Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 6, 2019 3:47 AM

Dec 2015
@Apollo18 Sorry if I outraged you. The roman numbers are just a writing habit to abridge my notes in classes. As for the question, it was sincere and came from the fact I didn't understand what you meant by pretentious at the time.

Apr 7, 2019 3:39 PM

Aug 2009
Franz is an absolute mad lad. What a tweest.
Albert's scream at the end was heartbreaking. Personally could've done without the mecha battle (it somehow felt very out of place), but it was still a great episode. Can't believe Franz is gone...
Apr 10, 2019 9:36 PM
Apr 2019
Samu-tan said:
Franz is an absolute mad lad. What a tweest.
Albert's scream at the end was heartbreaking. Personally could've done without the mecha battle (it somehow felt very out of place), but it was still a great episode. Can't believe Franz is gone...

Despite the bitterness of the count, he would never kill Albert after his conversation with Mercedes he was willing to sacrifice himself not to kill the son of his ex-fiancee. but here he became a mere psychopath
Jul 26, 2019 6:02 AM

Jul 2008
Of course Franz sacrifices himself for his friend who never listens to his advice...
Jan 24, 2020 4:36 AM

Jan 2016
Apollo18 said:
Lol at people complaining about the mechs. I've been pretty luke-warm on this series from the start- the mechs were the best part of Gankutsuou for me (not that I'm into mechs, but at least *something* engaging was happening on the screen).

The art is nice, and the unique styling is... unique. I don't hate the styling/weird colouring in the seies- I feel like it could work in another context. But this show is so boring and pretentious, it just feels flowery and over-done.

Pretty much this. This has been the best episode so far. The show isnt even deep, the dialogue is all pretty standard. But they are speaking with French aristocrat "accents" so I guess that means this anime is for the big brained culture people only.

This anime has been a joke so far and really showing that the people rating it a 10 are the definition of dunning kruger brainletism.
Feb 17, 2020 3:06 PM

Aug 2016
Can't believe it, Franz :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2020 2:08 PM
May 2010
These purists whining about the book. Who gives a fucking shit? Don't like it, don't watch it. You'll still have your precious book even if this anime exists. Dumb-fucking-asses.
May 21, 2020 9:53 AM

Sep 2014
wait what he is 16?? Always thought they are all older. like mid 20s
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 7, 2020 10:45 AM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
I really enjoyed the CGI mecha fight. I didn’t think Franz would die making up for Albert’s mistake but it makes sense because Franz is always looking out for Albert until the very end. The mechs looked good to me and I enjoyed the finesse they had for an anime that came out 2004 I enjoyed myself and wasn’t repulsed. Rip Franz you were the best one in the show.
Jul 4, 2020 9:22 PM
Jan 2013
I adore this series and have been rewatching it several times. I’m still so bothered that the Count didn’t confirm who was inside, not to mention “Albert” (aka Franz) had no “second” present to witness his duel. After all, the Count’s servants and even Haydee were there.

You could wave it away by saying Gankutsuou made the Count rash but I wonder what he would do if he opened the grate after stabbing “Albert” only to find Franz. Was the Count willing himself to be so detached at that point to protect himself against second thoughts?

And... how the Count expressed no surprise after Albert seeks him out, etc. etc. Also why wasn’t the sword shard removed by Ali?! Honestly if I could fund Gonzo for an HD remaster with more episodes I would go broke to see it 😭

That and they demolished that park. Who’s gonna clean that up? Looks like NYC after New Years. Hopefully there’s a cleaning mech.
Oct 6, 2020 10:23 AM

May 2016
The mech fight was heart wrenching to see Franz losing his limbs one after another my eyes were full of tears, and it fell lose when he started recalling his past.

Rest in Peace friend you stayed true till the end.
Mar 29, 2021 8:41 AM

Oct 2008
This episode left me in mourning... I wish Franz would have told Albert his feelings ... That was heartbreaking.
Sep 23, 2021 8:16 AM

Aug 2020
Everyone is talking about Franz's death, but here I am thinking about how they fought in mechs... bruh.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Apr 1, 2022 8:47 AM

May 2021
That was a pretty solid mech fight. Not the best visually but the tone of the fight and the after-realization that its not actually Albert in the cockpit was quite chilling.

I'm just laughing at the stupidity of some of the people here who think mechs are out-of-place in a setting where people can travel light-years.

Apr 27, 2022 12:30 PM
Nov 2020
This was great episode and great death scene but one thing bug me. How come Albert's mom or the Count never figured out through his grunts that Albert wasn't piloting that machine?
Sep 3, 2022 8:55 PM

Jun 2020
Great episode. I found the whole Franz thing to be a bit predictable, but it was executed well. At first I was confused about the need to use those giant mechs, but now I understand. The series isn't as good as it was in the middle, but it's still fucking great nevertheless. The Protagonist's stupidity is starting to get to me. Franz died because of him. Fucking hell Albert, get your shit together.

Dec 29, 2022 10:46 AM

May 2020
The duel in mechs, really? Sadly it damaged the overall mood of this otherwise great and fairly emotional episode.
I see. Your only option is to revolutionize the world.
Jun 10, 2023 6:27 AM

Jan 2021
I didn't care about the mecha anymore because my body was already shaking, I swear, I had a feeling Franz would die but now I SEE him REALLY die? Fuck. That's the most shittiest shit ever. He was my favorite besides Maximilien.

I'm furious! If Albert is still in denial then he's crazy! If you think about it, the ones who betrayed Edmond Dantes were Albert's, Valentine's and Eugenie's father. So why did Franz die first?! Argh.

Why didn't the Count check who the mecha pilot was first? Also there's still a bit of time where the Count's servants see Albert running, which means they know that it's not Albert that the Count is going to kill. So how does it go now?

Aug 24, 2023 5:43 PM
Aug 2022
WTF?! What am I watching, mecha?! I hate mecha. 
Japan you've done it again sneaky bastard.
Aug 24, 2023 6:12 PM
Aug 2022
Franz was already a dipshit homo for giving his woman away and laughing with the woman thief instead of brawling, now that we see his unnecessary sacrifice and commitment I say he's as idiotic as Albert.

Fat French creator of these characters sucked at creating decent males, maybe he didn't want to overshadow the Count I don't know.

Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM
Dec 2023
RIP Franz, and my God, why coudn`t they stick with good old hand-to-hand combat instead of this bad CGI
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Peppo

Metty - Apr 30, 2010

14 by SpiralProgress »»
May 22, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TuzoAnime - Jun 13, 2008

173 by stationry »»
Apr 19, 9:36 AM

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.