Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 1, 2014 1:02 AM

Jul 2008
This family is full of twisted delusional psychopaths led by the meanest grandma ever.

Jeez I don't want to live in this town.
Jan 6, 2014 1:50 PM

Nov 2013
Outch that looked painfull, I felt so bad for Shion (and she's one of my fav character that make it worse)
Jan 18, 2014 9:39 PM

Aug 2013
Oh god, I had to put my hand on my mouth and hold my breath during the fingernail torture scene. The scene was in my opinion one of the best of the whole anime because it perfectly captured the essence of it. It showed exactly two of the most important thing in that anime : the feeling of despair and impotence, and the stressful anticipation. We all knew that she would get her nail ripped off, but for some reason, we were maybe hoping that at the last second, they say that it's a joke or whatever. We all knew that it was going to happen but some of us might have denied it. That's one of the greatest thing in that anime, those horrible anticipation, the fact that the protagonist seem so powerless to their destiny. That anime is really fucked up. That's why I like it :P

I wonder what happened to Satoshi. I'm sure he came back later in the third arc and that it was him at the festival. He must dyed his hair.

The Sonozaki familly... I hope Shion go crazy and kill them all. I hate them, a bunch of freak circus psycho. Even Mion, who helped her during all this time, became so fucking cold during the reunion, probably just covering her ass.

Also, there is a thought that passed during the episode that is not related to this arc. During the second, the third and the fourth arc, Rika died shortly after the festival. In the second, it was due to Mion and the third and fourth arc, it was due to a mysterious killer. But in the first arc, we never heard about Rika dead and a lot of time had passed between the festival and the moment Keiichi killed Rena and Mion.

There is also something that I thought about the Sakoto uncle weird resurrection. Rika talked about ''pre-programmed'' death that are inevitable. What if Sakoto uncle was not programmed and because of that, he didn't die?

Finally... I don't know why the fuck I watched this before going to sleep :P
minouneetzoeJan 19, 2014 12:22 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 8, 2014 5:00 AM

Jan 2009
what kind of sick people come up with a fingernail-removing device...
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 23, 2014 6:41 AM

Sep 2013
billybob300c said:
what kind of sick people come up with a fingernail-removing device...
Can't be any worse than coming up with the brazen bull.
Apr 19, 2014 11:12 PM

Jun 2011
I don't like the characters here. Cringed at the fingernail removal scene.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 23, 2014 4:53 PM
Feb 2013
My words towards the fingernail scene.

"OOOOHHHHHH GOOOOOD, NO NO DON'T DO THAT, ANYTHING BUT THAT, OH GOD, AAAAAAAAA."

Man, I don't think I ever cringed as much as I did in that episode.
Apr 26, 2014 3:46 AM

Apr 2013
Cringed a lot during that scene. And my hope, that deep down Mion isn't a total psycho-bitch was crushed again.
May 1, 2014 7:47 PM
Jun 2013
My freaking eyes were watering. Man, this anime is sadistic.
May 4, 2014 8:31 AM

Jan 2014
Fingernail scene...OMG
Jul 27, 2014 6:58 AM

May 2014
Oh my god.... That fingernail scene had me cringing the whole time. It's not that the animation looked scary, but the voice actor for Shion(Satsuki Yukino) really brought out the pain in her voice, like she really was being tortured. Also, last episode, Shion was the bitch, now Mion and the granny are the bitches.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Aug 28, 2014 2:32 AM
Dec 2011
its finally showed that poor satoshi did it out of desperation.. i love SATOSHI he was a great guy....they punished SHION for defending and being too close to SATOSHI ... i always hated MION from the very beginning and MY CHOICE was correct and the whole family is just so weird they watch SHION being punished like they are watching TV.

SO after shion is punished she get message from that sadist sonozakis "forget about satoshi" then he went missing!!! that family kills people who sins and betray them, satoshis sin was "killing his aunt" she was already this families list to kill this is proven by RIKA telling "your torture will disappear" to satoko!

so this is how the sonozaki leader bitch thinks if anybody interfere with her plans ( or her death list) do her killing before she order her men to do it,they are sinners( satoshi killing his aunt before sonozakis punished her with death) if her family does it it is gods wrath or that stupid cures! ITS PURE DICTATORSHIP happening here! its her way or no way! :3

satoshi is killed by sonozakis because 1- satoshi killed a person.
2- satoshi interfered with sonozaki families work.
i feel for shion the first love she had and it was so painful for her both physically and mentally to handle,she was so sad she couldn't even cry. i cried for her so much she did the punishment for SATOSHI but that wasn't enough i emptiness she felt at the end of the episode really touched my heart and soul :3
Sep 23, 2014 11:24 PM

Aug 2013
What is wrong with Rika hair? Why green?
And I always knew that Mion is evil.
rsc-plSep 23, 2014 11:39 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 2, 2014 1:36 AM

Nov 2013
This was one of my favorite episodes for sure. I'm now think I understand who's Mion and who's Shion.

Mion looked so fucking evil when she was torturing Shion.

Shion is best yandere.

That torture scene...holy shit...One of the most intense scenes in this show for sure. Only loses to the scene where Keiichi murders Satoko's uncle with a baseball bat.

Nov 2, 2014 1:39 AM

Nov 2013
HydraA said:
THIS was the infamous nail-ripping scene? You´re shitting me right? =/
Looked pretty brutal to me. Doesn't compare to Elfen Lied's infamous puppy murder scene though.

Nov 9, 2014 5:16 PM

Dec 2012
Going by the opening to this arc, I REALLY hope we see Mion get tortured by Shion at some point. Seriously can't stand her, or the rest of her family for that matter.
Dec 24, 2014 6:17 AM

Oct 2014
Holy Shit the fingernail scene...

I couldn't watch it. I muted the sound and closed my eyes with my hands
Dec 27, 2014 5:39 PM

Mar 2014
Okay I think that's enough Higurashi for one day...

That nail scene was painful just watching it.
Zanos1Dec 27, 2014 5:46 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Dec 29, 2014 11:48 PM

Dec 2014
Hiro-san said:

Ok, I think Satoshi really did kill his aunt and the Sonozaki family captured him, tortured him, and then disposed of his body (remember the beginining of the 3rd story arc?). Then to hide this and make the village think Satoshi was demoned away as part of the curse, they made the police think that a random druggie or whatever killed the aunt.

Also, I am thinking now that all the killings related to Oyashiro's curse are actually done by the Sonozaki's family, either from their free will and they are using the villagers' belief in Oyashiro's curse as a cover story, or Oyashiro is actually possessing the family members.
+1 NAIL SCENE NOT SCARY find another fcking word. For example: gross, cringe-worthy, disturbing, gruesome etc scary makes you jump or sleep with a night light. Nails being ripped off does NEITHER. STOP IT.
LV_DawnDec 30, 2014 12:46 AM
Please add something new to the Thread. If you are just going to agree with everyone else, and not add anything significant, Please do NOT re-post/re-word/repeat what someone else has said. I hate reading 9pgs of parrots and copycats. #BEORIGINAL
Feb 1, 2015 6:46 AM

Jan 2014
shit that was really hard to watch ><

do you think mion felt bad and it was just an act? bc at first i thought she'd fully accepted her role as the next head and was being super mean and strict like her grandma, but then when shion started freaking out and gave up she started shaking her and told her she was almost done... but then she got the other guys to blind her and do it for so idek lol
Feb 21, 2015 1:01 PM

Mar 2013
I feel so bad for Satoko. Now I feel bad for Shion too. :(

They're the only two characters who I feel are not batshit insane monsters.

The worst part is that even they seem to be only a hair's breadth from losing it. :(
Mar 22, 2015 8:55 AM
Nov 2014
Oh lol.... dem goosebumps in that fingernail torture scene.

Poor Shion :(
Apr 2, 2015 5:03 PM

Nov 2011
My fingernail on my leg tore off a few months ago (not purposely of course), and it hurt like hell, seeing it again here made me feel the pain all over again.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 23, 2015 1:48 AM

Feb 2013
Wait, didn't Mion tell Keiishi in the 3rd arc that she was the one who had talked to Satoshi about taking Satoko to the festival? Yet we just saw that scene and it was actually Shion who was talking to him. I wonder if Shion ends up killing Mion and taking her place in this timeline...

Also the fingernail scene wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, this show does have a fair bit of censorship. Still felt really bad for Shion though, that's a horrible way to torture someone. :<.
May 17, 2015 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
minouneetzoe said:
Oh god, I had to put my hand on my mouth and hold my breath during the fingernail torture scene. The scene was in my opinion one of the best of the whole anime because it perfectly captured the essence of it. It showed exactly two of the most important thing in that anime : the feeling of despair and impotence, and the stressful anticipation. We all knew that she would get her nail ripped off, but for some reason, we were maybe hoping that at the last second, they say that it's a joke or whatever. We all knew that it was going to happen but some of us might have denied it. That's one of the greatest thing in that anime, those horrible anticipation, the fact that the protagonist seem so powerless to their destiny. That anime is really fucked up. That's why I like it :P

^Real talk.

Well, damn. The Sonozaki's are definitely a monstrous form of crime syndicate. They definitely seem to be orchestrating something in the background. But what?

Personally, I had to cover my mouth and squirm when Shion's fingernails were being ripped off. But I didn't find it gruesome enough to go vomit or mute the volume (not calling out those who did). It just shows how ruthless these Sonozaki's can be. Especially Mion. She climbed the ropes real fast, as far as the leadership is concerned...Savage af.

Satoshi...I can't say much since this is still a damn mystery. There's no concrete anything that could tell us exactly what happened. That's why you need to fly by these episodes to find out. I don't even try to figure it all out, lol.
Jul 29, 2015 6:44 PM
Jul 2015
Alright, I have no idea what's going on. There's just tiny inconsistencies everywhere, and I'm just going crazy trying to figure it out. I heard that this is all explained really thoroughly in the answer arcs though, so I really hope to get to those soon.
Aug 4, 2015 12:17 PM

Oct 2014
That was the so hyped up fingernail scene? Maybe it's weird, but I was expecting way more gruesome than that. Seeing the contraption and Shion sticking her fingers in/screaming about how it hurt was definitely disturbing/tense, but it didn't make me cringe or need to close my eyes or feel especially revolted or anything like that. Probably because it got so hyped up on here and on reddit.

Regardless, poor Shion. I hope the find Satoshi in this arc. And I really don't like the Grandma.
jdimaria3Aug 4, 2015 12:22 PM
Aug 16, 2015 6:54 AM

Feb 2015
Damn, the fingernail scene was hard to watch.
Oct 12, 2015 10:30 AM

May 2015
So far I have not been scared or freaked/grossed out from any of the gore, but this episode definitely did it. I almost wanted to close my eyes. I even feel a tad nauseous now. I totally would have done the same thing, but that pain would just be unimaginable.

As for the curse, based on Rika's comment of it having been "decided", then I have two possible explanations: the deaths are caused by members of the Sonozaki family and their allies, and Satoshi happened to do in his aunt (who was the target for that year). OR the curse made it so specific things would happen. As in, the curse made it so that Satoshi would kill his aunt. Some people are saying there's nothing supernatural going on, but based on what I've seen, I'm having a hard time believing that.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Nov 5, 2015 2:27 AM

Oct 2014
You know what's worse than this fingernail removal torture? It's peeling off the extra skin near our fingernails down to the bottom of our fingers, that would be a slow and painful torture.

So Satoshi also "failed" in killing e? I get the feeling that the aunt and uncle are actually killed by Satoshi and Keiichi but maybe someone recovers the corpse and hides it so that the curse is "remade". Oh well, still got a long ways to go.
"Having someone saying you're okay as you are and being needed by that person... It was nice to have someone like that..." — Taiga Aisaka
Nov 7, 2015 11:13 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
"Do you know what is it, Shion?" this scene was really good. They captured her desperation well. Also, the voice actor did an exceptionally good job there.
Nov 24, 2015 1:02 PM

Nov 2011
Oh dear that was painful to watch. :<
Jul 30, 2016 2:05 PM

May 2011
I remember this as the "Nail-tearing arc", basically.
Sep 2, 2016 2:31 PM
Nov 2010
Barnald said:
"Do you know what is it, Shion?" this scene was really good. They captured her desperation well. Also, the voice actor did an exceptionally good job there.

It's worth reiterating that it's the same actress doing both Mion and Shion... Truly great performances.
Oct 20, 2016 4:52 PM
Mar 2016
I've crushed my nail, twice (the second was in the car door and my mom locked the door on me and didn't realize it until I was screaming for her to unlock the door), and it hurts badly. That scene just was cringeworthy as fuck and I died internally.
Oct 21, 2016 10:31 AM

Aug 2016
Screw that cop, he knows the torture but did nothing!!! i hope that cop died a horrible death

I feel really bad for Shion and Satoko tho.....
Dec 30, 2016 1:40 AM

Sep 2016
fuckkkk man did they really make by baby do that shit? this is insane man shion doesnt deserve this at all she is too caring her commitment is what i need in a woman she goes leaps and bounds to protect someone she loves, i admire her character i wish i could take her and we go someplace far away on a honeymoon endless affection
Facta Non Verba
Feb 24, 2017 3:43 PM

Jun 2016
.... I don't feel so good

"The sun is my enemy, but the moon has been good to me."
Sep 7, 2017 6:40 AM

May 2015
Poor Shion. :((((
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 18, 2018 9:04 PM

Jul 2016
I skipped over the nail scenes. Too much holy crap.
Apr 7, 2018 12:22 PM

Aug 2014
Man, Fuck Mion. She is a bitch. Not only to Shion but to Keichii, too
Apr 8, 2018 1:40 AM

Sep 2017
Poor Shion. I was sad when she had to undergo torture. The granny is the worst. And Mion was playing quite the dual role.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jul 28, 2019 3:41 AM
Apr 2016
Oh my, that was painful, rest in peace, fingernails. A lot of puzzle pieces connected this episode. Now, what exactly happened with Satoshi I wonder.
Nov 19, 2019 2:27 AM

Feb 2019
ughh that was painful to watch, shion was 100% reasonable with the things she said to them but these people are crazy
Jan 13, 2020 12:45 PM

Sep 2018
Had me squeaming the finger nail scene
Mar 17, 2020 5:38 AM

Dec 2013
Oh my god. That was really painful. I can't imagine myself in Shion's position. Sonozaki family is really scary, huh

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Apr 24, 2020 12:45 AM

Feb 2018
Sonozaki's family are cruel.... this is so creepy.
May 13, 2020 9:55 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
rsc-pl said:
What is wrong with Rika hair? Why green?

Ditto. Is there a reason why Rika's hair was the wrong color this episode or was it just some weird mistake on the part of the animation studio?
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
May 17, 2020 3:03 PM
Oct 2019
Mion is evil.

Shion was wrong last episode, but appears to be generally good and honest overall. The Sonozakis are stupid; the granny and Mion. Want to see them DIE.

Seems like the Sonozaki family locked Satoshi up in their dungeon and/or threw him in the well?
May 25, 2020 1:35 PM

May 2018
haha fingernails go clip
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tekky99 - Mar 14, 2008

268 by walgreenscanada »»
Apr 13, 9:49 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

171 by Extremo888 »»
Mar 27, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 17, 2008

210 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

mitsukuni07 - Feb 16, 2008

142 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Mar 21, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Dec 28, 2007

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Feb 4, 12:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.