Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 29, 2008 11:03 PM

Apr 2008
I like them with a good story (as everyone else have already mentioned) that doesn't just revolve wholly on the main yuri characters. A story with substance and good character development is always the best. And it doesn't have to show much of the yuri-action parts to say that it is indeed good (though that wouldn't really hurt).
Jun 1, 2008 2:57 AM

Oct 2007
I didn't really want to start an entire new topic,
But I'd like to clarify something Iv'e always been a little confused about. (^_^);

Do we, as GL fans identify with the term 'Yuri' over 'Shoujo Ai' ?

Yuri in some cases appears to apply to Hentai GL, in others it applies to the entire GL genre and doesn't seem to imply explicity like the term Yaoi. Which is separate to Shonen-Ai... So I was wondering what do you guys use to describe the genre? Do you identify a difference between Yuri/Shoujo Ai? or do you just prefer one umbrella term? I'm also asking because I have seen some epic debates about what the term 'Shoujo Ai' can imply in a genre. Personally I prefer to just use Yuri because to me the term summarises all forms of GL.
So, thoughts? anyone? ^^
FallowJun 1, 2008 4:10 AM
Jun 1, 2008 3:24 AM

May 2008
me both too. ^_^ strawberry panic is my favorite anime but i guess i go for the fanservice between the lovers more. hehe ^////^

Jun 1, 2008 3:27 AM

May 2008
Fallow said:
But I'd like to clarify something Iv'e always been a little confused about. (^_^);

Do we as GL fans identify with the term 'Yuri' over 'Shoujo Ai' ?

Yuri in some cases appears to apply to Hentai GL, in others it applies to the entire GL genre and doesn't seem to imply explicity like the term Yaoi. Which is separate to Shounen-Ai... So I was wondering what do you guys use to describe the genre? Do you identify a difference between Yuri/Shoujo Ai? or do you just prefer one umbrella term? personally I prefer to just use Yuri because to me the term applies to all forms of GL.
So, thoughts? anyone? ^^

well yeah there is a different meaning to yuri and shoujo ai as in yaoi and shounen ai.

yuri is more explicit in the anime in term of meaning more sex,naked,and touching.

shoujo-ai is more of a lovey dovey thing, like confess,kiss,little fanservice.

Jun 1, 2008 12:58 PM

Dec 2007
Not really sure what kind I like, but I would say everything as long as there are shoujo-ai/yuri XD.
Jun 1, 2008 1:16 PM

Jul 2007
I too used to refer to mild romance as shoujo ai and wild sex as yuri, but after the recent discovery that 'shoujo ai' is only a "westernization" and not the correct one, I go only by yuri, be it HLS or simple hugs.

This article should help, especially the "Japanese vs. western usage" one.

Jun 1, 2008 1:28 PM

Jan 2008
As for my preference in yuri, anything goes. From wild romantic ones through comedy to action.

Simply said, I watch series BECAUSE there is yuri in it, and only rate them according to their quality. Nevertheless, the one thing I'd really love to watch would be a slow paced slice-of-life series like Aria mixed together with some romantic yuri component and maybe a lil' bit of a good continuous story included in the recipe.
Jun 2, 2008 3:06 AM

Apr 2008
yamiperv said:
Fallow said:

Do we as GL fans identify with the term 'Yuri' over 'Shoujo Ai' ?

Yuri in some cases appears to apply to Hentai GL, in others it applies to the entire GL genre and doesn't seem to imply explicity like the term Yaoi. Which is separate to Shounen-Ai... So I was wondering what do you guys use to describe the genre? Do you identify a difference between Yuri/Shoujo Ai? or do you just prefer one umbrella term? personally I prefer to just use Yuri because to me the term applies to all forms of GL.
So, thoughts? anyone? ^^

well yeah there is a different meaning to yuri and shoujo ai as in yaoi and shounen ai.

yuri is more explicit in the anime in term of meaning more sex,naked,and touching.

shoujo-ai is more of a lovey dovey thing, like confess,kiss,little fanservice.

Aye aye!! Basically this is also my thought of the matter between yuri and shoujo-ai. They ARE different.

Imo, someone who likes JUST shoujo-ai might not like yuri at all (most prolly because of the more mature contents they have) and I know someone like that. On the other hand, I think them ppol who can be conned as yuri fans can appreciate all kinds of GL animes because, well, it is GL.
Jun 2, 2008 3:21 AM

Oct 2007
I don't like the term 'shoujo-ai' - it's artificial and doesn't sound that great anyway. Yuri, on the other hand is a clean, lovely word, that seems to describe GL well.

While I'm at it, both yaoi and shounen-ai are outdated and misused terms. Shounen-ai stood for super-angsty dramatic boys love that was produced in the 70s by authors such as Takemiya Keiko. It does not exist anymore. The same as Gothic movement is no more (the only difference being, that Gothic is dead for quite a few centuries). Yaoi stands for explicit, usually PWP doujinshi of already existing series.
Boys love is the term to go :]

And anyways, I don't really see a reason to separate a genre into two on basis of sex happening (or not). What kind of thinking is that anyway?
I could understand splitting Yuri into two on basis 'either it's Love or Akogare (admiration)', but that's about it.

Beware! For I wield the chair leg of truth!
Jun 2, 2008 7:33 AM

Jul 2007
Lunk said:
And anyways, I don't really see a reason to separate a genre into two on basis of sex happening (or not). What kind of thinking is that anyway?
I could understand splitting Yuri into two on basis 'either it's Love or Akogare (admiration)', but that's about it.

I'm with you =) Is it Koi or Akogare? Sex could happen or not; if it's between two girls, it's yuri.

Jun 2, 2008 1:11 PM

Jan 2008
Fallow said:

Do we, as GL fans identify with the term 'Yuri' over 'Shoujo Ai' ?

1) I don't "identify" as either. I am a fan of Yuri/"shoujo Ai"

2) I hate made up Western words that do little more than identify me as an outsider who doesn't understand what he is talking about.

3) The sex/no-sex distinction between the two is an example of this as it is little more than a moralistic projection of Christian/Humanist values onto a non-Christian culture.
Jun 3, 2008 11:20 AM

Jan 2008
I watch it because I'm a perv
Jun 4, 2008 9:46 AM

Feb 2008
I watch/read shoujo ai/yuri for the relationships and their development. Nothing melts me more than girls confessing their love towards another girl. Especially so if the road there is angsty or a tough struggle in some way.

Then again, I enjoy this in shounen ai and even straight romance. Though it's far from as good when it comes to "normal" romance. I see angsty shoujo ai as the cutest thing ever.

The fan service I can do without, I do enjoy it but I definitely don't want it to push the relationship away even the slightest.
Success is commemorated; Failure merely remembered
Jun 14, 2008 4:43 PM

May 2008
i Love yuri/shoujo-ai animes they have beautiful stories going through all the motiopns. if only they were more out there. :( i think we are being robbed
Jun 23, 2008 10:33 PM

May 2008
i love both. the long road to romance, straight up romance, or even that 'other' straight up 'romance'. ;D EVERYTHING that will keep me coming back for more. O.O

well not fanservice, i enjoy it, but i can also do without.

which constanty brings me back to the question...WHY ISN'T THERE ENOUGH YURI/SHOUJO-AI ANIMES/MANGAS OUT THERE?!?!?! >:O!!!
Jun 30, 2008 2:47 AM

Mar 2008
I watch shoujo ai for the plot and eye candy.^^
Preferably those with angst,denial and hardships...

Woo,and i agree with Cindy's last sentence.
MOAR!!!
Jul 15, 2008 11:21 AM

Jul 2008
Pretty much whatever I can get my hands on really. There isn't enough out there to be picky.

As it is, it is hard to find a good version of either considering most of the shows that have the theme usually end up finishing the show as a "passing phase" of the character. -_-
Jul 15, 2008 8:40 PM
Jul 2008
Personally, it depends on my mood, or what I watched before it. If I just finished a series full of fanservice (like I did a few days ago in the form of Popotan...why the hell did I watch that?), then something with strong relationships/plot/etc. is what I'm after. If I've been watching more serious type shows, then one with a lot of fanservice (preferably yuri, obviously) is something that's going to spark my interest.
Jul 16, 2008 2:37 PM

Jan 2008
CindysSoul said:
which constanty brings me back to the question...WHY ISN'T THERE ENOUGH YURI/SHOUJO-AI ANIMES/MANGAS OUT THERE?!?!?! >:O!!!

Because then it would degenerate into mass marketed crap?
Jul 16, 2008 11:32 PM

Jul 2008
nexist418 said:
Because then it would degenerate into mass marketed crap?

Out of the normal mass marketed crap there are quite a few diamonds.

I'd rather have consistent every season with 3 shoujo-ai/yuri shows and 2 of them are crap to the 1 shoujo-ai/yuri show every other season. I'm all for quality over quantity, but when we get shows they either are fantastic or bomb very hard. The standard "mass marketed crap" at least has a (at minimum) per season 1 in 7 chance of having a good show.
Jul 20, 2008 3:56 AM

Jun 2008
I mostly watch them for the relationships, especially one where the characters are very devoted to each other. It makes me a little heartsick sometimes (bawwww) but also makes me think perhaps one day I'll find the Nadie to my Ellis or the Kaon to my Himiko, (I know I probably won't find someone exactly like that, but hopefully you can see where I'm trying to go with this).

I'm also not adverse to the odd bit of fanservice. But I must admit that one of the factors which encouaged me to watch El Cazador de la Bruja when I started to was that the two protagonists didn't have huge boobs.

The reason I'm liking Strawberry Panic so far is because the series is focusing on the relationships between other characters besides Nadisa and Shizuma. But I'm only halfway through so far.
Jul 20, 2008 6:44 PM

Jul 2008
I enjoy all types of Yuri, be they fanservice or a long drawn out series. Although I will admit that I prefer relationships to just sex. But then again, I believe most of you do too.

I think we are all attracted to Yuri because of the way the relationships (most at least) are made to seem realistic. They go through hardships, misunderstandings, admiration, and eventually (or rather hopefully) are lead to total devotion and love. That is what most people want their relationships to be like.

I throughly enjoy Strawberry Panic!, in fact, I own the series. I also liked KnM, I believe the "rape" had the alterior motive of attempting to make Himeko hate Chikane. In order to allow Himeko to be able to kill Chikane more easily and was more then just blatant fanservice.

We all can agree, however, that Yuri is an undoubtable expression of beautiful and meaningful love.
Jul 20, 2008 11:16 PM

Jul 2008
Well said.
Jul 21, 2008 1:24 AM

Feb 2008
my favorite yuri i have watched was Strawberry Panic.. I like Shizuma x Nagisa pairing and Hikaru and Amane pairing..kawaii desu~
Sep 12, 2008 9:50 PM

Sep 2008
OGT said:
I watch yuri for the rather complex, frequently emotional relationships that usually develop between the characters. The fact that both characters in the relationship are girls is icing on the cake.

I also like the very gentle and soft feel yuri anime/manga tend to have. It feels more like the way love ideally should be, rather than the way love is. Of course, that's a function of fiction, but...

Same for me =)
Sep 15, 2008 1:52 AM

Jun 2008
I watch for both XD

Sep 18, 2008 4:18 AM

Sep 2008
Yuri relationships just feels a lot more pure and romantic than many of the male/female pairings in anime, a lot of which focus on the need for the male character to protect the helpless female character. I'm so tired of that, and I know it does happen in yuri pairings too, but it's not as bad.

The stories for yuri relationships generally tend to be better explored too, rather than the "you're a cute guy and you're a cute girl, why wouldn't you get together?" scenarios.

As for the fan service, I could take it or leave it, I don't really need it as I have an over-active imagination already ;)

Oct 3, 2008 8:51 AM
Sep 2008
I like yuri where at least one of the girls is kickass, and there's an intricate plotline with action. Something like Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Simoun.
Oct 10, 2008 3:08 AM

Oct 2007
Both ^^

But sometimes, It depends on the characters....if they are my liking...I would watch xD
Oct 26, 2008 4:01 PM

Jul 2008
I like it consentual. >.<
I like it when I can respect the characters, they're realistic and grow over the course of the story.
I like romantic shows over pointless fanservice. Fanservice that fits, though, is ok. Sometimes a plus, if done well, but usually it's not, really.
I like m/m and m/f (f/m?) as well, but f/f is my favorite. :)
I'd be interested to see a show that could handle an open relationship or polyamorous one in a convincing way. But I can't think of even a bad example of such a thing.
I like shows that fall into my other favorite genres... sci-fi and fantasy. Detective or sports anime GL would be great too. Does such a thing exist?
I like shows that show the further development of the relationship after they start going out.
May 31, 2009 5:35 AM

May 2009
I like sweet stories with a lot of character development to them. I don't like a lot of angst mind you, or echii. The more innocent the story the more I enjoy it. If I want sex I can just go to my wife for it, I'm a married dyke btw.

Kat

May 31, 2009 8:12 PM

Apr 2009
maria sama ga miteru!!!^^

May 31, 2013 4:29 PM

Apr 2012
For me I like it when they explain why they are in love. Fanservece can come after that.
May 31, 2013 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
I love manga that focus on the relationship of the two main characters, but take things really slowly when it comes to love.
I prefer romance over any other genre and enjoy the cute and lovely manga or one shots the most.
I also don't mind if sex in involved, as long as it's nicely done and not just randomly thrown into the story.
That's why Girl Friends and Prism are two of my favorite yuri manga of all time.
Jan 2, 2023 11:36 PM
( °◡°)/
Oct 2021
Any yuri story which features the genre-defining intimacy and isn't too weird (pretty broad range, I know, but it is what it is).

I don't mind if it has drama, death or sex too much, so long as the work has the intimacy that sets yuri relationships apart from any other kind of relationships that I normally see or read about :)
Mar 22, 2023 4:32 AM

Aug 2010
my preferred yuri is the adult women, slice of life type, that are for either josei or seinen demographics (meaning enjoyed by adults)
in recent years it's mostly manga since yuri hardly ever makes it to anime.
to be honest I look at the art style as well, because the moe type of "adult" women with a face of a toddler and gigantic tits is a no for me, even if in some bizarre AU the story is good, which 99% of the times is not lol, those also tend to be either shounen which I never touch, or hentai, that do not interest me.

Josei and Seine, yuri manga tend to have both good story lines, and good sex in them.

(ง`▽´)ง
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your sexual orientation? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Kyo - Jun 10, 2009

1186 by euls »»
Aug 15, 2023 9:39 PM

Poll: » Which type of shoujo-ai/yuri pairings do you like the most? ( 1 2 )

Louchan - Jul 12, 2009

61 by removed-user »»
Jun 12, 2023 9:25 AM

» Ouji-sama nante iranai by Harushion (not on mal!, 200 pages) - Marimite/class-s like

Wannabiteme - Jun 4, 2023

1 by JB-94 »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:17 AM

» What anime made you cry? ( 1 2 )

deletemeplzz - Sep 11, 2009

57 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 13, 2023 11:26 AM

» The boundaries of yuri (+ shoujo ai as for mal) - genderbender, crossdressing etc

Wannabiteme - Feb 25, 2016

4 by elgatosaika »»
Feb 12, 2023 5:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.