS GETTING INTERESTING NO NO EPIC :3
Jan 19, 2015 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
Mixxu said:

OMG total bullshit.
Even if it is THAT Bern, just remember, in Higurashi Bern existence is created from all pain which Rika desired. So Bern =/= Rika at all even in Higurashi! If you people don't understand even that simply basis, don't even try to watch rest of this show.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 25, 2015 10:20 PM

Nov 2014
I am confused on what's going on, I guess just have to see how it will go.

Aug 19, 2015 3:36 PM

Feb 2015
Battler is starting to piss me off. Damned idiot won't believe witches exist even if they murder his friends right in front of him or transform into frigging golden butterflies.

Nice to see you too, Rik-- Bernka.
Oct 30, 2015 12:29 PM

Nov 2013
They killed Natsuhi -_-.(I knew it was gonna happen anyways.)
Maria's retardness evel is OVER 90000!
Dec 20, 2015 9:45 PM
Jul 2014
Ooo, Beatrice! LOL, Maria was so fucking cute when she answered the question about who killed the servants... :)
LOL, and she keeps on Ooo-ing, hahaha... Horie Yui is simply the best for the role! First 5 episodes/first story were really good, I liked it! 8/10!
Feb 5, 2017 9:45 AM

Feb 2016
The fuck just happened???
The mystery was just getting good and now everything got reset? WHAT
Feb 7, 2017 8:16 AM
Apr 2015
Aquamirror said:

Saw your post and wanted to help a bit seeing as you seem to not have seen any of the When They Cry franchise ie. Higurashi

The When The Cry (WTC) franchise is quite well known for their repeating timelines as you see here in Umineko. The author of this franchise Ryuukishi07, is quite well known for his repeating timelines as you have seen here. He uses these repeating timelines to tell a mystery story by creating different stories seen through different characters viewpoints to create in all honesty a great story. While there is a mystery of every timeline there is also an overarching mystery that the viewer is trying to solve, which each arc gives small hints of how to solve it.

This goes into one of the most defining features of the WTC franchise Question and Answer arcs. Because if how he lays out his arcs, we never really get true answers shown to us until you get to the answer arcs (you are currently in the question arcs).

Also thr second half of this episode is what is known as the tea party. There is one of them at the end of every arc to recap what has happened to help you figure out what is important and what is not for that particular arc.

Hope that helps in the slighest
Feb 7, 2017 8:22 AM

Feb 2016
Hovlane said:
Aquamirror said:

Saw your post and wanted to help a bit seeing as you seem to not have seen any of the When They Cry franchise ie. Higurashi

The When The Cry (WTC) franchise is quite well known for their repeating timelines as you see here in Umineko. The author of this franchise Ryuukishi07, is quite well known for his repeating timelines as you have seen here. He uses these repeating timelines to tell a mystery story by creating different stories seen through different characters viewpoints to create in all honesty a great story. While there is a mystery of every timeline there is also an overarching mystery that the viewer is trying to solve, which each arc gives small hints of how to solve it.

This goes into one of the most defining features of the WTC franchise Question and Answer arcs. Because if how he lays out his arcs, we never really get true answers shown to us until you get to the answer arcs (you are currently in the question arcs).

Also thr second half of this episode is what is known as the tea party. There is one of them at the end of every arc to recap what has happened to help you figure out what is important and what is not for that particular arc.

Thanks, I actually thought about that in the end of ep 7 because some things were familiar. Well, I will see how this plays out, so far not a big fan of that structure, but as you explained it now, it indeed sounds more interesting.

I see you know more about the franchise, could you answer these questions:
Is Umineko adaptation really that bad? What episode starts to divert or miss the most out of the story?
Was it mistake to watch this before Higurashi? Is Higurashi adaptation good?
Feb 7, 2017 8:34 AM
Apr 2015
Aquamirror said:
Hovlane said:

Thanks, I actually thought about that in the end of ep 7 because some things were familiar. Well, I will see how this plays out, so far not a big fan of that structure, but as you explained it now, it indeed sounds more interesting.

I see you know more about the franchise, could you answer these questions:
Is Umineko adaptation really that bad? What episode starts to divert or miss the most out of the story?
Was it mistake to watch this before Higurashi? Is Higurashi adaptation good?

I have no idea about the Umineko anime as of yet, the only reason why I saw your post is because I decided to start watching it after I read the manga and am personally trying to form my own opinion on how the series is.

As for where it starts to divert, I know for a fact that the anine only adapts to the end of the question arcs, so if you want the answer arcs you are going to have to read the manga or the visual novel for it, starting with the 5th manga/visual novel chapter titled Umineko No Naku Koro ni episode 5.

While normally people do watch/read Higurashi first before moving onto Umineko, it is not required to see it first, though there are some minor spoilers in the series if you pay close attention to them, though it is mostly cameos and such.

As for the Higurashi adaption, Higurashi is by far my absolute favorite anime out there, while I do see some of the problems many people have with it, such as the art, I can personally overlook it and highly enjoy the series. I read the manga afterwards and only judging based on that it is a pretty good adaption of the series. They had to drop a few character traits of the main cast but nothing that I think was too revolutionary from it
HovlaneFeb 7, 2017 8:45 AM
Feb 7, 2017 9:26 AM

Feb 2016
Hovlane said:

As for where it starts to divert, I know for a fact that the anine only adapts to the end of the question arcs, so if you want the answer arcs you are going to have to read the manga or the visual novel for it, starting with the 5th manga/visual novel chapter titled Umineko No Naku Koro ni episode 5.

Ah, I see, thanks. Well, that kinda sucks, but I guess I will read the manga after that. I wanted to buy it on Steam, but I saw it was only the Question Arc, which now I understand what it means...
Maybe that first comment sounded too harshly, it certainly caught me off guard, but I have more hope now. XD

Hovlane said:
While normally people do watch/read Higurashi first before moving onto Umineko, it is not required to see it first, though there are some minor spoilers in the series if you pay close attention to them, though it is mostly cameos and such.

Alright, that doesn't sound like a big deal. I will watch it sometime in the future then, looks promising and I don't care about the art at all. :p
Feb 7, 2017 9:31 AM
Apr 2015
Aquamirror said:
Hovlane said:

Ah, I see, thanks. Well, that kinda sucks, but I guess I will read the manga after that. I wanted to buy it on Steam, but I saw it was only the Question Arc, which now I understand what it means...
Maybe that first comment sounded too harshly, it certainly caught me off guard, but I have more hope now. XD

Hovlane said:

Alright, that doesn't sound like a big deal then. I will watch it sometime in the future, looks promising and I don't care about the art at all. :p

Yeah unfortunantly the remade version of the answer arcs for the vn's are not out yet. I saw that one of your favorite anime is Shinsekai Yori, from my experiance Higurashi has an extremly simmilar setting to Shinsekai Yori, so I think you would really like it.
Jan 29, 2019 9:28 AM

Jul 2014
Battler attempts to destroy Beatrice with FACTS and LOGIC
Apr 8, 2020 10:14 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I was expecting different arcs and timelines like Higurashi but it's good to note that this will be something different fundamentally.

Finally, Berkanstel makes an appearance! And so does Beatrice. Not exactly sure how this Witches system work but I'll just interpret it as Berkanstel v Beatrice (since the third is apparently defeated or such) where Berkanstel will probably be lending a few resources to the family crew to battle the likes of Beatrice.

Main Character using logic and facts to battle the Witch sounds like an interesting idea but the execution of it will be paramount so here's to hoping that'll deliver.

Got to say, some of Maria's bits are freakin' scary. And amazing performance Horie Yui-san of course!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 10, 2020 2:47 AM

Apr 2015
Okay so I'm really enjoying this anime so far and seeing Rika in this episode was just the best part!
We saw Bernkastel in Higurashi too I think, and this just proves that Bernkastel is actually Rika , (Culmination of her Hinamizawa torment or something like that). Also
Frederica (Furude Rika), This was probably intentional.
Dec 3, 2020 9:12 PM

Aug 2018
I don’t know snow about you, but I’m willing to accept The Golden Witch is the culprit.
Mar 3, 2021 4:31 PM
Mar 2017
So probably Rika's and Hanyuu's loop had something to do with Bernkastel huh? Let's see what else this anime has to deliver of important to the lore
Mar 8, 2021 6:40 AM

Jan 2019
gugfsb said:
So probably Rika's and Hanyuu's loop had something to do with Bernkastel huh? Let's see what else this anime has to deliver of important to the lore

If you truly want to find out more about this you should read the manga or play the VN with the PS3 patch. The anime is a lame abomination that skips LOTS of information, background, dialogue and overall butchers the characters.
This is an unique experience that DOESN'T need to be butchered with this anomaly of an anime that doesn't even exist. As I said focus on the manga/VN if u really want to experience this or make some connections with Higurashi.
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Jul 4, 2021 2:49 PM
May 2018
how come they arent questioning why they are alive in this episoide? and how are they magicallly alive, if theyre alive obviously the witch can be real
Sep 17, 2021 8:24 AM
Sep 2021
What can I say , Ryoukechi 07 is a genius writer , this Episode is One of my favourite ❤️ , Battler's Evolution is Top top top , and Beatrese Is Something Else
Jun 23, 2022 8:20 PM
May 2022
The way how Higurashi worked in arcs totally went over my head, so I was only reminded of it now that the first arc has ended. I'm actually a bit confused about everything since I haven't read or played any of the VNs and games, but that's the thing with Higurashi and Umineko, you will only understand everything when you watch all arcs since they supplement each other with more details and other versions of the story. Oh, and Rika is here!
AegunAzilothJun 23, 2022 8:24 PM
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.