Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Is DN overrated?
Sep 6, 2007 7:22 AM

Jul 2007
I maybe the only one, but I think Death Note is definetly overrated.
Don't understand me wrong DN is good, but not as good to cause such a hype.

IMO the mafia arc was really boring and Near & mello aren't by far such a good oponent like L. The end was also really bad. I mean DN was a really original anime, but the end is standard.
Thats a big part which isn't good at all.

Most of DN is better that, but I won't forget the bad sides of DN and consider it as the best anime. There are better Animes.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 6, 2007 7:34 AM

Mar 2007
DN is definitely overrated.
Sep 6, 2007 7:38 AM

Jun 2007
IMO DN isnt overrated at all, i wouldnt call DN the best anime ever tho.
the ending was bad i agree, but i dont think there is other ending possible. about Mello and Near erm actually i wanted to see more of them... specially Mello's story

Sep 6, 2007 7:50 AM

Jul 2007
I totally agree with ashura
Death Note is VERY well thought out and deserves to be up there
...but not UP THERE. I think maybe like top 10 anime, but not #1.

The characters and the whole concept of the story is very smart and clever, you don't see such genious abilities in much anime. So a lot of people give it a 10. It's also very popular, and the majority of people would give death note a 10, putting it to #1.

I think Death Note is a great anime, but it's not one that I'd ever obsessed over :P
Sep 6, 2007 8:14 AM

Jan 2007
for any anime with a lot of hype, there will be many who will consider it "overrated" So for sure you arent the only one. Personally, i cringe everytime i see the manga and anime in the #1 spot in the top lists, so yeah, i thinks it overrated, but at the same time, i understand why its there.
Sep 6, 2007 8:22 AM

Aug 2006
Not overrated. I actually liked the ending. I liked Near... and Mello (although, not near as much as L). The only thing throughout that entire series that I could have done w/o was the period where Light/Misa were imprisoned... and Light was attached to L with a chain. **rolls eyes** Other than that... it was perfect, IMHO
Sep 6, 2007 8:28 AM

Oct 2006
Faust721 said:
Personally, i cringe everytime i see the manga and anime in the #1 spot in the top lists, so yeah, i thinks it overrated, but at the same time, i understand why its there.

Ditto. I thought Death Note was excellent until episode 26 or so. The entire segment with Near and Mello was lame and badly executed. They aren't inspiring at all, and Light's character really drops off too after they're introduced. Especially in the end... wasn't he supposed to be smart?
Sep 6, 2007 8:52 AM
Apr 2007
I dropped DN after 10 eps it was prety much OK but nothing got me obsessed with it.It just didn't live up to the hype I could have watched more but I don't know just didn't feel like watching more.
And of course just when I dropped it I started hearing about the great plot twists.
Sep 6, 2007 9:53 AM

Mar 2005
to me after a while all the schemes seemed too unbelievable. there's a limit to how far you can predict your opponent's moves, and in a real chess game what you do is you create multiple plans to counter every alternative your opponent can throw at you. in death note this is kinda cheated because out of the many paths Light/L/Mello/Near could have chosen, they always guess the correct path (or nearly correct) without any doubt.Rrather than consider the alternatives, they completely blow off their possibilities, so the believability of this series decreased significantly after L managed to track down the possibility that Kira is Light.

of course, ppl are willing to overlook unbelievability in the name of entertainment (just look at Sunrise) but I believe in a series that's supposed to be built on logic and intelligence like Death Note, believability is rather more important.
Sep 6, 2007 9:58 AM

Jul 2007
Light was smart, but he was arrogant. That was the most redeeming part of the series, light was a good 'tragic hero'.

I still think it's overrated though...

And unbelievable strategies are fun, though I've never seen believable ones either, I wonder if it would be even more fun....

I ... too much :(

For the record, death note is around #18-22 on my list, and I've only seen 80 or so series, I gave it a 7/10. So I think that it would be more deserving of #20 overall, maybe.
Sep 6, 2007 12:51 PM

Aug 2007
I found Death Note brilliant so in my eyes is wasn't overrated. It followed the manga closely with only a few deviations, the music was very atmospheric and fitted the parts nicely, both of the opening/endings were awesome and it looked fantastic.

All of that and the great story, characters and events that happened made it one of my favourite anime of all time.

Sep 6, 2007 1:00 PM

Jul 2007
Death Note is one of the best animes I've ever seen.
The animation, the voice actors(Japanese),the plot, everything was excellent.
The live action movies were very good also. And though I've never read the manga I understand that the anime is very good about fallowing it, so I'd say it's probably very good too.
Short version: I would not at all say it is over-rated. In any of it's forms.

Sep 9, 2007 4:51 AM
Sep 2007
Death Note was definitely well written. Though Near and Mello weren't anywhere near the fun that L was, I still enjoyed their arcs. Everyone complains about the ending, but honestly I thought it was quite fitting for my own reasons. Don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it all yet though. As for it being over-rated, anything that's hyped up for the wrong reasons can be seen as over-rated. I know plenty of people who haven't even finished the show but give rave reviews about it since so many other people do the same.
Sep 9, 2007 8:30 AM

May 2007
First 26 episodes deserve 1# place.. in my wrecked opinion. If DN would ended there, I'd score it 10.

But Mello/Near arc was too badly adapted from original manga, allthough it still wouldn't beat L.
Sep 9, 2007 11:02 AM
Jun 2007
Well The story had its moments but like someone stated above....the non believability factor went right through the roof near Ls death and just kept on rolling. Not to mention there were a few instances where Light could have just killed everyone off and he wins...yet he kept people alive. I also found Misa character to be one of the most annoying characters ever. I think when The writer decided L was going to die and make this unconventional he didnt think about trying to put in Aqeuqiate replacements for him because Near and Mello were hardly anything as entertaining or as intelligent as L was. ( yes i know together they were as smart big deal).
Point being i think i gave it a 6 or a 7
OVerrated.....yes without question. Not to the obscene amount that some other animes have but its up there

Trevor (OP)
Sep 10, 2007 11:43 PM
Aug 2007
until episode 26 i waited every week with passion XD..
the all thing with Near and Mello ruined everything,
all the time L and Light were using they're minds and suddenly
after L died it looks like the creator got lazy,
like the thing that Near guess who's the other kira and alot thing like that..
anyway, i dont really think it was overrated, death note made with excel mind !!
Sep 11, 2007 4:46 AM

Oct 2006
Not really, true that there is really a lot of hype but that is because there are seldom many anti-heroes and a detective that looks like a monkey pursueing him, as well as all the mind games and schemes
And apart from the plot, take in mind that the animation and atmosphere have been done very very well, even though the plot might lose marks sometimes, the other factors all make up for that, including the excellent voice acting.

Like some have mentioned, I wouldnt call this the best anime I have ever seen, but it is indeed one of the better ones out there
Sep 11, 2007 5:57 AM

Feb 2007
I'm not sure about DN being over-rated yet. I put it on-hold after Episode 26. I'm actually catching up on the manga, then reading and watching the second arc at the same time, to see how each ends. I've heard over and over again that the second arc ruins DN.

At the moment, DN's (the anime) score would be on 9, but that could change easily.
Nov 10, 2007 1:30 PM
Aug 2007
erm srry for reviving this thread but........I think Death Note is overrated to be a top anime..... I luv it I truly do but that's for being a fav. Having a fav and being the best is kinda different(somewhat hard to tell but true) so it could be in the top 15 but where its at i dunno....
deli53Nov 12, 2007 1:26 PM
Nov 10, 2007 7:21 PM

Jan 2007
Yes. And I feel sad for people who think it's the best thing ever.
Nov 10, 2007 7:34 PM

Oct 2007
I, personally, don't think it's overrated. I thought the overall characters and plot were very well thought out and convincing. Sure, some of the intellectual battles seemed a bit exaggerated or over-the-top, but I've seen a lot worse. Overall, I thought it was impressive that the story brought forth many debatable issues on morality among other abstract themes. The characters themselves were very dynamic. Everyone pursued a goal where they believed what they were doing was right. The number of static, flat characters was limited.

In the end, you just have to wonder, well, if Death Note isn't in the top 10, then which ones deserve to take it's place? There will always be criticism for the top selections no matter which ones are up there.

The way I see it, I would rather see people have more hype for Death Note than some of the other popular anime titles like DBZ or Naruto.
Nov 10, 2007 7:45 PM

May 2007
In my opinion, hype always leads to hate.

Whenever I read reviews that praises an anime greatly, I end up watching with high expectations. Then, because I've already had all of its glamorous points already laid out on the table, I'm no longer going 'wow' because I expected it to be that way. We end up saying 'yeah, it was good, but not definitely not as god-like as the reviews make it out to be' because we expected it to be good, and thus, for it to actually be good, it has to be more than good - it has to be superb.

Death Note for me, was great because I started watching the moment the third episode aired and I had no background knowledge of it at all. I thought it was an interesting title and gave it to try, only to be pleasantly surprised. I had no idea what kind of anime to expect, and because of that, I found it amazing.

I suppose its somewhat similar to having a friend brag about how great he is at a sport like basketball, only to see him play and go 'meh, nothing special' because you don't like acknowledging how good something is after someone else has already done so. You want to be the first to give it praise, the first to influence others, and ultimately, you do not want to be influenced by another.

Of course, this doesn't stand true for most people, its just the way it usually works out for me. The more popular something becomes, the greater the number of people that will judge it. Of course, this leads to more people disliking it in contrast to the great number of people that love it. Its only natural, nothings perfect.

Anways, in response to the actual question, I don't Death Note is not overrated (you can read my review if you want to know why I consider it such), and I loved it, but I can understand why it may seem to be to others.
Nov 10, 2007 7:48 PM

Jun 2007
I dont think is overrated, the whole series kept me wishing for more. even though Near and Mello arc wasnt as good as L, it was still better than some anime out there, I dont think its the #1 anime out there but its definetly one of the best.
xxjanismDec 30, 2007 8:20 PM
Dec 15, 2007 7:27 PM

Dec 2007
Um, just a few words. I know it's pretty long, but read it, it might change your POV :)

first of all, I don't think there IS such thing as "Overrate". Because what do you call Overrate? People saying "It's the best Anime there is"? That's not fact. That's opinion. Personal feelings of that particular person. Everyone can think about that particular Anime (Or any kind of art - that includes music, paintings, novels etc, etc), And state that he thinks it's "the best". That's your right as a human being, but what people usually forget:

A:"Death Note is the best anime in the world"
B:"No, it's Naruto that is the best"*
A:"No, It's Death Note"
B:"No, Naruto, because..."

And here the flame war begins. But both of them forget that before their sentences is a silent "I think" Now let's redo that dialog with that "I think":

A:"I think Death Note is the best"
B:"No, I don't think Death Note is best, I think it's Naruto that's the best"
A:"No, I don't think..."

Now it seems pretty idiotic, right? Well that's what Those flame wars are. An Idiotism (That a word?), created by people who simply lack abilities in discussion.

Now then Someone will say that "It's not opinions, it's overall ratings that are overrated". Now Puh-leaaase. Overall ratings Are, like title says, Overral opinion decided by majority of people. Again, it's opinion of majority. Ratings does not say which Anime IS best. They say that there are more than X% of people that think this Anime is the best. And Your personal Opinion may differ. And if it does, the best thing you can do is vote for ANOTHER Anime which YOU think is "the best". People tend to forget about this one too. If you disagree with people that say "DN is the best", Do not Fight with them by saying "No, DN is NOT the best, it's Naruto that's the best", because like I've shown earlier it becomes a moronism (Again, is that a word? XD). Instead go to the site with Naruto, and VOTE for it. That way, you'll avoid pointless flame wars, and at the same time you'll raise your animes rating higher.
Of course it's a different thing if you point out your opinions, like "I think that ending is stupid, I think that animators did a lousy job in episode xx, I think that music" etc. That's reviewing, and it CAN help, but don't forget that it's only YOUR opinion. Do not say "It IS lousy", "It sucks", because it doesn't It's simply your mind that gives it a label, but everyone has different mind, and can have different opinion. Like people saying "Don't watch it" - it tends to make people negative to that anime, when basically they don't know how would they percieve that particular series. - but i'm going slightly off topic ^_^'

Hence the term "Overrated" is non-existant and idiotic IMHO. And personally I think many would agreee with me here (Forgive my rudeness ^_^).
With that being Said I think that DN IS a great Anime, but definately not my #1.
Thank you for reading this.

Over and out.

(*That is NOT a personal opinion, that's the first title that came to my mind. I watched 2-3 episodes and I had enough of that one XD)
MauroxDec 15, 2007 7:42 PM

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Dec 18, 2007 10:42 PM

Apr 2007
Good post. A lot of people have trouble understanding the word "opinion" though, so things like that are inevitable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 18, 2007 11:39 PM
Nov 2007
^lol, yeah.

Death Note was an adaptation that was executed very well. The endless plot twists made the show enjoyable to watch. People should praise it for what it is. It's not the greatest anime ever made but it is very good.
Dec 30, 2007 8:18 PM

Dec 2007
^ I LOLed. it's good to know people actually read others' comments XD

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jan 1, 2008 3:09 PM
Aug 2007
I really loved Death Note, since it was one of the smartest anime out there that I've seen. The characters we're very well thought out and the plot is unique. Yet, I still think Death Note is overrated.

It is the first part that is the most exciting, not the last part. Mello and Near are good, but they still can't match with L. I think the last part was okay, but for me, a story must be build up to a blast at the ending in order to be a masterpiece. Death Note failed that blast, when they killed L.

To me, Death Note is very good, there's no mistake to it, but it's just not good enough to be called a masterpiece.
Jan 2, 2008 1:51 PM
Oct 2007
Overrated? WEll I voted 'no'

but I could easily vote 'yes' because Near can't match L and in the end he wins, wtf?
It is clear that after they killed L (authors) there was a big lowdown. They tried to replace him with Melo and Near but ... Near with his toys and hair and melo ... well lets just leave melo alone ;f They just couldn't cope with replacing such a great char as L.

Even though I rated it 10 and that's my opinion ^_^ (hint: I rated many animes 10, and DN is not my #1 I oculd barely say it is in my top 5 atm.)
Jan 5, 2008 12:21 AM

Dec 2007
I've read 10 volumes of the manga, and watched 17 episodes of the show, so I can't say for certain because I haven't finished completely... but I have to say that death note is great because of the plot, characters, great artwork/animation , great sound, but also because it avoids many of the common anime cliches. It still has plenty of cliches sure, but it isn't like Elfen Lied where the whole harem thing just distracted from the story. The believability takes a dive after L's death (at least in the manga, I haven't watched that far in the show, but I assume the show follow the manga almost exactly), but most Anime and manga I've read/seen tend to get weaker story-wise as they go, it seems something inherit to the genre. DN might note be the most intelligent anime ever, but it has more of a plot than most.

All in all I say the Hype is lived up to, and if people weren't to lazy to read (it's a measly manga vol, it's not fucking Ulysses) I personally thing the manga is better than the show due to even better artwork. Great series, believe it.
Jan 24, 2008 2:24 PM

Jan 2008
If you want overrated, go look at Naruto. Death note is way more complex and deep then Naruto could ever be. It is a tad bit overrated, I wouldnt call it the best but it does deserve some populatity. The overall concept is just so creative!
----
My signature sucks right now :C
Feb 1, 2008 8:04 AM

Jul 2007
definitely not overrated.
Feb 9, 2008 5:49 AM

Dec 2007
death note is not over rated....!!! this anime is one of the best anime out there in anime history
Feb 12, 2008 8:53 PM
Nov 2007
Simply put, the best anime that I have ever seen and the best anime that I ever will see. Absolutely perfect in my eyes. The most stunning and epic storyline of all time that kept me thrilled the entire time. I feel sad for the people who didn't like it because they didn't get to enjoy it as much as I did. =(
Feb 12, 2008 9:02 PM

Nov 2007
moisey555 said:
death note is not over rated....!!! this anime is one of the best anime out there in anime history

death919 said:
Simply put, the best anime that I have ever seen and the best anime that I ever will see. Absolutely perfect in my eyes. The most stunning and epic storyline of all time that kept me thrilled the entire time. I feel sad for the people who didn't like it because they didn't get to enjoy it as much as I did. =(

Using you both as an example. Unless you've been lazy with your lists, it's easy to see that both of you haven't watched that much anime, so I think it's a little early for you to call Death Note the best anime you'll ever watch.

Death Note is a good solid anime that deserves a lot of praise. However, the praise has nearly risen to the level of narutardism...
Feb 12, 2008 10:49 PM
Dec 2007
Before watching it I always think it was overrated...after watching I can understand why it got a lot of people thumb up. I'm not a big fan nor a fan of DN, but DN was quite a good Anime compare to many other I watched.
Feb 12, 2008 10:52 PM

Apr 2007
DN is definitely overrated.

The first... maybe ten episodes were golden.

Everything else... not so much.
Feb 13, 2008 2:41 AM
Feb 2008
I can't say it is, and I can't say it isn't.
It was a brilliant anime, and even after L was eliminated, it was good.
But the end... such a big part, you know?
And it just made Light look like a sore loser.
It didn't tie up loose ends.
It didn't make everything come together.
Everything was together anyway.
It just made Light look like a sore loser.

It was a huge let down.
Feb 13, 2008 7:28 AM

Sep 2007
I don't think its over rated everyone seems to have stopped reading it at volume 7 heh.
Feb 22, 2008 11:01 AM

Feb 2008
It's a little too early for me to say if DN is overrated, as I've seen only 3 eps so far. But I have to say, the idea of putting someone's name into a notebook and that person being killed just taps into some serious character pathos/primal ideas.

I'm interested to see where they take it, because it seems like a concept that could have a lot of juice.
Axe
Co-writer / Director of the Panda Girls Anime (Watch Behind the Scenes)

Feb 22, 2008 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
Definitely overrated, but still an amazing anime either way.
Feb 22, 2008 12:40 PM

Sep 2007
I gave it a 9/10, which is slightly more than what it has overall so... not overrated. XD
Feb 24, 2008 12:07 PM

Feb 2008
Faust721 said:
for any anime with a lot of hype, there will be many who will consider it "overrated" So for sure you arent the only one. Personally, i cringe everytime i see the manga and anime in the #1 spot in the top lists, so yeah, i thinks it overrated, but at the same time, i understand why its there.

I agree, but see, that's with a twist: if something is "hype", then there will be ,,hard-core" watchers who will more or less directly say "it's too popular to be THAT good" and dismiss it in an instant, or even after some episodes watched, maybe because they have high expectations from it, maybe just because they think, as I said in the beginning that what is main-stream CAN'T be that good. Mainly, I think that the "overrated" idea is the concept of those who don't watch it or expect too much from a main-stream anime. I have to agree tho that the story is too minutiously told and explained sometimes, and other times too less, but most of the time it holds a nice balance.
Mar 2, 2008 2:47 PM

Jan 2008
It deserves a good rating but it's not "THE BEST EVAR!!!1"
It certainly isn't as overrated as that little anime that starts with a Na-and ends with a-ruto.
----
My signature sucks right now :C
Mar 3, 2008 12:32 PM

Nov 2007
the last episode just sucks, its overated. The anime pwned till L died.
But nevertheless I would still give the anime a 10
Mar 20, 2008 10:56 PM

Mar 2008
I would say that overhyped is a better word to describe Death Note than overrated. Once a series becomes popular, there will be widespread reactions. Of course there will be its mindless followers proclaiming that it's the best thing since sliced bread, it can't be helped. And of course you will have its haters. And the people in between. Death Note definitely has glaring flaws, however overall it's a very good series; even if you don't like it you'd have to you'd have to admti that a lot of thought was put into its mind games and plot twists, and the psychological nature of its characters. It's just made out to be bigger than it really is. Xyik had a good post-it's because of that hype that audiences coming into it for the first time will expect it to be as good as its hype, which most of the time ends up being hyperbole.
Mar 21, 2008 6:59 PM

Aug 2007
Its definently overratted I think, but its one of the best anime's in my opinion XD
Mar 21, 2008 7:40 PM

Nov 2007
it is not overrated!
Mar 22, 2008 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
Im sure ur gonna know my answer by my SIG, but no its not overrated.
I can understand why people feel that way cause that hype does. Its all this orgasmic bulid up and for some.. a big let down. But i love it because its unique and not like some generic anime thats out there right now. Its witty and intresting
and combines thinking and entertainment. Im still in the middle of the series but
i love it!!

<3333's FOR KIRA ALWAYS!! ^.^

Mar 22, 2008 10:27 PM

Sep 2007
You know, looking through this thread, I find it funny how many people say "overrated" and still give this anime a 9 or a 10...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xinil - Feb 2, 2007

109 by misterskinny »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM

» how many people have read or watch bl ( 1 2 )

meltrix2017 - Apr 21

68 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 24, 12:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.