Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 17, 2017 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
I was especting nude mermaid just like in the manga but got swimsuit instead. Meh... :v
Jul 18, 2017 1:33 AM

Jul 2007
aLotQuestion said:
What?! Girl love in this episode? so this is confirm that female in this anime are lesbian?

Only guy is slightly normal. WTF.

Also, Centaur married to a bear-man?! Why female MC is not hybrid?

What about people being queer is "not normal"?
Jul 18, 2017 8:40 AM
Oct 2016
mermaid had legs? is its only purpose to wear panties? How do they wear it?

So is this dual panties? if so why not dual bra? horse part should has boobs too

She too, How does a centaur wear its horse part clothes?
Jul 18, 2017 9:01 AM

Jun 2016
Holy crap! It's like every girl in this show is gay. Waaaah. Hahaha. Love it! <3 ;P

And omg that part with the waterfolks is so amazing.

That pronunciation of "Edelweiss" in the ED bothers me, though, but it's really a beautiful song.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 18, 2017 10:27 AM
Jun 2016
Aww, this anime is so cute!
Also, I cant tell if this is a trap or not to be honest :')
Jul 18, 2017 4:04 PM

Aug 2016
I thought it was good but it made me feel kinda awkward and everything felt slow, not necessarily in a bad way. But the pauses felt a bit long in between dialogue. I also think it's because their wasn't much music in the background which I'm not used to. Other than that good episode

Jul 19, 2017 2:59 AM
Jul 2013
Andyroo said:
as of right now I am getting vibes that it will only exist to spark the hearts and imaginations of an sjw-leaning audience for whatever reason.

I'm actually thinking it will lean the opposite way. The characters are obviously being forced to watch what they say or else they'll be thrown into a correctional facility. I think that the show is trying to present the whole "equality through any means" thing as Orwellian. I do find it very interesting though. I've never seen this topic explored in an anime, but, a show about monster girls is a perfect way to do it. I'm definitely going to keep watching this as I think it'll have something to say about the hyper-PC world we live in.
Jul 19, 2017 4:56 AM
Jul 2017
TheHasbroGAMER said:
I'm actually thinking it will lean the opposite way. The characters are obviously being forced to watch what they say or else they'll be thrown into a correctional facility. I think that the show is trying to present the whole "equality through any means" thing as Orwellian. I do find it very interesting though. I've never seen this topic explored in an anime, but, a show about monster girls is a perfect way to do it. I'm definitely going to keep watching this as I think it'll have something to say about the hyper-PC world we live in.

Here's the thing... that might be an interesting premise for a different anime, but not a cutesy Slice-of-Life show. I'm not going to give Centaur extra points for obliquely approaching a meaningful topic in the stupidest, most boring way possible.
Jul 19, 2017 1:50 PM

Jul 2007
TheHasbroGAMER said:
Andyroo said:
as of right now I am getting vibes that it will only exist to spark the hearts and imaginations of an sjw-leaning audience for whatever reason.

That's not what the show is about. Its not altright propaganda(obviously since the show is filled with gay so far, which is insta-repellent for bigots).

Jul 19, 2017 2:06 PM
Jul 2013
Fai said:
TheHasbroGAMER said:

That's not what the show is about. Its not altright propaganda(obviously since the show is filled with gay so far, which is insta-repellent for bigots).

I wasn't saying that it's alt-right propaganda. You realise that SJW and Alt-Right aren't the only two political ideologies, right?

Jul 19, 2017 5:23 PM

Apr 2014
thx fai for letting me know this is canon yuri.

i can drop this now without utilizing the 3 episode rule
Jul 19, 2017 10:16 PM

Oct 2014
I can only watch this series between 12 and 2 am when I'm tired but don't want to go to bed yet. I'm sure the animation is supposed to be good but it looks kind of ugly. Or plain. Like the characters have flat, pale samey faces and everything looks crisp and clear but not particularly interesting. Same problem I had with hell girl season 4.

Why were the merfolk students in swim wear when their teacher wears a suit?

Reverse discrimination? I...what? It's discrimination because they're not capable of getting around normally so it's somehow "reverse" discrimination to acknowledge it and make provisions for them? If somebody's trying to make a commentary on how marginalized people operate in society, merfolk easily appear as a substitute for disabled people, then the solution is to consider how to design public spaces with them in mind. It's not "reverse discrimination" to make buildings wheelchair accessible for example, that's acknowledging that some people have different needs and addressing them so that it's not a problem. Or making specific accomodations for neurodivergent students so that they can learn to the best of their ability. Make that device for merfolk more affordable so that more people can buy it. Make more of them, have them produced by different companies, but make sure they're regulated for safety like other products. It's practically just a wheelchair.

Is this like some bizarre satire?
Jul 19, 2017 10:29 PM

Oct 2014
MustardMaybe said:

Do yourself a favor and never use the word "trap" with that meaning again. It's a disgusting transphobic term. It comes from the idea of trans girls or trans women who haven't had surgery and when someone dating them or whatever finds out they have a penis they get mad and feel like they were "tricked". But equating someone's gender to their genitals is kind of dehumanizing. I don't walk into the men's room because I have a penis. It's because I've decided I'm male and people agree with me. Nobody's challenging me on my gender identity. The idea of a "trap" suggests that you think all women have a responsibility to adhere to your standards of appearance and attractiveness and be available t you at all times. That trans women are trying to deceive you. But no one's deceiving you, you just have an incomplete understanding of sex and gender. If you didn't equate gender with genitals then it wouldn't bother you. Trans people are just trying to exist. They don't need this kind of bullshit, which results in trans women being murdered because their partners feel cheated or are afraid of being with whom they think is another man.

Nozomi is a bland and shota style character, meant to be exciting to pedophiles.
Jul 20, 2017 1:46 AM
Jul 2013
plutodiplomat said:
MustardMaybe said:

Do yourself a favor and never use the word "trap" with that meaning again. It's a disgusting transphobic term. It comes from the idea of trans girls or trans women who haven't had surgery and when someone dating them or whatever finds out they have a penis they get mad and feel like they were "tricked". But equating someone's gender to their genitals is kind of dehumanizing. I don't walk into the men's room because I have a penis. It's because I've decided I'm male and people agree with me. Nobody's challenging me on my gender identity. The idea of a "trap" suggests that you think all women have a responsibility to adhere to your standards of appearance and attractiveness and be available t you at all times. That trans women are trying to deceive you. But no one's deceiving you, you just have an incomplete understanding of sex and gender. If you didn't equate gender with genitals then it wouldn't bother you. Trans people are just trying to exist. They don't need this kind of bullshit, which results in trans women being murdered because their partners feel cheated or are afraid of being with whom they think is another man.

Nozomi is a bland and shota style character, meant to be exciting to pedophiles.

Jul 20, 2017 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
Really nice show so far with a similar feel to it like 'Flying Witch', just in a different setting with more interesting characters. So far i love it and also sad to see the low rating currently, but i guess it is to be expected for various reasons. 8/10
Jul 20, 2017 12:25 PM

Jul 2008
Ehh better than the first ep. Even though the tension is still there it is brought up more subtle. I mean that biology scene last episode was just unnerving.

Mermaids do indeed look weird with their tails having a gap, it looks like they either are going to evolve into legged animals or are still evolving from that into fishtails.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Jul 20, 2017 2:43 PM

Oct 2016
I really liked this episode, much better than the first. I hope it stays that way and it gets better. Emilia-tenshi is so beautiful!!
Jul 21, 2017 8:30 AM
Jun 2016
MustardMaybe said:
plutodiplomat said:
MustardMaybe said:

Just so you know, I, myself, am transgender.
I have no idea why you are getting all serious about this, but whatever, that's your view of the word.
I am a trans male, and no I have not had surgery.
In my view, a ''trap'' is when a character looks like the opposite gender, it's not a transgender statement, and the viewers cannot tell what gender they have.
I am in an LGBT+ club, and I am well, well aware that gender does not = genitals.
But face it, bringing up the transgender argument is basically just you looking for attention, and wanting to fight with someone over it.
Also, you said "Never use the word trap with that meaning again" What meaning? I simply just said "I cannot tell if this a trap or not" That could have meant anything.
If you reply to this, I won't respond to you since you're just looking for attention, thank you, and have a good day.
Jul 22, 2017 5:45 PM

Oct 2014
TheHasbroGAMER said:
plutodiplomat said:

No I'm being completely serious about everything I said. I replied pretty strongly because I assumed this person was making some judgement about the character. Honestly I don't know how else the word "trap" could be referring to.
I'm pretty close to dropping this series because nothing stands out but I mean with the abundance of ecchi and harem anime and whatnot, it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of anime fans are pedophiles.
Jul 22, 2017 5:47 PM

Oct 2014
MustardMaybe said:
MustardMaybe said:
plutodiplomat said:

I have no idea why you are getting all serious about this, but whatever, that's your view of the word.
In my view, a ''trap'' is when a character looks like the opposite gender, it's not a transgender statement, and the viewers cannot tell what gender they have.
I am in an LGBT+ club, and I am well, well aware that gender does not = genitals.
But face it, bringing up the transgender argument is basically just you looking for attention, and wanting to fight with someone over it.
Also, you said "Never use the word trap with that meaning again" What meaning? I simply just said "I cannot tell if this a trap or not" That could have meant anything.
If you reply to this, I won't respond to you since you're just looking for attention, thank you, and have a good day.

You're right. I'm sorry I didn't give you a chance to explain what you meant.
Jul 22, 2017 5:47 PM

Oct 2014
MustardMaybe said:
MustardMaybe said:
plutodiplomat said:

You're right. I'm sorry I didn't give you a chance to explain what you meant.
Jul 23, 2017 11:52 AM
Mar 2012
liking ED more. Keeping seeing Raphiel in classrep tho.
Mountain water cultural exchange just started but there's more to explore it seems.
Goldfish eat their own transformed poop?
so a canon yuri pair
The rare hetero pair at the end kind of cute, but that mermaid device too weird.
Jul 23, 2017 1:37 PM

Oct 2009
plutodiplomat said:
Do yourself a favor and never use the word "trap" with that meaning again. It's a disgusting transphobic term.
Dear god this bullshit is spreading.
Jul 26, 2017 2:45 PM

Feb 2015
This is a weird anime. The pacing is all off, so the scenes just don't seem to flow together nicely. There are too many random characters being introduced. The girl with white hair and angel wings is supposed to be important since she takes most of the ED, but all I know about her is that she's the class president.

There was the girl with a fish tail, some dude carrying her and 3 jealous friends that got a scene out of nowhere. Is this supposed to introduce them? Why should I care?

The flashback was also a bit of jarring transition. I didn't realise it was a flashback until it went back to them, and I have no idea what we're supposed to take away from it. It introduces aquatic people to the audience, but I can't think of any relevance to the characters that were actually thinking back to it.

IDK. I'm just not connecting to any of the characters. I'm getting a decent sense of world-building, but the enjoyment of caring about the characters isn't there. Also absolutely nothing made me laugh, so the comedy was weak. I've seen too much SoL anime for the calm atmosphere to be enough for me. This anime is disappointing me; I may drop if the next episode doesn't impress.

Also, I couldn't help but notice the slow line delivery. I felt like there were delays between the characters reacting to each other. It felt weird.
Jul 28, 2017 4:33 AM

Jul 2009
Hime was very pretty modeling!
The couple in the end wascute.
Jul 30, 2017 11:49 AM

Jan 2013
Anime_Dog said:
So, i'm only 7 minutes into the episode, but doesn't the dialogue seem to have a weird pace to it? Like there's too much of a pause between each line? Am i imagining things?

This is exactly what has been bugging me for the two episodes I've watched.
Aug 22, 2017 3:26 AM

Nov 2009
Lolsebca said:
It bores me so much when this anime tries to deal with society with multiple races
Like, I'm not racist, but recently I've been overthinking
About the concept of society itself
So i'm basically overthinking in a way I can't enjoy the anime's
pictured civilisation

Their civilization isn't meant to be perfect. And that allows us to overthink it, and possibly think up something good. Nicely done, if you ask me.

SylverClaw said:
I wish this anime would just commit to its stupid setting rather than trying to build in some sort of logical, meaningful world around it. I mean, no one is watching this for serious social commentary, so why bother trying to shoehorn it in? Unless this thing suddenly goes all 180 and becomes really serious, they are just wasting cutesy horse girl screen time. Stuff like Demi and Monster worked because they didn't give a fig about "realism" in their setting, and if anything, it just became part of the humour of the shows.

Actually, I enjoy the social commentary a lot. And there are other people who do.

FallenEntity said:
I might be the only one here but the music oddly enough reminds me of shiro kuma cafe (well during the beginning). I will admit was not expecting swimsuits this early in the anime. now I have so many questions about these mermaids but I will only ask two maybe some of you can answer.

question 1. how the hell do they put on the bottom half of there swimsuit on?

question 2. why do these mermaids look more like lamias than actual mermaids?

1) Apparently, the middle goes first, and after that they tie it up on the sides.
2) Because they're supposed to have evolved from the same baseline as the other humans of the setting, I guess.

AniMatt17 said:
I enjoyed this more than the previous episode. Seeing the centaur soldiers guarding the merfolk school makes me curious if there's going to be any big racial conflicts in the show.

Racial conflicts exist in this setting, and one or two of them might even make it into anime. But I would not bet on it - they're side stories not directly related to the main cast's peaceful lives.

World_Creator said:
Fai said:

Nice buzzword.

There's nothing "political" about social commentary and there's plenty of it from the start. Its literally the main point of the story.

But that's what I read in the comment section in mangahere, it'll be political and there's gonna be aliens involve

The show would not get any more political than it already was in episode 1 - just bits and pieces of how their world is not quite like ours. It's up to the viewers to decide what it means.
There are some aliens, though.

aLotQuestion said:
What?! Girl love in this episode? so this is confirm that female in this anime are lesbian?

Yes, this anime has an actual lesbian couple in it, and they're not really hiding it. I guess a show talking about racism has to be honest with such topics too.

fizhsmile said:
I was especting nude mermaid just like in the manga but got swimsuit instead. Meh... :v

Mermaids were wearing swimsuits in that scene the manga too, what are you talking about?

animefan8800 said:
Speaking of big, beautiful tits...mermaids! I hope that one becomes a couple with her childhood friend who carries her around. :)

They are already obviously a couple. That's why they decided to put off getting mechanical legs for the mermaid.

MustardMaybe said:
http://static.zerochan.net/Gokuraku.Nozomi.full.2087956.jpg

Wait till episode 4, that one leaves no doubts.

Masood_sama_XN said:

So is this dual panties? if so why not dual bra? horse part should has boobs too

Horse part does not have breasts. One pair of breasts is enough.
Wearing horse part clothes takes a lot of flexibility, but Himeno already said centaurs usually have that, right?
Also, see episode 7.

One good thing about Centaur's Worries is, many questions get answered eventually. The author puts a lot of thought into it.
Aug 22, 2017 4:22 AM

Nov 2009
plutodiplomat said:
I can only watch this series between 12 and 2 am when I'm tired but don't want to go to bed yet. I'm sure the animation is supposed to be good but it looks kind of ugly. Or plain. Like the characters have flat, pale samey faces and everything looks crisp and clear but not particularly interesting. Same problem I had with hell girl season 4.

Why were the merfolk students in swim wear when their teacher wears a suit?

I don't remember what the teacher wears when there are no mountain people in the village, but I do remember that the mermaids wore tops specifically for the occasion. My guess is, the teacher dressed up too.

plutodiplomat said:
Reverse discrimination? I...what? It's discrimination because they're not capable of getting around normally so it's somehow "reverse" discrimination to acknowledge it and make provisions for them? If somebody's trying to make a commentary on how marginalized people operate in society, merfolk easily appear as a substitute for disabled people, then the solution is to consider how to design public spaces with them in mind. It's not "reverse discrimination" to make buildings wheelchair accessible for example, that's acknowledging that some people have different needs and addressing them so that it's not a problem. Or making specific accomodations for neurodivergent students so that they can learn to the best of their ability. Make that device for merfolk more affordable so that more people can buy it. Make more of them, have them produced by different companies, but make sure they're regulated for safety like other products. It's practically just a wheelchair.

It is the right thing to make provisions for different people. But is it really okay to spend most of the budget for such provisions on just merfolk?
Probably yes, because they are really marginalized and have even more problems than centaurs. But such questions need to be asked.
Aug 22, 2017 9:20 AM
Oct 2016
flannan said:

Masood_sama_XN said:

Wearing horse part clothes takes a lot of flexibility, but Himeno already said centaurs usually have that, right?
Also, see episode 7.

One good thing about Centaur's Worries is, many questions get answered eventually. The author puts a lot of thought into it.

Yes one pair of breasts is enough and cause it's on human part, the bra is there too. I'm saying why covering middle part? what is under there? Is there two pair of holes?
and I'm not watching this anymore
Aug 22, 2017 11:18 AM

Nov 2009
Masood_sama_XN said:
flannan said:

Also, see episode 7.

Yes one pair of breasts is enough and cause it's on human part, the bra is there too. I'm saying why covering middle part? what is under there? Is there two pair of holes?

She is covering the middle part because the middle part has to be covered. There is nothing that needs to be covered there, it just matches other races' standards of dressing. Rules of modesty are arbitrary.

This reminds me of Est from Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, who considers that feet, and only feet, have to be covered up. And that when she's wearing naked kneesocks, she is dressed enough. And that short socks is an alluring attire.
Aug 22, 2017 11:58 AM
Oct 2016
flannan said:
Masood_sama_XN said:

She is covering the middle part because the middle part has to be covered. There is nothing that needs to be covered there, it just matches other races' standards of dressing. Rules of modesty are arbitrary.

This reminds me of Est from Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, who considers that feet, and only feet, have to be covered up. And that when she's wearing naked kneesocks, she is dressed enough. And that short socks is an alluring attire.

Ok, If that's the case.
Thanks.
Sep 24, 2017 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
So in that world the sirens have that look? Well, a little weird about how I imagined it, okay! The protagonists begin to get to know each other better, I'm satisfied.
Oct 16, 2017 4:37 PM

May 2012
Decent episode, some more races seen in this episode, let's see what's next.
Nov 14, 2017 8:20 PM
Feb 2013
I really wish they had elaborated more about the Merfolk on that episode it left plenty of openings so I'm hoping to see more of them.
Mar 25, 2019 5:31 AM

Mar 2019
i wonder if every episode has this equality stuff being discussed
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jul 24, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2013
Hmm this is indeed not as good as Demi-chan, since everyone is such a sub-species it's not as interesting somehow. Also not enough variety and the mermaids look weird with that hole down there xD
Apr 28, 2020 5:42 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I wish the water part was longer
Apr 28, 2020 5:44 PM

Mar 2019
Mermaid episode, it was cool
Apr 3, 2021 7:18 PM

Jan 2010
In some ways, A Centaur's Life leverages too much on the differing racial characteristics, and in other ways, it doesn't do enough.

The show brings up its history of racial relations and perceptions a lot. I understand that it's important to teach in a school setting, but hearing the characters bring it up in regular conversation feels a bit too explanatory narrative-wise. On the other hand, I'd want to see more variation in how transportation, buildings, clothing, and popular media. For example, I like seeing how mermaids need their school half-submerged or require special equipment to move on land, as well as bringing up issues of reverse discrimination. It's a hard balance to strike, and while I'm not necessarily asking for a great insightful drama from A Centaur's Life, I like that the show is getting me to think about things like that. For the moment at least, I'm not exactly sure if the show wants to be more of a slice-of-life, or if it wants to delve into its history of racial issues. It can certainly try for both, but I just hope it doesn't get too disjointed.
ShockedApr 3, 2021 7:39 PM
Apr 9, 2021 10:38 AM
Oct 2018
I am surprised that fins are made out of two legs and crotch still exists. Good design
May 21, 2021 4:40 AM

Feb 2020
Himeno looked cute as a model. :3

SerafosMay 2, 5:25 AM
Aug 10, 2022 7:11 PM
Nov 2019
Nice seeing more of the Social/Political atmosphere being explained. I really want to know what's the deal with the halos though. I swear I can see them being suspended by a wire. is it a common fashion piece for winged species? why does every feather winged girl wear them but not any of the leather wings? I hope they give a reason for it. I also wanna know about the horned species more. are the horns their 3rd set of appendages? if not then where did they go? the centaurs obviously have 6 limbs, the wings are the 6th limb but where is it for the horned species? This show takes a really unique stance on the whole Monster Girl Genre, So i really hope they explain their lore a bit more.
Oct 1, 2022 3:49 AM

Feb 2014
Ahenshihael said:
aLotQuestion said:

Only guy is slightly normal. WTF.

Also, Centaur married to a bear-man?! Why female MC is not hybrid?

What about people being queer is "not normal"?

Uh, the word 'queer' literally means abnormal. Besides, the male and female sexual organs evolved to be compatible with the opposite sex, not the same sex. So, homosexuality is abnormal. Not to mention, an evolutionary and genetic dead end. The primary purpose of every life form is finding a suitable mate and reproducing. Everything every sexually reproducing life form does is to survive and find the best mate possible, so as to continue his/her genetic line that has been going on for the past 3 billion years. That's not possible with homosexual relationships.
Mar 6, 2023 11:37 PM
Sep 2020
What an interesting ep lol.

The merfolks and the way they live is an interesting concept! I hope we see more of them in future eps ^^. Overall a good ep ˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶ ⋆ ˚。⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。⋆ !
May 20, 2023 8:54 AM

Aug 2019
i cant see what this show is trying to be. there is random education info dumps everywhere and the whole discrimination/equality thing is quite annoying im not here for that, if i want that ill go read the political side of twitter.
(19.05 22:55)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2017

69 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 9:00 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2017

87 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:57 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

126 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 20, 2023 8:52 AM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2017

91 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 27, 2023 8:46 PM

Poll: » Centaur no Nayami Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2017

88 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 24, 2023 9:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.