Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 22, 2020 4:39 PM

Mar 2016
Not completely satisfied with the ending of the anime, i mean I really wanted to see what kind of kingdom Youko was able to build and how, but I'm kinda ok with what I got.
This series is something you cannot find in now days, I'm glad I could pick it up to enjoy all of it, and if there's ever a reboot, I'm totally down for that.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

May 17, 2020 6:51 AM

Jul 2009
What a great series! I am glad I was able to see it even so many years after the release, it was worth my time!
Too bad the last episodes were about En, I was looking forward to see more of Youko as queen and the last episode was a flashback with few new things, so it was a shame, but stills a good series.
I was expecting a conclusion to Taiki's arc, like he coming back or deciding to let go of the past forever...
8/10
May 17, 2020 6:54 AM

Jul 2009
Biraru said:
If anyone is interested to know what happens to Taiki in the novels:

Thank you! Can you tell me a bit of Youko as a queen? She was able to do a good job?
Jun 30, 2020 11:29 PM

Jul 2016
Arc 1: 8/10
Arc 2: 7/10
Arc 3: 8/10
Arc 4: 6/10

NOW THIS. This is what an isekai should be.

I'll give it an 8/10, because even though the anime didn't have the best start and the arcs that were just flashbacks weren't as good, I still enjoyed this show but it needs a second season.

This is what modern-day isekai could potentially be, but too many studios that make isekai are too focused on RPG-ness and fanservice. This show is imperfect, but is the best isekai I've yet to watch.
MoonPhosJun 30, 2020 11:35 PM
Dec 3, 2020 1:19 PM
Feb 2020
I watched the last episode to get this series off my currently watching.

Wish I hadn't.

They could have just added a few lines of text at the end of the credits in ep 44 like this:

(Shortly after the events of this series, Rakushin was invited to *forgot the name of her kingdom* to be an adviser in her court *so she never went Full Retard ever again* ... oh and Sugimoto died in a fire. The End)

Or they could have just ended the series at ep 39 and released the last arc as an OVA.
Feb 14, 2021 7:13 PM

Feb 2014
Lame, no wonder it got cancelled, lost all my insterest after Yuka went back to Japan.
Mar 1, 2021 4:58 AM

Aug 2019
Whenever I finish a show, it feels as if a part of me has died.
Farewell The Twelve Kingdoms, you were filled with wisdom.
Jun 17, 2021 12:14 PM

Jun 2019
My 73rd completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jul 6, 2021 9:20 AM
Feb 2016
The fact that this was a recap makes me think they originally planned to make more episodes/arcs. Maybe the show wasn't successful enough to continue it…
A shame.
Aug 30, 2021 8:51 AM

Nov 2016
Can only agree with majority. This doesn't feel satisfying after episode 39. The last arc was still good, tho.

A great series overall. The plot and characters were so engaging. Imo right from the very start and not just after the first cour. A shame that this will never have a proper conclusion :(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 2, 2022 9:10 AM
Nov 2020
wow this anime is more than amazing, so beautiful setup unique storyline and characters are interesting too i really like it.
Aug 15, 2022 2:07 AM

Sep 2018
What an awesome series. I wish that this arc came before the big uprising arc though, would have been a brilliant climactic ending. I hope to see a full adaptation of this one day, such a fascinating world with great characters. The only thing stopping it from being a 10/10 is the lack of emotional highs I felt during the series. You watch it with a curious interest and awe at the world building itself, but it didn't move me as much as some other series did. 9/10.
Sep 5, 2022 12:03 PM

Nov 2021
45 eps is WAY too short for how amazing this world building T-T

Sep 22, 2022 6:20 AM
Oct 2009
I've read the books. They are even more amazing!
Jul 7, 2023 4:35 PM

Oct 2019
animefan8800 said:
Well that's it huh? Just ending after a recap of the last mini-arc. Not the strongest ending, but I guess it's fine. I can see why people say it should have ended after the long arc that ended in episode 39 but oh well. So yeah, it took right around 10 days, but I'm glad I finally finished this. Unfortunately relief might be a better choice of words as I wasn't really big on this. For awhile the 8+ score this has on here surprised me, even after reading that it got better after the first several episodes. But I think I understand why it is scored as high as it is. The highlights of the arcs were very good. And to the supporters' credit it did get better, particularly after Rakushun was introduced and they finally made it to En; Rakushun easily being the best character in the series. But I feel like it didn't really stay better. You know that old saying it's about the journey and not the destination? I feel like the opposite held true for me regarding this series. The destination, or final few episodes, of both of the longer arcs were far more enjoyable than the slow, tedious buildup episodes they both had. Filled with obnoxious characters which made it harder to get through. Now some of them, primarily Suzu and the blue-haired princess whose name I couldn't be bothered to remember, did manage to become likable by the end. Others, mainly Asano but also Sugimoto, didn't. Not really anyway. I'm aware neither of these characters played the roles the anime gave them in the source novels, but that doesn't really change the fact that the anime chose to use them and did not use them well. Especially Asano who was pretty much dead weight to the story. His whole role was a forced, confusing mess. At least Sugimoto got out after the first arc more or less, even if she was obnoxious for nearly all of it. Then we got the two shorter arcs. They were both alright, but the first in particular with Taiki felt extremely pointless. Nothing came of it, and while I'm sure it was addressed in later source novels again, I'm just judging from this anime that has been over for 15 years and is most likely never coming back. I think the second one with King En was probably better just because it was shorter, though as I mentioned earlier weirdly placed at the end. There were other odd decisions like just skipping the fight at the end of the first arc against Joyei the false queen or whatever her name was, and of course there were those 3 or 4 padding clip shows. I'm inclined not to hold those against the show too much given when it was made, but at the same time they do add to a larger point I'd like to make: I feel like at least 15 or so episodes of this series I would never want to watch again, and probably more than that. And not because they were good but far too depressing like some anime movies, just because they were bad/extremely tedious to finish. So how can I give it a particularly high score? I can't so I'll go with a 6 out of 10. For what it's worth though part of me does feel like this still had potential to get better had it only gone on for longer. But I don't intend to seek out the source material so I guess I'll never really know for certain.
I completely understand. Fuck asano character and Sugimoto did learn to chill the fuck out but man, she was really crazy for the most part. 
This anime was mixed for me. I like the King of En and Rakushun a lot. Suzu and the princess definitely shined near the end of their stories which I thought was great. Yoko story was ok and then...yea, asano and Sugimoto. I felt the antagonists for some of these arcs played their role of being an obstacle against the MC but I couldnt even remember them much at all.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jul 7, 2023 4:46 PM

Jan 2012
FireRifle64 said:
I completely understand. Fuck asano character and Sugimoto did learn to chill the fuck out but man, she was really crazy for the most part. 
This anime was mixed for me. I like the King of En and Rakushun a lot. Suzu and the princess definitely shined near the end of their stories which I thought was great. Yoko story was ok and then...yea, asano and Sugimoto. I felt the antagonists for some of these arcs played their role of being an obstacle against the MC but I couldnt even remember them much at all.
Heh, @FireRifle64 tbh I remember nothing about this series now. But I'm glad you agreed with me lol.
Apr 29, 11:46 PM

Dec 2022
Hard to conceive of anything more epic than having your final episode be not only a recap, but a recap of the events of an arc that happened a thumping four episodes ago. Leaves things on a sour note, doesn't it?

This series had some flickers of enjoyment, such as the thoughtful conversations and introspective musings that were scattered throughout some of the arcs, but didn't maintain my interest for any extended period of time. The character development in particular had a bizarre penchant for manifesting as instantaneous, permanent changes in a character's psyche and mentality, usually as the result of a plot revelation or conversation that occurred within only a single scene. Rakushun was frequently utilised as the saintly "voice of reason" that best exemplified this instant character development mechanism, but characters could also be tempered by something as simple as the shocking reveal that the obviously shady dude they trusted was, in fact, really shady all along. Could've chalked up to pacing issues at first, but given how many episodes this series has, that likely wasn't the case. The characters themselves otherwise had fruitful, eloquent interactions, leading these immediate shifts in perspective you see from characters like Yuka and Shoukei to detract from them somewhat; they were never given time to internalise the lessons or perspectives they experienced before they produced results.

A point in the series favour does come from the extensive world building and use of an alternate, fictional language to give weight to it, but said alternate language often felt overzealous in its application. It isn't uncommon to see lines of dialogue in this anime that have around three or four different made-up words (usually nouns) that are constantly stacked on top of each other with even more jargon, such as "taika", "shoku", "hourai" and so on — these similar etymology and naming conventions result in many of the people, locations and concepts all forming one congealed mass of samey "fictobabble" terminology that can become a chore to follow at times. It's highly likely that the recap episodes in the series had the express purpose of hammering this alternate language into the viewer's head through repetition, and I couldn't blame it for that. Fortunately, the "Twelve Kingdoms" setting has competent world building otherwise, and you're frequently provided a window into the individual circumstances of the kingdoms and their constituent provinces, which establishes the scale of the setting.

Did enjoy the surprisingly electronic, high-tech soundtrack; it wouldn't even be out of place in a more futuristic setting. If the combat scenes were more properly choreographed or elaborate, then the soundtrack would've contributed immensely to setting an intense atmosphere. Unfortunately, many, if not most of the battles in this anime suddenly transitioned into a black screen before being resolved with a time skip, so the action you might expect from the series when large-scale conflicts arise isn't as prominent as it really should be.

Would've considered it a decent anime for the soundtrack, mythos creation and educated dialogue sequences, but the last episode being a recap let it down. It does feel like the last episode of the "A Great Distance in the Wind, the Sky at Dawn" arc could've very easily have been a much more satisfactory final episode than the one we got with only minimal alterations.
Archean-ReturnApr 30, 6:58 AM

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 28, 2008

70 by RioAl »»
May 22, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 15 Discussion

Beatnik - Mar 8, 2008

23 by jumbosan »»
May 22, 3:36 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 9 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by jumbosan »»
May 21, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 2, 2008

52 by jumbosan »»
May 21, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

69 by jumbosan »»
May 17, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.