Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 11, 2013 9:40 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, this the first episode that I was sad to see end... I'm glad I waited 'til now to watch it, so I only have to wait a day. It's also the first episode I can say I thoroughly enoyed. I think this series is actually going the way I want it... no matter what complaints a lot of others have, if it's otherworldly devices and shit then I can definitely accept the Guillotine Gorilla. I only thought it was retarded due to expecting king Torture to be a regular human. While alien/space sci-fi wasn't what I was expected, it's much more believable this way. I hated this show to begin with, but after the Gorilla scene I just thought it would be something so bad it was good... now I'm legitimately starting to like where this is heading.

KanameFujiwara said:
Am I the only one imagining Mari to be gang raped and tortured. I know, I'm sick but this is my impression of that particular scene.
Nah, I could see it happening. Not that I "want" it to happen, but I do like a series to take unpredictable routes that go against what I want... it adds to the level of creative storytelling. And since I've always wanted Mari to be a main character... that kind of hardcore desecration would definitely be the opposite of what I hope. And even then it could be some extreme development for her, and if it doesn't destroy her mind, then she could become a way stronger character from it. I don't think it's sick though to simply consider the possibilities... it's actually a high possibility, if this series plans to take things all the way.
HalibelTheEspadaDec 11, 2013 9:44 AM
Dec 11, 2013 1:50 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Thread Cleaned.
Removed the posts that derailed the thread and some other spam posts. If you want to discuss things other than this episode, please use separate threads. For example here is one about the new characters.
Dec 11, 2013 6:47 PM

Mar 2008
It's been almost a week since the 9th episode has aired, and I've just now realised that the real King Torture is the show's director. He certainly did his best in gathering a very specific audience with the first 6 episodes of comedy and slice of life, only to bring up the twist which caused the masses, craving for entertainment, go all WTF. Marvellous! Brilliant! This makes you seriously question if the fact that all minions have "B" on their face masks, could really be a reference to /b/? LOL

One question I don't have a good answer to is how KT managed to capture Samurai Girl. I mean, even assuming that Konno did choose to live for entertainment and become a monster, how was he able to contact her? He shouldn't really have Mari's contact. Remember, she herself contacted Konno earlier that day, not the other way around. And the video in which Samurai Girl challenged King Toruture didn't seem to be filmed at Mari's home either - the floor was different, the walls were different, no those extra lights. The red sofa, chairs, their placement, and the red curtains sure were trying their best to make it very confusing, but unless the animators failed miserably, it didn't seem like Konno knew who exactly SG was and neither did he have Mari's contact details. So either she left him her SG contact information, or Konno actually spent time investigating SG and SF in the last months on his own and found out their identities. This could explain why he kept coupling those together when meeting or calling Ishihara earlier.

But did he really go against his original resolve to die with honour as a human? Didn't he even call his beloved Ishihara to propose to her and get rejected, so that he could have no regrets and die? Oh, if only she knew, how ironic and foreshadowing were her last words to him, "Die"! Because, if you carefully think about it, the truth here is that Konno had no real alternatives but to die. Either as a human at that very moment, or as a monster later with the Viva Torture scream, which essentially meant, even if metaphorically, dying as a human at that very moment too - monsters are no humans after all. So Konno wasn't really choosing between life and death, he was choosing between honour and entertainment.

And this seems to be the true theme of the entire show. It's the change in the society, which director has noticed and is communicating to us, by torturing us with the crazy twists. We only crave for entertainment. If something gets dull and boring, we ignore it. We ignore it and replace it with something entertaining. We stopped thinking how minor problems could be signs of something bigger, because it's boring. If someone finds solutions to tackle them here and now - great, otherwise we simply ignore them or accept them as part of our everyday life. We stopped thinking strategically. We let the evil reach the predetermind quota, the critical value. But then it will hit and blast big time.

And that's what I expect to see in the upcoming episode. There was so much death-related foreshadowing in ep. 9! For example, aside from Ishihara's "Die!", when the professor gives Masayoshi the DVD labeled 'Videos of King Torture Monsters (Explosion Deaths)', the camera stills at the word 'Deaths' full screen as if something bad really is approaching. In fact I do expect something major happening to Samurai Flamenco himself. Did you notice how the superhero figurine in Masayoshi's hands performs a seppuku? From wiki: "Part of the samurai bushido honor code, seppuku was used voluntarily by samurai to die with honor rather than fall into the hands of their enemies (and likely suffer torture)". Combine it with King Torture, Jouji's "You never know what could happen to you in the final episode" and the next ep preview on Hazama's screen '"You're the target." Tune in for the final episode!', and you'll get the picture.

I don't know if we end up with real deaths or the deaths are going to stay metaphorical - Samurai Flamenco and Samurai Girl dying as superheroes in the eyes of the citizens being unable to do anything. KT has everything to broadcast his torturing and SF's failure after all. Or will SF commit the seppuku to remain a superhero, to follow the samurai's honour code? My best bet is to rely on Kaname Jouji's name. Assuming he really is the main and key figure of the show, he might end up being the one who saves SF, SG, and the rest with his "Red Axe" comeback.
And there also must be a good reason to introduce four new characters to the show. So killing (not necessarily in a literal way) the main characters is a good opportunity for those to appear. Especially if their mission is to save the would-be superheroes. In this sense, Red Axe could be a great leader to them, since their names are literally translated as blue, green, black, and pink repsectively.

Well, that's ended up as too much speculation, I guess, and there's still so much I could keep writing about. It's amazing how many small hints and details were put into the whole series and especially in the last episode. Can't wait to see the next two episodes!
soulelleDec 11, 2013 6:51 PM
Dec 12, 2013 5:44 AM
May 2012
That torture likes BDSM to me...
Dec 13, 2013 7:15 AM

May 2012
11:21 Silvertime is mad!!

Ms Sumi <3
7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Dec 15, 2013 11:28 AM
Mar 2012
Weird.
Dec 16, 2013 6:03 PM

Jan 2013
Well, that was better than last episode. Actually sort of got into it during the kidnapping/torture scenes. Interested to see how far it will go.
Dec 20, 2013 9:35 PM

Nov 2012
Wow so, uh, aliens?
I was feeling really confused with how the first monster was so brutal but all these have been so silly. Seems that King Torture is interested in entertainment, so I guess everything kind of makes sense because hes just a villain that does whatever he wants and he was in the mood to create a silly sentai type world for a little while.
I keep thinking back to the episode with the gorilla when before the guy transforms he tries to take a pill of some sort. Looked like he was trying to take it to stop his transformation. Wonder if that means anything.
Slaine did nothing wrong.
Dec 31, 2013 3:00 PM

Jul 2011
Meh I still like it. : ) This episode was not the greatest and I am confused on how the series will go for that much longer but its still entertaining.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2014 5:54 AM

Jun 2011
I've put this show on hold since December but now that I came back here, ignoring the bad sudden twist at the end of episode 7, this episode was actually pretty damn enjoyable.

I liked the twist about that dude, but man his smile before the mid break, that was awesome XD Can't wait to see more of this.

And seriously, Goto's GF, tell us who is it already!!
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 1, 2014 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
Where is this going.. the creep/stalker and Flamenco Diamond captured and tortured.. I didn't saw this coming at all, anyway i'm sure it'll end in a stupid way like it was a show or something.
Feb 8, 2014 1:35 PM

Aug 2009
Aaand suddenly the anime got serious!!!

How the hell do you get undressed and then dressed up without noticing, you gotta be kidding me, Goto!!! DDX< Moe's face was too funny!!! XDD

Diamond is really pissing me off....Don't really care much about her! But Goto's reaction was to be expected! He's dragged into this superhero stuff by both of them and in the end accusing him of taking a side was a bit too much! >.>

The torture part was really surprising....didn't see that coming!!! T^T It's obvious that guy agreed to the entertainment! It's his life, I can say that for sure!!!!

Yay, the scientist got his time to shine!! :DD
Feb 12, 2014 8:24 AM

Nov 2012
I had different expectations of this anime but I kept watching even after the ridiculous supernatural theme was introduced..I don't really drop anime without trying to complete them or give another chance but this seems to be pointless..

King Torture's soldiers with ball mouth gags..
sad...
just sad...
Feb 27, 2014 2:51 AM

Jun 2008
So king Torture has alien type tech but feels like simply messing around with a dude in a town playing the hero? Not only that but he is absorbed in filling the villain role. Notice how he said in the phone that that is the climax of a superhero story and how the monsters where just the necessary procedure in superhero stuff.
It seems King Torture is really dedicated in just putting a show just for the sake of Samurai Flamengo.
This makes me thing that his grandpa may be involved considering he was the one that was initially obsessed with making his grandson a Samurai Flamengo hero etc.
Also the old scientist guy said something interesting about reality and what is happening which makes it obvious the makers of this show know what they did by suddenly throwing the crazy supernatural stuff and yet they have a certain reason for it.

Ramkec said:

Btw I find it funny (and quite suspicious) how Hazama's karate master always has to go somewhere when a fight is coming up lol.

I don't think it really is suspicious. I think the guy is just a coward that cares about his own safety and playing the hero as an actor where there is no real danger.
May 2, 2014 9:27 AM

May 2012
This sure is some intense development, I really hope they'll be okay!
Nov 27, 2014 11:35 AM
Oct 2014
Wow!*claps*
Last episode made many people drop this show, glad that I didn't.
Shit got real a Second time. Wild Ride from start to end.
Didn't like what happened to Masayoshi, though. Is he becoming arrogant or something? No wonder, Goto was pissed off. Liked that.
And sometimes I thought the newspaper guy was KT, but lol, I'm dumb. Shocked me to an extreme Seeing him like this. I don't think he betrayed them, somehow. Or did he? I'm so irritated, so much interesting shit! Looking forward to Flamenco Girl being saved!
Mar 25, 2015 7:02 PM

Feb 2013
Love how everyone is uninterested.

Wow. Mari wanted this to escalate and things escalated. I guess that one guy joined Torture and Mari looks like she's in trouble.

Onto to the next episode!
Apr 7, 2016 2:04 PM

Aug 2012
What's most interesting about this is that it's only 9 episodes in.
Aug 30, 2016 5:35 AM

Jul 2008
Just what is going on here, I thought the reporter would be the King guy but looks like I was wrong.

However it's playing out like a typical sentai series and yet something is off. Actual alien particles? the Final showdown in episode 10? Just WTF is going on...
Mar 30, 2017 9:30 AM

Jul 2013
I never liked the reporter but I didn't think he would be that garbage enough to actually betray Mari. Both of their torture scenes were pretty grim. I wonder if Mari is gonna shift perspectives once this is all over, if she even survives. I feel like someone is going to die next episode. This show's suddenly getting really serious and I'm on the edge of my seat now omg
Oct 11, 2017 8:06 AM

Nov 2016
Shit,Flamenco Diamond is in deep trouble.

Next episode is going to be exiting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 16, 2021 12:49 PM

Jul 2019
Ok, I haven't watched this in a minute, thought I should go back to it.

I am quite liking this chance in pace lmao, it mimics superhero stories so well. That guy who got captured sure knows his stuff, and the fact that Flamenco Diamond is bored of the monster stuff makes it even better than this show is so self-aware.

The final fight is coming so damn quick too, how tf will the last 12 eps last? Unless it will be a 13 part fight lmao.
Apr 24, 9:41 PM
May 2016
It was a good episode lots of action!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» This has to be one of the most misunderstood anime of all time, right?

lordgaara - Jun 16, 2023

7 by lordgaara »»
Jan 20, 7:49 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

181 by lordgaara »»
Jul 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

299 by lordgaara »»
May 25, 2023 12:12 AM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

105 by lordgaara »»
May 24, 2023 11:14 PM

Poll: » Samurai Flamenco Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2014

123 by Attackonfiller »»
Nov 21, 2022 11:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.