Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 15, 2021 11:23 AM
Jan 2018
If you're not watching it in the intended broadcast order, don't bother at all. It's the way it is for a reason.
Aug 15, 2021 11:24 AM

Apr 2018
mazuchi said:
I think you should try it again in the normal (/broadcast) order. Like the user above said, the story was told in a nonlinear way on purpose.
I am kinda dumb so I can't watch it that way.

Animaniaig said:
If you're not watching it in the intended broadcast order, don't bother at all. It's the way it is for a reason.
I have to watch it since I have already downloaded it again, can't delete without watching it.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeAug 16, 2021 4:24 PM

Aug 15, 2021 11:27 AM
Jan 2018
NekoZamurai said:
Animaniaig said:
I have to watch it since I have already downloaded it again, can't delete without watching it.

Then watch it the way it's supposed to be watched. Watching chronologically ruins the whole point of the story.
Aug 15, 2021 11:28 AM

Feb 2020
NekoZamurai said:
mazuchi said:
I think you should try it again in the normal (/broadcast) order. Like the user above said, the story was told in a nonlinear way on purpose.

How far did you watch? It's normal to have no idea what's going on in the beginning of the series.
Aug 15, 2021 11:29 AM

Apr 2018
mazuchi said:
NekoZamurai said:

How far did you watch? It's normal to have no idea what's going on in the beginning of the series.
I don't remember it very well but I do remember some guys were f**king a school gal.

Aug 15, 2021 11:30 AM

Aug 2018
I would recommend release order but if you really want to go for broadcast order I guess it is fine
_______I like rocks__
Aug 15, 2021 11:33 AM

Feb 2020
NekoZamurai said:
mazuchi said:

I don't remember it very well but I do remember some guys were f**king a school gal.

That's in the beginning of the third movie. The fourth one is where things really start getting clearer, I think.
Aug 15, 2021 11:35 AM

Apr 2018
Technically, it's not even physically possible to watch the whole thing in true chronological order, unless you go in and edit it that way yourself.

For example, the 5th movie alone keeps jumping around back-and-forth in its own timeline of events and character perspectives, and it's not until the 7th movie that an important flashback is revealed which bridges the gap between the end of movie 2 and the start of movie 4.

Just watch it in the intended release order. You'll understand eventually, once you have the full picture in mind.

EDIT: oh yeah, also keep in mind that every movie outright shows you the date and time it takes place in right at the beginning (and also before the credits iirc). So if you're really having trouble keeping track of the timeline, you could always just write down the date of each movie as you watch them, just so you're clear.
Stygian_PrisonerAug 15, 2021 11:52 AM
Aug 15, 2021 12:57 PM

May 2019
I justed watched it in release order, I had a fun time. Thinking of rewatching the franchise in a more comprehensive order next time.
yo
Aug 15, 2021 6:45 PM

Feb 2021
I recommend watching by airing dates. Don't know much about chronological order but my way is easier for me.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Aug 15, 2021 8:55 PM

Jan 2020
If you didn't like the broadcasting order, then sure. Give it a go

Aug 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Dec 2012
Sure, go ahead, it doesn't really matter either way. I think the order was something like:

Movie 2
Movie 4
Movie 3
Movie 1
Movie 5
Movie 6
Movie 7
Movie 8
Movie 9: Mirai Fukuin

Remix: Gate of Seventh Heaven is just a compilation.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 16, 2021 8:07 AM

Feb 2019
NekoZamurai said:
I just want to know that if it's okay to watch in chronological order, I will not spoil myself in that way, will I?
I tried in broadcasting order a few years back and I didn't like it that way.

Broadcast order is the only correct way to go through it. KNK is intentionally non-linear.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Aug 16, 2021 11:55 AM

Feb 2010
NekoZamurai said:
I just want to know that if it's okay to watch in chronological order, I will not spoil myself in that way, will I?
I tried in broadcasting order a few years back and I didn't like it that way.

yes it's okay to watch it in chonological order.

it doesn't really affect the watch either way i watched it in release order first then chronological order. personally i prefer chronological order.

the movies are seprate enough that it doesn't affect the watch to watch it out of order.

@NekoZamurai

if you don't like broadcast ignore the purists and just watch it in chonological order.

as the person above said

Movie 2
Movie 4
Movie 3
Movie 1
Movie 5
Movie 6
Movie 7
Movie 8
Movie 9: Mirai Fukuin

@Alexioos95

actually from some one whos watched it both ways it doesn't ruin the experience to watch it in chronological order it's actually just as enjoyable.

instead of scaring off potential enjoyiers of the show i think it's better to offer both ways of viewing.

especially since this and tsukhime VN(not anime.) are some of type moons best works.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Aug 16, 2021 12:18 PM

Sep 2020
I think you should try re-watching it in broadcast order. And don't worry about not understanding much because you'll be able to piece them together after the first 4 movies.
Aug 16, 2021 12:33 PM

Jan 2017
hazarddex said:
actually from some one whos watched it both ways it doesn't ruin the experience to watch it in chronological order it's actually just as enjoyable.

The Author intentionally mixed the order of the events for 50% of the serie. (... More like 60/65% if we count Movie 5)
Modifying it again just to get a chronogical order will inevitably kill the intentional confusion. (And making a story non-linear always virtually accentuate the mystery in it , so it will not work in chronogical order)

You say that you watched it in the 2 ways... but you can only watch it 1 way for your first watch.
A re-watch is always different from your first one as you already know what happens (More or less , depending on your memory) , it's even more true for a serie based on mystery. (Which is , for me , clearly what Kara no Kyoukai is based)
For non-linear works , it's always recommanded to watch it the way the Author intented you to experiment it , then re-watch it in chronogical order if you need/want to clear your mind and get what you didn't during your first watch. (I believe that it's because people don't always re-watch it that the Movie 1 is rated lower than the 4.)
That's also why there is a disparity between those who have read Fate/Stay Night VN/watched the Animes then read/watched Zero and the one who did the opposite.
(And honestly , a chronogical order which is not even fully chronogical... it kills me.)

Not all works are made for everyone , they all target specific peoples.
And for me , as i said just before , Kara no Kyoukai clearly target the mysteries fan. (With a little bit of Action/Romance to spice up the whole)
If you are not one of them , then you should stay away from the serie. (It's not as if there was 9999 other series to watch , right ?)
By the way , the OP didn't liked Boogiepop at all , so i don't think he'll like Kara no Kyoukai anyway.

At least , i'm 100% sure that i wouldn't have loved Kara no Kyoukai as much as i do today at all if i had watched it in "chronogical" order (I'm a fan of mystery x)) , and i generally like to respect the works of the Authors by (Atleast) watching them the order they intended us to.
Edit : just to clarify , i also first watched it in the intentional order and then re-watched it in the "chronogical" one too.
Alexioos95Aug 16, 2021 12:56 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 16, 2021 4:21 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Many threads have been merged into this one.
Dec 26, 2022 8:55 AM

Apr 2018
Should have watched chronologically, watching the seventh gate of heaven made me realize my mistake.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kara no Kyoukai 7: Satsujin Kousatsu (Part 2) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Aug 18, 2009

437 by Karva1 »»
Feb 25, 10:33 AM

Poll: » Rate all the KnK! (ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN ALL SEVEN!) ( 1 2 3 4 )

KaminaKai - Dec 13, 2009

187 by TierraRobada »»
Jul 16, 2023 6:53 AM

» Your thoughts on it all

FauxAzn - Jan 24, 2012

29 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 19, 2023 1:13 PM

» Opening music?

amade0 - Jul 13, 2010

9 by Ougi_00 »»
Feb 5, 2023 12:11 AM

» understanding kara no kyoukai movies symbolism

mcskops - Jul 14, 2015

6 by Zelot »»
Jul 14, 2015 4:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.