Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2020 2:06 AM

Jul 2016
Is this gonna get better? It seems pretty generic judging from the first ep.
Oct 3, 2020 2:22 AM

May 2019
Not going to lie, I really enjoyed this first episode. I love supernatural themes in anime because in America we don't really get that kinda stuff (beyond ghosts I guess). I love shonen anime but only a certain type, like HxH, Demon Slayer, Etc. To me, this anime looks like it is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for since My Hero Aca and Demon Slayer went on hiatus. I am really stoked to see where this goes. The opening was beautiful. The MC seems really likable and the animation was stellar. So far so good, safe to say I am keeping this on my watch list.
Oct 3, 2020 3:01 AM

Sep 2018
OK, now that was a great first episode, especially comparing it to that 100 man anime that I had just watched previously to this.
Oct 3, 2020 3:02 AM
Apr 2019
I hope that they wouldn't rush this just like the God of Highschool adaptation. My god Mappa, please we know you're good at animating things but slow down a bit okay? Though this episode wasn't rushed which is good. I have high hopes for this.
Oct 3, 2020 3:43 AM

Dec 2012
Yo, the action is so dynamic in this show. I love it! The CGI for the monsters looks good too.
Oct 3, 2020 3:59 AM

Oct 2018
I want to see what happens next cause I didn't read the manga. But I don't understand the hype either it has decent animation not out of the ordinary. (I know its only been 1 ep.)

Kind of gives parasyte vibes and tokyo ghoul mixer vibe.
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Oct 3, 2020 4:13 AM

Jun 2016
Awesome episode I like megumi already. Interesting plot and I am looking forward to the next episode

Oct 3, 2020 4:31 AM
May 2019
Hydroalbidius said:
can any manga reader can tell me how many chapters are covered from this first episode and also one question why did main character has pink hair he used to have yellow or goldish hair right. plz clear my doubts and questions

from what I've seen and a lot of the art his hair has always been a weird tan salmon type color but I'm pretty sure the first episode only covered chapter 1. I loved it.
Oct 3, 2020 4:32 AM

Mar 2020
Well this seems to be a promising series with a good premise!

I just wish it doesn't end up terrible like God of High School.
Oct 3, 2020 4:33 AM

Dec 2016
As usual, MAPPA is great in animation! Hope we enjoy the rest.
Oct 3, 2020 6:08 AM

Jan 2015
Lol, that was kinda cringe.
Oct 3, 2020 6:28 AM

Mar 2010
These kids are dumb. Touching things that don't belong to them. Wonder how he is so strong and athletic. He actually ate the thousand year old finger..
Oct 3, 2020 7:05 AM

Jan 2008
Well I really enjoyed that. I like the characters and the animation is solid. The story is right up my alley too. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 3, 2020 8:12 AM
Jul 2014
Ohhh that was good. Countless leagues above God of Highschool which was clearly written by a hack.
Oct 3, 2020 8:45 AM
Jun 2015
Justinian2324 said:
I hope that they wouldn't rush this just like the God of Highschool adaptation. My god Mappa, please we know you're good at animating things but slow down a bit okay? Though this episode wasn't rushed which is good. I have high hopes for this.
The staff is different as well as the director.
Oct 3, 2020 8:52 AM

Sep 2017
Okay a decent start. Not sure what's otg with MC. Was it supposed to be comedy that dude just breaks a bunch of world records for things like running and shotput or w/e it is? Maybe that will be explained later idk. Dude now has some borrowed power from evil finger so he's potentially already juiced up to fight curses. "His OP mc abilities allowed him to survive eating the thing" or some shit idk. Of course maybe he will really get exorcized and live so he will need to use his natural MC powers to train at this curse fighting school or w/e.
Oct 3, 2020 9:06 AM

Jun 2012
Damn what a spectacle, the animation was god like... hope they can keep it up.
Oct 3, 2020 9:25 AM

Aug 2013
I feel really safe about Mappa adapting attack on titan last season after watching this episode animation.
Oct 3, 2020 9:30 AM

Jun 2016
Now from the look of it main characters have two personality now. I wonder where story will go from here. This feel like dark anime than light anime
PrideRoyalIvyOct 3, 2020 9:33 AM

Oct 3, 2020 9:32 AM
Aug 2020
6/10 pacing felt strange
characters bland as fuck
Story seems meh
Oct 3, 2020 9:38 AM

Sep 2018
The news of an animated adaptation at the time did not arouse particular attention in me and not even the various PVs had piqued my curiosity that much, but as I have always said and thought, you must always give everyone a chance, so I looked this episode. After this excursus, let's move on to comment on this episode: the vision was not boring, the narration was indeed very funny and with a bit of seriousness, well mixed together, the narrative device at the beginning of the episode did not surprise me more than much. Direction and screenplay did a sufficient and sufficient work was also the quality of the drawings and backgrounds, which did not make me crazy for their beauty, but I'm not saying that they are not well done, quite the contrary! Perhaps what I didn't like is the choice of colors used. The animations on the other hand I liked a lot. I'm very curious to see how this anime progresses, so I look forward to the next episodes.
Oct 3, 2020 10:04 AM

Mar 2019
There were some elements that I liked such as the animation and the horror theme.

However, the comedy is atrocious and it's ridiculous how the main character is able to adapt to the situation so easily. He's a regular high school student at the start of the episode and by the end he's flying through the air and beating up deadly monsters as if he's been doing it forever. How about some struggle in between all that? Whatever.
Oct 3, 2020 10:13 AM

Jun 2020
i laughed when he ate the finger LOL

help i think i love it already

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Oct 3, 2020 10:29 AM
Dec 2017
Already a rating of nearly 8 after such a lousy first episode :(

This feels like the stupidity of God Of High School all over again
Oct 3, 2020 10:33 AM
Dec 2017
poemofdevil said:
There were some elements that I liked such as the animation and the horror theme.

However, the comedy is atrocious and it's ridiculous how the main character is able to adapt to the situation so easily. He's a regular high school student at the start of the episode and by the end he's flying through the air and beating up deadly monsters as if he's been doing it forever. How about some struggle in between all that? Whatever.

THIS right here. I'm honestly becoming triggered with how overblown and overrated shows with bad writing are. The animation needs to look decent and people are already foaming at the mouth for more.
Oct 3, 2020 11:00 AM

Jun 2015
I love it already. I think before even it got wild I had already feel in love when he had just bought the flowers and was standing at the crossing, and the baby was trying to grab at them and he stepped to the side a little. Such attention to detail in a seemingly mundane scene got my attention. Looking forward to this one!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 3, 2020 12:02 PM

May 2018
ok that was a great first episode. The OP is very pretty too
Oct 3, 2020 12:35 PM

Mar 2019
shane_nichols said:
Justinian2324 said:

The director is actually the same one who directed God of High School.
Oct 3, 2020 12:38 PM

Dec 2009
Good adaption on the first episode, animation is great. Animation is nice along with the rough style for the curses.
Oct 3, 2020 12:55 PM
Jan 2019
I think it'll be the best Omnyouji Anime.... ever. I love the concept of this Anime and this looks promising.
Oct 3, 2020 12:56 PM
Jan 2020
A very interesting first episode of Jujutsu Kaisen,I think it's a show with a lot of potential,now we need to wait and see where the story is going.
Oct 3, 2020 1:29 PM

May 2015
I've seen a lot of hype for this, and I'll say that the first episode was pretty decent. I probably shouldn't have read so much into the hype though because I think I was expecting a bit more. Still, I'll stick around with it.

♡ artist
サコ
Oct 3, 2020 1:38 PM

May 2020
Very interesting and good for a first episode.
I'm hyped to see what comes next. This anime is surprising me, I didn't plan in watching this until recently, but it seems decent.
Oct 3, 2020 2:35 PM
Dec 2019
was so hyped for this and it didn't disappoint!

boi the E ve OP is a banger ♥

there's only one thing annoying me, and i think i'm the only one but WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE EYELASHES!!!? THEY'RE SO FUCKING WEIRD! THEY DON'T EVEN
SUIT HIM!

other than that everything is top tier and i can't wait for next Friday, hope they play the ED in the next episode.
Oct 3, 2020 2:48 PM
Jan 2017
AcD4c said:
Very average, but too soon to say more than this.

That should be most people's quote.

You can't judge a show by 1 episode.

Everyone went nuts over Demon Slayer after episode 19. After 19 weeks it was on air.

You couldn't say Demon Slayer was that good before that. Because that's what everyone talks about. Episode 19 lol.

Well I believe Jujutsu Kaisen will have that moment too. When everything will click.

It'll take time since it's a 2-cour/2-parter like Attack on Titan season 3.
Oct 3, 2020 2:55 PM
Jan 2017
Nycro said:
That directing doesnt feel right at all. The scene where the grandpa died felt so off. He was rotating and talking without any problems and suddnely dies of old age. Lol

That's how death works though.

You must've not seen a loved one die.

Because that's how it is... one minute their fine next you're left wondering what happened before you realise.
Oct 3, 2020 2:59 PM

Jun 2015
Victimized said:
Nycro said:
That directing doesnt feel right at all. The scene where the grandpa died felt so off. He was rotating and talking without any problems and suddnely dies of old age. Lol

Because that's how it is... one minute their fine next you're left wondering what happened before you realise.

What are you fucking talking about. I literally experienced how a family member
slowly died due to cancer. The process was slow, very slow.
Oct 3, 2020 3:08 PM

Apr 2014
Nycro said:
Victimized said:

so how many episodes did we need to see the grandpa slowly die? lol stop with this dumb ass criticism it isnt even relevant.

the grandpas purpose of the show was to give him a reason to fight and it worked. ur not supposed to get some deep backstory and watch him deteriorate.
Oct 3, 2020 3:29 PM
Dec 2016
I really enjoyed the first episode. I've been reading the manga so I know what happens, but it's still amazing seeing it animated. The only part that I was like "ew wtf" was in the opening with the panda running. Everything else looked really good. 8/10 first episode!
Oct 3, 2020 3:34 PM
Jan 2017
RayReynolds said:
it's a full-blown jump show. We can't have a dude with glasses without a closeup of him pushing them against his nose. Can't have a female without sexualizing it and groping it. Can't have a male lead with gifted powers without him making particularly banal declarations like "dying is sad.", Mappa's animation doesn't really bring much to the table when they're focusing on over-animating groping, running down hallways, or shouting particularly dramatically. It's weird. They're in the middle of a supposed action scene, dude is being crushed by some kind of Cronenberg monster, and the animation budget is going instead into the guy twenty feet away dramatically swinging his arms around while shouting. I'm not even sure how the big ol' monster attacks. It grabbed the dude, then we cut to the outside of the building where it shows lights flashing, and then he explodes out of a wall. At this point, there are zero more energy blasts whatsoever. No idea how it was killed either for that matter since we ascribe to the usual Jump "dude stands there and poses while the enemy evaporates" school of cool.

I'm probably coming off a bit more negative than I actually feel but seriously nothing in the premise or direction change my mind that it is a generic shonen anime with nothing special, take away the good animation and surely and it surely be like black clover or any anime that pierrot produces.

One thing I have to say to you...

Huh?

First of all... the episode added more stuff. Scenes were expanded and the flow was even better than the manga. Certain exaggerated faces were cut and replaced with more normal faces. They just talk louder and are more dramatic though which is the point of Voice Acting versus still images without a voice.

Second... you cling to these "tropes" and cliché parts you described like it's an inherent bad thing.

I swear you people don't seem to understand a simple concept. There's no such thing as cliché. Tropes are there because people like you over explain and over analyse and overall act like everything must be unique.

Every story must come with unique concepts like... not wanting to help other people because that's so cliché. Not having visual clues of someone's character in a visual medium because that's such a boring trope.

It's like your discussions with your friends and family don't include words and concepts someone a block away does exactly the same as you. It's not like we're people who experience the same stuff and have a limited amount of knowledge. It's not like you'll be eating that spaghetti you like every Tuesday or something because you've made that your habit.

No.

Everything must be unique. Every day must be different. Must as well try to learn how to grow wings because nobody's done that before so you must be unique.

Oh no... the animation is the saving point of... AN ANIMATION and if you rip that off then it becomes "generic". Duh! Of course! That's the point of the anime to adapt and elevate the manga.

And let's not talk about that off handed comment about girls being groped and having more emphasis and over sexualisation ... bullshit. You sound like a SJW... but sorry you don't view yourselves like that. You're woke. That's a better term.

Oh sorry you don't "tag" yourself any "derogatory" term but want to say a fictional character gets "oversexualised".

Ans so what about the "flashy" things happening? In both instances it's just one overpowering the other.

Do you have a unique concept in mind for this too? Are you that woke that you've transcended human knowledge and found more flashy ways to present something flashy happening?

Our human imagination is bound by human concepts. Even how the curses look is how a person would imagine it to look. The author that is.

You argue or rather "respectfully decline" what is presented to you as nothing more than generic shounen anime. But yet here you are. Complaining about human concepts that won't change so long as we live in a 3D world on planet Earth where everything is known and nothing is unknown. There's no mystery left for you to explore since you've seen everything and anything else becomes cliché and a trope to you.

I won't change the way you think. I don't plan to and that's not my point.

I'm being sarcastic because that's the kind of comment you made. Worthy of sarcasm.

You're highlighting inane stuff.

That mundane and "generic" stuff you don't like exists everywhere in your life. And if you feel like that for a story I can't help but wonder how you view life.

Everything is generic to people like you. What's the point of living. Boohoo I'm so emo. (joking)
Oct 3, 2020 3:36 PM
Jan 2017
Nycro said:
Victimized said:

Yeah. From cancer. A truly slow death. Old age isn't a slow death. Or a heart attack because of old age. Or any minor thing that because you're old and fragile becomes even worse.
Oct 3, 2020 3:39 PM
Jan 2017
moodie said:
Nycro said:

so how many episodes did we need to see the grandpa slowly die? lol stop with this dumb ass criticism it isnt even relevant.

the grandpas purpose of the show was to give him a reason to fight and it worked. ur not supposed to get some deep backstory and watch him deteriorate.

Thank you. It's a story. It's not real life. We don't have to spend 10 chapters of grandpa dying. 10 chapters of grief. 30 chapters of overcoming that grief. And 10 chapters of moving on.

It doesn't need hours upon hours of exposure. You get the explanation and the reasoning in simple small scenes. Done.
Oct 3, 2020 5:47 PM
Jul 2020
I haven’t read the manga and have little to no clue how this anime is gonna run (cos i just saw the trailer and was immediately like “this actually looks good” lmao)

Grandpa passing away was kinda expected because i think that that will contribute largely to the character of the mc. His death was a contradiction to what he adviced itadori and that’s why itadori swallowed a whole ass cursed ass finger lmao.

The first episode definitely got me hooked on to the anime, it was enough to make me understand what kind of anime it is. It made me laugh and so and the op is clean af (also are we gonna ignore the panda parkouring on the top of the buildings??)
Oct 3, 2020 8:38 PM

Jul 2020
I was satisfied as someone who never read the manga which eventually I will. His drive to help his friends gave me a bleach vibe.
Oct 3, 2020 8:54 PM

May 2019
Honestly, I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this episode. To start this season, all the anime have been decently solid, but this took the cake so far; we still have a few promising premieres. I got Bleach/Mob Psycho vibes from both the nuances and storytelling, mixed with beautiful animation.

What's not to like? Really excited for this. Could honestly end up as AOTS (like I said, i'm jumping the gun obviously), and well, to me whatever ends up as AOTS will probably end up as AOTY, as I don't think I've given a score higher than 8 to an original anime this year yet.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Oct 3, 2020 9:00 PM
Jun 2020
shane_nichols said:
Justinian2324 said:

No, JJK and GOHS have the same director actually, Seong-Hu Park.

Also people need to stop comparing webtoon adaptations to any traditional anime made for the Japanese. All the webtoon adaptations are equally rushed 13 episode adaptations, and that was all because of Crunchyroll's decisions. These webtoon anime do not represent their directors' and studios' other works.

The 3 webtoon adaptations are American (Crunchyroll) funded products made for a non-Japanese audience. These webtoon adaptations got literally no marketing in Japan. Also most people in Japan never heard of webtoons. In Japan, there was never any hype for the 3 webtoon adaptations.

JJK is made for the Japanese and GOHS is made for foreigners. So the two should not be compared as they were made under very different cicumstances. JJK is Shonen Jump and it certainly won't be rushed like GOHS. But the next webtoon anime, Noblesse, certainly will be rushed like GOHS.
FxREEEOct 3, 2020 9:06 PM
Oct 3, 2020 9:25 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I was totally expecting the girl and guy from the occultism club to die. I mean, they kinda deserved it for being such pair of idiots but this said, now I wonder if there will be much death in this show.

Anyways, interesting start overall. Not really that impressive but let's see what this new SJ title can offer. Animation looks quite solid so far.
Oct 3, 2020 9:56 PM
Jul 2017
To me the first ep felt kind of jumbled up with not really a story that made sense but the action is really good. A good 3.5/5
Adster123Oct 3, 2020 10:01 PM
Oct 3, 2020 10:56 PM
Apr 2017
best first episode of the season along side Dragon Quest Dai
Oct 3, 2020 11:00 PM

Mar 2019
Weird how people don't like the character design. It looks fine to me. Is it inaccurate to the source material?
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2020

331 by Agathusian »»
May 22, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2021

352 by LuffyHammock94 »»
May 22, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Dominik_Fark - Jan 15, 2021

245 by Meowfti »»
May 20, 9:29 AM

» Mahito Spider Lillies Scene

daddymahitowo - Mar 17

7 by daddymahitowo »»
May 19, 10:14 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

643 by SharkysSSJ2 »»
May 19, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.