Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 17, 2013 5:20 AM

Apr 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
Why can't more people be so smart? The quality would improve greatly.
I'm guessing that the audience wanted quantity over quality.
Mar 17, 2013 7:24 AM

Apr 2009
Consistent releases are a great advantage when it comes to market penetration, so I can understand the business concept behind it. More market penetration means better awareness of the brand/label/franchise which increases the chance to sell merch, etc.
However, fans are instrumentalized for the sake of maximazing profit by these companies when they could achieve not the same quantity, but still a fairly reasonable profit without alienating fans. AFAIK Black Lagoon and Bleach still sell well without a current aniem airing and I don't see a reason why long running Shounen shouldn't adapt a concept similar to many 2-cour series in the past years, e.g. a 1-cour break, 1-cour episodes without fillers, etc.

We can be glad that jojo took so long to get a faithful adaption starting from PB, as the part structure, the massive amount of material and the cour approach ensure higher quality and better pacing - IF they do not try to squeeze in too much in later parts that is (Parts 4 - 6 will be hard to adapt with an unflexiable system, I can see all of them working out 3-cour, but this will surely cause pacing issues).
NidhoeggrMar 17, 2013 7:32 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 17, 2013 7:44 AM
Sep 2012
Nilvius said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Why can't more people be so smart? The quality would improve greatly.
I'm guessing that the audience wanted quantity over quality.

A superior race would want both. And it's not impossible to get it.

Long running anime being seasonal makes for a very magi anime. We don't want that.

Black Lagoon was like, short...so...yeah...
Mar 17, 2013 5:46 PM

Aug 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
HurricaneSweet said:
^ Not really, Magi and Exorcist are all screwed and they are seasonal

Long anime should do it like Bleach, wait for the manga or something

I mean, seasonal without filler. Can't really blame the series for being adapted by the idiots from A-1 who have SERIOUS problems with action shows lately.
Black Lagoon did it right. Even the staff behind Bleach and Fairy Tail are thinking about it and decided to pause it until there is enough material again. Why can't more people be so smart? The quality would improve greatly.

lawl the two shounen shows I could care less about *sigh*

seriously a pause kills no one...except for Haruhi, which a pause meant the dumbest directing mistake in the history of anime.
Mar 17, 2013 7:51 PM

Apr 2009
HurricaneSweet said:

[... ...] We don't want that.
Well, obviously I'd prefer the quality route, e.g. like what they're doing with Gintama but from what I can see, they're still going to keep at it simply because there is a demand for it. Look at Pokemon.

It can't be helped.
Mar 23, 2013 12:37 PM
Sep 2011
Nilvius said:
HurricaneSweet said:

[... ...] We don't want that.
Well, obviously I'd prefer the quality route, e.g. like what they're doing with Gintama but from what I can see, they're still going to keep at it simply because there is a demand for it. Look at Pokemon.

It can't be helped.

People always want quantity over quality. I mean look at the amount of series that have great endings that fully wrap up everything(Death Note, Steins Gate, Code Geass) and the first things you will hear fans say is "season 2".

I personally like Jojo a lot, because it doesn't fall into the trap a lot of other Shonen do of taking itself too seriously.
For example look at Sword Art Online, that show tries to be really serious all the time, however it only harms the show because that means when they do introduce something silly(like randomly giving Kirito the ability to hack the system out of no were, or giving him some super laser attack that kill all enemies blocking his path that he could have used 20 minutes ago and saved an overlong fight scene) it is immediatly noticable and pulls you out of the experience.
Jojo is world of men who make magic bubbles and vampires that turn into Raptors, you don't question it because it doesn't exist in the same world of logic we do, and it makes the incredibly clear.
Juusan13 said:

At the same time, these abilities make the fights really creative, as every fight is won by using tactics and outsmarting the enemy, the Stand users have to come up with tricks and different strategies to overcome the enemy, who is also using different tricks and tactics, as Dio says in Stone Ocean "There is no such thing as a weak stand", since it depends on how the user fights,

Juusan13 said:

as Dio says in Stone Ocean "There is no such thing as a weak stand", since it depends on how the user fights,

Juusan13 said:

as Dio says in Stone Ocean

*Spits out drink*
edl01Mar 23, 2013 1:08 PM
Jul 10, 2014 11:09 AM
Dec 2013
The chodes and shitfest in this thread quickly reminds me why MAL arguments and threads in general will always be cancer
Jul 27, 2014 8:08 AM
Dec 2013
x5exotic said:
@Nidhoegger, first your idea of equivalency is off. JJBA isn't LotR and One Piece is NOTHING like ASOIAF.

JJBA hasn't inspired nearly as many as DBZ, not sure what's the book equivalent of Jojo but it isn't LotR.

OP is simple and straightforward and while Asoiaf is complex and isn't all black and white, and has a lot of hiatuses (easier to see the resemblance now). OP would be Harry Potter or the Hunger Games

Second, so your problem is that I'm downplaying the influence of it. I only said that while it is indeed inspirational, there are still newer series with bigger influence on BIGGER series. Like Hunter x Hunter. Maybe even One Piece and Naruto subsequently.

Third, hiatuses might have affected popularity and the momentum of it, as well as the art (which is redrawn) but it doesn't affect the quality. Also Togashi's longest run is 30 chapters (the latest batch) so he's always been lazy, you all make it out like it started recently when it was even bigger before.

4. We get it, you read the manga, but it doesn't matter.
We're talking about how this anime should be inspiring all newer shonen right now, and I'm saying it shouldn't :/

Roronoa_Zoro_Fan said:
" This, THIS right here is how Shounen should be done "

NO, i prefer my One Piece over JoJo crap anyday

and there are already Macho 'Over the Top' freak shonens out there (Toriko & Fist Star) both utterly Mediocre

OP has the same faults as Jojo and even more, so no. Though since the story is much longer there's bound to be a segment of the story that is better. But there's not much of a diff.

You're a fucking tasteless idiot-don't ever post again
Jul 27, 2014 4:09 PM

Apr 2009
Jojo has extremely lazy writing. To create suspension of disbelief a work of fiction builds up a set of rules for it's universe. Jojo doesnt really set up any rules and the ones it does set up are often broken. Bleach is another example of breaking it's worlds logic. One piece is set in a really wacky over the top world, but the physics within that world stay consistent. Watching Jojo is like watching a kid play with his action figures, whatever they feel like making the characters do they do it. Some people probably find that appealing though. But yeah characters will just yell whatevers happening, objects will just appear to help the plot move forward, extreme coincidences happen all the time, and you get certain scenes that just drag on and on while the characters over describe stuff. Personally Jojo is the least enjoyable anime I've seen, but I'll finish it up because there are some good things about it.
Jul 29, 2014 9:38 AM
Dec 2013
WyattEarp said:
Jojo has extremely lazy writing. To create suspension of disbelief a work of fiction builds up a set of rules for it's universe. Jojo doesnt really set up any rules and the ones it does set up are often broken. Bleach is another example of breaking it's worlds logic. One piece is set in a really wacky over the top world, but the physics within that world stay consistent. Watching Jojo is like watching a kid play with his action figures, whatever they feel like making the characters do they do it. Some people probably find that appealing though. But yeah characters will just yell whatevers happening, objects will just appear to help the plot move forward, extreme coincidences happen all the time, and you get certain scenes that just drag on and on while the characters over describe stuff. Personally Jojo is the least enjoyable anime I've seen, but I'll finish it up because there are some good things about it.

Stands are a pretty consistent set of rules and abilities. Also, the reason why doesn't it bother to be consistent;y logical is because it doesn't want to be consistently logical. It's crazy dumb fun from beginning to end, and I find it infinitely more entertaining than any of the examples you gave.
Jul 30, 2014 7:30 PM

Apr 2009
sjack said:
WyattEarp said:

Stands are a pretty consistent set of rules and abilities. Also, the reason why doesn't it bother to be consistent;y logical is because it doesn't want to be consistently logical. It's crazy dumb fun from beginning to end, and I find it infinitely more entertaining than any of the examples you gave.

Well stands are a part of part 3 and on. Haven't got there yet and honestly I kind of have to force myself to get through this one. You're right it's crazy dumb fight after crazy dumb fight, there's no variety and it honestly gets really old fast for me. No substance no character depth, choppy as fuck animation, but the colour schemes are awesome.
Jul 31, 2014 8:26 AM
Dec 2013
WyattEarp said:
sjack said:

Well stands are a part of part 3 and on. Haven't got there yet and honestly I kind of have to force myself to get through this one. You're right it's crazy dumb fight after crazy dumb fight, there's no variety and it honestly gets really old fast for me. No substance no character depth, choppy as fuck animation, but the colour schemes are awesome.

Are you on Battle Tendency? Because Phantom Blood is widely considered to be the worst one (even though I enjoyed it). As for the choppy animation, yeah I agree, but it was made on a very low budget and it kind of makes it up for me with style. And if you come in with the expectations of substance and depth to this series, then you'll be continuously disappointed-this is guilty pleasure, not EVA.
Jul 31, 2014 11:40 PM

Apr 2009
sjack said:
WyattEarp said:

Are you on Battle Tendency? Because Phantom Blood is widely considered to be the worst one (even though I enjoyed it). As for the choppy animation, yeah I agree, but it was made on a very low budget and it kind of makes it up for me with style. And if you come in with the expectations of substance and depth to this series, then you'll be continuously disappointed-this is guilty pleasure, not EVA.

Yep I look for substance in any show I watch, over the top shows can still do that. TTGL, KLK, one piece, GTO, even gintama are able to pull that off. And yeah I'm on battle tendency ep 16, it's better then Phantom Blood but not by that much. It does have a cool style in terms of colour schemes, but I'm not a fan of the character designs, don't like the style of them, everybody is just ridiculously jacked there's no variety.
Aug 1, 2014 12:29 AM

Dec 2012
Artorias said:
Damn am I ever enthralled by this show. The charm, the wittiness of the dialog, the outstandingly written characters and quite decent story

Surely you jest.

*checks the rest of the post*

Yeah you are.
Aug 1, 2014 7:28 AM
Dec 2013
WyattEarp said:
sjack said:

Yep I look for substance in any show I watch, over the top shows can still do that. TTGL, KLK, one piece, GTO, even gintama are able to pull that off. And yeah I'm on battle tendency ep 16, it's better then Phantom Blood but not by that much. It does have a cool style in terms of colour schemes, but I'm not a fan of the character designs, don't like the style of them, everybody is just ridiculously jacked there's no variety.

I find the ridiculously muscular characters to be hilarious due to how to cartoonish they behave, despite having more realistic designs:

Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2013

251 by titty »»
May 4, 5:06 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nidhoeggr - Nov 30, 2012

210 by crumb_fr »»
May 2, 7:48 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2013

166 by JohnZ_GGs »»
May 2, 1:16 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KiraYoshikage - Jan 11, 2013

160 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 28, 12:33 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nidhoeggr - Jan 4, 2013

158 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 25, 12:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.