Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 25, 2013 6:06 PM
Dec 2011
It was a decent watch for an hour. I gave it a 8/10 due to the animation being superb. Otherwise it would have been a 7/10 to me. I enjoyed it I just didn't connect to it on an emotional level. I didn't care about the well being of the characters.

It seems as though I am one of the few that didn't like the plot twist. It just felt I dunno cheap or gimmicky probably isn't that word for it. I guess forced maybe is the best I can come up with. It just felt as if the creator decided it needed a big plot twist when he was like halfway done with it. So it just felt forced or not natural to me.

On a side note is it just me or do anime movies seem to be getting shorter. It seems as though I have watched a few of these hour long movies. And I can't say that I am a fan of that.
Dec 27, 2013 3:51 AM

Mar 2013
I expected no less from the studio who brought us SNK 10/10. that's what I call a PLOT TWIST!
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Dec 27, 2013 6:59 AM

Jul 2010
That movie was very emotional.I feel depressed ;.;

I really loved the music part , at the end of movie..

9/10
Dec 28, 2013 2:56 AM

Nov 2012
holy damn!
such a beautiful movie.. got 9 from me :'
almost speechless while watching this anime
the art is good.. the story is perfect..
and.. WHY I DONT REALIZE IT!
I should know since the beginning that the robot will became kurumi.. the old man really down while get a phonecall.. that must be haru.. and the one on the plane is kurumi.. why I'm not realize it?!
such beautiful movie.. :""
so much feeling.. :'
Dec 28, 2013 3:05 PM

Mar 2010
Man I loved this movie. So heart tearing it was at the end though, that twist.. Oh man. That got my tears flowing. Gave it a 10/10 for its uniqueness and sweet story 'n romance.
Dec 28, 2013 6:44 PM

Jul 2009
Good Movie overall... but

I am wondering why is everyone keep saying HAL was the robot and not Kurumi?
I mean if you watched the whole movie its clear that HAL Was the human who did not die from the plane explosion after he suddenly got the Flashback of him on the airport seeing Kurumi going into the plane that afterwards turned into a ball of flame at the near end of the movie....

But still at the moment all the synopsis for the movie and background info on the character said's that HAL is QO1 the robot... even the current reviews im reading saids HAL is the robot >_> lol
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Dec 29, 2013 1:05 AM

Aug 2013
The animation was beautiful. I was reminded of "Chihayafuru" many a times.
I just love the character designs for Shoujos and Joseis.

The twist caught me completely off-guard. It was a good thing I never read the manga and I pretty much knew nothing of this film going in.
Dec 29, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2011
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:
mayukachan said:
Forgetful00 said:
All the anime endings I saw today made no sense to me, first beyond the boundary and then this.
Gosh, my head aches just trying to figure things out.

What did you not understand? I mean, after the twist, it was pretty self explanatory to me.

I know, I understood everything after the plot twist, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
They did a poor job setting a up, the first 5-7mins and the last 15mins don't make any sense at all.

Hm... I'm a little confused. Could someone explain the beginning to me where they show the grandpa telling Q01 to become "him", and then at the end they did a flashback where the grandpa tells Q01 to become "her"? That's what I'm confused about... I understood everything, except the beginning dialogue.

Thanks~

[EDIT] "Robot therapy": Was the beginning scene where the grandpa told Q01 to become "him" just what Haru thought happened because he went through that robot therapy?
funkotakuDec 29, 2013 9:53 PM
Dec 30, 2013 3:54 AM

Aug 2012
OriginANIME said:
Hm... I'm a little confused. Could someone explain the beginning to me where they show the grandpa telling Q01 to become "him", and then at the end they did a flashback where the grandpa tells Q01 to become "her"? That's what I'm confused about... I understood everything, except the beginning dialogue.

Thanks~

[EDIT] "Robot therapy": Was the beginning scene where the grandpa told Q01 to become "him" just what Haru thought happened because he went through that robot therapy?

Gramps used a neutral term for 'that person', so it was the translator's discretion that made it a 'him' at the start and 'her' at the end.
Dec 31, 2013 12:16 AM

Jun 2009
I've read the manga at least 3 times in the past 6 months as a way of preparing myself for this movie, but seeing the plot twist animated got me really bad ;_;

It was a really pretty movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Especially the voice acting; I didn't expect to hear Mamo-chan there omg.
Dec 31, 2013 4:13 PM

Dec 2013
Amazing movie! 10/10
The art was really breathtaking.
Can someone please tell me what Hal and his friend exactly do? like in that flashback when a robot pushed Hal into the water? I didn't get that part :/
Was it part of what he does to get out of debt?
Jan 1, 2014 7:09 PM

Oct 2011
OMG dat plot twit. I didn't expect that T___T

YuushaEmilia90 said:
Amazing movie! 10/10
Can someone please tell me what Hal and his friend exactly do? like in that flashback when a robot pushed Hal into the water? I didn't get that part :/

The flashback. They were getting those hearts ( memories) for the robots.
They sold androids to get out of debt. TwT
Jan 1, 2014 8:39 PM

Sep 2013
It just didn't resonate for me the whole thing seemed kind of off key so I won't give more than a 6 :/
Jan 2, 2014 12:29 AM

Aug 2012
Dammm that twist at the end got me, good movie 8/10.
Jan 2, 2014 7:30 AM

Dec 2013
AnimeFan500 said:

YuushaEmilia90 said:
Amazing movie! 10/10

how many hearts were there in the movie? didn't the broken one originally belong to Hal and the real Kurumi?
Jan 2, 2014 9:47 AM

Aug 2011
would have been more "complete" if it was longer, now it kind of feels like an hour wasted, though a good one. feels like a 'Hotarubi no Mori e' wannabe, and a poorly executed one. If it wasn't for the voice acting and plot twist, it would be a pretty plain and average romance anime.

7/10
Jan 3, 2014 9:40 AM

Oct 2011
YuushaEmilia90 said:
AnimeFan500 said:

YuushaEmilia90 said:
Amazing movie! 10/10

how many hearts were there in the movie? didn't the broken one originally belong to Hal and the real Kurumi?

Two?
Hal's broken one and Kurumi. Which she used to get Hal memories back.
Jan 3, 2014 3:39 PM
Jul 2013
Very nice story. The colorful animation, OST, everything was beautiful.
Jan 4, 2014 8:46 AM
Aug 2011
yesh what bugged me most were the whole suddenly believing he was a robot thing and the whole kurumi's body being perfectly intact after the crash.

but man, that robot can sure act =P though i don't get what that camera thing was about. at one point they said it was hal's heart that his parents bought him, but it seems like a normal camera plus sometimes kurumi's the one using it.... dunno, i just didnt get it =P

but other than that, loved the plot twist. i was getting kinda confused why they were hiding Hal's death from the whole town, even his friend. and how the "robot" hal was so quick to deleope feelings and how quick kurumi was to accept him... all part of a bigger plan.

octobrr said:

Did he move on from her death in the end? Because after he commented on the food, he called out Kurumi's name.

he's probably taking the old guy's advice about how when people die they're still with you, and you can still talk to them
Jan 4, 2014 5:54 PM

Oct 2012
A great movie but I didnt see that ending coming
Jan 4, 2014 7:16 PM

Aug 2012
The moment he was punched to the ground and saw the blood, i was like: wait, robots don't bleed... and then it hit me. What a plot twist. 8/10

Also this is why i am never calm when i'm on the airplane. Even when the pilot does his checks and see if everything works, there's always a chance that it will go horribly wrong and you're thousand feet in the air when it happens...
Jan 6, 2014 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
Didn't expect that plot twist.O_o
That was a good movie and ending's song was nice.

Jan 7, 2014 5:13 AM

Jul 2010
At first, I was against the concept of replacing your loved one with a robot, but as the film progressed it was kind of liking it. It had some interesting ideas.

But then the plot twist happened.

That twist killed this movie. It made everything beforehand make no sense whatsoever. So he became so shocked by her death that he loses his memory and thinks he's a robot? Wh... what? If the robot is suppose to help "heal" him, why did she spent most of the time cooped up in her room crying? How exactly does that help him? And robot therapy? Are you high? Wouldn't it have been easier to just make it so that he believes he's not a robot and that she's still alive, so they live a normal life. I mean, from the looks of it, the robot got her personality and memories down perfectly, and in the state he was in I'd doubt he'd notice (At least not until he finds out the truth, but that would actually lead to a much more interesting movie.) or HELL, just be straight with him, then we'd have the same movie just with the roles reversed, and then the idea of selling the robot would've been a lot more interesting. Also, seeing his loved one die traumatizes him, but seeing her die again right in front of his eyes supposedly makes him feel better? In what fuck up world does that make even a lick of sense? How the hell does any of this teach him to move on with his life?

"I hope Hal finds the will to live." After the shit he's been through, I highly doubt it.

Not to mention it's absolutely unnecessary and felt tacked on for the sake of having a plot twist. There was really no reason to have a twist of any kind in this movie. The film was better when it was telling a simple romance between a girl and a robot. And it wasn't even a surprising twist, either. The idea crossed my mind, but I didn't actually think they'd be dumb enough to actually use it.

All in all, it's an okay movie ruined by a dumb twist. I haven't read the manga so I don't know how it compares to that, but I just didn't like this movie.
Jan 8, 2014 8:42 AM

Sep 2012
Omg I wasn't ready for this

In the beginning I thought that this movie was just dumb, but after this plot twist, it became an amazing movie
O importante não é o que fazemos de nós, mas o que nós fazemos daquilo que fazem de nós
Jan 14, 2014 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
That robot therapy is kind of cruel when you send someone identical which you've lost
Some things can't be replaced by money
It was a very nice romantic story with gorgeous animation/soundtrack supporting it
Rubic cube helped the story rolling

The twist at the end really caught me off guard it made sense all along, since Kurumi didn't ate the meal Hal made fer her at all
Jan 21, 2014 12:29 PM

Jul 2011
KiraMustDie said:
Also, seeing his loved one die traumatizes him, but seeing her die again right in front of his eyes supposedly makes him feel better? In what fuck up world does that make even a lick of sense? How the hell does any of this teach him to move on with his life?

This! HOW would that possibly heal him!?!?
It's not like he even made amends/ fixed his regrets before Kurumi's death!

The plot twist was surprising, but the story and everything else sucked.

I wish it focused on HAL realizing he wasn't a robot instead. Such as subtle hints, scars, etc that he notices and starts questioning. The twist had no build up...

HAL's backstory would be OK in a longer series, but I don't understand why they tried to do it within the 1 hour. Obviously it wouldn't be well explored. Not to mention it's just a really awkward past to have, especially in a series like this. It didn't fit the world that it was set in. ALSO. That ending was just stupid. Way too stupid.

The original idea that the synopsis promised was much better. I would have just preferred Kurumi to have gotten over HAL through Q01. But... guess not. The ending was crap. Utter crap.

Disappointed at this. I was hoping for the synopsis. >___<

EDIT: Just read the manga for it. Seems like the movie cut out a couple of subtle, but important parts that allowed the ending to make a little more sense.
MirorinJan 21, 2014 12:58 PM
Jan 22, 2014 10:03 PM

Nov 2013
My immediate impression when this twist at the end was revealed was that they were both robots by that point. First HAL, but then, after drowning, Kurumi being replaced too, by a robot, because the robot HAL was so human and was suffering that the old man wanted to make them both happy in this way. That's probably not how it really ended, but that was the impression I got, seeing Kurumi in the coffin. A drowning victim, maybe, but not enough remains from a plane crash.

Loved the film, overall. The Japanese are starting to think about robot ethics alot in anime now. Anime in the 21st century, after all.
Jan 24, 2014 4:17 PM

Aug 2013
basspig said:
Loved the film, overall. The Japanese are starting to think about robot ethics alot in anime now. Anime in the 21st century, after all.

If you're interested in watching another anime film about robots, I highly recommend "Eve no Jikan", or "Time of Eve" as it is known in English.
Jan 26, 2014 11:11 AM

Jul 2008
OMG, I actually started crying at the end, I wasn't expecting that ending at all ;_;
Jan 26, 2014 1:03 PM

Mar 2012
It was far from a "shocker" plot twist, I thought something was off when she never once recalled any moments besides the ones in that "button". It was also weird that for a supposed robot, Hal was receiving IV treatments directly into his body like that. When the plane exploded and the grandfather fainted, it was a little weird to me that her grandfather would respond like that without thinking it was a blood relative, so there was that too.

The final bit, which I don't think I can dispute considering people respond to situations differently, was that I found it hard to believe she opened to the idea of a robot Hal so easily, while watching it I thought it was really weak how she so quickly became accepting of that. It's because of this I'm actually happy that the plot went a different direction, because I just couldn't get over this at all :|

All and all was a good watch, 8/10

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 27, 2014 7:31 AM

Mar 2008
HunterHearts said:
would have been more "complete" if it was longer, now it kind of feels like an hour wasted, though a good one. feels like a 'Hotarubi no Mori e' wannabe, and a poorly executed one. If it wasn't for the voice acting and plot twist, it would be a pretty plain and average romance anime.

7/10

no, just no.
they both differ A LOT if you ask me

I enjoyed the film, but it was too short (they could have expanded on his past etc.). I also absolutely loved the animation and music.

KiraMustDie said:
Also, seeing his loved one die traumatizes him, but seeing her die again right in front of his eyes supposedly makes him feel better? In what fuck up world does that make even a lick of sense? How the hell does any of this teach him to move on with his life?

definitely agree with you here. that's also what bothered me..
afterwards he just acted like everything was alrighty again =-=
generally I'm not fond of the whole robot therapy idea
Vanessa-Jan 27, 2014 7:38 AM
Feb 5, 2014 8:06 AM
Dec 2013
That big twist.............totally wasn't expecting that. But, it was a decent movie overall......liked it....not loved it
You are confined only by the walls you build yourself
-Andrew Murphy
Feb 12, 2014 7:44 PM

Nov 2012
If only I hadn't been spoiled then the reveal/plot twist would have left more of an impact.The scene itself was pretty emotional though.Good movie 7/10.
Feb 13, 2014 10:00 AM

Mar 2013
This movie went out pretty nice for its start. I liked the plot twist at the end, but they should have included more clues to that earlier on, to think back to and rely on after you know the twist. So it seemed kinda random. I also like the setting: girl being a educated citizen and boy being a thief to pay of his debts and it all plays in a kinda futur, but the movie did a few things wrong there. First: The past of the 2 main characters was too less shown to the audience, especially impotant would have been, where they have met, what similarities do they have to become friends ( like this it more seems like they are rather only physical attrackted to each other than have real feelings for one another). What they did in the past : Her being a normal kid in school only to see it, and how he became a thief and what he does as a thief (what does he steal, how is his relation to his thieffriend?)
But the charactieristics of each character was way too less made clear anyway. What hobbies do they have, what motivations?
Another thing they should have included is a more futurtisitc surroundings. In the town everything looks just like as if it would be some random slice-of-life romance anime even though it place in the futur. Im ok with not makeing it a cyber robot town but some insertions more would have been nice.
With including those points i would say that a nice 2 hour movie could have been accomplished.

I would give the anime a 6/10, even though the characters werent made that well they didnt annoy me that much, art was ok, soundtrack ok, and setting and twist made a ok story even with its misstakes.
Feb 19, 2014 10:12 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty Good Movie.....

7.5/10
Feb 23, 2014 3:10 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Some tear was about to leave, a film that will not be a masterpiece but largely achieved its purpose.
You could do better? Yes, but perfection does not exist.
For me it was nice to follow. I was excited and it was nice to follow it with their eyes than your ears.
The greater his sinneth? The weather, too few of those sixty minutes, it took more time and detractors would have had those questions that have not been given over to give greater emotional impact, through the knowledge of the characters.
However, the technique is beautiful and also the graphics. The sound I found it delicious on my part, although I read a lot of criticism from many users.
Final rating of 9/10!
P.S. Perhaps with a more impartial critics would have had 8/10, but I liked it too! XD
Feb 25, 2014 5:09 AM

Jan 2008
The art is no doubt gorgeous. I love the art style and color scheme. However, this movie kinda felt short. It would have been good if they've showed more for the couple's back story, e.g. their first meeting, etc. This movie is not the best out there but I say, it is good overall. The twist made the story interesting. 7/10
Mar 11, 2014 12:04 AM

Jun 2010
I don't know, I think it's a little pat that Hal has the exact specific traumatic reaction that made the twist possible. Maybe it could have something to do with how he was forced to do dangerous work instead of robots, but I don't think that's developed enough for that to really work.

Putting the robot in a man's hat and tie in the opening scene was a good misdirection though, and I wonder if "kyuichi" (Q-1) might sound a bit like a man's name to a Japanese audience, but I can't be sure.
Mar 13, 2014 3:54 AM
Jul 2018

The twist. Ohmy. Never thought of that.
Mar 14, 2014 5:27 PM

Jul 2013
being beat up is the best way to regain memories
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2010
7 out of 10 for the last 10 minutes ~
Apr 16, 2014 7:17 AM

Aug 2013
Honestly the twist threw my feelings around in a bad way. I noticed those little things like the button recording the inside of the plane crashing early in the movie and why she had the button then or not eating the food, but I didn't think much of it until that river scene.

I still had the feels though. It was enjoyable.
Apr 21, 2014 4:56 AM

Aug 2013
7/10 ending sorta pissed me off...
Apr 24, 2014 2:42 PM

Oct 2013
It was kinda boring for me 6/10

May 9, 2014 1:05 PM

Jul 2009
I loved this movie! I didn't expect that plot twist and it kinda made me sad... The art was beautiful and the voice actors did a brilliant job!! :)
May 9, 2014 4:39 PM

May 2012
01:07 what are you?

20:17 roboto no doriimu?

45:18 byebear

46:49 WUT??

59:48 =(((

7/10 for this aniei.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 20, 2014 2:01 AM

Oct 2012
this movie. soo sad

bitter sweet ending.

Yoko Hikasa <3
May 21, 2014 3:20 AM

Apr 2013
I like that plot twist in the end. But when it comes to robot therapy A.I gets the prize.
May 25, 2014 5:36 PM

Apr 2011
Mind. Blown.
I was LIKE "what the.....? hu? oh. oh! OHHHHHHH! OH MY GAWD, HE'S THE ROBOT!"

Great plot twist. Pity the art had it's moments; sometimes it was good while other times it was flat. Also, I didn't get Haru's past with his friend? Maybe the manga explains it more?

Anyway, good little movie with a very memorable shock-factor.

7/10
May 28, 2014 2:17 PM

Dec 2013
Did not see the that plot twist coming at all.

Whats my age again? WHERE IS MY ASIAN FRIEND!!!!!!!
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Worth watching?

adityasingh2705 - Jul 14, 2021

7 by wiiztec »»
Apr 25, 2023 3:52 AM

» Plot twist [Spoler]

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 12, 2021

3 by SlammyHammy »»
May 19, 2022 9:10 PM

» I think I didn't understand the final, explain me please

b1GZZ - Dec 31, 2013

14 by aydentheweeb »»
Mar 7, 2021 1:07 PM

» Hal - Subbed or Dubbed?

tayssi - Mar 3, 2016

5 by JNSky »»
Dec 13, 2018 5:51 AM

» First 8 Minutes of the film is out!

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2013

16 by Lyyu »»
Nov 19, 2013 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.